post #91 of 220 Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

It depends how you have the RTV configured. If it's configured for a static IP address, then it may function differently. But, the RTV has always known whether it was able to get an IP address or not, and it certainly knows that there's no way it's going to be able to complete a net connect if it wasn't able to get network settings...

The RTV I was using hasn't been plugged in since 2003 or so, and this is the way it worked, that the connect buttons were non functioning. So, it's certainly not something new since my RTV is very, very old!

Henry

I was out of town so I couldn't respond. Anyway, I still say the non working menus were an anomaly. I don't know all the ways a replay can be configured, but mine is connected by an ethernet cable to a router that is connected to a comcast cable modem. I done nothing different than the last time. Last night my unit was unplugged as usual. A quick look at messages confirms it wasn't able to connect for awhile. Went to setup, hit the connect to replay, it attempted to connect as it should and then said it was not able to. I tried to attach a video to document this, but the upload fails. Any clue? It was an .avi video that I converted to .mov for this forum, but it won't upload.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 220 Old 07-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got one monthly 5040 and want to continue using it. The proposed new service sounds great to me. Just let me know when it's ready and how to sign up! My thanks to the folks trying to make this happen!
post #93 of 220 Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 PM

I'm sorry, but I can't help feeling that it looks like lemonade is being made out of lemons here. Does a replacement service really have to be $7/mo? C'mon guys, who is going to pay for something that with a little bit of work could be gotten for $20/yr (WiRNS). I think the pricing reflects a different motivation than the magnaminous act of a group of enthusiasts.
post #94 of 220 Old 07-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
You don't understand.

ReplayTV is the perfect appliance. And plenty of people want it to remain that way. WiRNS takes all the appliance out of it. Plenty of people will be happy to leave their systems in place and go ahead and pay the $7/month to keep their appliance going.

Your "little bit of work" may be little to you, but the convenience of not having to fiddle with things they don't understand is well worth the few bucks to many people.

And there's no reason for those who provide the service not to charge for the value they're providing.

The "group of enthusiasts" you refer to are NOT the market for the few bucks/month. They'll fiddle and twiddle and talk the ins and outs of WiRNS all day long for the rest of their lives, but in the meantime plenty of people are happy to sit down and continue to watch ReplayTV--and will happily pay for the privilege.

Nothing in life is free...either you gain the knowledge and fiddle and twiddle and be your own tech support (like I am with 7MC), or you pay someone to take care of it for you (like many do with Tivo, cableco boxes, etc).
post #95 of 220 Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Not only that. These are the same people who brought you WiRNS and Schedules Direct. And the cost isn't only $20/year if you have to acquire a PC or Windows software, like some of the Mac people, or a different router, like those without reservations would have to. It comes down to convenience and level of technical skill or effort. For some this is the cheaper, easier option.
post #96 of 220 Old 07-16-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 View Post

Not only that. These are the same people who brought you WiRNS and Schedules Direct. And the cost isn't only $20/year if you have to acquire a PC or Windows software, like some of the Mac people, or a different router, like those without reservations would have to. It comes down to convenience and level of technical skill or effort. For some this is the cheaper, easier option.

As a Mac user and a codger I fall into this category, I have priced out a windows laptop, cheapest around $350, a router around $60, so at that price I could have this service if it runs around $12 for two machines for at least three years, and if something happens that it is no longer available after a year or so I will be ahead of the game. I have no problem paying someone for their time and expertise if it makes my life easier.
post #97 of 220 Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

As a Mac user and a codger I fall into this category, I have priced out a windows laptop, cheapest around $350.

You can find loads of working refurbs and used laptops on Ebay for less than $150. A large number of them are dual-core. Most any of them will work as a WIRNS server and more.
post #98 of 220 Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Will it be a local number that we dial into or a toll free number? I don't have free long distance on my land line (and I have a pre-4000 unit with no network connection), so that would be a deal breaker for me.
post #99 of 220 Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicsnerd215 View Post

Will it be a local number that we dial into or a toll free number? I don't have free long distance on my land line (and I have a pre-4000 unit with no network connection), so that would be a deal breaker for me.

There has been talk of both, I am not sure if the people behind LaHo even know yet.

Just guessing on the possibilities:
  • There would be one number (perhaps a toll call) for the first net-connect (having to dial it on an extension and net-connecting after the far-end answered); This initial call would just be to set up your Replay with all the new phone number, password, etc., and then after that it would use a regular ISPs regional numbers, so the nightly call would be a local number.
  • There could also possibly just be a single toll free number for everyone to use.
  • Or there could be a single long distance number for everyone to use.
The choices depend on how expensive it is to have an ISP service the users, expense of a 800 number, number of users who use the service, ability to alter passwords/other info on the Replay, etc.

Again, I am just guessing (which I should probably stop doing, since I am probably just confusing people), so be sure to take all info given here, except info from "Reden", with a hefty load of salt.

Space - AB8NdtJzDULjgKvuDX3eJxHpXx88Xy9H
post #100 of 220 Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 AM

I just want to know... where do I sign up. Can I use wirns, yes. Do I want to deal with it, not particularly. Is $7 high? I hope they eventually come up with like an annual plan discount. I am leary of the people doing this. Heck no. Thank you!!
post #101 of 220 Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhirata View Post

I just want to know... where do I sign up. Can I use wirns, yes. Do I want to deal with it, not particularly. Is $7 high? I hope they eventually come up with like an annual plan discount. I am leary of the people doing this. Heck no. Thank you!!

Or maybe there will be another "Lifetime" subscription ....
Now THAT would be funny. And not HAHA funny.
post #102 of 220 Old 07-18-2011, 12:02 PM

Spoke with my father-in-law this weekend. He has one "lifetime" 5040. He'd be ok with paying $7/month to keep it working. He doesn't want to run a wirns box -- nor does he have the technical comfort lvl to do it.

I started with a 3060. Later sold it and replaced it with a 4k and later added 2 5k units. Still love 'em and am resisting HD.
post #103 of 220 Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
IRJ

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I always found that the video reproduction of ReplayTVs so spectacular even though it was "only" SD.

Ian
post #104 of 220 Old 07-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

Or maybe there will be another "Lifetime" subscription ....
Now THAT would be funny. And not HAHA funny.

"It looks like we're being boarded from the rear...and not the 'hey take a deep breath let's experiment' type of boarded from the rear..."
post #105 of 220 Old 07-18-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

//subscribed

Would like to see this service. Told a friend of mine about it as a possible option to keep his RTV-5ks running, he was ready to whip out the CC.

Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
post #106 of 220 Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by physicsnerd215 View Post

I am looking to provide limited dialup using a single phone line. If there is a large number of people interested, I'll add more lines. The first line went in today and I'm working on the router .

The calls will have to be LD to Dallas. I looked into a 800#, but what's the point? You'll pay LD costs one way or another.

I looked into ISPs, but the Earthlink refused to do a deal similar to Replay and Tivo and I haven't found an ISP that could do the required restriction (so someone doesn't use full dial-up internet on our dime) and DNS hack.

There's also the issue that we have not figured out how to update the dialup username/password stored in flash. If we could find an ISP to work with us, I doubt they would re-use the old Replay user/pass.

The best solution for 2k/3k units may be to upgrade to a 4k/5k. I suspect the boxes will be cheap. Hopefully that will reduce the folks who truly need dialup to a =manageable level.

That's the current status on dialup... nothing is cast in stone yet.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #107 of 220 Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Robert,

A few questions...

Are you predicting any mods/hacks will be necessary to the OS on a 50xx box connecting over ethernet-->broadband?

Is there a possibility that PC software, external to the RTV, be necessary? ie: WiRNS or some other server. If so, will it be platform independent?

Do you expect there to be any broadband router reprogramming necessary?

Asking because I have to be the one to make those changes for the aforementioned friend, need to determine if it's feasible or not for them.

Thx.

post #108 of 220 Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not Robert, but I am pretty sure that Ethernet connected units will just need to have their DNS server IP address changed to point to the LaHo DNS server.

post #109 of 220 Old 07-18-2011, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post

I'm not Robert, but I am pretty sure that Ethernet connected units will just need to have their DNS server IP address changed to point to the LaHo DNS server.

That's excellent/ideal news. THANKS!

(Friend is not computer savvy - so something that simple takes a great burden off of me)

post #110 of 220 Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 AM

Count me in! Between two homes I have a total of 13 units (all were 'lifetime') so that'd be $91/month. I probably wouldn't subscribe all of them unless there were a break on additional units but I'd happily subscribe at least 3 of them at each house. Since we stay about 3 months at a time at each place it would be nice if the account could be managed so that I'm only paying for the units when I'm at one or the other. I could run a WIRNS server here but I'd prefer and be willing to pay for the continued subscription service. I'm still very happy with my RTVs and plan to use them as long as I can keep them running. One of the reasons I have so many is that I've bought up a bunch on ebay to keep as spares - and they all still work with an occassional hard drive swap or power supply repair.
post #111 of 220 Old 07-19-2011, 04:16 AM

I'n definitely interested. I think the $7 is worth it to me not to manage WIRNS myself. One less thing on my to-do list.
post #112 of 220 Old 07-19-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobin View Post

Count me in! Between two homes I have a total of 13 units (all were 'lifetime') so that'd be $91/month.

from 7/14/11:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

I have a bit of good news to report.

We've gotten a break in data cost for additional units, so we can pass some savings on.

We're still computing costs to set pricing, but additional units will be cheaper. I"m leaning towards starting with 7/4, but nothing is final yet.

Robert

So, it would be much less than the $91/month.
Joel
"Staying out of the way and waiting for the sign up instructions...."
post #113 of 220 Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Looking ahead, it is possible or feasible to get the MyReplayTV programming service built into WiRNS or LaHo?

Arvy
post #114 of 220 Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post

Looking ahead, it is possible or feasible to get the MyReplayTV programming service built into WiRNS or LaHo?

It's already in WiRNS...

Henry
post #115 of 220 Old 07-19-2011, 11:52 AM

Hi Robert, The dial up guys will probably not like to hear this, but if I were a project mgr, I would figure to get the lan people up and going and then worry about the dial ups.... unless there are a lot more dial up users.
That way you don't have as much to worry about with your start up. Just a thought.
post #116 of 220 Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

"or a different router, like those without reservations would have to."

Just assign the ReplayTVs static addresses outside of the DHCP range in your router. Default route is your router, DNS is the wiRNS IP address.

Sahwn
post #117 of 220 Old 07-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfogg View Post

"or a different router, like those without reservations would have to."

Just assign the ReplayTVs static addresses outside of the DHCP range in your router. Default route is your router, DNS is the wiRNS IP address.

Sahwn

DHCP reservation is used to get around the DHCP bug in ReplayTV boxes.

I would think that this bug is one that may be able to be fixed though, since it happens in VXWorks when it boots up. Maybe there is some option somewhere to tell it to NOT get an IP address via DHCP upon booting.

Anyone know anything about VXWorks?

post #118 of 220 Old 07-19-2011, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You got it Space! Dial-up users will just need to put our number in the "prepend digits field". In both cases, we're considering changing the settings on the Replay so if DNS or dialup settings revert things will continue to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhirata View Post

The dial up guys will probably not like to hear this, but if I were a project mgr, I would figure to get the lan people up and going and then worry about the dial ups.... unless there are a lot more dial up users.

Yup, dialup is a big wildcard, but it's also a potentially large portion of our subscriber base, at least initially. Setting up FreeSCO is much more complicated than WiRNS.

On the other hand, dialup costs may be quite high for some people and it may be worth it for them to buy a (presumably now cheap) 4k/5k to move off dialup.

These two things may cause a large initial surge of dialup users that quickly tapers off. That may be fun to manage on the business side, especially with a 1YR commitment to get a good price on phone lines. Ah, the joys of running a business.

As previously mentioned I'm starting slow and conservative. I'll probably limit the number of dialup users until I can expand and also pay the higher price to avoid contracts on lots of lines (if needed... who knows how many people will sign up!)

Robert

---
post #119 of 220 Old 07-20-2011, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

You got it Space! Dial-up users will just need to put our number in the "prepend digits field". In both cases, we're considering changing the settings on the Replay so if DNS or dialup settings revert things will continue to work.

Ah, forgot about that prepend digits field, I didn't realize it was big enough to put a whole phone number in there.

Here I was telling people they might have to call the number on another extension and hit net-connect when they heard the other end answer...silly me...

I wonder if it is big enough to put a Google Voice number in there to avoid long distance charges (dial your own GV number and press 2 to make an outbound call), although I don't know if modems work over Google Voice.

Anyway, good luck with LaHo! Is that the official name yet? Or are you still looking at others?

post #120 of 220 Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyway, good luck with LaHo! Is that the official name yet? Or are you still looking at others?

I don't think this Google voice (or maybe *any* standard VoIP solution) will work with a modem signal. There is a chance for those systems that support a special code for a fax to work, but I don't remember how different the FAX modulation techniques are over modem.

As far as the name, LaHo is pretty much the official code name of our "project". We're running this under a company Chris Petersen and I created a few years ago to try a commercialize some of the work we did for SD (that so far hasn't gone anywhere). That was much quicker because most of the business and legal side was already set up.

---
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page