Survey: Replacement ReplayTV Service! - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 220 Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As reported by several others, as well as myself, the DNS server within WiRNS 3 does not work at all - no response to any request. I tried this on two different machines here at home. What I did to solve this was to enable the Windows Server 2003 DNS server on my WiRNS machines. I gave it one host record: *.replaytv.net 192.168.0.200. So, by pointing a Replay at the Windows Server 2003 DNS, I get back the WiRNS Server IP address and it can do its business. This has proved to be very reliable. The WiRNS Server, other than providing DNS, has proved very reliable too. I have not as yet had the privilege of bringing up a new Replay image. With five ReplayTV boxes in my house having been in service for 8 years, or so, I expect I'll be getting the chance one day.

I do appreciate there are many, many people who have WiRNS 3 running just fine with the WiRNS DNS Server working.

Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover517 View Post

This made me curious.

I connected both my WiRNS pc and my Replay to a separate router that cannot see the internet. That is my way of making sure I blocked everything in relation to anything "replay". DHCP was also turned off for this test.

Loaded Rob's image onto a new harddrive and booted up the replay.

Was able to manually enter the network info, but the replay could never complete the network verification and onto the zip code page.

After it timed out, clicking on "details" said it could not reach DNS which was configured with the WiRNS IP.

Tried it twice, and it sent me back to the manual network information setup page.

At that point, I reconnected my pc and replay back to the normal gateway/router, reentered the manual network info, and was able to finish the setup via WiRNS as normal.

So there is still something that WiRNS is not providing in regards to DNS that this image setup requires.

I have attached wireshark traces in case anyone is interested.

J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 220 Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doodle View Post

As reported by several others, as well as myself, the DNS server within WiRNS 3 does not work at all - no response to any request. I tried this on two different machines here at home. What I did to solve this was to enable the Windows Server 2003 DNS server on my WiRNS machines. I gave it one host record: *.replaytv.net 192.168.0.200. So, by pointing a Replay at the Windows Server 2003 DNS, I get back the WiRNS Server IP address and it can do its business. This has proved to be very reliable. The WiRNS Server, other than providing DNS, has proved very reliable too. I have not as yet had the privilege of bringing up a new Replay image. With five ReplayTV boxes in my house having been in service for 8 years, or so, I expect I'll be getting the chance one day.

I do appreciate there are many, many people who have WiRNS 3 running just fine with the WiRNS DNS Server working.

Bye.

I use WiRNS 3.0. I don't have a broadband connection. I use dial-up to fetch guide data for WiRNS. I don't keep my PC's on all the time.

The problem is not WiRNS, but the fact that WiRNS needs to connect to a NTP server. If it cannot, the RTV will not be able to verify the network. This is why the redirect for *.replaytv.net works. The NTP requests get answered.

It took me a while to figure this one out. I had tried to set up my RTV's without the dialup connection active.

Unless you have your own NTP server, you WILL need to connect to the outside world.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #213 of 220 Old 08-06-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlv View Post

...OTOH, I might just give the MySoftwareUpdate plugin a try to install this. I've got drive image backups for both units (albeit about 3 years old).

How did that go? Were you able to install the image without pulling the drive?
post #214 of 220 Old 08-14-2011, 02:31 AM

Can anyone provide a link to a (reasonable) complete user manual for WiRNS?
(The .html links at wirns.com that lead nowhere are frustrating, but I have figured out much of the functionality on my own.) Case in point: WiRNS will download an MPG of the all current shows in your "Already Recoded" list (over and over -once per day) as long as you don't play and delete them on the ReplayTV. While these **DO** have commercials, playing them with VLC enables skipping "over" commercials (or watch the commercials - your choice).
Thanks!
post #215 of 220 Old 11-27-2011, 08:20 PM

does this patch require using wirns and the shell commands to keep the registry bits flipped properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbolen70 View Post

I'll upload to MediaFire & post the link when done.

Ryan

*edit get it Here

I started with a 3060. Later sold it and replaced it with a 4k and later added 2 5k units. Still love 'em and am resisting HD.
post #216 of 220 Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Yes it does. It just "allows" it to be done.

post #217 of 220 Old 12-27-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignWalt View Post

does this patch require using wirns and the shell commands to keep the registry bits flipped properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbolen70 View Post

Yes it does. It just "allows" it to be done.

Happy Holidays Ryan!

What would happen if a 55XX, re-imaged with your latest 'Patched' software, connected directly, without WiRNS in between? Would it
  1. Load the original 'Unpatched' software
    OR
  2. Would it just temporarily lose CA and IVS immediately
    OR
  3. On the next re-boot
    OR
  4. What?
Thanks!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #218 of 220 Old 01-05-2012, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i received a 55oo series from ebay that was apparantly unused and had the isn in it but upon the first net connect i did with it the isn diappeared. so did my smile.
post #219 of 220 Old 01-05-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrdan View Post

i received a 55oo series from ebay that was apparantly unused and had the isn in it but upon the first net connect i did with it the isn diappeared. so did my smile.

ISN = Internet Serial Number?

Anyway, a 5500 cannot make use of IVS unless an older image of the software is installed, and WiRNS proxies any connections to the Internet to prevent the software update that disables IVS.

It still has an ISN. The feature is just disabled. It didn't go away.

There are plenty of threads about it here to get it back. Search away.... I personally do not use / have IVS set up on any of my RTV's, so I can't really walk you through it.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #220 of 220 Old 01-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

Happy Holidays Ryan!

What would happen if a 55XX, re-imaged with your latest 'Patched' software, connected directly, without WiRNS in between? Would it
  1. Load the original 'Unpatched' software
    OR
  2. Would it just temporarily lose CA and IVS immediately
    OR
  3. On the next re-boot
    OR
  4. What?
Thanks!

It *might* just lose CA/IVS until a netconnect with the appropriate shellcmds.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page