Replaytv 4500 and 5000 networking - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have put a second ReplayTV unit on the same network, this is the first time I have done that. I had mostly showstoppers in the past.

So I can see the other machines in the replayguide but I can't see any shows.

I found an old thread from years ago that mentions this but not a solution.

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb//...postid=1924210

Is there a solution to this problem? I have a message in my inbox that says if you have this problem go to

http://replaytv.com/connect

but that site is down.
Can anyone tell me what it said if anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
5xxx and 4xxx don't play with each other. At all.

It's not a matter of "looking for a solution". It's like trying to put diesel fuel into a gasoline car--it doesn't work, and it won't work.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

5xxx and 4xxx don't play with each other. At all.

It's not a matter of "looking for a solution". It's like trying to put diesel fuel into a gasoline car--it doesn't work, and it won't work.

Really? After all those years and what is obviously very similar software between the different models they *never* fixed that? What a bunch of slackers.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

After all *what* years? Replay development stopped a long, long time ago. There wasn't very much time after the introduction of the 5xxx before everything stopped cold, and then the company went out of business.

The only reason they made the 55xx was to get the entertainment industry off their back by removing commercial advance and internet sharing.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds very weird.

Clearly the intention was that they work together and they did sell a lot of units.

They must have worked at some point.

Has *anyone* successfully gotten these units working together? Is this actually known to not work?

Can anyone tell me what the website mentioned in the message I have said?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55 View Post

That sounds very weird.

Clearly the intention was that they work together and they did sell a lot of units.

They must have worked at some point.

?????????? Intentions are nothing but smoke, and the units NEVER worked together. Why would you say that they "must have worked at some point"???

Quote:
Is this actually known to not work?

Ummmm....why would you even ask that question when faced with the facts at hand?

Your shopping for an answer doesn't change the facts. It's been known not to work since day 1 of the 5xxx machines, and it's been known all along that they don't talk to one another. At all.

There is an entire web site devoted to bringing together Replay users for the purpose of sharing shows with one another. Funny thing--a required piece of information is which Replay model you have, 4xxx or 50xx.

Maybe you should head over there and ask.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what the website mentioned in the message I have said?

Which web site? Replaytv.com? Or the thread you found from FEBRUARY of TWO THOUSAND AND THREE? That was almost 9 years ago. In 2004, they dumped inventory and got out of the hardware biz. They had all sorts of grand ideas, but that all came to a hard stop pretty quickly.

Sure, in 2002 Replay had all sorts of plans, and made "forward-looking statements" accordingly. As the national divorce rate may indicate, not all plans work out.

But don't let me stop you from shopping for the answer you want until you get it. Let us all know how that works out.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Adam,

I'm saying they had to have working in engineering. That had to be the goal.

They released it not working at all?

No one else has posted on this except you, and I got the impression you were using 7MC now. Which I am going to put up soon.

But are there any users who have gotten this working? I was not aware this *never* worked, and I have been around a long time.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

LOTS of things were the goal--such as wireless networking, etc.

I'm sure HD was also an engineering goal.

Fact: they released the 5xxx as it is, not able to play 4xxx shows--be that local network or internet sharing. And then development STOPPED.

It has NEVER worked. And it never will.

I am using 7MC now, dedicated since the end of May when my cableco shut off analog. So?

This discussion is analogous to all the 7MC users who desperately shop for an answer they want even after repeatedly being told that only a Media Center Extender can do what they want, that a Windows PC can't--because after all, MS did create softsled (and even put it into beta versions of Windows).
Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 PM

Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there were intentions to provide the ability to network 4xxx and 5xxx machines...but for whatever reason, it didn't work out...and I remember them allowing folks to trade in a 4xxx for a 5xxx, or a 5xxx and a 4xxx (so that you could have the same series of units). I'm pretty sure it was a hardware-related cause, not software....
Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I always assumed it worked.

That is weird. No wonder they are out of business. They really should have fixed that.

And I have two Xbox 360s for 7MC extenders, so no problem with that.

I have been watching for a cheap computer with windows 7 on it but I haven't found one yet. Not that I have looked particularly hard. I could build a computer and buy windows 7 for it. But I haven't yet.

I have an old Gateway FMC-901 with the old old media center on it that doesn't support ATSC, so I am being pushed into upgrading. But that box, I consider it very nice compared to the alternatives available today. Pretty grim, and expensive!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
As was discussed at the time, the problem to "fix it" were insurmountable. They did the unheard of thing of allowing people that were "confused" and bought diff units, the ability to trade them in for a model that was compatible with their other units.

Tony
Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 AM

I was in the first consumer Beta Test group for ReplayTV. We started with the 2000 series and went through the 5000's.

In that time, I worked with both the 4000 and the 5000 series and helped test many versions of the software. The folks at Replay worked very hard to get the units to talk to each other reliably. They just would not work. IIRC, the problems were related to the hardware differences. For one, the 5000 has a better video encoder than the 4000s.

The 4000's were already on the market and the 5000s were a large leap forward in performance. Anyway, as noted above, they finally had to cut their losses and offer swaps for those who had incompatible machines. Well, except for us beta testers! I still have a 4500 sitting on my shelf in need of a hard drive but don't use it beacuse my other two units are 5000s!

Doug

Doug Smith

I tried keeping an open mind but every time I leaned over, something I knew fell out.