Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All
Here is one for all of the smart guys who can maybe figure this out

Is there a way to use DVARCHIVE to supply replay tv with the guide.....
What I'm thinking is at clearly it connects to replay and pulls the guide down so is there a way to supply DVARCHIVE with a guide and have it PUSH the guide to the replay tv?

Thoughts??????

Thanks

Perry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sorry, but DVArchive just doesn't have that capability. You can check out the DVArchive.org forum where Gerry posted that information. He said it would be possible to populate DVArchive with guide information, but it just doesn't have any guide push ability. And, for what it does, there's no reason for it to be able to do that. Pushing guide data is a somewhat complicated process, so that's why there are apps specifically for doing that, like WiRNS...

Henry
Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM

The issue is that DVA normally uses the same place to get its data from that the replays do, therefor once the replaytv guide data goes it looses its source.

The setup I have running at the house is DVA looking to Wirns for the guide data as well as the replays. The other issue is that DVA does not have the code to hijack the guide data requests internal. Wirns and DVA do coexist on the same computer and I have not had a problem in a long time except when the computer glitches.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

Sorry, but DVArchive just doesn't have that capability. You can check out the DVArchive.org forum where Gerry posted that information. He said it would be possible to populate DVArchive with guide information, but it just doesn't have any guide push ability. And, for what it does, there's no reason for it to be able to do that. Pushing guide data is a somewhat complicated process, so that's why there are apps specifically for doing that, like WiRNS...

Henry

Thanks for the response Henry . That was my comment about the "smart guys" dunno was thinking it could be a code change or something to give DVARCHIVE that ability to push ....would be very cool if it were possible.....

Thanks again

Perry
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM

If you are going to continue to use DVArchive and it's ability to show the Upcoming Shows and the Guide, you will need to use WiRNS to provide that guide info to DVArchive.

There are instructions on this forum and also on DVArchive.org to setup DVArchive for this.

Rob

Thanks: ijprest, waynethedvrguy, Remmer99, hdonzis, gduprey, LeeThompson, j.m., archdog99, FlipFlop, The Dreamer, chriv and all the other Replay Hackers out there.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Henry
I don't know the fine details of what goes on, but doesn't DVA do pretty much the opposite of this? It gets guide data from the Replay Server by piggybacking on the ID of an existing ReplayTV device? If it can't see a Replay, then it can't get guide data.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post
I don't know the fine details of what goes on, but doesn't DVA do pretty much the opposite of this? It gets guide data from the Replay Server by piggybacking on the ID of an existing ReplayTV device? If it can't see a Replay, then it can't get guide data.
Yes, DVArchive gets data from the DNNA servers which are going away, but it can also get data from other sources, such as WiRNS.

DVArchive never supported supplying guide data to a ReplayTV unit.

Space - AB8NdtJzDULjgKvuDX3eJxHpXx88Xy9H
Old 07-08-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryf View Post

Thanks for the response Henry . That was my comment about the "smart guys" dunno was thinking it could be a code change or something to give DVARCHIVE that ability to push ....would be very cool if it were possible.....

Well, there are already applications that do that, like WiRNS, so what would be the point?

DVArchive is a private software project owned by Gerry Duprey, and he has already posted that he isn't going to work on it any longer. So, he would be the only "smart guy" who could even work on it, and he posted that he's not going to. I'll refer you to his post in case you don't know where DVArchive is: http://www.dvarchive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3314...

Henry
Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, there are already applications that do that, like WiRNS, so what would be the point?

DVArchive is a private software project owned by Gerry Duprey, and he has already posted that he isn't going to work on it any longer. So, he would be the only "smart guy" who could even work on it, and he posted that he's not going to. I'll refer you to his post in case you don't know where DVArchive is:

Henry

The point was simplicity so i wouldn't have to keep a server running 24x7

I was hoping DVARCHIVE could grab a guide and format it to the XML required and push it to the replaytv
most folks seem to use DVARCHIVE so it would be very cool to have a module thatwouls do this.

THanks again

Perry
Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryf View Post

The point was simplicity so i wouldn't have to keep a server running 24x7

You don't have to have WiRNS running 24/7, it just has to be up when you want to update the guide on your ReplayTVs.

Although one other issue may occur if you use IVS and only do net connects infrequently (like once per week). If your Replays use WiRNS as their DNS server (which is how most people will be configured), then there may be issues with contacting the RDDNS server to update your Internet IP address.
This is because when the Replay wants to contact the RDDNS server, it has to do a DNS lookup to find it's IP address (although the Replay may do some caching of IP addresses, I don't think it is for any extended length of time). If the DNS server is down (meaning WiRNS isn't running) then it will be unable to send that update.

One issue that could alleviate this issue is if the RDDNS server caches the information for long periods of time (I don't know how long it retains the information before it clears the cache for a particular entry). If it keeps it for weeks/months, and your Internet IP address does not change frequently, then I don't see it being a real issue.

Space - AB8NdtJzDULjgKvuDX3eJxHpXx88Xy9H
Old 07-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post

You don't have to have WiRNS running 24/7, it just has to be up when you want to update the guide on your ReplayTVs.

But if you want to run the update daily since there are guide changes/fixes on a daily basis, you may as well run the computer 24/7 so you don't have to keep remembering to turn it on. There is a reason RTVs net-connect daily. And what do you do if you are out of town and something happens to the computer with WiRNS?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone else notice from Gerry's forum that BaysideBas is apparently still one of the 20 hardcore readers (lurking) here. Guess he/she is waiting on icecows return to jump in and stir up more trouble here in cows former blog and diner.