post #241 of 262 Old 11-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rempalski View Post

One month check-in, ShowAnalyzer has not messed up once, solid as a rock!

It's funny--ever since you posted that, *mine* has been solid as a rock.

Compare that to previously, when I had to nanny it every week or so and restart things because it hung up on a show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 262 Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hey Adam,

I've been thinking of getting a Ceton card for my Media Center.

I've been told it appears to the PC as a network card. Can you route the subnet to use it from other PCs in the house using a web browser? I've been told some cards have built in web servers.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #243 of 262 Old 11-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

In response to the competition over at Silicon Dust, where they make network-connected tuners, Ceton has added functionality to mimic that.

Another box on your network can access, over the network, the streams that the Ceton card makes available.

It's rather complex. Why you would want to do this and deal with the complexity, I don't know.

If what you want is to use those tuners through a web browser...no. They'd be available to another DVR, such as Media Center or Sage or whatever. When they're being used by a remote box, they're not available to the local box.

Extenders like the XBox are the way to go, IMNSHO.

If you want to view your recorded TV over a web browser, Media Center with Remote Potato added in is the way to go. Plus, the Remote Potato guy is currently working on a mechanism to view live TV as well.
post #244 of 262 Old 11-13-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The Ceton has 4 tuners and I really just need 2 for Media Center. I was thinking it would be nice to allow the other 2 to be used for LiveTV on various Android devices around the house.

The advantage of the Ceton was the 4 tuners, but if the remote devices will be pulling recorded TV, I may stick with just 2.

In your experience how hot does the Ceton get? I've read that it generates quite a bit of heat and you may want to stick a fan on it.

Prices for the tuner cards are pretty consistent right now: $50 + $50/tuner for the Hauppauage USB (2), HD HomeRun(2), and Ceton(4).

The Hauppage is basically a HD Homerun with USB rather than a network connect (even runs HDHR firmware and appears as a network device).

The Ceton is Windows only, while a HDHR can be used with other OSs on non-copy-protected content.

My production media center is still Vista, but my desktop is Win 7 Home Premium so I'll be testing things there.

Robert

---
post #245 of 262 Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

My Ceton doesn't get all that hot; apparently, the Antec NSK2480 enclosure of mine is extremely well built for airflow management and quiet cooling.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/ind...tv-temperature

I never see anything over 52 degrees C, and usually in the 48-50 range.

That's one tuner. I have a buddy who installed two Cetons in an off the shelf private label PC; I'll ask him what his readings look like.
post #246 of 262 Old 11-13-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernagel View Post

I have been trying to find a way to convert the downloaded shows but have not been successful so far.

kttmg

Remove DRM, convert, commercial skip.

Tony
post #247 of 262 Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
My Ceton runs around 45-50 degrees C as well. I had room in the tower and did add a fan directed onto the Ceton just to avoid any hot spots.

My ShowAnalyzer is still completely rock solid, never hangs anymore.

I thought that MediaCenter could only handle 4-Analog, 4-SD, and 4-HD tuners for some reason. Are you sure that it will support 8 HD tuners at once??

Regarding live TV and Tuner sharing. With X-Box Clients in other rooms it is possible to watch live TV (or recorded content) via the Ceton card in the Media Center. So you could watch LiveTV in two different rooms (any channel on each) and still be recording 2 additional channels. The Ceton does have a web interface but I used it only for trouble shooting. X-Box clients look and work EXACTLY like you were at the Media Center, they are fantastic! Media Center will support 4 X-Box Clients.

Speaking of trouble shooting;
Last week, all my HD channels (Ceton Card) were either heavily pixelated or completely dead (blue screen "can't tune to this station, no signal" errors). My analog channels (via Haupauge Cards) were just fine. I wasn't sure where to begin trouble shooting. I checked the Ceton knowledge base, used their web tool to check tuner status.

Ceton mentions that signal strength should be between -12 and +12 dbmV and SNR between 32-37. Ideal being 0db and 37 SNR. My channels were measuring between -5.1 and +11.9db and SNR of 32.6 to 34.5 but the channels were basically unwatchable.

My recordings for the previous day or two were trash so something in the system changed. I figured I'd order a new Ceton (New USB Quad tuner this time) and also call in the cable guy to validate signals. I needed to be back up quick before the family torched me...

The cable guy comes and I show him the install. Cable comes into house one split to Cable Modem, other to an Amp then to the Ceton. This guy tells me that they never use amps any more and wants it out. The previous guy installed it, about 6 years ago. We pull the amp and I check the Ceton diagnostics (not the TV, just signal levels). I'm now seeing -18db across the board. The cable guy doesn't know what to say, he never uses a meter but swears the signal to the houses is like +10db. He leaves and tells me to call in a level II supervisor.

I'm now thinking perhaps the card is bad and will wait to call service when the new Ceton arrives. Well guess what? I fire up Media Center and tune to a HD channel and it is PRISTINE, all HD channels are Perfect! I go back to the Ceton diagnostics in both Media Center and thru the Web Tool, all readings are in the -18db and 32 SNR range, go figure. Everything has been solid for a week now, all new recordings are good. I don't have anyone to compare notes with on the signal readings, but it's moot if the video is perfect.

Now the new Ceton is here and since it's USB I could hook it up but I'm back to the belief that 7MC won't support 8 HD tuners. I most likely will return it.

Regarding converting shows, I use "ImToo Video Converter Ultimate", works great for making iPhone/iPad content. I made up a few for a flight with my daughter, no issues at all converting them. I also used VideoRedo to quickly strip out commercials manually.

So far all the content on my system has been DRM free, so I haven't needed to cross that bridge.

"Beneath the surface of the mud...... there's more mud still.......Surprise" -- CSN
post #248 of 262 Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought that MediaCenter could only handle 4-Analog, 4-SD, and 4-HD tuners for some reason. Are you sure that it will support 8 HD tuners at once??

Tuner Salad is your friend.

Actually, it's not an issue of SD and HD. The tuner types are NTSC, ATSC, and QAM.

I have an amp in line; I've had it come unplugged and cause problems back in the analog days, and just a few weeks ago when I couldn't get a couple of channels at all it turned out that the previous tech 5 months prior had routed around it and it wasn't inline anymore. New tech put it back inline, and all problems are solved.

No idea why the no-amp situation worked for a few months and then stopped, but you know the cable company--they're always working on things and switching them around.

Hang onto that amp. If you needed it once, you'll likely need it again.

Does ImTOO integrate with 7MC?
post #249 of 262 Old 11-14-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Most cable installs are very "hot" to begin with, so amps are mostly useless. My line sends the tech's meter nearly to the top w/o an amp. Tivo's are sensitive to excess signal and reboot a lot on a hot cable line. Tivo recommends attenuators. The other thing is that most "amps" are absolute junk. The Radio shack specials cause more trouble than they solve. I have always only used amps that the cablecos use themselves (Econoline, etc).

I'm using HDHomeruns and Primes and they have no issues with signal or lack of it.

Tony
post #250 of 262 Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

No, ImToo doesn't integrate with 7MC, I just tag groups of files and batch convert them into the desired format. What I like about ImToo products is that they use multi-cores and also ATI and NVidia video card GPUs (e.g. "Cuda" in NVidia). It will transcode 4 two hour shows in about 15-20 minutes total.

I'll check out TunerSalad, thanks for the pearl.

"Beneath the surface of the mud...... there's more mud still.......Surprise" -- CSN
post #251 of 262 Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Do those tools work better than FFMPEG?

I wrote a perl script that takes a list of shows and coverts the oldest "x" episodes to a folder in mp4 format. If you delete it on the media center, it then deletes it in that folder so it always has the oldest "x" (unwatched) episodes.

I then use rsync (with delete) to sync that folder with android devices. You just sync it (over wifi) and your android device always has x episodes of a number of shows ready to go.

I do this for my phone, my wife's phone, and a kid's tablet. At the moment the only manual step is syncing the phone and deleting watched shows from Media Center.

I'm playing with "Tasker" and may have that kick the sync off automatically when it senses the home wifi Then the only thing to do is delete files.

Robert

---
post #252 of 262 Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd say they are very fast, which is good for manual users like me who makes an occasional batch of shows.

Your automated process sounds great for having a constant supply of portable shows on tap. In that scheme, speed doesn't matter much as it can just chunk away thru the nite.

post #253 of 262 Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In that scheme, speed doesn't matter much as it can just chunk away thru the nite.

I think I dated her in college...
post #254 of 262 Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

MC Channel lineup question! My cable company just did a major lineup change, all HD channels went from the 700's to now the 1000's to align with the analog channels, e.g. Analog Channel 2 = HD Channel 2 on 1002.

My problem is that the MC lineup hasn't changed. I checked and see that they use Zap2It, I browsed to their website and checked the lineup there and it was wrong as well. I emailed them last night and checked their site this morning and the data is now correct.

I went into MC and setup the tv tuners again, it claimed to be downloading the data but the data is still wrong. I know with Replays you can change zipcode and force it to reload the guide. I tried that with MC but it doesn't seem to matter, so for now I'm dead in the water until the guide gets sorted.

Any thoughts??

post #255 of 262 Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Something similar happened here, with a couple of new channels that came up on my system on 11/1. I went through all the same steps. Same thing--it's not updated.

I just waited a couple of days, and it all sorted itself out.

But that sounds painful in your situation...
post #256 of 262 Old 12-07-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure it will settle out in a day or so. For now I pulled up the recording schedule and just changed the shows to analog channels until this is fixed. Glad I didn't pull the Haupague tuners! At least the family won't kill me.

post #257 of 262 Old 12-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

If I pull the Hauppauge tuner card, for whatever reason, it's a permanent pull.

Then I go get another Ceton card...
post #258 of 262 Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the 2nd Ceton and Tuner Salad ready to go, but I will probably keep at least 1 analog backup for times when the digital worlds collide...

post #259 of 262 Old 12-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, analog. That's different.

I'm using my 2250 for clear QAM--and what a pain that is to set up. 7MC is not smart enough to see and use the virtual channel numbers that the cableco is sending down (my Samsung TV does, automatically)--so setting things up to match frequencies with the guide is a major pain.

Once it's out of the box, it's out permanently. I could keep it for the twelve or so analog channels still available, but it's not worth that to me. I'd sooner go cableCARD.

I used Tuner Salad six months ago when I first set things up--just in case. So I'm good up to 8 tuners. Beyond that, I'd have to go through setup again--and doesn't that wreak havoc with your recording schedule? Make you set everything up all over again?
post #260 of 262 Old 12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

So far no, it doesn't seem to mess up recording schedules. I went thru setup several times and re-assigned the tuners trying to fix the guide. When I went into the recording schedule, it was still set to record (all wrong channels now, but they were still there.) I just went to each pending show and changed to an analog as I still have about 90 left. The only hassle will be to go back and kill off all the channels I don't get/want as they are all back after the re-scan.

post #261 of 262 Old 12-09-2011, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rempalski View Post

MC Channel lineup question! My cable company just did a major lineup change, all HD channels went from the 700's to now the 1000's to align with the analog channels, e.g. Analog Channel 2 = HD Channel 2 on 1002.

My problem is that the MC lineup hasn't changed. I checked and see that they use Zap2It, I browsed to their website and checked the lineup there and it was wrong as well. I emailed them last night and checked their site this morning and the data is now correct.

I went into MC and setup the tv tuners again, it claimed to be downloading the data but the data is still wrong. I know with Replays you can change zipcode and force it to reload the guide. I tried that with MC but it doesn't seem to matter, so for now I'm dead in the water until the guide gets sorted.

Any thoughts??

In case anyone else is lurking, your problem is apparently specific to Orange County and Cox:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind...18.aspx#547918
post #262 of 262 Old 12-09-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, and here is the solution;

"I was having this same EXACT issue.

I ran into this thread http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... spx#547918 that i gave one final go before I was going to give up for the night but it solved it for me.

1. Go reconfigure the tuners again in side of WMC.
2. When choosing the zip I put 92602 and I choose Orange County Alisa Viejo Digital at the end of the configuration.
3. Then go to Settings -> TV -> Guide - Get latest guide.
4. Wait for the guide to update and a confirmation message to be displayed on the monitor. This took a while for me...
5 . After confirmation go to the guide listing and it should be updated. I resisted going to the guide while the update was happening, I didn't want there to be some sort of cache issue or something."

Now I'm back in buisness, this sequence seem to force a a more complete guide update as I used this other guys zipcode (nearby city with same lineup) and then tried it again with my zipcode and still got the same, correct, lineup. A bit strange but it's working so no complaints!

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page