too many replays!? what to do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-04-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We now have 7 replays on our network. Everything was working fine, even with one instance of dva running. We don't run dva and wirns at the same time. The other day all replays and dva went crazy - it was prime time and they were all probably just starting to record. They taped 13 mins which turned out to be about ten seconds and then started reboot looping until I shut down dva. Then they all rebooted and taped about 37 mins. I haven't started dva since, but wirns was started up. And all was working fine. Still only 8 networked guides showing up.

This morning it happened again with wirns running. I have no idea when it started they could have been rebooting all night. I shut down wirns and it went back to normal. I only use dva to pull shows off and stream to the replays, so there are no shows in wirns and no reason I need it showing up on the replays.

1. Is there anything I can do to allow us to hook up more replays, even if it means they all can't see each others guide?
2. Is there anything I can do to wirns to keep it running but not act as a replay.

I really don't want to have to remember to plug and unplug network cables. It's bad enough I can't run wirns and dva at the same time. I have three more replays that I was hoping to hook up after Christmas. But if there's no way to keep them from freaking out, there's no point.

Thanks,
em
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-04-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmarie View Post

We now have 7 replays on our network...

...one instance of dva running. We don't run dva and wirns at the same time. The other day all replays and dva went crazy... ...Still only 8 networked guides showing up...

1. Is there anything I can do to allow us to hook up more replays, even if it means they all can't see each others guide?

2. Is there anything I can do to wirns to keep it running but not act as a replay.

AFAIK, there is no limit as to the number of ReplayTVs you can run (well, maybe 253 or 254 on one subnet ). *IF* you want each ReplayTV to see all the others, the limit is 8 - i.e. each ReplayTV can see only 7 others.

To remove the DVArchive Virtual ReplayTV(s), stop the Server (bottom right corner, click the green dot so it turns red; you can leave the Scheduler running if you use it).

To remove the WiRNS Virtual ReplayTV, stop the uPnP Server (on the WiRNS Configuration page; IIRC, you have to re-start WiRNS when you do this).

If running WiRNS causes your setup to go haywire, I'd suggust starting WiRNS in Command Prompt mode and see what the log says. srfrdan claims to be successfully running 10 ReplayTVs, admitting that each sees different other ReplayTVs (limit 7).

If WiRNS is causing a problem and you can't immediately spot it in the log, I'd suggest powering down every ReplayTV (while holding in the power button, unplug it as soon as the fan stops, or wait at least 16 seconds for a 55xx, 8 seconds for a 50xx). Then, add one ReplayTV back at a time, start it recording something, wait a few minutes, add another...

Good Luck!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #3 of 3 Old 12-25-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Uggggggggghhhhhhh. WinAmp all along! All that wasted time of assuming it was too many machines on our network or something wrong with our router and here it had nothing to do with that. So many things worked once and then they didn't the next time. So many coincidences, it seems impossible.

Thanks for your help.

-em
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page