Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 173 Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55 View Post

I don't think so. Cable companies can do what they want. It's their wire.

I would expect a significant number of cable customers who don't have a digital box and for whatever reason will not get one. The cable company wouldn't want to lose those customers by cutting off analog.They could offer FREE boxes but a lot of those people wouldn't want the extra complexity.

Mark Lloyd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 173 Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

I would expect a significant number of cable customers who don't have a digital box and for whatever reason will not get one. The cable company wouldn't want to lose those customers by cutting off analog.They could offer FREE boxes but a lot of those people wouldn't want the extra complexity.

I'm one of those people with no cable box(s).
We don't use pay-per-view or get any premium channels so the cable box is not needed.

Didn't want to spend the extra money when they have 70+ analog channels that the TV & Replay can use directly. Beside, we would need several boxes to handle all the TV's and both Replays, and that would be expensive.
post #153 of 173 Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutzo View Post

I'm one of those people with no cable box(s).
We don't use pay-per-view or get any premium channels so the cable box is not needed.

Didn't want to spend the extra money when they have 70+ analog channels that the TV & Replay can use directly. Beside, we would need several boxes to handle all the TV's and both Replays, and that would be expensive.

And having a box complicates the remote control situation. With the Replay, there's that IR blaster which lowers the reliability.

Mark Lloyd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #154 of 173 Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

On the other hand, some cable operators have done just that. RCN is a case in point. A couple of years ago they went "all digital", and handed out up to 3 free converter boxes (Motorola DCT-700's) to customers who wanted them.

The cable operator's motivation to get rid of analog transmissions is that they can fit more digital channels into a slug of bandwidth previously devoted to a single analog channel.

With RCN's current operation, local broadcast channels + PEG (public access, education, government) channels are transmitted in "clear QAM" and so can be received by any set with a QAM digital tuner (essentially, all recent sets). Anything more requires their box (or CableCard) to do the decryption.

In fact, of the 3 cable operators in my town, only Comcast still transmits any analog (which they have committed to do through 2012), and that's only local broadcast + PEG.

Cable subscribers who are put off by the extra complexity of having a box might want to switch to over-the-air reception. But then, they'd need a converter box to receive today's digital broadcasts on their old analog TV's, wouldn't they?
post #155 of 173 Old 08-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa4hg View Post

Notice the URL that the "My Account" and the "Manuals and Downloads" points to. It has changed from what it used to be to another website completely. It is http://escient.codesigned.com. Looking at that website's information, it appears to have been around for a while.

An odd place to have this go to. Every link beside the home page is broken. And that "codesigned" is "Providing SharePoint -the premier document management and collaboration Microsoft business application" Maybe this guy knows whats going on:
Technical Contact:
codesigned jake.weaver@gmail.com
1614 Chatterton Ct NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
US

- Karl
" target="_blank">ReplayTV OS Images (Primary)

**This space for rent**
post #156 of 173 Old 08-02-2011, 04:14 PM

Escient is (or at least was) part of DNNA. From 2003:
Quote:
According to D&M, these assets will form the new Escient Division, joining ReplayTV and Rio in D&M's Digital Networks North America (DNNA) group.

http://www.stereophile.com/news/11629/index.html

-Susan
post #157 of 173 Old 08-02-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

codesigned is a sharepoint consultant and hosting firm, they must be hosting for replaytv. They just threw that message up and got sloppy in their haste.

No big deal.
post #158 of 173 Old 08-02-2011, 04:58 PM

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...other-day.html

ReplayTV lives to replay another day (again)

Reports of the demise of ReplayTV, once again, have been greatly exaggerated -- or are at least premature.

D&M Holdings, the Japanese consumer electronics company that owns ReplayTV, said it would keep the digital video recording service alive, reversing an earlier announcement to kill the product.

Readers may wonder whether they've seen this movie before. They have: ReplayTV has averted death multiple times, often at the 11th hour.

The first ReplayTV was unveiled in 1999 at the Consumer Electronics Show, where it vied for attention with another hot product, TiVo. The first digital video recorders to hit the U.S. market, both ReplayTV and TiVo changed the way viewers watched television by allowing people to easily record TV shows to watch another time.

Though commonplace today, the technology presented a major threat to major television and cable broadcasters, who tried in 2001 to sue ReplayTV out of existence. The lawsuits forced ReplayTV's owner at the time, SonicBlue, to file for bankruptcy protection in 2003, the same year it was sold to D&M.

In 2005, D&M said it would cease to manufacture recording devices with the ReplayTV feature. But the service managed to live on as a feature on personal computers. In addition, a number of consumers continued to hang on to their ReplayTV devices, paying the $12.95 monthly fee for the service.

What appeared to be the final death knell for ReplayTV came in June, when D&M's U.S. subsidiary, Digital Networks North America Inc., said it would discontinue the service entirely after July 31.

But last Friday, the company, in a stay of execution, put up a notice on ReplayTV's home page, saying it will continue to provide the service after all. Here's an excerpt:

After the announced shutdown of the ReplayTV programming guide service, we have had many positive, enthusiastic comments about the ReplayTV DVR products and services. In light of this response, ReplayTV and its parent company Digital Networks North America, Inc. have decided to continue the electronic programming guide service.

It's unclear how many subscribers ReplayTV still has or how long D&M plans to continue the service. Messages sent to the company did not get an immediate response.

-- Alex Pham

Twitter/ @AlexPham
post #159 of 173 Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RChobby View Post

I've been cleaning out my parent's house since they passed away. There are big differences in saying you don't want something, and then actually tossing it out. Sometimes there is value on closer inspection.

All this may boil down to someone getting ready to toss out the PCs which serve the data, and saying "why are we doing this, they don't require any maintenance". Someone else says "really"? "Well sure, plug them back in".

NO. According to them, they did it because the terms of service require them to.
post #160 of 173 Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommenter View Post

NO. According to them, they did it because the terms of service require them to.

I've not read that, from them. Where did they publish that remark?
post #161 of 173 Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenlex View Post

On the other hand, some cable operators have done just that. RCN is a case in point. A couple of years ago they went "all digital", and handed out up to 3 free converter boxes (Motorola DCT-700's) to customers who wanted them.

With RCN's current operation, local broadcast channels + PEG (public access, education, government) channels are transmitted in "clear QAM" and so can be received by any set with a QAM digital tuner (essentially, all recent sets). Anything more requires their box (or CableCard) to do the decryption.

That's why I've switch over to Windows Media Center (to replace my Replays). I know it's only a mater of time till my cable company switches to all digital. I had aready been looking into building a HTPC, so I just had to move my plans forward a few months when this all started. I can install a 4 tuner card in my HTPC, and rent a single cable card for a few bucks a month to receive all the scrambled digital channels..
post #162 of 173 Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
For starters you can carefully review this thread for the cliff notes since we know you're too busy to read everything.

And of course we really could've used your input in this situation but alas it may be too late now. To sum it up we never did resolve that situation with the dedicated PayPal button and hdonzis is now boycotting your blog and diner perhaps forever.

Others are stepping up to the plate to fill the void such as brobin, the ReMember and (especially) the 're-activated ' master of Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge among many others including the Advanced Member even the very Disciple of the Guru.

In summary... it's becoming (almost) the classic case of the inmates running the asylum. We could use greater leadership during these trying end times.
KenL,

I meant to ask you this yesterday - shortly after I first read it, but I was so pre-occupied with ReplayTV troubleshooting / re-imaging / setup (3 units - 2 recently-purchased, used, 'BROKEN' and 1 'several years old' Refurbed 5516 that had HDD corruption / failure ) that I never got back to it...

When you compose a post like this, do you:
  1. Have all of the LINKs already Bookmarked?
  2. Actually REMEMBER all of these LINKs (or at least can quickly find them again)??
  3. Have to painstakingly SEARCH for them???
You've repeatedly composed posts with LINKs from "All Over" - from the present way back into the 'ARCHIVES'.

Congrats on still having a *GREAT* memory!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

Remember, it's only TV...
post #163 of 173 Old 08-03-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey I was going to ask you the *similar* question!

Mostly it's 2.5 and 3. But you know how search is on these forums. Even if you *lived* through it and can vividly remember, still hard to refind using *conventional* search.
post #164 of 173 Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 AM

Its on their website
post #165 of 173 Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RChobby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommenter
I've not read that, from them. Where did they publish that remark?
They didn't exactly. It is how some are interpreting this:

"ReplayTV and its parent company Digital Networks North America, Inc. have decided to continue the electronic programming guide service pursuant to the terms of your service activation agreement."

Maybe that's what it means, maybe not. If they are worried about these silly lifetime service lawsuit threats, it would be a dumb thing to actually admit.
post #166 of 173 Old 08-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryduck View Post
. If they are worried about these silly lifetime service lawsuit threats, it would be a dumb thing to actually admit.
Silly, I think (or hope) not. I've bought two panny units. I never paid a dime to the defunct replaytv on them, yet I'm told that they are my supplier of EPG. Panisonic is my supplier. If they had a contract with replaytv, that is their business. However it came about, I'm glad to see that standard EPG is still an option for me.
post #167 of 173 Old 08-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

"ReplayTV and its parent company Digital Networks North America, Inc. have decided to continue the electronic programming guide service pursuant to the terms of your service activation agreement."

...which says that they can do whatever they want with it. Turn it on, turn it off--it's THEIR call, not yours.

By definition, anything they do with the service is "pursuant to the terms of your service activation agreement". But it sure does make for some PRETTY spin, doesn't it? And it shuts up people who either won't or can't read and/or understand their service activation agreement.
post #168 of 173 Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Adam, "anything they do with the service is pursuant to the therms of your servie activation agreement" unless of course they are in violation of it... which you seem to think can't happen.

Cool! Contracts where they can do what they want, and collect money with no obligations.

This reversal should tell you (finally) that you were wrong about this.

I started with a 3060. Later sold it and replaced it with a 4k and later added 2 5k units. Still love 'em and am resisting HD.
post #169 of 173 Old 08-04-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignWalt View Post

Cool! Contracts where they can do what they want, and collect money with no obligations.

Sounds to much like the government
post #170 of 173 Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Adam, "anything they do with the service is pursuant to the therms of your servie activation agreement" unless of course they are in violation of it... which you seem to think can't happen.

Have you read the terms to which you agreed?

They can do anything they want.

No, their "reversal" says nothing about my being wrong. That you think otherwise, is interesting.
post #171 of 173 Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

...They can do anything they want.

No, their "reversal" says nothing about my being wrong.

I think the only thing the reversal tells us is that legal wouldn't let them pull the plug for whatever reason. That might not change.

If you think about it what a blow for Laho.

I mean who is going to pay extra for that when they can just use the real mothership? Or monthlies who want to go free will still need WiRNS. So who's left to GO LaHo?
post #172 of 173 Old 08-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

For all we know, they turned it all back on just to bridge everyone over to LaHo, waiting for it to become steadier and more reliable.
post #173 of 173 Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

For all we know, they turned it all back on just to bridge everyone over to LaHo, waiting for it to become steadier and more reliable.

Nope.

That's Reden's spin (fantasy really) but from what I hear it's not true as far as DNNA is concerned. If they *officially* (and *authoritatively*) wanted to send everyone to LaHo they could put an *official* (*authoritative*) message on their own website. Or even an *official* (*authoritative*) nag screen on the units to reach a lot more people.

He doesn't speak for them officially or unofficially. Apparently he doesn't even speak to anyone there who has any pull (or perhaps a clue) (no offense to Cindy of course) I believe you got that part right.

But the fact that all *real* official "noise" seems to encourage people to leave voluntarily suggests they can't pull the plug for some reason.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page