post #181 of 220 Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbolen70 View Post
There IS a patched 144 for the 55xx out there. It has the CC fix and keeps CA/IVS
LINK?

(I GOOGLED and looked on ReplayTVUpgrade.com and WiRNS.com)

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 220 Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
LINK?

I'll upload to MediaFire & post the link when done.

Ryan

*edit get it Here
post #183 of 220 Old 07-28-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ryan

*edit get it Here

Got it; Thanks!

Yesterday, I opened up 3 cases, have the HDDs down the basement hooked up to the old Pentium 233 (with WiRNS 1.3.x), ran Maxtor diagnostics and was preparing to load 140 via the Linux floppy.

Out of curiosity, did you bother to change the version displayed on 411-ZONES from 1440 to maybe 144A, just to differentiate them?

If someone with a Hex Editor did it, would it corrupt a checksum test?

post #184 of 220 Old 07-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Got it; Thanks!

Yesterday, I opened up 3 cases, have the HDDs down the basement hooked up to the old Pentium 233 (with WiRNS 1.3.x), ran Maxtor diagnostics and was preparing to load 140 via the Linux floppy.

Out of curiosity, did you bother to change the version displayed on 411-ZONES from 1440 to maybe 144A, just to differentiate them?

If someone with a Hex Editor did it, would it corrupt a checksum test?

File verification would fail.

Ryan
post #185 of 220 Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

LINK?

Quote:

Ryan

Just create a new .g2 file!

Space - AB8NdtJzDULjgKvuDX3eJxHpXx88Xy9H
post #186 of 220 Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Ryan

*edit get it Here

Hi! I may be missing something obvious, but how do we use this? Can I image my drive with this and then still connect to DNNA to go through setup and get the zones info before shutdown? I tend to miss a lot of obvious things...
post #187 of 220 Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoots2 View Post

Hi! I may be missing something obvious, but how do we use this? Can I image my drive with this and then still connect to DNNA to go through setup and get the zones info before shutdown? I tend to miss a lot of obvious things...

I'd hurry up and do it before the mothership is gone. You have 50 more hours. Hopefully CTL can also get it setup (with zones loaded) and make a new non-factory reset image for others to use. Perhaps Ryan has already solved the problem with WiRNS/Zones/Quicksetup but Henry was still warning against (future) factory reset images just the other day:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

...I said that it doesn't work. Zones are more than Replay Zones, as you can read here...

Henry

Seems to me like it might be netconnect #2 that would always fail with no "zone" downloads available from WiRNS. Should be solved eventually I'd think. But you never know.

(better safe than sorry)
post #188 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post

Quote:

...Out of curiosity, did you bother to change the version displayed on 411-ZONES from 1440 to maybe 144A, just to differentiate them?

Just create a new .g2 file!

I'm not set up for that right now - are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

I'd hurry up and do it before the mothership is gone. You have 50 more hours. Hopefully CTL can also get it setup (with zones loaded) and make a new non-factory reset image for others to use...

Household responsibilities got in the way - hopefully an image or two will get loaded and tested today, after grocery shopping.

Quote:

...Perhaps Ryan has already solved the problem with WiRNS/Zones/Quicksetup...

I sure wish Ryan would have added an indentifying letter at the end of the version for future recognition and troubleshooting purposes.

post #189 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Household responsibilities got in the way - hopefully an image or two will get loaded and tested today, after grocery shopping.

I sure wish Ryan would have added an indentifying letter at the end of the version for future recognition and troubleshooting purposes.

I suppose people using that hacked version will enable CA and/or IVS. These change the items available in the "setup" menu, so you can tell.
post #190 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I sure wish Ryan would have added an indentifying letter at the end of the version for future recognition and troubleshooting purposes.

Did you notice the date on the file inside? That may have been floating around for a long time. Anyone doing that today surely would resign the .g2?
Quote:

...Household responsibilities got in the way - hopefully an image or two will get loaded and tested today, after grocery shopping...(

If someone can get that done then at least we know we have a version that's easily usable. Make sure to do several net connects and see that zones is working as a double check.

Anyone with IVS and CA on a 55xx (running 144) should be able to tell what they have.
post #191 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have the perl scripts that supposedly do it, but I have never actually done it. I don't know which file needs to be patched to change the version number (it looks like it is stored as a long unsigned integer), although I do see the text "ReplayTV Software Version" and "Built on" (among others) in one of the binary files.

post #192 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 07:57 PM
jlv

Liked: 12
Quote:

Ryan

Then how did you create this image? Did you just pick and choose the files allowing the 55xx to enable IVS/CA from an older build? (I'm downloading now, so I'll check in a bit)
post #193 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlv View Post

Then how did you create this image? Did you just pick and choose the files allowing the 55xx to enable IVS/CA from an older build? (I'm downloading now, so I'll check in a bit)

If I recall, it's just an old image from before they disabled CA/IVS on these boxes.
post #194 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yup.. it's a mix of 143 with a few files from 144 (cc fix, ver info). 143 was the last ca/ivs image for 55xx. Since no files were modified. A simple copy of the files + their .g2 worked like a charm.

I have also been able to run this with out fear of upgrading as it reports 144.

Ryan
post #195 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you notice the date on the file inside? That may have been floating around for a long time. Anyone doing that today surely would resign the .g2?

All-TOO-Trusting, naive "Old Fart" / "Idiot" that I am, no I didn't notice (until *YOU* pointed it out!).

So..., a limited "ReplayTV Elite Clique" (possibly unrelated to the current Encryption and El Gamal Signature 'Team') has had access to this file since (at least) 2005-04-23 @ 14:28 EDT. [aka the Gurus *GENEROUSLY* revealed their hand and then DNNA *SUDDENLY* changed the rules! ]

I find it INTERESTING that LaHo goes LIVE / BETA and a "Hacked" 144 (CA/IVS for 55xx) *FINALLY* gets released and 'almost' IMMEDIATELY, the DNNA EPG resumes (pre 06/15/11).

KenL,

It's TOO late (today / tonight here in Central NJ), and I'm TOO tired to find and LINK to your earlier (today) post that I remember reading, but, *YES*, I too fear a 'possible' (aka Conspiracy Theory) *NEW* DNNA *LOCKDOWN* software. Thus, *ALL* of my ReplayTVs are now pointing to my 'flakey' Dell 400SC with WiRNS 2.x with "No Software Update"! When I got a "Round Tuit", I always planned to have WiRNS 'filter' the STUPID lineup that Comcast (and, AFAICT, *ALL* the others!) provided - i.e. *ALL* their available channels, whether *YOU* subscribe to / receive them or not - into just what you *ACTUALLY* receive. The 06/15/11 'EPG Announcement' was just the *PUSH* that I needed.

It will certainly be interesting to follow how today's "180" pans out.

Quote:

...Anyone with IVS and CA on a 55xx (running 144) should be able to tell what they have.

Yeah, BUT, it's *REALLY* more 'professional' to IDENTIFY different versions of a 'program / file' with a different version number / name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post

I have the perl scripts that supposedly do it, but I have never actually done it. I don't know which file needs to be patched to change the version number (it looks like it is stored as a long unsigned integer), although I do see the text "ReplayTV Software Version" and "Built on" (among others) in one of the binary files.

For the most part (as of ~6PM EDT today), this has all become MOOT!

Probably, 144 "Hacked" (from 2005) would *NEVER* have ever been released to the public without the "EPG Announcement".

*IF*, after today's *UNBELIEVABLE* event, this file still works, and can be "Activated", one of "us" (you, me, someone else reading this post), as a personal challenge, should look into how to update the version for the 411-ZONES screen.

Bottom Line: THANK YOU Ryan!
[Although I could have used 140 on my two 55xxs, I *DO* appreciate your releasing 144 "Hacked" (from 2005).]

[What a strange day this has turned into... FIVE hours and I'm still reading / thinking / posting / drinking my "Favorite Beverage" / not eating...
  • SO SAD for the ReplayTV Gurus that invested SO MUCH of their personal time to reach a solution only to have the problem eliminated.
  • SO SAD for the LaHo folks that invested COLD HARD CASH to provide a solution for the "Technically-Limited" ReplayTV owners only to have the problem eliminated.
  • SO HAPPY for the "Technically-Limited" ReplayTV owners that now have to do *NOTHING*.
  • SO CONFUSING for the "Technical" ReplayTV owners that see no "Rhyme-or-Reason" for DNNA's reversal.
]

post #196 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I see. Thanks Ryan.

So a very private version until yesterday.
post #197 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:

• SO SAD for the ReplayTV Gurus that invested SO MUCH of their personal time to reach a solution only to have the problem eliminated.
  • SO SAD for the LaHo folks that invested COLD HARD CASH to provide a solution for the "Technically-Limited" ReplayTV owners only to have the problem eliminated.
  • SO HAPPY for the "Technically-Limited" ReplayTV owners that now have to do *NOTHING*.
  • SO CONFUSING for the "Technical" ReplayTV owners that see no "Rhyme-or-Reason" for DNNA's reversal.
[/size]]

I don't think LaHo is over yet. There is too much discussion about this whole DNNA system going down soon again, but not until after they have loaded new code that changes the RTVs so that they no longer work as they do now. I am still leaning towards LaHo since I don't have confidence in DNNA from today's message.
post #198 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

• Quote:

Then how did you create this image? Did you just pick and choose the files allowing the 55xx to enable IVS/CA from an older build?

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by joesc1 View Post

If I recall, it's just an old image from before they disabled CA/IVS on these boxes.

• Quote:

Yup.. it's a mix of 143 with a few files from 144 (cc fix, ver info). 143 was the last ca/ivs image for 55xx. Since no files were modified. A simple copy of the files + their .g2 worked like a charm.

I have also been able to run this with out fear of upgrading as it reports 144.

Yeah, I'm TOO SLOW posting - I 'grab' SEVERAL new posts and then read / reply to them one-by-one.

So, Ryan, as KenL brought to my attention, why the SIX YEAR DELAY in releasing this file?

[And, YES, I said "*THANK YOU*" in my previous post on this topic! ]

post #199 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...*IF*, after today's *UNBELIEVABLE* event, this file still works, and can be "Activated", one of "us" (you, me, someone else reading this post), as a personal challenge, should look into how to update the version for the 411-ZONES screen.

Bottom Line: THANK YOU Ryan!
[Although I could have used 140 on my two 55xxs, I *DO* appreciate your releasing 144 "Hacked" (from 2005).]

[What a strange day this has turned into... FIVE hours and I'm still reading / thinking / posting / drinking my "Favorite Beverage" / not eating...

Looks like our posts were overlapping.

All it needs is quicksetup and zones and I'd say we have at least another week (before any hint of new lockdown) to do that, then it can run forever on WiRNS, no matter what happens back at the mothership. If Ryan is running now then we should be good in any case.

(530511430 is better than 530510190 in other ways as well but don't quote me I'll have look those up... been running actual 530511440 almost forever now)
post #200 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

(143 is better than 190 in other ways as well but don't quote me I'll have look those up... been running actual 144 almost forever now)

You mean version 19 not 190.

post #201 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep did it again. Do you remember the other differences/improvements?

530510190 is much better than some of the earlier ones.
post #202 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep did it again. Do you remember the other differences/improvements?

530510190 is much better than some of the earlier ones.

Nope!
I was the first person (recently) to ask this very question after t.d. indicated that he had a patch to make 144 work with CA and IVS on 55xx boxes (which I am guessing is different then the current patched version that is out there).

post #203 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

No I meant 19 was better than pre-alcatraz versions or even the first version of alcatraz... er what was the first version of alcatraz?
post #204 of 220 Old 07-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

[list][*]

So, Ryan, as KenL brought to my attention, why the SIX YEAR DELAY in releasing this file?

A few of us had it.. but would have been bad (pre key-releasing by ReplayTV). I remember that day too. I was on vacation in Yellowstone when ReplayTV called me and said "Who do you want me to send the keys to?" Guess it helped when there were more than a few of us asking for them.

So, after the keys were released, and then someone brought it up, I remembered! Hey! I've been running this on my 55xx's for quite some time now (works on 5000's too), why not share.

btw.. 29 downloads so far and no complaints. If it didn't work, I'd hear about it in a heartbeat from my wife.

Ryan
post #205 of 220 Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 AM
jlv

Quote:

A few of us had it.. but would have been bad ...
btw.. 29 downloads so far and no complaints. If it didn't work, I'd hear about it in a heartbeat from my wife.

I downloaded it... but have only unpacked it, not installed it. So, no complaints here. Actually, great thanks for sharing this!

I'm not sure why it would have been bad; making this didn't require the keys, just the determination to figure out what parts you need.

My 55xx runs build 19, but my 50xx runs build 140. I've never noticed anything that operationally different between them, so I've never seen the need to upgrade the 55xx to 140 (avoiding the IVS/CA disabling) or the 50xx to 144. As best I could tell, I've never needed any of the other fixes that went into 143 or 144 (such as the PPV fixes), so I've never felt the need to try and upgrade. It's quite likely I've missed something fundamental that I probably wanted.

OTOH, I might just give the MySoftwareUpdate plugin a try to install this. I've got drive image backups for both units (albeit about 3 years old).
post #206 of 220 Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 AM
jlv

Not that there weren't hints this was possible...
Quote:
If you played around enough, you might be able to build a hybrid image of 143 that looks like 144 so you won't get software updates. Just a thought tho.

LOL... Ryan posted this last September.
post #207 of 220 Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not that there weren't hints this was possible...LOL... Ryan posted this last September.

post #208 of 220 Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

"Just a thought tho" he say, smiling as he looks across the room at his ReplayTV with a twinkle in his eye...

I'm going to pay more attention to your "thoughts" in the future .

post #209 of 220 Old 07-30-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I downloaded it... but have only unpacked it, not installed it...
...OTOH, I might just give the MySoftwareUpdate plugin a try to install this. I've got drive image backups for both units (albeit about 3 years old).

When you get that loaded (however you do it) why don't you attempt setup entirely without the mothership? To answer that question that just keeps swirling. You are in a better position than most to block and monitor all traffic. We are interested in if a factory reset unit can fully function with no contact with the mothership, no zones updates, etc. So set it up from factory and connect several times, perhaps see if any super old zones are present at factory reset.

If you are already finished, it should not be too much hassle to do another factory reset just to test those conditions. We may have a reprieve for the moment, but we also may want to keep connections blocked, and at any rate the mothership will still be going away at some point. So we just want to know for sure how a factory reset behaves with only WiRNS, no mothership.
post #210 of 220 Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Any of you guys check your replay recently. Sometime since my last post here and yesterday, replay decided to continue the Guide. Unfortunately, my FiOS was installed on Friday, so I no longer have the straight analog signal the replay needs to operate. Timing is everything.

On a separate note, i have now spent several days with the GUI of the Verizon FiOS Motorola model QIP7232 2 HD DVR, and I can sum it up in four words; It's NOT a replayTV. Not to flame or bash or anything but geez, who designs this cumbersome, graphically offensive, busy, COMPLETELY non-intuitive user interfaces. Later upon layer of navigation just to reach commonly used features. I miss the simplicity and utter intuitiveness of the replayTV GUI. And CA.

Regards to all.

I Love DVR!
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page