Why are we still bothering with the Mothership? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
YES, I know the scores of you out there with lifetime units, who are fighting to greater maximize your investment(s); completely understandable.

BUT, you must see the handwriting on the wall. DNNA's FUTURE is surely OUR PRESENT. Why continue to grovel at the feet of those who truly don't give a damn, when we have all that we need here, thanks to the hard work of our resident saviours.

The hit ($$) IS coming, one way or another. I would much rather accept it on my terms, than theirs.

WiRNS 3.0 and SD at $20.00 per year, plus a reasonable contribution to the cause, is a pittance.

Then again, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtb3 View Post

YES, I know the scores of you out there with lifetime units, who are fighting to greater maximize your investment(s); completely understandable.

BUT, you must see the handwriting on the wall. DNNA's FUTURE is surely OUR PRESENT. Why continue to grovel at the feet of those who truly don't give a damn, when we have all that we need here, thanks to the hard work of our resident saviours.

The hit ($$) IS coming, one way or another. I would much rather accept it on my terms, than theirs.

WiRNS 3.0 and SD at $20.00 per year, plus a reasonable contribution to the cause, is a pittance.

Then I would want LaHo. WiRNS is my last resort because I would have to redo my home network which I would rather not do, but might have to.
post #3 of 46 Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 PM

For monthly customers, it's a no brainer to transition to a cheaper alternative once they stop providing their currently temporary free guide service.

For lifetime customers, there's little reason to go to SD as long as DNNA continues to provide free guide. We can always transition away when DNNA ultimately decides to close up shop.

I was only hoping for another two or three years more of use out of my DVR anyways. I expect they'll have lost a majority of their customers by then too and i'll have found some other inexpensive alternative to use.
post #4 of 46 Old 08-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by speck9 View Post

For lifetime customers, there's little reason to go to SD as long as DNNA continues to provide free guide. We can always transition away when DNNA ultimately decides to close up shop.

I have a lifetime unit and I am afraid that DNNA will "broke it" somehow and I will not be able to use SD anymore. Since I have also a "monthly" unit that I will use with SD, I don't see why I would go back to DNNA.

I appreciate the fact that they relase the keys and I am happy with this arrangement.

PS: My router can mix Automatic DHCP with static IP's, so I set the WiRNS server and the two ReplayTV as static and the rest of the network is like it was before...
post #5 of 46 Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 View Post

WiRNS is my last resort because I would have to redo my home network which I would rather not do, but might have to.

Understandable! But, if you feel that you might have to anyway, then why not tackle it now before the next deadline or interruption. From what we've read recently, anything could happen at any time. Why exist under an umbrella of such uncertainty?

We're supposed to be enjoying this medium; not being held hostage by it.

Curt
post #6 of 46 Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 PM

The only reason I see to stay with the mothership right now is to minimize the risk of missing shows if you're away for more than 12 days and your WiRNS pc needs a reboot. I split my time between two homes at three month intervals so the mothership has a benefit to me. If I stayed in one place though, as 99.9% do, I'd stick with WiRNS.
post #7 of 46 Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

"Why are we still bothering with the Mothership?"

Free bagels and donuts on fridays?

(just tossing it out there)

Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
post #8 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 01:08 AM

Because I have a Mac, that's why.
post #9 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritan1 View Post

So do I, but I also have a PC and if it required Linux I would have one of those too.
post #10 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Absolutely. I don't love my Snap-On vise grips so badly that I would ignore using a Craftsman pair that did something unique that I needed to do.
post #11 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 AM

I don't have any machines that run Windows on a regular basis, and would rather not start, and a Linux-based server is a lot of hassle to set up. Thus, just like the non-techies, the mothership is an easy convenient solution.
post #12 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtb3 View Post

We still use one lifetime 5040 to record from a satellite STB, I switched it to WiRNS and Schedules Direct last week before the guide reinstatement announcement.
I have no plans to go back to the mothership- mainly because I just don't trust DNNA at this point. I've always ran the Replay on a static IP address with DHCP disabled. It's DNS addresses now point to our WiRNS computer, my router also has DNSMasq which will intercept any rogue attempts by the Replay trying to contact any replay domain.

For $20/year if you have a network enabled ReplayTV and a Windows computer there's no reason not to wean away from the mothership before they poison the milk.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #13 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritan1 View Post

Macs can run Windows, and WiRNS can use a virtual machine.

Mark Lloyd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g501 View Post

I don't have any machines that run Windows on a regular basis, and would rather not start, and a Linux-based server is a lot of hassle to set up. Thus, just like the non-techies, the mothership is an easy convenient solution.

My server machine is running the latest version of Ubuntu (64-bit), with Vitrual Box and a VM (with its own IP) running Windows XP and WiRNS. Curently, that's the only thing XP is there for.

I control WiRNS trrough a laptop, running Ubuntu and Firefox.

The router is a Linksys WRT54GS running Tomato 1.28. It's set to provide dynamic DHCP to all devices. I added a configuration line for dnsmasq to redirect all subdomains of replaytv.net to WiRNS and a filter to block all internet access from the Replays themselves.

Mark Lloyd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

We still use one lifetime 5040 to record from a satellite STB, I switched it to WiRNS and Schedules Direct last week before the guide reinstatement announcement.
I have no plans to go back to the mothership- mainly because I just don't trust DNNA at this point. I've always ran the Replay on a static IP address with DHCP disabled. It's DNS addresses now point to our WiRNS computer, my router also has DNSMasq which will intercept any rogue attempts by the Replay trying to contact any replay domain.

For $20/year if you have a network enabled ReplayTV and a Windows computer there's no reason not to wean away from the mothership before they poison the milk.

I have dnsmasq and added the following line to the dnsmasq configuration:

address=/.replaytv.net/192.168.1.80

where the IP at the end is the IP of the system running WiRNS. This causes all attempts to access the mothership to be sent to WiRNS. It eliminates the need to use static addressing on the Replays, and makes reimaging much easier.

Mark Lloyd

post #16 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

where the IP at the end is the IP of the system running WiRNS. This causes all attempts to access the mothership to be sent to WiRNS. It eliminates the need to use static addressing on the Replays, and makes reimaging much easier.

Wait, really? You have the RTVs setup as dynamic? Can you message me and tell me more since I would love to NOT have to change routers to one with reservations if I do not have to (and RTVs as static would be the only reason to change due to the BUG).
post #17 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Wait, really? You have the RTVs setup as dynamic? Can you message me and tell me more since I would love to NOT have to change routers to one with reservations if I do not have to (and RTVs as static would be the only reason to change due to the BUG).

I use address reservation. That is a part of DHCP.
The Replays are set to 'automatic', which makes them use this address.
If you used 'automatic' with no address reservation, you can be bitten by the DHCP bug.

BTW, there seems to be no standard name for it. 'static DHCP' is what I first heard and what my router firmware calls it. Some people say 'address reservation'. I've even heard 'static lease'.

Note that setting the Replay to static DOES NOT prevent the DHCP bug. The Replay gets a dynamic IP anyway.

Mark Lloyd

post #18 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:

I use address reservation. That is a part of DHCP.
The Replays are set to 'automatic', which makes them use this address.
If you used 'automatic' with no address reservation, you can be bitten by the DHCP bug.

BTW, there seems to be no standard name for it. 'static DHCP' is what I first heard and what my router firmware calls it. Some people say 'address reservation'. I've even heard 'static lease'.

Note that setting the Replay to static DOES NOT prevent the DHCP bug. The Replay gets a dynamic IP anyway.

I am very familiar with the bug and that setting anything static on the RTV does not prevent it getting a second dynamic address.

So what you are saying is that you are pushing the static IPs to the RTVs instead of the RTVs pulling them (which is what has to be done when there is no reservation system). Address reservation and DHCP are different to me since DHCP usually has a set range. If you say you are using a DHCP router reservation system (IPs within the DHCP range) to make your solution work, then I would have to change routers.
post #19 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 AM

I use static ip settings on my 3 replays and have DHCP turned on in my router. What bug am I suppose to see? What does it do to the replays?

I started with a 3060. Later sold it and replaced it with a 4k and later added 2 5k units. Still love 'em and am resisting HD.
post #20 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:

I am very familiar with the bug and that setting anything static on the RTV does not prevent it getting a second dynamic address.

So what you are saying is that you are pushing the static IPs to the RTVs instead of the RTVs pulling them (which is what has to be done when there is no reservation system). Address reservation and DHCP are different to me since DHCP usually has a set range. If you say you are using a DHCP router reservation system (IPs within the DHCP range) to make your solution work, then I would have to change routers.

I didn't equate 'address reservation' with 'DHCP'. I equated 'address reservation' with 'static DHCP (words are important).

As to the pushing and pulling. What I'm doing is pulling (set 'automatic' on Replays) BUT with the source (router) providing SPECIFIED information.

Mark Lloyd

post #21 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignWalt View Post

I use static ip settings on my 3 replays and have DHCP turned on in my router. What bug am I suppose to see? What does it do to the replays?

The Replay will request an address from DHCP EVEN WHEN YOU USE STATIC. Check your router's DHCP table to verify this.

It's been 6-7 years since I found the DHCP bug and corrected it. It showed up in transfers (IVS and streaming) being aborted (supposedly when that dynamic address changes).

That bug also interferes with setup, although I hadn't noticed that until I tried to set up a new image with WiRNS.

The above seems to explain the need to DISABLE DHCP with setring up a new image (using only WiRNS).

Mark Lloyd

post #22 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:

I didn't equate 'address reservation' with 'DHCP'. I equated 'address reservation' with 'static DHCP (words are important).

As to the pushing and pulling. What I'm doing is pulling (set 'automatic' on Replays) BUT with the source (router) providing SPECIFIED information.

Sorry for the confusion. Address Reservation can either be with static DHCP or not within that pool- yes, I know that.

And I define pushing and pulling as to or from the assigning device. The router pushes if there is a reservation set there. The computer pulls if the static IP is set there. You can also push and pull at the same time.

Despite differences in verbiage, I believe I follow what you are explaining, so thanks.
post #23 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion. Address Reservation can either be with static DHCP or not within that pool- yes, I know that.

And I define pushing and pulling as to or from the assigning device. The router pushes if there is a reservation set there. The computer pulls if the static IP is set there. You can also push and pull at the same time.

Despite differences in verbiage, I believe I follow what you are explaining, so thanks.

Routers, with regards to DHCP, don't push. The DHCP server built into your device (router, WAP, whatever) responds to requests.. either dolling out dynamic IPs or specific IPs based upon the MAC address of the NIC card in the device requesting an IP. The latter is what is called "static dhcp", "persistent IP reservation", and a whole slew of other nonsense which means the same thing. Typically, one does not assign "static dhcp" IPs from the dynamic pool range. (That causes issues if it doesn't ping before assign.. but I digress.)

Some DHCP servers allow you to actually specify the DNS servers returned to that "static dhcp" device... thats how I got my boxes to point to WiRNS. There are other ways, like running your own DNS servers and using "views" to give out different records based upon who is asking.

- Karl
" target="_blank">ReplayTV OS Images (Primary)

**This space for rent**
post #24 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM

Four out of five of our machines are on wirns 3 now (5th one has a flakey tv that needs replaced and I can't see to change the settings and I've been too busy to deal with it). They are(were?) lifetime machines so I have never had to pay any fees. I'd be happy to keep using wirns 3 for the $20 a year for the guide through SD but I'm concerned that they could get shutdown now that DNNA is not ending the service. If DNNA is only keeping the service for legal/contractual reasons and not to make any money then I wouldn't think they would care about competition but since we don't know exactly why they do anything, it seems like wirns 3 could be up in the air. I'm swamped these days and don't get to read the forum too much so if this has been discussed and resolved somewhere please let me know.
post #25 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Could you talk more about this? I believe that I have this ability to do something like this on my router running DD-WRT, but I'm a little lost.
post #26 of 46 Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyoung View Post

Could you talk more about this? I believe that I have this ability to do something like this on my router running DD-WRT, but I'm a little lost.

I have Tomato firmware. DD-WRT should have a place where you can enter dnsmasq configuration.

Note that I also blocked internet access from the Replays.

Mark Lloyd

post #27 of 46 Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

Quote:

I have Tomato firmware. DD-WRT should have a place where you can enter dnsmasq configuration.

Note that I also blocked internet access from the Replays.

In DD-WRT the DNSMsaq entry box is found under the "Services" tab.
Be sure the "enable" rado button is on for the service then just enter the info mlloyd provided ( address=/.replaytv.net/192.168.1.80) and replace his 192.168.1.80 address with the address of your WiRNS server computer.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #28 of 46 Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

In DD-WRT the DNSMsaq entry box is found under the "Services" tab.
Be sure the "enable" rado button is on for the service then just enter the info mlloyd provided ( address=/.replaytv.net/192.168.1.80) and replace his 192.168.1.80 address with the address of your WiRNS server computer.

Thank you!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

Remember, it's only TV...
post #29 of 46 Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:

The Replay will request an address from DHCP It's been 6-7 years since I found the DHCP bug and corrected it. It showed up in transfers (IVS and streaming) being aborted (supposedly when that dynamic address changes).

Can you explain more about how you fixed this bug. Thank you.
post #30 of 46 Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri4jenn View Post

Can you explain more about how you fixed this bug...

There are LINKs to 2 *EXCELLENT* explanations by sfhub in the FAQ STICKY'd at the top of the Index Page.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

Remember, it's only TV...
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page