Is DNNA Slimming Down Access Lines for Dial-up? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed something interesting of late. The local access number (an alternate number I use since it incurs no charge) I was using is not working. When you dial in, it appears to connect and then after a bit says there was a problem and disconnects. I tried the local primary number (I live on the San Francisco peninsula) for Redwood City and it connected fine. On a hunch I tried all the alternate numbers and not one of them worked (same as described above).

But the primary one for Redwood City works just fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtaylor View Post
I noticed something interesting of late. The local access number (an alternate number I use since it incurs no charge) I was using is not working. When you dial in, it appears to connect and then after a bit says there was a problem and disconnects. I tried the local primary number (I live on the San Francisco peninsula) for Redwood City and it connected fine. On a hunch I tried all the alternate numbers and not one of them worked (same as described above).

But the primary one for Redwood City works just fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing.
Not working in San Diego Area! will try another number. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajon View Post
Not working in San Diego Area! will try another number. Thanks for the heads up!
main number for Pine Valley works but all other alternate numbers for East San Diego county do not work. Now it is a toll call every night 18 cents a minute for Four showstoppers every night.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
main number for Pine Valley works but all other alternate numbers for East San Diego county do not work. Now it is a toll call every night 18 cents a minute for Four showstoppers every night.
Two solutions:
1. Specify a different phone number and get an out-of-state number. Should be cheaper than in-state LD.

2. Look into using Google Talk like some people tested with Perc/Laho.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
Old 09-04-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK, DNNA doesn't have their own dialup lines, they're just using third-party dialup ISP services.

I wouldn't be surprised if DNNA is reducing the number of ISPs they've contracted with, to save money. After all, they wanted to shut down this service entirely, and only kept it going reluctantly.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I have been trying to connect for several days without luck. I tried multiple phone numbers in my area without success. However, based on your astute deduction, I tried one of the "primary" numbers in Baltimore - and YES - SUCCESS. Apparently the Alternate numbers are not working - only the Primary numbers. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Same thing worked for me in the Chicago area. But why list the alternates if they aren't working?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 PM

Yes, changing the number dialed to Primary rather than Alternate did the trick.

Thank you everyone.

But I agree - if the Alternate numbers are no longer working, why can't they post a message and tell us this?

By the way, I tried a few different numbers in Alternate (local calls) before finding the hint to go to Primary number (toll call). So - its definitely the alternate numbers that aren't working.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 PM
rjb

Yes, it's true here in the East Bay too. My replay wasn't connecting through the local, Richmond number, so I had to switch to a primary, Oakland number. I'm not sure if that's a toll call or not; I'll wait and see my next phone bill, and if it is a toll call, decide if it's worth it--I hardly use my replay anymore since analog OTA is gone, and I only have limited basic on Comcast.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 AM

Thanks DNNA, I called ATT today and ended up with unlimited nationwide calling and saved $20.00 a month! I had a really old plan! If you had not cut off my local acess number I would have left things as they were! Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
DNNA has nothing to do with access numbers. They contract out and have no control over the extinction of dial up internet access.

Tony
Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post
DNNA has nothing to do with access numbers. They contract out and have no control over the extinction of dial up internet access.
Of course they do. Your RTV should keep its list of dial-up access numbers current. While they don't have control over the extinction of dial-up access, they DO have control over the list of numbers displayed on your RTV whilst setting up modem access...

Cheers!
-Doug
Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa

Of course they do. Your RTV should keep its list of dial-up access numbers current. While they don't have control over the extinction of dial-up access, they DO have control over the list of numbers displayed on your RTV whilst setting up modem access...

Cheers!
-Doug
But having control and actually doing the work may not be the same thing, if nobody is minding the store.

BTW, while searching for an access number that worked, I noticed that I got my clock set and my channel lineup refreshed each time, even though my local access number was not working.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by catswine View Post

Yes, changing the number dialed to Primary rather than Alternate did the trick.

Thank you everyone.

But I agree - if the Alternate numbers are no longer working, why can't they post a message and tell us this?

By the way, I tried a few different numbers in Alternate (local calls) before finding the hint to go to Primary number (toll call). So - its definitely the alternate numbers that aren't working.

That isn't true here (east Texas). I tried several alternate numbers (from my 2020) and all connected.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

Two solutions:
1. Specify a different phone number and get an out-of-state number. Should be cheaper than in-state LD.

2. Look into using Google Talk like some people tested with Perc/Laho.

Robert

Third solution. Write to the attorney general again and complain they are not providing the lifetime service they were providing all these years as part of your service activation agreement.

I wrote to the California attorney general and I got back letters saying they were contacting Panasonic and Replaytv. Then magically they decided not to discontinue the service. Imagine that.

I have errors now and cannot find a local number for my showstoppers. I just don't think having to make a toll call is reasonable.

That said, the problem may very well be that they didn't pay their bill.

I have blank guide and error failing to connect. Sometimes "Unable to authorize connection".
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 AM

I have been unable to find a working dialup number for my showstoppers. Wonder what's up?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 AM

To clarify a bit, when I said the Alternate numbers didn't work for me, I meant that the update didn't complete. Listening in on an extension showed the dialing process and modem chatter went as expected, but the communication was then terminated for some reason.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

To clarify a bit, when I said the Alternate numbers didn't work for me, I meant that the update didn't complete. Listening in on an extension showed the dialing process and modem chatter went as expected, but the communication was then terminated for some reason.

That's what happens for me. An error and it never is successful.

I just tried again, it says "network link down" There are primary numbers but that are all long distance for me. The alternates that are local are not working.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks DNNA, I called ATT today and ended up with unlimited nationwide calling and saved $20.00 a month! I had a really old plan! If you had not cut off my local acess number I would have left things as they were! Thanks again!

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I had a similar experience a few months ago. I called my phone company about the high cost and low features of my phone service (in NY they charged a dime for each outgoing call once upon a time and I still had that plan). They put me on a cheaper plan, with free national LD and caller ID. I went with it instead of a VoIP option because I like having a landline that doesn't (necessarily) stop working during a power outage, works with FAX and other modem based hardware, etc.

If anyone has landline service and haven't made recent inquiries about plan options, it's probably a good time to do that.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:02 PM

It seems likely they are dumping the dialup users by providing no dialups that are usable.

I am sitting here with blank guides. Just like the announcement said. EPG discontinued, but not the way they tried to.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

And again "they" do not provide the dialup network, which really puts a kink in the stupid conspiracy theories.

Tony
Old 09-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Can anyone explain what is supposed to be the difference between the Primary and Alternate phone numbers?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 AM

Our numbers in the Los Angeles area went 'bad' also. It took a few tries to find a number that worked off of the list, but we found one eventually. (we have unlimited local/long distance, so I'm not worried about the toll costs).
Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

And again "they" do not provide the dialup network, which really puts a kink in the stupid conspiracy theories.

Your statement is ridiculous. They are paying or have somehow arranged those dialup numbers, they don't come out of the air. Either they are paying less and getting less or they didn't pay their bill so some have been shut off by their provider.

In any case there are now many less dialups that work than there were a week ago. This may be intentional in accordance with their plan of getting out of the Replaytv EPG service business or they may have financial problems and have not paid their dialup provider.

The effect is the same and the Replaytv is the responsible party. I am here with no recording ability on lifetime service showstoppers. Don't minimize the problem.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

They use Earthlink I believe. Earthlink is just going crazy about new POTS lines, LOL.

Tony
Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 AM

I am on the phone with the outsourced customer service for replaytv. They say they have not been informed of any service or activation issues. She said I should call Panasonic for technical support. Haha.

Interestingly, it seems someone came in the office, found a server problem and maybe they fixed it, my unit is now connected and says getting channel guide information. Very slowly, though on the dialup. 2% done.

15 minutes later, 13% done.

Slow. Sounds like server troubles, I guess.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55 View Post

I am on the phone with the outsourced customer service for replaytv. They say they have not been informed of any service or activation issues. She said I should call Panasonic for technical support. Haha.

Interestingly, it seems someone came in the office, found a server problem and maybe they fixed it, my unit is now connected and says getting channel guide information. Very slowly, though on the dialup. 2% done.

15 minutes later, 13% done.

Slow. Sounds like server troubles, I guess.

Actually, if you are using dial-up to download, say, 11 days of digital cable guide data or satellite data, the process is very slow. Remember, your RTV will be downloading guide data for all the channels available, even the ones you de-select.

Seems normally slow to me... It used to take almost an hour for my RTV to download it's digital lineup when first set up.

Cheers!
-Doug
Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your statement is ridiculous. They are paying or have somehow arranged those dialup numbers, they don't come out of the air. Either they are paying less and getting less or they didn't pay their bill so some have been shut off by their provider.

Or the companies they're outsourcing to are reducing their dialup capacity without changing their price, because the demand for dialup has been going down as broadband expands.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Third solution. Write to the attorney general again and complain they are not providing the lifetime service they were providing all these years as part of your service activation agreement.

I wrote to the California attorney general and I got back letters saying they were contacting Panasonic and Replaytv. Then magically they decided not to discontinue the service. Imagine that.

I have errors now and cannot find a local number for my showstoppers. I just don't think having to make a toll call is reasonable.

That said, the problem may very well be that they didn't pay their bill.

I have blank guide and error failing to connect. Sometimes "Unable to authorize connection".

Hum interesting. I'd love to see a copy of the letter you wrote to the California attorney general.

I'm in Berkeley CA. After reading this forum I have been trying all the numbers and so far no luck.
Earlier today I spoke with Replay customer service.

Here is what happened.

After trying everything I could to get my channel guide information I finally called Replay customer service.

The customer service rep was very nice, and we tried several things to get my guide information. But my system was not making a connection with the Replay server.

Not having any luck, the Rep thought it might be my systems modem, so we tried using the Replay customer service area code and prefix in Texas to get the guide. Well guess what that worked or at least we connected with the server in Texas. I did not want to pay long distance fees for peak hours so I stopped it once it started to download the guide information.
Now we tried an area code in California different area then mine. This time I got the message “Link Down”

All this testing leads the Replay rep to the conclusion (and I agree) that there is a problem with the Replay West Coast dial up server.
He said he would get the information to the appropriate department.

UPDATE:
Well I did get it to connect to the primary number in Fremont CA. I'm in Berkeley (an alt number only). Oakland primary did not work for me, so this is a toll call.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

POTS lines are becoming non-existant and modems, including fax units, have been having a lot of trouble connecting to multiplexed digital lines. Guess Steevo is going to have to scare the telecoms into bringing back copper.

Tony