ReplayTV 5xxx Power Supply Repair - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 63 Old 03-02-2016, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How do you watch online content? If, for example, you have a Bluray player with the Hulu app on it, you could record from Hulu instead of the VHS tape, if you want to keep a copy of the show for yourself.

If you can use the wifi adapter to connect this Replay to the internet, it would still be a good idea to use IVS because, in addition to being able to get lots of content transferred to you, you would be able to share all the content that you are recording from the VHS tapes.

But if you are going to patch the firmware, it would be better to do it before you start recording stuff, as you typically lose your recordings when you do it. But anyway, it's really easy to do...
http://wiki.wirns.com/index.php/RTVPatch

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 03-02-2016, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman View Post
How do you watch online content? If, for example, you have a Bluray player with the Hulu app on it, you could record from Hulu instead of the VHS tape, if you want to keep a copy of the show for yourself.

If you can use the wifi adapter to connect this Replay to the internet, it would still be a good idea to use IVS because, in addition to being able to get lots of content transferred to you, you would be able to share all the content that you are recording from the VHS tapes.

But if you are going to patch the firmware, it would be better to do it before you start recording stuff, as you typically lose your recordings when you do it. But anyway, it's really easy to do...
http://wiki.wirns.com/index.php/RTVPatch
It's also easy enough to copy recordings from the HD once you're at the point where you can use RTVPatch.

I'm not so sure that I'm interested in scraping stuff from streaming services, except for when I consider the temporal nature of the Internet.

I would have to fish out an HDMI->Composite converter to feed the RTV from my BDP or my HTPC. Right now the only digital equipment in this place with a composite out is the RTV!

Just so we're clear, I'm not at all interested in maintaining the RTV as a media server. I have other solutions for that. I used to use it for time shifting and it was great for quick replays when I missed bits of dialogue or whatever, but at this point in time I'm just using it to breathe some new life into old recordings and I have other more modern, more supportable ways to store and access the digital media.
post #63 of 63 Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 70
FYI Using the LaHo DNS is working nicely for me. DVArchive is happy now that the RTV's time is correct, so I'm able to transfer the videos without having to remove the HD. FWIW the bandwidth on the YWA-10 isn't great for me, and the USB jack on the back of the RTV won't power it so I had to hijack a phone charger. But it is working. And DVArchive's memory footprint is much smaller now that it doesn't have to store five hundred channels of programming data in RAM.

Again I'm grateful for your guidance and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page