Originally Posted by kepy
Curious if this was doable.
Admittedly an odd configuration but I can appreciate the idea behind utilizing the Tivo's ability to use a cable card for digital tv but have the Replay beable to record for use with other RTV's in the house (and DVArchive)
Does ReplayTV have ir blaster capabilites/control over a TIVO box?
This would be the ulimate hack job.
1. You would need custom IR files to control the Tivo uploaded to your replay.
2. You would need to use the 480i composite output from the Tivo. The best input to the RTV is S-Video, and unless your Tivo has it, composite you must use.
3. You MAY need to create a custom channel lineup.
4. Your RTV can and will ONLY send numeric digits. (There are some caveats, but that requires mucho hacking and very custom IR Files). Remember, if you are required for any reason to press any other set of buttons to get your Tivo to tune a channel, you are SOL. If Tivo suggests something, you are SOL. If Tivo needs you to press "What's on TV" first each time before entering a channel number, you are likely SOL. Your RTV has NO WAY of knowing the last state of the Tivo.
4. You WILL need to HOPE that the Tivo doesn't put up ANY nag screens asking to be subscribed / press OK / etc..., becuase the RTV has NO way of knowing what is being displayed on the screen. Nothing like seeing a week's worth of "Please subscribe to Tivo to enjoy the full features of your DVR. Press "OK" to acknowledge this message" when you get home.
In theory, possible. But no guarantees. Why don't you buy an unsubbed Tivo and see if you can make it work? My gut tells me you will find it is more trouble than it is worth.