ReplayTV 5xxx Power Supply Repair - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 63 Old 01-27-2016, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Just finished repairing my RTV-5500. I want to say thanks to Geobrick, whose pics saved me tons of effort trying to trace the circuit myself and figure out which cap was responsible for the 3.3 Volt line.

Interestingly C52 was bulging at the scores and was an obvious replacement candidate, but the 5 Volt line was fine. C41 looked OK at a glance but did show a little heat scorching from the nearby rectifier. So visuals aren't always the be-all and end-all.

I took some advice from a fellow engineer to hopefully buy some time before the caps go again, and mounted the replacements with a little air clearance between the caps and the PCB. Only time will tell. I can't really complain - the ReplayTV did last ten years!

A note about parts availability. I sourced a replacement for C52 from the office parts bin. The 2200 uF C41 was not in Radio Shlock's ever dwindling catalog, Micro Center (which carries a fair amount of that sort of thing now) was a bit out of my way, and I wasn't in the mood to wait for Digikey to ship so I walked into the local TV/radio repair shop and asked if I could buy a capacitor. Cost me a few bucks - highway robbery - but was more than worth the time and travel I saved. Something to keep in mind when parts are a pain to come by.

While I'm talking about RTV repairs I'd like throw in a couple of honorable mentions...

First, the stock 40 GB drive became the cause of maddening stuttering and spontaneous rebooting issues a couple of years ago. A few times I transplanted it into another old PC and used a program called HDD Regenerator to fix the bad sectors causing the problems. That software does an amazing job and tries very hard not to screw up any data. But after having to do that a few more times I knew I was treading increasingly thin ice. So I ran HDD Regenerator on it repeatedly for five days on it until the software stopped finding more bad sectors and went to to the next step...

...which brings me to having recently found, after a lot of searching, a nice quiet 160 GB Barracuda IV IDE drive deep in my stockpile. So I took a stab at using rtvpatch and its associated utilities to backup the original drive image, download what was on the original drive, then upgrade my RTV with the 160 GB drive. The software was fairly easy to use and worked predictably, and now my RTV says it has room for 80 shows! The hardest part was figuring out what jumper settings to use in the drives while they were in the PC.

It is getting hard to find IDE drives by the way. Anyone have experience with using SATA->IDE adapters? In this application or in general? I have tons of SATA drives that are more than large enough. Or, think of the reliability of using a SSD in an RTV! With a little creativity, one might even be able to use a SATA dock!

Last edited by Rectaltronics; 02-04-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 02-17-2016, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No SATA Love - need IDE

Unless there has been a breakthrough in the last couple of years, the ReplayTVs will not work with SATA drives (converters or not). IIRC, they also don't work with the more modern IDE drive (can you say that about an IDE drive?) with cache larger than 8MB. I'm using a 400 GB Seagate drive as the largest one for my ReplayTVs and have saved the old IDEs that I removed from PC upgrades for the future....

Still love the interface and get fairly good quality using the S-video and Composite outputs from the cable boxes.
post #33 of 63 Old 02-17-2016, 08:42 AM

Thanks Lark888 for the info. Seems a bit disappointing. And I thought I knew quite a bit about this stuff but had no idea that there would be interface or logic differences in the "newest" IDE drives. Besides the Cable Select feature anyway. Perhaps the timing of faster drives with bigger caches is confusing the thing.

While the ReplayTV does a fine job with the SD output from my cable box, I've moved from using it for time shifting. I have a good quality VHS deck and an inexpensive 12" LCD hooked up to it for a standalone VHS dubbing station, using the Ethernet connection to move the MPEGs.

I just found out my brother in law has another 5500, never taken out of the box! Hmmm...

post #34 of 63 Old 02-17-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
I just found out my brother in law has another 5500, never taken out of the box! Hmmm...
Then you can do him a favor, because if he ever decides to fire up the 5500, it probably won't work properly because it has very out of date firmware on it. So, before he tries hooking it up, he'll need to remove the HD and flash it with the latest firmware. That version has been patched so that a 5500 unit will act like a 5000 unit, meaning that CA and IVS will be enabled.

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #35 of 63 Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman View Post
Then you can do him a favor, because if he ever decides to fire up the 5500, it probably won't work properly because it has very out of date firmware on it. So, before he tries hooking it up, he'll need to remove the HD and flash it with the latest firmware. That version has been patched so that a 5500 unit will act like a 5000 unit, meaning that CA and IVS will be enabled.
Terrific tip, thanks!!!
post #36 of 63 Old 02-17-2016, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Hey Rob... why wouldn't it work? Sure it will have more bugs than the later release, but why don't think it will work out of the box?

LaHo and WiRNS were able to serve 2000 model units... the stock 5500 is still more recent that that.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #37 of 63 Old 02-18-2016, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Someone had a case just like this recently with a NIB unit and it didn't work for them, I forget the details. But once they re-flashed the drive it worked. Plus, of course, there's the added benefits of enabling CA and IVS.

Later, Rob

post #38 of 63 Old 02-18-2016, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I got a "new" 5500 (never used) last year. The unit wouldn't boot, so I don't know if the software would have been acceptable to WiRNS. I put in a new drive with the latest software (modified to allow CA/IVS) and WiRNS had no trouble activating that. 4-1-4-Zones shows an ISC date in 2015.
post #39 of 63 Old 02-18-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Someone had a case just like this recently with a NIB unit and it didn't work for them, I forget the details. But once they re-flashed the drive it worked. Plus, of course, there's the added benefits of enabling CA and IVS.
Is there a down-side??

EDIT for clarity, I mean, a down-side to downgrading and/or a down-side to depending on WiRNS for future use?

Actually, can a 5500 still be activated the usual way? What with the company being bankrupt and EPG access hanging by a thread...

Last edited by Rectaltronics; 02-18-2016 at 07:31 PM.
post #40 of 63 Old 02-18-2016, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

EPG access ain't hanging, it's gone. There's no downside to upgrading the software at all, and it's really easy to do, the only trick is connecting the hard drive to your PC as PCs don't typically have connections for IDE drives any more, so you'll probably need to buy an adapter cable ($10 on Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OORMVQ/

http://wiki.wirns.com/index.php/RTVPatch

The only way to get a channel guide now is either using WiRNS and Schedules Direct, or through LaHo.

Later, Rob

post #41 of 63 Old 02-18-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
EPG access ain't hanging, it's gone. There's no downside to upgrading the software at all, and it's really easy to do, the only trick is connecting the hard drive to your PC as PCs don't typically have connections for IDE drives any more, so you'll probably need to buy an adapter cable ($10 on Amazon)
Not an issue for me. I still have a box here with a 5-1/4" floppy drive.

Quote:
The only way to get a channel guide now is either using WiRNS and Schedules Direct, or through LaHo.
I didn't even notice. LOLz.
post #42 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What do these words mean: "5-1/4" floppy drive" ???

And more to the point, why on Earth do you still have a floppy drive?

Later, Rob

post #43 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:

I've been using a USB-ATA (IDE) adapter for years. It makes connecting a Replay drive to a PC much easier, (it doesn't matter what drive interface your PC has). No opening the PC case. No rebooting the PC after changing the connections (you still reboot the Replay).

If you're not REPLACING the Replay drive, to don't have to remove it from the Replay. Just remove the Replay IDE cable and attach your adapter. The Replay becomes a power supply for the drive (be careful you don't touch the exposed PS).

replaytv.net appears to still exist. No schedules, of course.
post #44 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I still have a 5-1/4 floppy in one computer. I don't know it if works, since it hasn't been used recently. Perhaps if I want to look at the old DOS 2.11 disk.

I used the 3-1/2 floppy when I set up FREESCO on old hardware. Also, when I installed Win95 (for testing my website on old IE). That CD is not bootable. There's also another old machine that won't boot from CD, and so needs a floppy.
post #45 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Because with things like that, ZIP drives, etc. I can make money from people who are cleaning house and want to save files (that they haven't touched or even thought about in twenty or thirty years). Funny thing, that.

Interestingly you can now buy a USB adapter for old 5.25" drives.

I no longer have my Bernoulli drive however.
post #46 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When I bought my first 486 computer from Gateway, back in 1992 I guess, you could pick your parts "a la carte", so I included a 5.25" floppy drive just so I could be backward compatible, alongside the standard 3.5" floppy drive. That machine cost me $2.5k. But now, even CD/DVD drives are starting to disappear, if you're buying a new laptop online, you need to check the fine print to see if it has an optical drive because many of them don't now. Funny how times change. I still have 45s and LPs while the CD is becoming obsolete.

Later, Rob

post #47 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post
Hey Rob... why wouldn't it work? Sure it will have more bugs than the later release, but why don't think it will work out of the box?

LaHo and WiRNS were able to serve 2000 model units... the stock 5500 is still more recent that that.

Robert
I found the thread that I was remembering where a flashing the latest firmware saved the day...
http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=17050

Later, Rob

post #48 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Flashing a drive is difficult for many non-technical folks. Could your mother/grandmother do it?

Many LaHo subscribers had ReplayTV units set up by kids/grandkids who have moved away.... those were fun to get set up! (you think some of the threads here have been tough!)

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #49 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Compared to most computer related tasks, I would say it was pretty simple. Certainly a whole lot simpler than setting up WiRNS. But, to your point, if it was really so simple, would people have been able to make a living selling formatted drives on ebay? Well, even I bought one of them once, so I think it's more of a case of intimidation rather than it really being difficult, so that's why I keep writing wiki articles to try and make the process easier for people.

The WiRNS documentation was very intimidating, which is partially why I avoided it for so many years. When experts write "how to's" they often pitch them to other experts, which leaves newbies lost, so I try to bridge that gap.

Later, Rob

post #50 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
When I bought my first 486 computer from Gateway, back in 1992 I guess, you could pick your parts "a la carte", so I included a 5.25" floppy drive just so I could be backward compatible, alongside the standard 3.5" floppy drive. That machine cost me $2.5k. But now, even CD/DVD drives are starting to disappear, if you're buying a new laptop online, you need to check the fine print to see if it has an optical drive because many of them don't now. Funny how times change. I still have 45s and LPs while the CD is becoming obsolete.
Makes one wonder what will follow flash memory cards and sticks.

On that note, the ReplayTV being an SD device is also obsolete now, at least somewhat.

But still darn useful!!!

I'm very happy there remains some options for keeping these boxes useful and operational after the apparently complete loss of their support infrastructure. Very grateful to the passionate geeks who modified the software and set up substitute infrastructure for activation, EPG, etc.
post #51 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Makes one wonder what will follow flash memory cards and sticks.

On that note, the ReplayTV being an SD device is also obsolete now, at least somewhat.

But still darn useful!!!

I'm very happy there remains some options for keeping these boxes useful and operational after the apparently complete loss of their support infrastructure. Very grateful to the passionate geeks who modified the software and set up substitute infrastructure for activation, EPG, etc.
I second that! I wish there was a way we could hack them a bit further so they could handle digital pictures and wide screens. In fact, ReplayTV is the main reason that I have resisted going that route (yes, I still have a tube TV), though I am on the lookout for a DVR that can record OTA signals and have some networking ability so I can store my shows offline, like I can with WiRNS. To that end I am looking into the Channel Master DVR+.

Later, Rob

post #52 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I second that! I wish there was a way we could hack them a bit further so they could handle digital pictures and wide screens. In fact, ReplayTV is the main reason that I have resisted going that route (yes, I still have a tube TV), though I am on the lookout for a DVR that can record OTA signals and have some networking ability so I can store my shows offline, like I can with WiRNS. To that end I am looking into the Channel Master DVR+.
No digital, but Replay does work with wide screens. If the video going in is 16*9, and you connect a 16*9 TV to the output, you'll get the right aspect ratio.
post #53 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I second that! I wish there was a way we could hack them a bit further so they could handle digital pictures and wide screens.
Ummmm...

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/dvr/photosoftware.asp

Or are you talking about something else??
post #54 of 63 Old 02-19-2016, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lol, I didn't mean photos, I meant digital TV

Later, Rob

post #55 of 63 Old 02-28-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I have to revise my "didn't notice" comment.

DVArchive won't connect because of the time difference between the PC and the ReplayTV. The RTV can't find its time source any more. LOL. Oh well.

One thing isn't clear to me... Do I need to reset my ReplayTV to its birthday to use WiRNS or can I just find a box to install WiRNS on and things should start working again?

Thanks,
Brad
post #56 of 63 Old 02-28-2016, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If all you want to do is reset the clock, you can do that by connecting to the LaHo Good Will service
http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=16311

You don't need to reset the RTV unit to connect to WiRNS, but it is a good idea to be using the most up to date version of the Replay software, and the only way to get it is to flash it onto the drive using RTVPatch. Check which version you are using, if it's recent you should be fine. The drive image is here:
http://www.planetreplay.com/software...tory_reset.zip

As for finding a box to install WiRNS on, what's wrong with the PC that you're running DVA on?

Later, Rob

post #57 of 63 Old 03-01-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
If all you want to do is reset the clock, you can do that by connecting to the LaHo Good Will service
http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=16311

You don't need to reset the RTV unit to connect to WiRNS, but it is a good idea to be using the most up to date version of the Replay software, and the only way to get it is to flash it onto the drive using RTVPatch. Check which version you are using, if it's recent you should be fine. The drive image is here:

As for finding a box to install WiRNS on, what's wrong with the PC that you're running DVA on?
Using LaHo like that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Great tip, thanks!

I have a 5504 running software version 530511440.

That other 5504 still in its box, unopened, would surely need an update.

Not sure of WiRNS' resource requirements, though it can't possibly be as bad as that Java pig DVArchive I suppose. The box it's on is something of a proverbial camel. MS Exchange, a FAX server, SQL, a couple dozen web sites, DNS, a bunch of web applets and scripts, some of which run every few minutes. All on a P-III with 768MB RAM. I think in terms of what will be the last straw. ;-)
post #58 of 63 Old 03-01-2016, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Using LaHo like that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Great tip, thanks!

I have a 5504 running software version 530511440.

That other 5504 still in its box, unopened, would surely need an update.

Not sure of WiRNS' resource requirements, though it can't possibly be as bad as that Java pig DVArchive I suppose. The box it's on is something of a proverbial camel. MS Exchange, a FAX server, SQL, a couple dozen web sites, DNS, a bunch of web applets and scripts, some of which run every few minutes. All on a P-III with 768MB RAM. I think in terms of what will be the last straw. ;-)
hi guys---i just got a nib 5504 and it seems to work ok. os #530501100 ivs and ca is active---isc date 2/27/2016.
post #59 of 63 Old 03-01-2016, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Version 530511440 is the most recent, but if your box is an RTV55xx, that version has IVS and CA disabled, so if you want those features (and I can't imagine living without IVS now) you will need to flash the patched version of 144 which has CA and IVS restored.

Version 530501100 is an older version where IVS and CA can be restored using WiRNS, but it is missing some bug fixes that are in 144.

Here's the patched version of 144:

Later, Rob

post #60 of 63 Old 03-01-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Version 530511440 is the most recent, but if your box is an RTV55xx, that version has IVS and CA disabled, so if you want those features (and I can't imagine living without IVS now) you will need to flash the patched version of 144 which has CA and IVS restored.

Version 530501100 is an older version where IVS and CA can be restored using WiRNS, but it is missing some bug fixes that are in 144.

Here's the patched version of 144:
Good stuff, thanks.

I can understand you wanting CA and IVS but for me, personally, since I'm only using the box right now as a dubbing station for old VHS tapes, basic functionality is all I'm looking for. If I can get the RTV's clock to match up with reality so that DVArchive stops crapping itself (and hosing the host PC along with it), I'll be happy.

On a completely unrelated note my dubbing station has to be stuck in the one corner of my apartment that has no Ethernet available. Finally a use for the YWA-10 WiFi adapter that came with my Yamaha receiver and has two years worth of household dust on the box. Yay!

On a vaguely, slightly related note, some of the tapes my wife has wanted me to transfer, she has put aside because she has found the content on them available on sites like Hulu and for the most part, they seem to be in better shape on-line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page