Survey: Replacement ReplayTV Service! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You've asked, and the stars are aligning. Some WiRNS and SD folk are teaming up to offer a *PAID* replacement ReplayTV service!

This service will *not* replace WiRNS or Schedules Direct but provide an alternative for people who don't want the hassle of running a server.

Some service notes:
  • Our costs are by device, so the fees will be too.
  • We will *not* be offering (or honoring) any lifetime service.
  • Payments will be via Google Checkout and PayPal.
  • Initial rollout will be a 3-month period, and if this is financially viable will offer annual plans.
  • We are even considering an extra-cost dialup service!
We'd appreciate you responding to a survey HERE to help us gauge interest.

Feel free to ask questions below, we'll answer what we can, but things are pretty busy at the moment.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Liked: 10
This seemed to come out of the blue! Are we really this far along with a working solution?

I'm assuming it would still be possible to run one's own WiRNS server?
post #3 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't say out of the blue.. some of us have been working these angles since the announcement.

We didn't want to get folk's hopes up.. .but I did tell people not to worry

Robert

---
post #4 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 04:03 PM

I just took the survey and passed it on to some of my family with RTV too.

You may want to consider adding a comment field.

I have questions such as, would their be any support for issues such as unable to connect or any functionality issues (can't choose provider, time is wrong, no guide, etc)?
or How would be move the account to another machine if we had to replace an active one?

These are just a couple of thoughts, but definitely play into my final decision to pay (although I definitely say "sign me up" now because I would like this option).
post #5 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Can you clarify what you mean by "This service will *not* replace WiRNS or Schedules Direct but provide an alternative for people who don't want the hassle of running a server."

Will there will still be a "donation supported" version of WiRNS that will handle the authorization and time sync for those that want to run their own server?

If you subscribe to the new service, will it include program listing updates or will it require an additional SD subscription at an additional cost?

Space - AB8NdtJzDULjgKvuDX3eJxHpXx88Xy9H
post #6 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would be willing to pay for this service, but I think a discount for multiple units is probably in order. Something along the lines of $7 for the 1st unit in a household and $5 for each additional would be reasonable.
post #7 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 PM

I would not be interested in paying. I already have about 8 months left on my schedules direct account. I enjoy running WiRNS and have a dedicated box for WiRNS.
post #8 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 View Post

You may want to consider adding a comment field.

Can't really summarize it, plus that's what these forums are for. I thought about adding an email column to tell folks when we're ready, but I decided to link the the FAQ and have folks check there. It's not like the end of the month will be a surprise date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 View Post

I have questions such as, would their be any support for issues such as unable to connect or any functionality issues (can't choose provider, time is wrong, no guide, etc)?
or How would be move the account to another machine if we had to replace an active one?

Yes, there will be some support, mostly for the service itself though not the Replay unit. The support will probably be by email in the evenings.. we do have day-jobs.

It's not coded yet, but I envision your account will have a serial number field you'll type in. You'll be able to change it at will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post

Can you clarify what you mean by "This service will *not* replace WiRNS or Schedules Direct but provide an alternative for people who don't want the hassle of running a server."

It means we don't plan on making the WiRNS unavailable or no longer authorized for SD. We *could* be jerks and do that to force people to our new "profitable" (we hope) venture, but we're not. WiRNS will continue to be updated, however the devs have quite a bit on their plate right now..

We do realize that for folks with lots of units, the self-hosted WiRNS cost will be much less. Unfortunately, our costs are mostly by device and until we know how that load is going to be handled we're playing it conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post

If you subscribe to the new service, will it include program listing updates or will it require an additional SD subscription at an additional cost?

Yes, it includes program listings. SD is not licensed to provide data to a "service", only local apps. We initially looked into that, but was told a separate organization is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasen View Post

I would be willing to pay for this service, but I think a discount for multiple units is probably in order. Something along the lines of $7 for the 1st unit in a household and $5 for each additional would be reasonable.

Right now, we suspect our costs to be pretty linear per unit so that's how we're thinking about pricing. We're already cheaper than what Replay was, Tivo, etc. It's not set in stone yet, so comments are appreciated.

Robert

---
post #9 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Cool.

So other than you, who else is involved in this project, all the current WiRNS developers (Henry, Glenn, Ryan, ???)?

Space - AB8NdtJzDULjgKvuDX3eJxHpXx88Xy9H
post #10 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 07:26 PM

I'll not pay for monthly service to keep the replays going. Would rent or buy something from the cable co before that.

More likely I'd switch to an alternate (forward looking) HD solution.
post #11 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I will say this: had my cableco not gone digital by the end of May, I would to this day be happily using my three Replays--and panicking somewhat. Maybe their announcement would have driven me to my Plan B three weeks ago, and I would have been too far down that path to take advantage of your services.

But maybe not. So, if I still had analog cable, I'd happily be throwing three Replays into this ring. As it is, with an alternative like this they may be finding a new home or homes. Or I may keep one going for the major network programming, just because Replay is too good to give up.

I could even move my service to the other cable company in my area, which has not dumped analog, and go back to Replays....hmmmm....depends on the pricing and ease of use here.....

Keep us advised!
post #12 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM

I think this is a fabulous idea. While I have many Replaytv's and plan on running wirns myself, it's bothered me that most users would be left in the cold without such a thing.

I'm willing to invest/donate time and money into such an idea. Let me know what I can do.

BTW, HD programing via s video input and component output is very acceptable quality I think. You do need to have the proper IR code to control the set-top box, but hopefully the IR codes on the replays could be updated by the service. Also, it would be nice to have some sort of "replay zones" capability.

-Chris

2974247646523704746118934872007814844268287238137130823, don't tell anyone!

"Be happy while you're living,
for you're a long time dead."
-Scottish Proverb
post #13 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 PM

Not to sound like a jerk, but paying for a service I've already paid for really ticks me off. I bought the lifetime membership so I wouldn't have on-going fees. This is clearly a "win" for those who were paying monthly as they'll be paying less per month. I bought a lifetime sub'd box for my father-in-law...he's not going to run a wirns box, and it's unlikely he'll want to shell out $7/month for his replaytv to work.

This just pretty much clinches my decision to take directv to small claims court. (Yes, I know some are saying it's DNNA's/D&M responsibility and they would be the ones to sue -- but as I see it, 1) directv owns the ip addresses and the servers, and 2) Directv has a presence in Illinois for me to serve a summons, dnna doesn't.

I started with a 3060. Later sold it and replaced it with a 4k and later added 2 5k units. Still love 'em and am resisting HD.
post #14 of 220 Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignWalt View Post

Not to sound like a jerk, but paying for a service I've already paid for really ticks me off..

I agree with you and say "go for it" taking them to court.

I just hope folks don't try and take it out on us.... we're trying to help. (I realize you're not, but I can guarantee *SOME* will)

Robert

---
post #15 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I want to run WiRNS and SD for two networked 55xx boxes but am interested in a dialup service for a Panny SS. A 200' ethernet cable, FREESCO, etc etc. are far beyond the time and energy I have for an otherwise donated DVR. $5-7/mo is within my scope, $10/mo may be too much.

Arvy
post #16 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Reden -
If you're working with Henry to deploy a "replay TV" schedule service in the cloud, I have a quad core web server in a florida data center that's not doing much of anything....

I'm sure we could come to some agreeable terms!
post #17 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 AM

I like the idea on principle a LOT (have already thought that friends might pool together resources and share a wirns setup) but I personally would not buy it. Unless it's really cheap (like $1-2/mo/unit) it doesn't make sense financially when I already use wirns and can get SD for $20/year (I was only paying $6.95/mo to RTV since my other unit is lifetime).
post #18 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

You've asked, and the stars are aligning. Some WiRNS and SD folk are teaming up to offer a *PAID* replacement ReplayTV service!

This service will *not* replace WiRNS or Schedules Direct but provide an alternative for people who don't want the hassle of running a server.

Some service notes:
  • Our costs are by device, so the fees will be too.
  • We will *not* be offering (or honoring) any lifetime service.
  • Payments will be via Google Checkout and PayPal.
  • Initial rollout will be a 3-month period, and if this is financially viable will offer annual plans.
  • We are even considering an extra-cost dialup service!
We'd appreciate you responding to a survey HERE to help us gauge interest.

Feel free to ask questions below, we'll answer what we can, but things are pretty busy at the moment.

Robert

I appreciate the proposal but didn't take the survey (yet) because before checking Sign Me Up! I need to know several things. As always, the devil will be in the details:

1. How will ReplayTV recorders perform after Aug. 1 if left as they are?

2. Would you be able to offer a limited (30 day) money-back guarantee of functionality for units connecting by broadband? Would a ReplayTV using your service pretty much appear to work exactly as it does right now?

If answers to the above questions are all a Go!, I'd sign-up 3 units for 3 months ($63). After that, I'd play it situationally.

I never have paid for DVR service on a monthly basis; every DVR I ever got has had Lifetime or free service.

I do like the ReplayTV EPG better than any other and would spend $63 to continue it for a decent trial period to get you started. After that everything would depend on the annual cost. I have several S2 TiVos with Lifetime Service gathering dust.
post #19 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:

I agree with you and say "go for it" taking them to court.

I just hope folks don't try and take it out on us.... we're trying to help. (I realize you're not, but I can guarantee *SOME* will)

Robert

Robert, let me add a positive spin to what I've written. I think, if it works, you guys are providing a public service to those of us with elderly relatives who don't have the ability to run a wirns box locally, and still want to use their replaytv and who were already paying monthly. Also, for those of us who want to take directv to small claims court, this venture of yours is evidence that replaytv is not obsolete and has not run the full course of its useful life. I mean, how useless is this box if someone is willing to pay money to make it work?

My current plan is to see what I can get out of directv and use the proceeds to pay for SD and run a wirns box to serve my 3 repalytv's. Or if the small claims case fails and I get nothing because of some legal mumbo jumbo not related to fairness but to the vagueries of the law, I'll probably move to a win7 mc box and start using the homerun prime.

I started with a 3060. Later sold it and replaced it with a 4k and later added 2 5k units. Still love 'em and am resisting HD.
post #20 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Folks keep in mind the $5/mo dial-up cost was based on us handling the LD (or an ISP based solution). Based on survey results so far, most folks seem willing to make a LD call.

That will reduce the cost significantly, as will allowing calls at variable times so we can schedule time on the modem bank. I may come with another survey suggesting a lower possible price in a day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

2. Would you be able to offer a limited (30 day) money-back guarantee of functionality for units connecting by broadband? Would a ReplayTV using your service pretty much appear to work exactly as it does right now?

1. It's a moot point now... we can change the registry to undo any features DNNA disables. Without a guide, you'll be without show labels, which makes things very unfriendly.

2. I don't think we'll support a 30-day money back guarantee as processing refunds take a lot of time. Like SD, we'll probably offer a 7 day trial to make sure things work. The first poll will make the needed registry changes, so if you wanted to get a free registry update, we couldn't stop you. (well, I guess we could set dates based on service subscription, but doubt we'll do that)

Robert

---
post #21 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

1. It's a moot point now... we can change the registry to undo any features DNNA disables. Without a guide, you'll be without show labels, which makes things very unfriendly.

2. I don't think we'll support a 30-day money back guarantee as processing refunds take a lot of time. Like SD, we'll probably offer a 7 day trial to make sure things work. The first poll will make the needed registry changes, so if you wanted to get a free registry update, we couldn't stop you. (well, I guess we could set dates based on service subscription, but doubt we'll do that)
Robert

Thanks for your reply.

Please excuse me for being ignorant: Does your first answer assume that you'll have already done registry changes on a ReplayTV unit; IOW that someone had already signed up?

Can you go into more detail about the 7 day trial and registry changes? Please understand that basically I'm digitally illiterate.

Thanks for any info!
post #22 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignWalt View Post

This is clearly a "win" for those who were paying monthly as they'll be paying less per month.

By my calculation, paying monthly, I've invested over $1,000 to-date for my 2units.

What did I win?

Curt
post #23 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have 2 ReplayTV devices - one was lifetime, one was monthly for 6.95 $/month (reduced because was the second one).
Each is using 50W of electricity in stand-by (1.2kWh daily for each of them, 36kWh monthly x 2 to keep them running).

Would I pay some 14$ a month to keep both of them running attached to a third-party server? NO.
Would I pay some 20$ a year to use the SD programing in conjuction with a WiRNS server running on my PC? YES.
There are plenty alternatives that have one-time fee (99$) or even free programing (Windows MC).

PS: I just noticed that SageTV has been acquired by Google.
post #24 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtb3 View Post

By my calculation, paying monthly, I've invested over $1,000 to-date for my 2units.

What did I win?

Curt

The privilege to use the best DVR so far??? And now to continue using it???

3RTV over ethernet + DVA show server over buffalo wireless
post #25 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please excuse me for being ignorant: Does your first answer assume that you'll have already done registry changes on a ReplayTV unit; IOW that someone had already signed up?

Can you go into more detail about the 7 day trial and registry changes?

My first point is even if you do manual scheduled records (what Replay says will work), you won't want to as your ReplayGuide will be filled with tens (if not hundreds) of "Manual record of channel xx on mm/dd for 30 minutes"

I can't go into detail on the trial because we don't have firm agreements yet. But I do know we'll need to push registry changes on the first call, and I'd be very surprised if we replace Replay's "time bomb" with our own. We'll probably leave it wide open.

Robert

---
post #26 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtb3 View Post

What did I win?

Curt

Let's see for me, it's been about 9 years with 3 units that's $900 in 2002 dollars, given inflation (CPI) I've spent $1,130 in 2011 dollars. Or the opportunity costs, I could have placed that $900 in the s&p 500 in 2002 and it would now be worth over $1400. Or had I bought apple stock, that $900 would now be worth nearly $27,000 or netflix stock would now be worth nearly $38,000.

Paying monthly would not have prevented you from using that $900 ($600 in your case) in a more productive way, say like in some lucky stock pick...for that matter it means I'm a bit of a bonehead for not using that money for apple or netflix and paying monthly instead.

post #27 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Robert

I for one am very interested in this option, but I'll be honest and admit that it will probably be short term.

I am currently managing 4 project and putting in around 70 hours a week at work. I've been wondering when I'll find the time to procure 2 PCs and configure WiRNS this month. I was planning to free up the weekend of the 16th if I had to.

I have 5 units, and the cost will pinch a bit, but if it delays my having to be ready for the switchoff on 8/1, then it will be worth it.

I'd probably go for at most one quarter, until I have the in-home solution configured and tested. I feel I have to be honest with you that I won't be a permanent customer.
post #28 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

But I do know we'll need to push registry changes on the first call, and I'd be very surprised if we replace Replay's "time bomb" with our own. We'll probably leave it wide open.

Robert

So is it safe to assume that Replays will refuse to ask for guide data after 7/31, because they were told to, unless something is done? Is there actually a Replay "Time Bomb"?

Cheers!
-Doug
post #29 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...your ReplayGuide will be filled with tens (if not hundreds) of "Manual record of channel xx on mm/dd for 30 minutes"
Robert

Why? ReplayTV 4 and 5XXX's provide for renaming shows.
post #30 of 220 Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM

$7 is too expensive in my opinion, but I'm probably not the target audience anyway. I got so tired of that monthly charge on my credit card. I'll figure out how to setup wirns and then pay the $20 a month for schedules direct.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page