Problems using the Sunkey SK-801ATSC converter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently had to swich out my digital converter box to the Sunkey. It works fine with the remote but I cannot get the right ReplayTV IR setting. Right now I am setting it up as a Panisonic setting 144. This allow it to decode just fine and change channels with the remote. I would lioke to get the IR system working correctly. I am using an antena. I do not have cable or satillite.

Does anyone know the settings that will allow the box to work right. Another restriction I amworking with is that Comcast is the cable provider and the channels are not in the same order as the TV. I am using the Sunkey set as a Satalite Panasonic 144. This worked for the box that broke.

One last question. Does anyone know how to get ReplayTV to select the added channels. Channel 5 has 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 5-4 and 5-45. I can only select 5-1 with ReplayTV. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-10-2012, 05:00 AM

You have several issues you will need to resolve:

1) You need to determine a working IR code for your converter. It does not appear that this particular converter has been mentioned in these forums. In the end it may be significantly easier to purchase one of the many converters that have been shown to work with the replay. Read the thread about CECB (Coupon Eligible Converter Boxes) for many examples

2) If you find a code that works with this converter you may need to load it to the replay. There is a long thread here that goes into the ways this can be done including links to places where the codes may already be available or can be created.

3) Does this box allow direct tuning to some or all channels. I have 2 boxes, 1 of them will allow me to directly tune to all channels and the other only allows tuning to the main channel (not the additional subs -2, -3, etc). You will also need to determine what format the device wants the channel sent. For example, my converter wants a 5 digit format with 3 digits for channel and 2 for sub (format - CCCss). Replay can't send a hyphen or dot if your converter requires that but with WIRNS you may be able to map another digit as that character

In other words there may be a lot of work and reading to get a converter working that hasn't been documented here previously.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsa01 View Post

You have several issues you will need to resolve:
3) Does this box allow direct tuning to some or all channels. I have 2 boxes, 1 of them will allow me to directly tune to all channels and the other only allows tuning to the main channel (not the additional subs -2, -3, etc). You will also need to determine what format the device wants the channel sent. For example, my converter wants a 5 digit format with 3 digits for channel and 2 for sub (format - CCCss). Replay can't send a hyphen or dot if your converter requires that but with WIRNS you may be able to map another digit as that character

In other words there may be a lot of work and reading to get a converter working that hasn't been documented here previously.

This will be your biggest obstacle.

If your STB requires the use of a hash (-) or dot (.) to enter a channel number, you WILL need to create a custom lineup, replacing the hash or dot with an unused digit, and replacing the hash or dot with that digit in your custom lineup. (Not to mention you will need to create the custom IR blaster file) You will need WiRNS to manage this.

For example, in the New York market, the digits six (6) and eight (8) are unused. Therefore, if I needed to tune channels 2-1, 2-2, and 2-3, I could do the following:
  • Create a custom IR Blaster file, replacing the code for "6" with the code for "-", and upload that custom IR blaster file to my RTV.
  • Create a custom lineup in WiRNS to map the channels properly. 2-1 becomes 261. 2-2 becomes 262. 2-4 becomes 264.
  • Use WiRNS to feed the custom lineup data to my RTV.

Of course, if I need to tune a -6 subchannel, then I will need to find another unused digit....

Not a trivial task...

In addition, I am not sure of any limits on digits. For example, if you need to tune to 100.354, that is really 7 digits. This many be too many for the RTV to handle.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM

I'm local to you (twin cities) if you end up wanting some help or to bouce ideas off someone shoot me an email.

armstrong_sj@yahoo.com

I've gone through the whole WIRNS setup and reconfiguration process so may be able to discuss options with you.

Good uck either way.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page