End of ReplayTV Electronic Programming Guide Service - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is what I learned:

EVERYTHING is closing down on 7/31 - the servers, tech support, the website.

No servers means no clock or channels, and you will not be able to choose a provider.

The blaster codes are on the hard drive of the units, so if you manually enter a channel, it can send it to the cable box.

You will not be able to choose a provider, so you will not be able to get channels, or a blank channel guide.

All recording setups will disappear. Any on-going (record every week, etc), will be gone.

They have no idea how anyone will even be able to manually record since you will need the clock to be in sync and channels (which cannot be manually entered since you have to get them via a provider) to do this. They hope to get clarification on this later.

So, if WiRNS needs DNNA servers for anything, it will not work either.

I would love to pool together any buy them out. The contact is this person:
Michael Begala
VP Service
D&M Holdings
100 Corporate Dr.
Mahwah, NJ 07430
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by choliscott View Post

The monthly unit that I have now says "Activated". Someone else reported they tried activating an unactivated unit & it activated just fine with no problems.

Actually, if you read it again, they didn't say that. They said that they couldn't get an unsubscribed unit activated, and then they later posted that they got two units activated. So, it certainly wasn't clear to me that the second post was talking about unsubscribed units specifically, it could have been the two units that he had on monthly subscription...

I also pulled out one of my never subscribed units that I was keeping for spare parts, and I've yet to be able to activate it...

Henry
post #93 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

Acutally, that's also a function of the DHCP server. Renewing leases and requesting leases aren't the same thing. When the RTV reboots every week, it asks for a new lease, just like your laptop or PC would do if you reboot it. However, the RTV requests the same lease it had last time, which your laptop and PC do as well, and it depends on the DHCP server if it wants to grant it the same lease it had previously. Many DHCP servers keep track of the last lease of every device and when they ask for a new lease, they give the their old one automatically. But, since the protocol has in it for devices to tell the DHCP server what lease they would like to have, if your DHCP server had that lease available and didn't give it to that device, then it would simply be that it wasn't implemented...

All of these things with leases are all part of the spec. The problem comes from very simply implemented DHCP servers which don't provide for the full features, but still do a reasonable job of giving out addresses...

Henry

Thanks. That is what is supposed to happen, but because of the bug, it assigns a second lease when the unit has a static one so in essence the unit now has two which leads to a conflict. It doesn't work as in your description - it is flawed.
post #94 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 AM

So to be clear, WiRNS will set the clock of the ReplayTV units, right? I understand it will send out channel guide info, if correctly configured with schedulesdirect.
post #95 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 View Post

They have no idea how anyone will even be able to manually record since you will need the clock to be in sync and channels (which cannot be manually entered since you have to get them via a provider) to do this. They hope to get clarification on this later.

Have faith in the community we *will* make it work. The hardest part (guide data) is done.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #96 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is what I learned:

EVERYTHING is closing down on 7/31 - the servers, tech support, the website.

No servers means no clock or channels, and you will not be able to choose a provider.

The blaster codes are on the hard drive of the units, so if you manually enter a channel, it can send it to the cable box.

You will not be able to choose a provider, so you will not be able to get channels, or a blank channel guide.

All recording setups will disappear. Any on-going (record every week, etc), will be gone.

I would love to pool together any buy them out. The contact is this person:
Michael Begala
VP Service
D&M Holdings
100 Corporate Dr.
Mahwah, NJ 07430

Well, that's completely different information that they gave me yesterday! And, it isn't clear that anyone at RTV support actually knows how it's going to be implemetned. The servers aren't even located in Waco with the support office, so I'm not sure that they would know what's going to happen with them. I could certainly see that they may be planning to shut down the Waco support center, but since the servers aren't located there, it shouldn't be a problem...

I glad you were able to get some contact information, because they told me yesterday that they had none to give...

Henry
post #97 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RChobby View Post

So to be clear, WiRNS will set the clock of the ReplayTV units, right? I understand it will send out channel guide info, if correctly configured with schedulesdirect.

No, WiRNS doesn't set the clock, it only proxies the clock set request...

Henry
post #98 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

Have faith in the community we *will* make it work. The hardest part (guide data) is done.

Robert

I have SO much faith in you all - believe me. I just don't think anything that exists right now can actually work. Something new has to be developed since everything depends on DNNA's servers, which are shutting down. They are completely closing the company, which is held by D&M.

And it isn't just the guide data going - that was misleading of them - it is EVERYTHING.
post #99 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 AM

We all knew this day was going to come someday.
My only hope is that the 'Activated' status without a date means forever and never needs to checkin with the mothership in the future (Permanant activation).
I'm confident that the WiRNS and SD folks will make whatever adjustments needed to keep our boxen running.
post #100 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 AM

Just got the dreaded message after turning on my TV/replaytv. What a hassle. On the plus side, it's good to see the community still active.

So what I gather from this thread
1) We will still be able to use the replaytv by using WiRNS with Schedules Direct ($20 a year). This will actually be cheaper for me, since I'm one of the fools on a monthly plan

2) there's a problem with clock setting

3) Activating a unit is also a problem since it uses ReplayTV servers

Is that right?

Also for the people talking about DHCP problems, it's possible to assign your ReplayTV the same IP address using custom firmware on a router. Newer routers might even have this feature built in. I've been doing this for several years and never had a problem. Here's my router running DD-WRT.
LL
post #101 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

I think a lot of us old time Wirns users will try to help the new folks. WOrk and travel are constraints, but I figure the more the merrier. Maybe start some Help to the new comers threads and encourage folks to post installation / setup issues there.

The clock issue seems to be the main hurdle after 7/31. One very much hopes that a solution is discovered to allow clock setting absent the daily Mothership contact. Seems to be key. Wirns is actually an enhancement to DNNA guides, and $20/yr for the Schedules Direct data is a bargain in my view.

Cliff
post #102 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

It would be nice if they pushed a software update that decrypted the files on the drive for starters. Fat chance of that happening. It would also be beneficial for the hacker community to start logging all mothership contacts and keeping those logs and data to reproduce things (including the activation algorithm). My understanding is that it was rumored years ago that all this had already been worked out by some elite folks and it would show up when the service went away.
post #103 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 11:34 AM

I am geeky, but not WiRNS geeky. I am willing to help in getting something working for the replay community. I am even going to contact D&M and see if anything can be done to salvage what they have (through buy out or whatever).

To make this work, we would almost need to start a new centralized service. Co-op anyone?
post #104 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 11:40 AM

Do you think there will be any issues with having Wirns set the replay time using the clock on the computer that Wirns is installed?

With everything else Wirns can do, I would think this would be "easy" to implement, but I could be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post
No, WiRNS doesn't set the clock, it only proxies the clock set request...

Henry
post #105 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 AM

I know Glenn said that he was going to post some detailed instructions & do an update to Wirns.

I was also going to post a video with how to install & configure Wirns (The Basic setup, at least to get the person going) a little later today or this evening.
post #106 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 AM

But will WiRNS even work?

If you unplug your Replay from the ethernet and clear out the provider/channel guide from replaytv (which means no identified inputs for this experiment). Remove any connection between WiRNS and ReplayTV on the software side if there is any. Does WiRNS still work? If there is no connection to DNNA anywhere, does WirNS enable the box to work?
post #107 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 AM

I just got off the phone with DNNA trying to do a first time activation. They are not billing and would not activate the replay. unless the community can figure some way to activate them, I have 4 replays that are definitely bricks / spare parts.
post #108 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 12:05 PM

What about Replay 2000 that does not have internet access ?
post #109 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 12:13 PM

Ok, this really ticks me off. I have 3 replays with lifetime subscriptions. I want a refund now that they have decided to not honor it. I have lifetime subscriptions, I shouldn't HAVE to pay for a Schedules Direct subscription!

With that said, is there any way IVS could continue to work with my friends?

I started with a 3060. Later sold it and replaced it with a 4k and later added 2 5k units. Still love 'em and am resisting HD.
post #110 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choliscott View Post
Do you think there will be any issues with having Wirns set the replay time using the clock on the computer that Wirns is installed?

With everything else Wirns can do, I would think this would be "easy" to implement, but I could be wrong
WiRNS doesn't have the time server code in it, but this really isn't the main issue, and I don't think that setting the clock is going to be an issue at all...

Henry
post #111 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But will WiRNS even work?

If you unplug your Replay from the ethernet and clear out the provider/channel guide from replaytv (which means no identified inputs for this experiment). Remove any connection between WiRNS and ReplayTV on the software side if there is any. Does WiRNS still work? If there is no connection to DNNA anywhere, does WirNS enable the box to work?
Lots of people use WiRNS without any internet connection at all, so this isn't going to be the problem...

Henry
post #112 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohan45 View Post
What about Replay 2000 that does not have internet access ?
The 2000 uses dial-up service to get it's internet access. So, if you want to be able to use it with your own networking access, you need to us a dial-up router to get the 2000 on the network. This is also what dial-up users do when they have no dial-up service...

Henry
post #113 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Another thought, what if my replaytv hard drive dies and I have to install a new one...will it know it is a fully activated box?

I started with a 3060. Later sold it and replaced it with a 4k and later added 2 5k units. Still love 'em and am resisting HD.
post #114 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignWalt View Post
With that said, is there any way IVS could continue to work with my friends?
There have been backup servers in place for that for many years. There's a thread on Poopli about how to configure your RTV to use the backup servers if you're not using WiRNS or IVSmagic...

Henry
post #115 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 12:59 PM

I have a HD Tivo. A program called KMTTG lets me transfer HD channels 703-717 plus LMN to the computer and convert to mpeg2. It will even encode to a number of formats. I prefer to use AutoGK with xvid.

One of my replays is used with a HD cable box for primetime overflow and to record programs or movies (not transferrable with tivo) I want to keep. One of my other replays is used to manual record DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. The other is used to manual record from the HD Tivo. All of these files can be transferred to the computer via DVArchive. When encoded, they are cropped and play at 16x9 resolution.

If the replay channel thing doesn't work out with WIRNS, I will pick up a second HD Tivo and do more manual recording for transfer to the computer. Either from the cable box or from one of the HDTivos

A bit more of a hassle, but not that big of a deal.
post #116 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 01:07 PM

Experimenting with my extra replay unit, I discovered that unless you have already downloaded the provider and channels once, you will not be able to do it without the DNNA server, and thus, cannot setup an input, so get no video signal at all.

Before 7/31, everyone should at least download all possible inputs as possible so that the channels get loaded. Once they are there, you can disconnect the ethernet and still manually program (or regularly program for now). I am not sure what happens after the TV guide runs out of days - if that will disable the channel's functionality to even manually record.

If you do not set up an input prior to 7/31, then you are guaranteed a brick unless WiRNS ends up being a solution (which I am not convinced of yet due to what has been said about its dependency on DNNA).

Does WiRNS also allow the replay to setup the provider from a list of area providers? This is different than the channel guide. If it cannot, then the unit cannot get any video at all (there is no pass-through).
post #117 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 PM

So now may be the time to pull out the spare 5504 I have and make sure it activates. I had it active for a month or so when I first got it (in order to get the rebate) but not used it in the many years since. And then make a backup of it (and my lifetime unit, once I replace its drive, which I better hurry up and do!) rather than relying on being able to load a new image to a drive in the future!

Giving up the ReplayTV altogether will be pretty sad for me. I've been using one model or another since the very beginning... not sure how good the integrated satellite receiver DVRs are but I have a feeling I may be finding out (paying monthly for the dvr privilege sucks though).
post #118 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 01:32 PM

I must admit that it'd been so long since I was on this forum that I had to go to my Rolodex to find my login info...
-----------------------------------------------

My wife has had a Replay TV almost forever. (5000 series I guess it is)

And it took at least a year for her to understand how to program it without daily assistance. I still have to get involved from time to time.

I was hoping that things wouldn't change as I hardly ever watch TV other than to surf once in a while on the handful of HD channels that are still available on the Comcast cable without a box when I connect the HDTV directly to the bare cable.

It's been annoying to hear my wife's complaints on incorrect programming because for whatever reason the IR blaster didn't work with the Motorola Box. An ongoing intermittent problem that I've spent more time than I wished on to still not get it 100% working.

2 days ago I spent 2 hours at a friend's trying to figure out why/how his Replay hadn't received for 2 weeks updates via Internet. A series of messages 3 days apart of failures. I had to puzzle things out since I've only used a phone connection since day 1 before we had reliable internet from Comcast. Now I'm wondering if my wasted time trying to get his fixed was a waste of time which I'm guessing is the case. I couldn't even get his to make contact via phone and I was suggesting that there was a hardware failure. Probably makes no difference now. And he'll have the same problem in their weekend place where I hooked up his Replay there to phone home since he has only a bootleg internet connection via the next door neighbor.

I hate the thought (and cost) of having to move my wife to another method of recording and she and she has problems with computers and even about e-mail on her computer and I get called at least twice a week to remind her how to do something and to get rid of the incorrectly addressed messages that she complains about.

I periodically cleaned up the screens full of old no longer valid programs to record that she'd refuse to delete.

I guess a recorder from the cable provider is going to be in our Future and involving $$$$ that I'd rather spend on something else and hours of trying to get it so she remembers how to do things with a new piece of hardware.

It's hard to teach a 77 year old (her birthday was 2 days ago) new tricks in her case anyway!!!

And I have too many other house/garden projects to even be able to devote as much time to computers and amateur radio hardware restoration projects that I'd rather be doing. Guess I'll be putting on Craigslist the original unused 40 GB HD that I replaced with a much larger one within a week of getting the Replay. Might be somebody in Silicon Valley who would want it in trade for something.

I DID appreciate the Replay tech who found 2 remotes in the back room when I walked into their Cupertino location the day after my wife gave her remote a dunking in a foot bath... I asked how much and he said just take them we have plenty.

He sort of qualified as Santa that year but in the long run....

There is no Santa Claus!!! BAH, HUMBUG!!!
post #119 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 01:35 PM

Boy this does suck! I have been a Replay fan for many years. Unfortunately I am Mac not PC so using Wirns is not an option. I also do not have broadband yet!:-(
My unit gets its input from a cable box so I can use its channel guide to search. But if everything is being shut down (and there is no way to manually set the time), I see a large metal brick heading to the local electronic waste disposal unit. My local cable company (San Bruno Cable) does offer a dvr for $7.30 a month (it replaces the cable box). Sadly I see that or a TIVO in my future.
post #120 of 687 Old 06-16-2011, 02:42 PM

When I called and brought up the problem with setting the clock, the guy asked 'why do you think that will be a problem?'
He said that the unit will still dial up to sync the clock, but the guide is just gone...

I have a Panasonic showstopper with the phone dialup.. Any ideas on how to get some guide information to my old reliable unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page