new 5532 user - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-15-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am another newbie with some odd questions.

I have a 5532 Replay unit which I have never activated. Looking for thoughts.
(have never used Replay service)

Should I feed the inputs with my rooftop antenna as well as my
DirecTV HD DVR?
Is there a better configuration?

Also, will I have options of types of service when I sign up with Replay?

What else should I consider?

Thanks!

Bukzin
North California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Welcome bukzin,

This appears to be your *FIRST* post in the ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs forum.

Before mid-June 2011, I would have had a DIFFERENT answer for you. TODAY, things are 'Different'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post

...I have a 5532 Replay unit which I have never activated. Looking for thoughts. (have never used Replay service)...

Obviously, the *FIRST* thing that you don't appear to know is that DNNA / ReplayTV announced in mid-June 2011 that they were DISCONTINUING their ReplayTV Guide service. Then, IIRC, around July 31, 2011, they RECONSIDERED - deciding to give the LOYAL ReplayTV Community time to ADAPT to WiRNS 3.X with either Schedules Direct (Paid) or a Scraper (FREE).
  • WHEN did you purchase your ReplayTV 5532?
  • Is it 'Lifetime' or 'Monthly'?
I suggest that you *FIRST* SEARCH this forum (for threads created mid-June 2011) and then read specific posts in my ReplayTV STICKY:
ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions:
Quote:

...Should I feed the inputs with my rooftop antenna as well as my DirecTV HD DVR? Is there a better configuration?

The *SECOND* thing that you don't appear to know is that back in ~FEB 2009, IIRC, the FCC *CHANGED* OTA (i.e. Rooftop Antenna) from NTSC/ANALOG to ATSC/DIGITAL - your ReplayTV 5532 is NTSC/ANALOG, so, your built-in tuner is useless, except for some 'low power' local NON-NETWORK stations that MIGHT be available.
  • To utilize ATSC/DIGITAL OTA signals with a ReplayTV, you'll need a CECB (look in my STICKY, find the AVS CECB Forum, or GOOGLE 'CECB').
  • To use DirecTV HD DVR signals, you'll have TWO problems:
    1. Find the proper code to allow the ReplayTV IR Blaster to control / change channels on the DirecTV HD DVR (probably simple).
    2. *MANUALLY* avoid conflicts between the DirecTV HD DVR and what the ReplayTV wants!
      Personally, I regard this task as *IMPOSSIBLE* to accomplish, and would advise getting an additional SD or HD STB to INDEPENDENTLY feed your ReplayTV.
Quote:

...Also, will I have options of types of service when I sign up with Replay?

AFAIK, and I haven't checked since Jun/Jul 2011, *ALL* Lifetime *AND* Monthly units were granted *FOREVER* status. You haven't stated whether your 5532 is Lifetime or Monthly, so, as of Jan 2012, I can't tell you what will happen if/when you attempt to 'Register / Activate' via DNNA / ReplayTV. IMO, you *SHOULD* get *FOREVER* on either a Lifetime or Monthly.

Then, back in Jun/Jul 2011, the *INITIAL* RECCOMENDATION was to *IMMEDIATELY* make an 'Image Copy' of that *FOREVER* activation, just in case your current HDD ever died. Afterwards, with WiRNS 3.X, AFAICT, WiRNS 3.X could 'Activate' *ANY* ReplayTV (at least 4000/5000 Series).

Quote:

...What else should I consider?

I dunno:
  1. Create an 'Image Copy' of your current 5532 HDD.
  2. Attempt to 'Activate' via DNNA/ReplayTV.
  3. Install WiRNS 3.X, subscribe to Schedules Direct (or a Scraper) and attempt to 'Activate' via WiRNS 3.X.
  4. etc... (You get the '*BIG* Picture', right?)
Good Luck!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #3 of 7 Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

ClearToLand,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I think I got my 5532 from Woot.com several years ago.
No idea if its monthly or lifetime.

I connected it via ethernet and can see IP (192.168.5.103), Netmask,
gateway, etc. Do not have a phone line connected; do I need one?

I do not own a digital convertor but I do have a couple of old Tivo boxes
(both stand alone and with DirecTV included) Can one of these help
avoid the program conflicts?
If I set it up this way do I still need to connect a IR blaster?

If I get my 5532 activated via DNNA/ReplayTV can I avoid the additional
software?

Thanks again

Bukzin
North California
post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

OK, just went through the activation process and the system said I
was activated.

Do I need to do the 'MyReplayTV Registration' process next?

It is connected to my OTA signal (without a digital convertor box)
Cycled thru with the input button on the remote but still got nothing.
I also have basic channels on cable with Comcast, are these analog?

The system also went thru the 'getting channel guide information'
process. I can see my local broadcast channels (both analog and digital) but it says
'no video signal detected' Is this because I have no digital convertor box?

The local time is correct. I set up a manual recording and the red light came on but my program did not record.

Bukzin
North California
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
  1. Quote:

...Thanks for the detailed response.

I think I got my 5532 from Woot.com several years ago. No idea if its monthly or lifetime.

I connected it via ethernet and can see IP (192.168.5.103), Netmask, gateway, etc. Do not have a phone line connected; do I need one?

I do not own a digital convertor but I do have a couple of old Tivo boxes (both stand alone and with DirecTV included) Can one of these help avoid the program conflicts?

If I set it up this way do I still need to connect a IR blaster?

If I get my 5532 activated via DNNA/ReplayTV can I avoid the additional software?

2. Quote:

OK, just went through the activation process and the system said I was activated.

It is connected to my OTA signal (without a digital convertor box) Cycled thru with the input button on the remote but still got nothing. I also have basic channels on cable with Comcast, are these analog?

The system also went thru the 'getting channel guide information' process. I can see my local broadcast channels (both analog and digital) but it says 'no video signal detected' Is this because I have no digital convertor box?

The local time is correct. I set up a manual recording and the red light came on but my program did not record.

Wow! That was a QUICK response! What state are you in? (You can add it to your Profile). AH! I just noticed "Northern California" in your SIG Line - add it to your Profile and "Old Farts" like me will notice it sooner.

You're a NEWBIE and I'm an "Old Fart" that prefers that you read the FAQs *FIRST* before asking "Previously-Asked-and-Answered" questions.

Briefly:
    1. I don't believe that you're going to receive *ANY* useable (i.e. Major Network) signals over your OTA RF Connection.
    2. I *DO* believe that you'll be able to receive, and tune, ATSC/DIGITAL OTA via a CECB.
    3. I don't believe that you're going to be able to use your DirecTV DVR as a Tuner. You *MIGHT* be able to use your TiVo, but from the knowledge level of your questions, I believe it may be 'Too Complicated'. A DirecTV STB *MAY* work out well for you.
    4. *ANY* Tuner you choose *WILL* require an IR Blaster, and possibly a Custom .RID file.
    5. If you have an Internet Connection, you don't need a Telephone Connection.
    6. If you get 'Forever' Activated by DNNA/ReplayTV, you don't need to install WiRNS 3.X, for now!
    7. "MyReplayTV" is DEAD & GONE - forget about it.
    8. Comcast went ALL DIGITAL in NJ as of ~12/01/11. I don't know if/when CA is/went ALL DIGITAL, but, *IF* it hasn't, expect it to happen SOON. I.E. Comcast STB *OR* CECB OTA for *EVERY* TV.
    9. Finally, you won't record *ANYTHING* via your ReplayTV RF connection. Composite or Composite w/S-Video out of your DirecTV DVR, STB or CECB are your *ONLY* options, besides OTA via CECBs.
Read for a few days and then come back with more questions. I'm *GLAD* to to help a Newbie, but *ADVERSE* to repeating what has already been 'Asked-and-Answered'.

"Much to learn you still have...my young padawan." ... "This is just the beginning!"

TTYL...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

OK, just went through the activation process and the system said I was activated.

Makes sense.
Quote:

It is connected to my OTA signal (without a digital convertor box). ...... I also have basic channels on cable with Comcast, are these analog?

OTA would need a box, but Comcast may carry analog and work fine depending on your area; try that. All the advice you've had sounds good.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
To utilize ATSC/DIGITAL OTA signals with a ReplayTV, you'll need a CECB

To clarify: CECB means "coupon enabled converter box," and is a relic of a term from back when people were scrambling to get free gummint handouts of converter boxes.

There technically is no such thing as a "CECB"; what one needs is a converter box, period, to convert ATSC to NTSC or something else the Replay can ingest.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page