5000 Series Power Supply Repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As evidenced by a failure to boot at all, no video output, a stopped fan and particularly with Mikeyboy's diagnostic advice, I found myself with a power supply that suffered from the somewhat typical problem of being a volt low on the yellow wires to the motherboard (2.3 instead of 3.3 volts). After removing the PS board I looked closely to see if there was any obvious cause of the failure - and there was!
The capacitor located just inboard of the coil had a very small hole in the top right at the intersection of the X scored on the top. That scored X is there to provide a weak spot for a cap to pop when it fails and it worked as designed. That particular cap is a 2200mfd 10v electrolytic. Basic soldering skills are all that's required to change the cap which is available at any well stocked electronics shop (cost $2). Use some desoldering wick to remove the bad cap and solder in the new one being sure to observe polarity - the negative side to the shaded hole - and you're good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I pays to be handy with a soldering iron- and some knowledge!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #3 of 4 Old 05-08-2011, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The electrolytic caps do have a finite lifetime. At work, we have a ten-year replacement program for these capacitors on our older control systems and power supplies. It is not that the caps will fail at ten-years, just that their reliability starts to degrade somewhere at 10+ years. However, I expect that we will see more units with bad caps in the next 3-5 years.

I have lost 3-4 motherboards made in the early 2000s to this failure mode. It is interesting to note the my motherboards from earlier are still working fine ( for example, a 1995 IBM Aptiva that I use for running rehearsal scores when my spouse directs theatrical productions)
post #4 of 4 Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobin View Post

As evidenced by a failure to boot at all, no video output, a stopped fan and particularly with Mikeyboy's diagnostic advice, I found myself with a power supply that suffered from the somewhat typical problem of being a volt low on the yellow wires to the motherboard (2.3 instead of 3.3 volts). After removing the PS board I looked closely to see if there was any obvious cause of the failure - and there was!
The capacitor located just inboard of the coil had a very small hole in the top right at the intersection of the X scored on the top. That scored X is there to provide a weak spot for a cap to pop when it fails and it worked as designed. That particular cap is a 2200mfd 10v electrolytic. Basic soldering skills are all that's required to change the cap which is available at any well stocked electronics shop (cost $2). Use some desoldering wick to remove the bad cap and solder in the new one being sure to observe polarity - the negative side to the shaded hole - and you're good to go.

good catch. ill check that on one i have from ebay that igot for parts. its got lifetime service. dan
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page