Replaced hard drive in 5040, works fine but get "Activation Required" screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The hard disk in my 5040 (lifetime) just died this week and I replaced it. The unit is working fine now, except that I've had an "Activation Required" screen pop up a couple of times asking to connect to the network. I allow it to, and it comes up with "Updating unit activation" and I can see it downloading stuff but eventually I get

The ReplayTV service was not able to verify your account at this time.
Your ReplayTV will automatically try again in 4 hours.

Any idea how to fix this? When I go to the setup screen it shows that it's activated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 09:27 PM

So you are allowing the machine to go out replaytv? I don't think those servers are very reliable. I've had that same activation problem a lot in the past. You could try just doing a netconnect, i.e downloading all the guide info etc.

I thought this problem was already solved in both LaHo and wirns 3. You could try using one of those.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

That's part of the "zones nag" which is normal for now for replays *unprotected* on the mothership.

Just click exit to dismiss.

No need to go through the "failed activation" routine.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyoung View Post

So you are allowing the machine to go out replaytv? I don't think those servers are very reliable. I've had that same activation problem a lot in the past. You could try just doing a netconnect, i.e downloading all the guide info etc.

I thought this problem was already solved in both LaHo and wirns 3. You could try using one of those.

The Replay servers have been reliable for me and since they have continued the guide service and I have lifetime service, I don't see any reason to start paying a provider.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

That's part of the "zones nag" which is normal for now for replays *unprotected* on the mothership.

I had not downloaded the zones when I got the message. I did and also did a Net Connect afterwards so I'll see if the message still pops up.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRubin View Post

The hard disk in my 5040 (lifetime) just died this week and I replaced it. The unit is working fine now, except that I've had an "Activation Required" screen pop up a couple of times asking to connect to the network. I allow it to, and it comes up with "Updating unit activation" and I can see it downloading stuff but eventually I get

The ReplayTV service was not able to verify your account at this time.
Your ReplayTV will automatically try again in 4 hours.

Any idea how to fix this? When I go to the setup screen it shows that it's activated.

You used a downloaded drive image and RTVPatch, right?

I suspect those images are all old and *require activation* whereas if you had a *new image*, from the last 30 days or so it would *not require activation*.

To the guys who are hosting those images, why not post an image from the last 30 days on those FTP sites and mark it as such? Has anyone made such an image? I suspect someone has. It's the image you use with RTVPatch to reimage a drive.

In any case, you should be able to make two net connects now and you should be activated. All mine that I have reimaged in the last 45 days or so are now activated, but it did take two net connects before the thing was all done.

If yours is not getting activated something is wrong with that process. Net connect not working.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had not downloaded the zones when I got the message. I did and also did a Net Connect afterwards so I'll see if the message still pops up.

It's just the regular zones nag. Until it expires (or you use WiRNS) you'll get it every time you exit zones. Just press exit to dismiss.

The fact that your status says "activated" means that you've *downloaded* that nag.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I thought the new nag is the one that says "because we love you, we've decided not to discontinue the service, after all".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55 View Post

You used a downloaded drive image and RTVPatch, right?

In any case, you should be able to make two net connects now and you should be activated. All mine that I have reimaged in the last 45 days or so are now activated, but it did take two net connects before the thing was all done.

If yours is not getting activated something is wrong with that process. Net connect not working.

Yes, I used the old disk image. I've done a couple of Net Connects so let's see if I keep getting the message. Hopefully I will not.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Hopefully I will not.

Until they expire or you use WiRNS to block them, you will get the "because we love you" nag on each guide button once per day, and the zones activation nag everytime you exit zones. Just exit when you see one.

Try ReplayZones, then exit and you will see the activation nag. And you always will until it expires or you do something about it. Has nothing to do with the new hard drive or image. It's just an artifact of the "because we love you" nag.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If the mothership goes down and I put in a new harddrive, and get the "activation required" message, can I get it 'activated' using wirns? or do you have to be hardcore and make backup image FOR EACH replaytv, and restore from the image(s)?
post #11 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Try ReplayZones, then exit and you will see the activation nag. And you always will until it expires or you do something about it. Has nothing to do with the new hard drive or image. It's just an artifact of the "because we love you" nag.

Yup, you're right. I hadn't put 2+2 together and realized that it was related to Zones (which I never use, anyway). I can live with the other daily nag screens, hopefully they will go away sooner rather than later. It was being asked to connect and then having it fail that was bugging me.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow View Post

If the mothership goes down and I put in a new harddrive, and get the "activation required" message, can I get it 'activated' using wirns? or do you have to be hardcore and make backup image FOR EACH replaytv, and restore from the image(s)?

You just need an image of the current software version. WiRNS will activate the replay, but it won't update the software from the old factory reset images. I have successfully used an image from one replay on 2 different replays and they activated without contacting the mothership using WiRNS 3.0
post #13 of 17 Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:

The Replay servers have been reliable for me and since they have continued the guide service and I have lifetime service, I don't see any reason to start paying a provider.

I have a monthly unit and I've been getting those messages all the time over the last year even though they charged my credit card. It will go away eventually.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...It was being asked to connect and then having it fail that was bugging me.

Yes it always fails, so you just want to click exit.

You especially don't want to respond to that nag when it can't reach the network because it will cause the Replay to hang. Then you are stuck with a reboot that still may take a while. So just exit. Or better yet use WiRNS.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-08-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie36 View Post
You just need an image of the current software version. WiRNS will activate the replay, but it won't update the software from the old factory reset images. I have successfully used an image from one replay on 2 different replays and they activated without contacting the mothership using WiRNS 3.0
Thanks. That was an important piece of the puzzle.

Know how the DST modification gets applied through WIRNs?
post #16 of 17 Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Doyle View Post
Thanks. That was an important piece of the puzzle.

Know how the DST modification gets applied through WIRNs?
You specify the time zone in WiRNS, selected from the "Time Zone" menu in 'Configuration/WiRNS'. Changes will not be sent to the Replay(s) until you change the ZIP code on them.

Mark Lloyd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-09-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

You specify the time zone in WiRNS, selected from the "Time Zone" menu in 'Configuration/WiRNS'. Changes will not be sent to the Replay(s) until you change the ZIP code on them.

Yes - there was not really a patch or anything to handle the timezone change. The ReplayTV already handled the POSIX timezone string, which can optionally encode the start and end of daylight savings time in it.

The mothership tells the ReplayTV its timezone based on its zipcode. What happened way-back-when was that they updated the timezone definitions at the mothership to encode the DST start/end. Since this information is only delivered when you change your zipcode, that's why at the time we were instructed to change our zipcode and change it back, so that it would pick up the new timezone string and thus know the proper dates.

The same thing happens in WiRNS. If you're using WiRNS 3, you pick your timezone from the little menu, it populates the timezone string appropriately to encode the start and end of DST, and that is what is delivered to the ReplayTV, but again only when the zipcode changes. If you're doing quick setup on a new image and you've already been using WiRNS with the right timezone set, it would get set up correctly during the initial setup process and you wouldn't have to mess around with it further (similarly, a new quick setup when connecting to DNNA would not need any extra messing around as it would get the right timezone string the first time).
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page