How to Remotely Tune DirecTV STB from RTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Major freak-out here. Today, they installed the new DirecTV system. With a two-year contract!

How do I remotely tune the DirecTV DVR? Used to be, I could do it with a serial cable. I believe it was an RS232. Worked flawlessly, unlike the IR blaster, which is a little picky.

According to the installer, the new boxes are controlled by RF remotes. So, my traditional method of IR Blaster won't work. What the heck do I do now? Recording on the DirecTV DVR and then re-recording on the RTV is just a little cumbersome!

Help!

Bill

Edit:

Hold the presses. I just tested the theory. Holding my hand over the IR emitter on the front of the remote disables it. Could it be possible that the installer gave me bad information? I can't believe it! Stay tuned for more news.

If it is IR, does anyone have the ReplayTV IR blaster codes for HR24-100 DirecTV Plus HD DVR?

Thanks.

Sorry if I sound confused. It's because I am! {oo}

Edit #2:

I see a reference to controlling the DirecTV receiver through its USB port. Great news, if true! All I would need is an RS232-USB converter. Here's a link:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=192218
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With most digital cameras or camcorders, you can see infrared flashes.

So, look at your remote on the camera screen while pressing buttons... you'll know for sure if it's IR.

(also, if it works from another room, it's RF)

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #3 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Reden:

Thanks for the info. It apparently is IR, because covering it with my hand disables it. However: You know what they say, when all else fails, RTFB. Unfortunately, in this case, the "Book" is 178 pages long! Buried in this tome is an option to select *either* RF or IR! Surprises never cease. I assume the remote simulcasts on both wavelengths.

Now, I just need to get one of them thar USB adapters.

The next question is, how do I have two ReplayTVs hooked up to a box with only one output?

I think I might have to move one of them to the other room with the remote HD Receiver.

It's so complicated.

Thanks again!

Bill
post #4 of 12 Old 08-26-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryskies@opto View Post

The next question is, how do I have two ReplayTVs hooked up to a box with only one output?

You don't. Each RTV needs it's own source / box.

Quote:

I think I might have to move one of them to the other room with the remote HD Receiver.

Yep.

Quote:

It's so complicated.

And it MAY get more interesting for you.

Your RTV can only record SD recordings. It needs an SD signal (composite, S-Video, or NTSC RF). I assume that you have HD receivers. Now, I many be wrong, but if you use HDMI to connect your HD receivers to an HD set, and also use secondary connectors from that box to connect to the Replay, your sat box MAY say to itself, "Hey! There's a non-HDMI compliant device attatched to me... I better shut down the output because someone is stealing content!" And then you will get black screens all around.... The only way to be sure is to try. You can thank big media for that problem, should it surface.

BTW,
the need to have RF remotes is for the situations where the TV is not in the same location as the receiver. Let us say you have a media closet, with all the DTV receivers in it. Cables run from the closet to each TV. Each remote will be tuned to a specific receiver. You can then tune each TV w/o having to point the remote at the receiver.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #5 of 12 Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM

Liked: 15
I have an H24-100 receiver (non-DVR) hooked up to my 45xx Replay and have never had this one, or any other HD receiver I have used, shut off the analog connections when HDMI is also connected. I actually have 2 different ones (a h21 and a H24) connected to Replay's using the composite connection to connect to the Replay, but also a HDMI cable which bypasses the Replay and allows me to watch HD directly on my plasma sets if I wish.

At one time, I also had my H21-200 DVR connected to the Replay and it worked fine. However, I thought it was a waste to use one of the HD tuners in the DTV DVR to control the replay, so just got another HD receiver (H24) for the Replay, and let the DTV DVR control the two it has.

Using the Paterson Tech USB cables to control channel changes on all of them without issues.

Can't imagine his HR24 would act any differently than mine do.

HTH,

J
post #6 of 12 Old 09-01-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Your RTV can only record SD recordings. It needs an SD signal (composite, S-Video, or NTSC RF). I assume that you have HD receivers. Now, I many be wrong, but if you use HDMI to connect your HD receivers to an HD set, and also use secondary connectors from that box to connect to the Replay, your sat box MAY say to itself, "Hey! There's a non-HDMI compliant device attatched to me... I better shut down the output because someone is stealing content!" And then you will get black screens all around.... The only way to be sure is to try. You can thank big media for that problem, should it surface.

Thanks a lot for the great info, Doug!

Bill
post #7 of 12 Old 09-01-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover517 View Post

I have an H24-100 receiver (non-DVR) hooked up to my 45xx Replay and have never had this one, or any other HD receiver I have used, shut off the analog connections when HDMI is also connected. I actually have 2 different ones (a h21 and a H24) connected to Replay's using the composite connection to connect to the Replay, but also a HDMI cable which bypasses the Replay and allows me to watch HD directly on my plasma sets if I wish.

At one time, I also had my H21-200 DVR connected to the Replay and it worked fine. However, I thought it was a waste to use one of the HD tuners in the DTV DVR to control the replay, so just got another HD receiver (H24) for the Replay, and let the DTV DVR control the two it has.

Using the Paterson Tech USB cables to control channel changes on all of them without issues.

Can't imagine his HR24 would act any differently than mine do.

HTH,

J

Thanks a lot, J! Guess I'll order some of those cables.

Bill
post #8 of 12 Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And it MAY get more interesting for you.

Yes, Doug, you are correct. I did receive such a message from my DirecTV H24. However, it did not black out any content. The message eventually went away after fifteen seconds or so.

I did run into a problem recording HD content, however. My Sharp TV has a power saving mode wherein it actually turns itself off after a period of "no user input". Which is to say, you are sitting there watching a show, and the TV gives you an inconspicuous warning on the lower left corner of the screen, saying it's going to shut down in a few minutes, then 2 minutes, etc. Then, sure enough, it shuts down. Then, the DTV receiver realizes the signal is going nowhere and goes into the screen saver mode. Voila! Two hours of screen saver. Bummer.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 PM

I just purchased a LocationFree device and it didn't come with an IR blaster, so I bought one. The one I bought doesn't seemt to want to work with the directv H24-100 box at all. I've scoured the internet looking for the Sony VM50 IR Blaster, but it is not longer available anywhere. Can someone help? I also have a H25-500 that I've thought about trying, but not sure I'll have any better luck.

Any help is appreciated.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-13-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.patersontech.com/
USB Translator Works great. Hard-wired, of course.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryskies@opto View Post

Yes, Doug, you are correct. I did receive such a message from my DirecTV H24. However, it did not black out any content. The message eventually went away after fifteen seconds or so.

I did run into a problem recording HD content, however. My Sharp TV has a power saving mode wherein it actually turns itself off after a period of "no user input". Which is to say, you are sitting there watching a show, and the TV gives you an inconspicuous warning on the lower left corner of the screen, saying it's going to shut down in a few minutes, then 2 minutes, etc. Then, sure enough, it shuts down. Then, the DTV receiver realizes the signal is going nowhere and goes into the screen saver mode. Voila! Two hours of screen saver. Bummer.

I would like to think that Sharp would allow an override setting for that feature. If not, yuck!
post #12 of 12 Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, there is a setting under Power Control to turn this and a few other power saving features on or off.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page