Dead CM 7000 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 74 Old 04-08-2012, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There is also a 3.3v supply besides the 5v and 12v. The high +12 and low +5 indicates that power supply has a bad C12.

Make sure the caps you purchase for the 33μF 35v on the logic board are "Low ESR" caps. Replacing them with standard caps will result in the unit not working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 PM
jlv

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks. The 3.3v was perfect on both. I've already got the C12 replacements coming.

I was assuming that most Nichicon would be low ESR -- is there some part or mfg you'd suggest?
post #33 of 74 Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Each manufacturer makes caps with different characteristics and the price varies with it. A general purpose cap will be low cost than a low esr.

I have not purchased any from Cap King, but when I looked, the had brand name low esr caps. I expect these will be fine for the power supply board.

For the 33µF 35v, I used either Nichicon UHE1V330MDD or Panasonic EEU-FM1V330
post #34 of 74 Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
jlv

(been out of town)

After replacing all the caps (except E5 and E6), I've got one power supply putting out good voltages, but neither circuit board is doing anything but giving me anything but 'red'. I don't remember if an antenna connection was necessary, so I've even been connecting that when trying. I've not even attempted to do anything with the second power supply (since one is good).

I had hoped to pick up up the other two caps by now, but haven't been able to (out of town). They are my last hope.
post #35 of 74 Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlv View Post

(been out of town)

After replacing all the caps (except E5 and E6), I've got one power supply putting out good voltages, but neither circuit board is doing anything but giving me anything but 'red'. I don't remember if an antenna connection was necessary, so I've even been connecting that when trying. I've not even attempted to do anything with the second power supply (since one is good).

I had hoped to pick up up the other two caps by now, but haven't been able to (out of town). They are my last hope.

I have had to fix mine twice now (bad soldering) and my 7000 wouldn't go green for 4-5 minutes after being plugged in (no antenna needed) Make sure you give it some time.
post #36 of 74 Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 PM

No antenna connection is needed. The time it takes to go green depends on which of two software version that I have seen. One boots in about 30 seconds, the other about 15-18 seconds.
post #37 of 74 Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebar View Post

No antenna connection is needed. The time it takes to go green depends on which of two software version that I have seen. One boots in about 30 seconds, the other about 15-18 seconds.

Mine took minutes both times I fixed it.
post #38 of 74 Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 PM
jlv

I've let them sit for over a minute, but I'll try longer. Thanks for the replies!
post #39 of 74 Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM
jlv

Ah... Thank you! I connected the good power supply to one repaired logic board, and when I came back 5 minutes later, it was green. The other logic board didn't go green, though.

I'll recheck my soldering on the logic board. I thought I was careful to not make a cold joint anywhere.

The not-good power supply is reading 3.10v / 3.33v / 11.13v (for the 3.3/5/12). Not sure what I messed up there.
post #40 of 74 Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM
jlv

While it went green, when I hooked it up, it only was able to decode 3 of 18 stations. So, I've got it back on the bench.
post #41 of 74 Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 PM
jlv

I declare defeat. I'm sending my units to Whitebar. I should have done so in the first place and saved myself lots of effort!
post #42 of 74 Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 AM
jlv

Got both my CM-7000s back from Whitebar, and both are back in service. I highly recommend him.

(I spent 3 weeks working on them, while the round trip to him and back was just 7 days!)
post #43 of 74 Old 05-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Thought I'd share my experience.

The 3.3v supply was low (about 3v)
The 5v supply was 6v and the 12v supply was almost 16v.

As per suggestions, I replaced most of the caps on the power supply board. I then plugged it in and watched the led go green.

I realize that other caps might be marginal, but it appears that the power supply board is genuinely defective.
post #44 of 74 Old 05-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I've seen quite a few computer motherboards and lots of computer power supplies chucked because of electrolytic caps gone bad.
Better brands (ASUS, GIGABYTE, etc.. ) now use solid capacitors which contain a solid organic polymer in place of electrolytic capacitors that use a liquid electrolyte on their high end motherboards. The solid caps don't "gas out", leak, or expand like poorly made inexpensive electrolytic capacitors used in consumer grade consumer electronics.

Electrolytic capacitors....

Solid capacitors.....

The solid capacitors sound like they're excellent long-term solution. Does anyone have a complete CM-7000 solid caps parts list from a recommended supplier?

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Save Free HDTV: Facebook Page

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #45 of 74 Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Sad News: Steve Inglett:

I emailed Steve to ask about his telescopic mast experience. However, I didn't receive a reply. With a Google search I unfortunately discovered Steve had recently passed away in an auto accident. He was only 48 yrs old. frown.gif

I had previously corresponded with Steve about his VHF-hi antenna experience. Steve was a member of AVS and most recently learned how to repair his CM-7000 from this thread. I will miss Steve and his blogg.

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #46 of 74 Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ota.dt.man View Post

Sad News: Steve Inglett:

I emailed Steve to ask about his telescopic mast experience. However, I didn't receive a reply. With a Google search I unfortunately discovered Steve had recently passed away in an auto accident. He was only 48 yrs old. frown.gif ....
Are you aware of We'll Miss You Gary Leonard! (aka l8er)recently posted over at PlanetReplay?

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #47 of 74 Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

No, I was not aware about Gary Leonard. It's sad that both he and Steve passed away so early in life.

post #48 of 74 Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 PM

I have a dead unit, red light on, no led display and no sound or picture. How much to you charge to repair? I am interested thanks.
post #49 of 74 Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM

I too have two of the CM-7000's that were purchased at the same time. One RED lighted about a week ago. Sent both to WhiteBar for repair. Turnaround was less than a week. Very professional job. I highly recommend him. Send him a PM (Personal Message) for instructions...

Keep in mind that on Ebay, these converters are still selling between $50 and $100 dollars for complete models with remotes. I intend to keep mine as I still do not own a DTV. All my TV's are still CRT's.

Thanks again WhiteBar!
post #50 of 74 Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM

Thanks for this Posting. It has saved 3 units from the landfill plus delayed three televisions from never ever land!
post #51 of 74 Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 PM

I've got one red-lighted unit, one that is OK. The only anomaly among PSU voltages on the bad one is 11.65 on the 12V supply. For the other two, I get 4.95 and 3.33, seems close enough. Before I start desoldering on the logic board, does anybody think the 11.65 is cause for concern?

Thanks! This is a great thread.
post #52 of 74 Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 PM

The +12v is used only in the audio section and is not critical. 11.65 is a bit low but should not cause a problem.
Typical voltages of the units I have repaired are:
+12.06 to 11.91, avg 11.98
+5.19 to 5.17, avg 5.18
+3.3 to 3.26, avg 3.278
Logic board power supply
+1.2 to 1.184, avg 1.192

When replacing caps, make sure to use good quality low ESR caps. Using standard caps on the logic board E5/E6 WILL cause the the light to stay red.
post #53 of 74 Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 PM

Thanks, Whitebar. You were certainly right about voltage on the 12-volt supply. The PSU from that (faulty) unit successfully powers on my working unit (i.e. the logic board on it).

And the PSU from the good, working unit does not produce a green light on the faulty unit.

On the faulty unit, I've pulled both 33uF electrolytics, the 1000uF, and one of the 470uF. All of them read with correct capacitance. But I understand that your position is, a bad ESR could still occur on one or more and prevent the unit from functioning.

Correct? (I can't measure ESR, as far as I know.)

Thanks again!
post #54 of 74 Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 PM

To measure the ESR you need a LCR meter. The two 33uf part are the ones that need to be replaced. They are in the 1.2v switching power supply circuit. The other 470/1000 are bulk capacitors and do not get stressed.
post #55 of 74 Old 04-02-2013, 01:01 PM

It's fixed! Whitebar, you were totally right about the 33uF caps on the logic board being the problem -- despite reading correct for capacitance. I put in some Panasonic FRs and got the green light right away. I then went in and replaced the suggested PSU caps. There'd previously been a hiss coming off the PSU board; interestingly the hiss stopped when the PSU was able to successfully power the logic board. But it would come back on when the unit was turned off. The hiss stopped once the new caps were in place. Also interestingly, I don't believe the hiss was coming from any of the caps, but instead from transformer.

BTW, for the 1000uF cap, I used a 16-volt Nichicon HE, because why not. Insurance. It fits easily and costs no more, maybe less, than the 10-volt.

For desoldering on the logic board -- I actually was able to achieve this with a conventional iron. As everyone notes, it's the ground pin that's the harder one. I first got every bit of solder off the positive side, with a sucker -- till that side was unattached and loose. I then sucked all the solder I could off the ground side after getting it quite hot. After that, I reheated for as much as 20-30 seconds and wiggled the cap from the top side while keeping the pin hot. Once it was loose, I pulled it off. Board was fine, intact. For the new cap, you can simply get the ground lead very, very hot, and then let the lead draw a good-sized bead of solder down into the board. This technique is only for experienced wigglers. It would be easy to burn something, like your hand.

Thanks, Whitebar, you're a hero.
post #56 of 74 Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 PM

While I was watching the TV, my TV stopped working completely
When I pulled the plug from the wall and put it back in, it is RED.

Checked the voltages - the 3.3v is spot on - but
12.8v on 12v line
5.5v on 5v line

Are the voltages indicate fault? If so which capacitors? Is Frys electronics a good place to buy?
post #57 of 74 Old 09-13-2013, 04:25 AM

The 5 and 12 volts are a bit high, see this post for the typical voltages.

This post lists my suggested parts for the power supply board.

There are also two caps on the logic board that will need to be replaced. These are very difficult to replace because of the ground plane make a very good heatsink. Recommended parts are in this post.

I took a quick look at parts available from Fry's online. Majority of the caps are NTE. NTE does not provide any ESR specs so I would not recommend using them. Use the parts I list and you will have no problems.

Send me a PM if you want me to repair it for you.
post #58 of 74 Old 09-13-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebar View Post

The 5 and 12 volts are a bit high, see this post for the typical voltages.

There are also two caps on the logic board that will need to be replaced. These are very difficult to replace because of the ground plane make a very good heatsink. Recommended parts are in this post.

I took a quick look at parts available from Fry's online. Majority of the caps are NTE. NTE does not provide any ESR specs so I would not recommend using them. Use the parts I list and you will have no problems.

Thanks @Whitebar.

What are the Cap #s corresponding to 5 and 12 volts?

What is ESR - are they Electrolytic?

I already checked the voltages on the logic board Caps and compared with that of a post in this thread - they are spot on.

Is that yellow stuff on that big capacitor intended - see photo below - what # is this cap? - other than this, I didn't see any visible sign of damages:

post #59 of 74 Old 09-13-2013, 07:00 PM

The cap for the 3.3 is really the bad one. The power supply regulates this voltage and the +5/+12 are setup to be correct when the 3.3 is correct. Most on the time the caps will not look bad. C12 is the main problem in the 3.3 circuit,

The DC voltage measured with a meter does not show the noise or ripple voltage that is present. It is the noise that causes it not to work.

If the two caps on the logic board are not bad now, they will be shortly after fixing the power supply.

The cap with the yellow stuff is C1. Because of its' size, the yellow stuff is applied to keep the part stable when vibration or physical shock is applied to the unit.

All of these caps are electrolytics. ESR is the abbreviation for Equivalent Series Resistance. This is a parameter of every electrolytic and is not always specified by the manufacturer. In switching power supplies used by most electronics today, it is extremely important to use low ESR parts intended for these power supplies.

Even though the voltages measure ok with a meter, the caps are the problem.
ClearToLand likes this.
post #60 of 74 Old 09-13-2013, 07:18 PM

Thanks indeed @Whitebar

I measured the voltages again (day time repeatedly) and I got:
12.42 V
5.37 V
3.28 V

The logic board gave me - Whitebar, what are the part # for these? Are these two difficult to change?
3.04 V
1.17 V

The last measurement was made in the night time.

Does the new measurement still point to the same issue? The Post #8 seems to have found other issues - would this be the case on mine?
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page