post #661 of 687 Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

I don't see a reason for them (DNNA) to spend the money to develop a software update to prevent people from spoofing a LT unit to get free guide data.

Agree.

I'm not sure it's even worth maintaining a billing department to support monthly subs at this point, much less the effort to lock them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 687 Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

It was not discussed, per se. I brought it up as the only reason that DNNA would consider ordering a software update...

...The serial number is on the EPROM of the unit. Let us say a person had one lifetime RTV, and several that were not lifetimed by DNNA. They don't want to pay for monthly service, nor do they want to pay for SD and set up a WiRNS machine. In theory, they could 'clone' the EPROM from the LT unit and put those clones in their non-lifetimed units in order to continue having the clocks on those units set by DNNA and have guide data fed to those units by DNNA.

I have no idea if the EPROMs themselves are encrypted. I really don't care anymore. And if the EPROMs aren't socketed, this becomes a PITA...

Ah, you were just HYPOTHESIZING!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
[And, the number of folks in our ever-dwindling community capable of successfully performing that feat...]
And, continuing to think out loud, why wouldn't different MACs with the same Serial Number get rejected?
Spoiler  
[Since, identical MACs with different Serial Numbers *DO* get rejected during IVS...]
PERSONALLY, I'm going to continue to be *VERY* THANKFUL for all the unexpected 'Gifts' that were bestowed upon me over the past ~6 weeks.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #663 of 687 Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnoland View Post

I have been running MythTV for a couple years now ...

...and greater potential, I'm sure that the MythTV community would love to have you onboard.

- Les

Thanks for the write up. I've been wondering where MythTV was in development (for like the last 2 years). MythTV has seemed to be my fate, but garsh, I am still going to hold out for something with less grunt work. Still in limbo here.
post #664 of 687 Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
And, continuing to think out loud, why wouldn't different MACs with the same Serial Number get rejected?
Spoiler  
[Since, identical MACs with different Serial Numbers *DO* get rejected during IVS...]

I could care less about IVS. You really only need one machine that has matching numbers for IVS. Your DVR's primary function should be to record shows. I don't think that DNNA activation and DNNA guide data cares about non-matching numbers... Actually, there would be no way that one of my repaired machines (I moved an EPROM after a lightning strike) would work if an EPROM was matched to a MAC...

PERSONALLY, I'm going to continue to be *VERY* THANKFUL for all the unexpected 'Gifts' that were bestowed upon me over the past ~6 weeks.
Me too!

I now have six RTVs to use as I wish... Too bad I don't have as many sources to record at this time. I am sure that will change soon, though...

Cheers!
-Doug
post #665 of 687 Old 08-06-2011, 07:07 AM

Hello,
I am a little slow coming back but the hardware is somewhat obsolete due to the fact it
is not all that hard to clone the serial number or rom chip except it is a 3 volt rather than a 5 volt one, and some are soldered in. I said the hardware was obsolete because making new units was mentioned.
Also the unit is a non HD unit which I like because it allows about 5 or more times more shows to be recorded on a hard drive than HD unit would.
The original design for even the latest units was made how many years ago?
There has been newer chips with more semiconductor density and encryption needed for new designs so you can't copy movies so easy to your PC. (Due to potential law suits) They also need the SATA interface to use the new hard drives made now.
Some of these upgrades are needed to make the units less expensive than they would be using old hardware some of which may not be currently in production.
The clock can be set without service on a unit by writing direct to the clock chip
,but there needs to be a better battery backup to keep it working without line power if unplugged or power outage. The .5 farad caps go bad and don't last so long.

I said something about using the technology to produce new units. This does not mean hardware itself the hardware rights are likely owned by the various component manufacturers. I was talking about the total circuit design and software interface what ever part of they have patented or registered copyright.

They meaning who ever owns the above mentioned technology.
Whether it be Direct TV or DNNA or somebody else.

If one owns one part and the other owns the other one could compensate the service providers to do what ever they did for some kind of test to find out how it goes over, and the user public reaction.

The DNNA people must not be making much money on the service any more so outside
compensation might come in useful.

"PERSONALLY, I'm going to continue to be *VERY* THANKFUL for all the unexpected 'Gifts' that were bestowed upon me over the past ~6 weeks."
What were these gifts if you can say?

Thank You
post #666 of 687 Old 08-06-2011, 07:46 PM

Hey there and here's a toast to continuing use of our Replays! I've found this an amazing story as we've wondered if we were suddenly going to have 3 wired bricks ready for recycling on August 1. I was shocked last night when I turned mine on "just to see" and read the welcome message.

However, and there's always a however, now MReplay can't read the boxes because they are "unconfigured." Is this related to the change? Has anyone else seen this? DVArchive can't access them either.

Thanks!
post #667 of 687 Old 08-17-2011, 06:54 PM

Hello there,
Now people are selling replaytv boxes saying they are lifetime and some are not.
They are showing the info screen with it showing "activated".
However if it says only "activated" it may not be lifetime as monthly units are
showing the same thing even if they have not paid for the subscription at this time.
Some units also say (one time fee paid) these are likely lifetime in this case.
Why some lifetime units say only "activated" I do not know but you must contact replaytv some way to verify if a unit only showing "activated" is or not lifetime activated to receive guide at least while it is still available.
People need to provide the full activation key number to verify the unit or allow refund and shipping for return if it is not as they claim a lifetime unit.
Thank you
post #668 of 687 Old 08-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
"Activated" means no need to talk to the mothership to remain alive.

Remember, even "lifetime" units turned to bricks if they couldn't talk to the mothership every now and then.
post #669 of 687 Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow View Post

Thanks for the write up. I've been wondering where MythTV was in development (for like the last 2 years). MythTV has seemed to be my fate, but garsh, I am still going to hold out for something with less grunt work. Still in limbo here.

The ReplayTV shut down scare (RSDS) of 2011 caused me to go back to looking at Mythtv after having been curious about it for years.

I am quite happy that I went that route. I loved my ReplayTVs, and would have most likely gone on using them and paying the monthly fees if it weren't for the RSDS.

The added functionality and scalibility of the Mythtv system is just too hard to move back from.

It took me a couple of weeks of monkeying around and fiddling to get it working the way I wanted. Some of that time was spent waiting for e-bay purchased hardware to arrive. I have been using Ubuntu as a desktop at home for years. I am not sure how long it would have taken me if I had no Linux experience.

If you have any questions about it or need any help let me know at ryancase at that gmailthingy. I feel like I should give back to the Mythtv community after the amount of help I received getting mine running.

Ryan
post #670 of 687 Old 08-18-2011, 06:34 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

"Activated" means no need to talk to the mothership to remain alive.

Remember, even "lifetime" units turned to bricks if they couldn't talk to the mothership every now and then.

Activation status is irrelevant when you have WiRNS 3. It looks like most people selling on eBay don't know that.
post #671 of 687 Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVRDVR View Post

Hello there,

They are showing the info screen with it showing "activated".
However if it says only "activated" it may not be lifetime as monthly units are
showing the same thing even if they have not paid for the subscription at this time.

Right - when DNNA suspended billing, they changed the activation string to just "Activated" for both lifetime and monthly units, where lifetime ones USED to say "Activated (one-time fee paid)"... I'm not sure what the monthly ones used to say.

Quote:

Some units also say (one time fee paid) these are likely lifetime in this case.
Why some lifetime units say only "activated" I do not know but you must contact replaytv some way to verify if a unit only showing "activated" is or not lifetime activated to receive guide at least while it is still available.

Yeah, they may have some old screenshots that still show the old activation string. But, it is also possible to set that string to anything you want now -- mine says "Activated (WiRNS)" -- so even that is no guarantee that it is a "lifetime" unit.

Still, unless you are going to pay a premium for "lifetime", it doesn't matter much, since there are now multiple methods for self-authorization anyway -- even if you are going to keep connecting to the mothership.
post #672 of 687 Old 08-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

Activation status is irrelevant when you have WiRNS 3. It looks like most people selling on eBay don't know that.

Shhhh . . . and let's not tell them
post #673 of 687 Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 PM

Hello,
I tried to hook up wirns and couldn't quite get it right.
I really wasn't sure what I was going to have it do anyway.
I guess I really wanted to use the DVarchive.
Eventually they may stop giving guide service to the monthly units without pay.
It sounds like they should be continuing guide service at least for a while for the lifetime units.
So since they can say the same on lifetime and monthly units the screenshots alone
can not tell the true status.
You have to contact replaytv in some way to confirm the status as long as they are
giving out correct info hopefully.
I may be buying at least one more unit soon and hopefully it will be a lifetime unit.
I think the one I just bought is not though.
Oh Well I have bought about 10 tivo units and only one is a lifetime unit but Most were less than $25.00 each. Lots of spare parts!
I need to finish configuring to setup a larger drive for the tivo.
The RTVpatch works so nice for the replay units. I can do it all over usb/ide adaptors.
I wonder if RTVpatch would work on a tivo drive?
Right now I only have so much time and room to mess with these things to get too complicated in configuration.
Thanks
post #674 of 687 Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hello,
I tried to hook up wirns and couldn't quite get it right.
I really wasn't sure what I was going to have it do anyway.
I guess I really wanted to use the DVarchive.
Eventually they may stop giving guide service to the monthly units without pay.
It sounds like they should be continuing guide service at least for a while for the lifetime units.
So since they can say the same on lifetime and monthly units the screenshots alone
can not tell the true status.
You have to contact replaytv in some way to confirm the status as long as they are
giving out correct info hopefully.
I may be buying at least one more unit soon and hopefully it will be a lifetime unit.
I think the one I just bought is not though.
Oh Well I have bought about 10 tivo units and only one is a lifetime unit but Most were less than $25.00 each. Lots of spare parts!
I need to finish configuring to setup a larger drive for the tivo.
The RTVpatch works so nice for the replay units. I can do it all over usb/ide adaptors.
I wonder if RTVpatch would work on a tivo drive?
Right now I only have so much time and room to mess with these things to get too complicated in configuration.
Thanks

Since the mid-June activation changes, there is no such thing as a "monthly" unit. It's just their database that's different.

Aa to RTVPatch and the USB adapters, it can save a lot of work. You can even use the Replay as a power supply for the drive during re-imaging.
post #675 of 687 Old 08-19-2011, 06:23 PM

Hi again,
Yea I know they will all work right now but they stated they are intending to eventually
charge for monthly units again.
I bought one from a guy that said it was a lifetime unit and it seems to be a moonthly unit and will likely end up being a monthly charged unit again once that system is implemented again instead of this free activation going on right now.
Then I just bought another one I called them to verify before buying it.
So I guess I will try to network a lifetime with guide service to a July free activation
with no guide and timer record and hope it all works ok.
Maybe I might try to get wirns to do some of the guide stuff someday when I have more time.
I did figure out a way to keep the clock running when unplugged so I can even just keep it in storage when not needed.
Thanks
post #676 of 687 Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:

I did figure out a way to keep the clock running when unplugged so I can even just keep it in storage when not needed

How did you do that?
post #677 of 687 Old 08-21-2011, 08:09 PM

Hello,
Yea I just noticed that those .5 farad caps don't last all that long even shorter time when they are old and worn out etc.
I just put a nicad battery in there with a charge resistor and isolation diode.
It will eventually go dead too though so if you do not want to plug it in once in a while
I guess you could put a connector for a wall wart and another resistor.
It is harder to set the clock without service but with 2 more wires you can connect
to an activated unit while connecting and set both clocks at once.
It sounds a little risky but worked on a unit I had without a phone or network connection. This should be done only while the slave unit is unplugged from the wall and
the power for the clock coming from the other unit getting the time from the connection. There was no other way to set the clock without network connect unless you could make some kind of software mod to allow to set with remote.
Later.
post #678 of 687 Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 PM

Hello again,
Above I said "It is harder to set the clock without service but with 2 more wires you can connect to an activated unit while connecting and set both clocks at once."
This should have said a unit with phone or internet working not needed to be activated.
The clock will set on either.
Also I tried to connect to a replay tv box with DVarchive and the box was recieving data but not sending back. Does the computer need to be connected to the internet
or have Wirns running and configured properly to work with DVarchive?

Thanks
post #679 of 687 Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 PM

I know this might not be the right place to post this, if it can not be answered here hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction for answers.

I have two Reply 5XXX units both are in the same place each time I want to use one I have to cover the other as the remote controls both at the same time. Is there a way to make them work on different remote so each one will have a dedicated remote.

Thanks
post #680 of 687 Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Noticed that my SS hasn't connected to the RTV dial-up service for several days, and won't do it when forced. I can hear the server's modem (with a phone) but the SS says it either didn't get an answer or tries to connect but then times out. Now my Guide runs only thru Thurs.

The other odd thing is if I go to try a different telephone number, the SS first tells me that my provider has changed and makes me configure the SS all over again, inputs, cable box & IR code, & only then the telephone number (all correctly retained in memory, nonetheless).

Tried a reboot, checked the phone lines, and neither local number works. Is it them or me? Is there a modem test I can do?
Anyone else getting this?
post #681 of 687 Old 09-05-2011, 01:33 PM

I just read a post about someone's SS not downloading the program guide.

I have a Replay TV (don't know what an SS is?) and it's got the same problem - hasn't downloaded since Sept. 1. I have tried manually also, no results. Same message tells me that there was a problem and would try again later.

I will call Replay TV tomorrow (Tuesday) but wondered if anyone has an answer?

Normally, if the ReplayTV can't download the guide, it will send a message that says there was a problem. The last time I got a message was on Sept. 1st.

Anybody have any information? Sounds almost like they are killing off the guide even though we get that message onscreen that says they are continuing the service. Thanks to anyone who helps. I'm new to this site so I apologize if I'm not doing things right!
post #682 of 687 Old 09-05-2011, 01:34 PM

I've had the same problem. I just block the one that I am not using. It's a pain, but I can't find a way to make the remotes work separately.
post #683 of 687 Old 09-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by catswine View Post

I just read a post about someone's SS not downloading the program guide.

I have a Replay TV (don't know what an SS is?) and it's got the same problem - hasn't downloaded since Sept. 1. I have tried manually also, no results. Same message tells me that there was a problem and would try again later.

I will call Replay TV tomorrow (Tuesday) but wondered if anyone has an answer?

Normally, if the ReplayTV can't download the guide, it will send a message that says there was a problem. The last time I got a message was on Sept. 1st.

Anybody have any information? Sounds almost like they are killing off the guide even though we get that message onscreen that says they are continuing the service. Thanks to anyone who helps. I'm new to this site so I apologize if I'm not doing things right!

I updated the guide on a monthly unit this weekend with no problem.
post #684 of 687 Old 09-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Noticed that my SS hasn't connected to the RTV dial-up service for several days, and won't do it when forced. I can hear the server's modem (with a phone) but the SS says it either didn't get an answer or tries to connect but then times out. Now my Guide runs only thru Thurs.

The other odd thing is if I go to try a different telephone number, the SS first tells me that my provider has changed and makes me configure the SS all over again, inputs, cable box & IR code, & only then the telephone number (all correctly retained in memory, nonetheless).

Tried a reboot, checked the phone lines, and neither local number works. Is it them or me? Is there a modem test I can do?
Anyone else getting this?

This may help worked for me!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357940
post #685 of 687 Old 09-05-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajon View Post

This may help worked for me!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357940

That did the trick, thanks. Also feel like an idiot to learn that B-band calls are also local.

There must be a way to pickup new RTV threads as they start, since I missed that one completely.
post #686 of 687 Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Changed the number that the Replay TV dials. Moved it from "Alternate" (local call) to "Primary" (toll charge)

But it worked! It downloaded the program guide instantly - just like normal - THANK YOU everyone!
post #687 of 687 Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Hello,
Maybe if you can find some fiberoptic cable you can make a little boxlike thing open in one end to shine the remote and the fiberoptic cable in the other end.
Then put the other end of the cable in front of one of the replaytv boxes sealed off so as not to let in signals from the remote when pointed at the other replaytv unit.
You could do similar with remote extender system etc.
Or even wire a IR led onto the remote for one unit and connect it in front of the receiver like above.
A different way would be to use a configuration of mirrors to allow you to point the remote in a different direction to activate one of the receivers.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page