Replay TV Not Connecting To Server - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still not able to get a server connection with the 800 number... will continue trying...

Joe

edit: tried again this afternoon -- it establishes connection and then gets nowhere, ending the call with a network server connection error.

I tried clearing the channel guide (which reboots the ReplayTV computer) with no better luck. Anyone has any more ideas short of reflashing the hard drive, let me know.

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post

A terminal is just an OE of which there maybe several with the same phone number attached. An OE (office extension) is simply a 2 wire frame appearance that has a dialtone on it. In the newer ESS offices, they call them lens. To help you understand why they use mlhg, it provides multiple access to the same number. So if a mlhg has 30 terminals in it, it means 30 people could call in at the same time, access the server and get a connection/download. If you didn't have a mlhg, only one person could call in at a time to get a RTV connect and download.

If you have most questions, ask me and I'll try to answer...

Thanks for the explanation!

"MLHG" didn't get many hits in GOOGLE, but once I found out that it stood for "Multiline Hunt Group", I found many more. For anyone else interested in the topic, here's one:
Wikipedia: Line Hunting Once you learn what the various abbreviations stand for, further researching the topic becomes much easier.

As I currently understand it, this would be the same system a business, like Newegg for example, would use to have one main number and multiple CSRs on separate extensions. The difference here is the extensions are modems instead of telephones.

To relate it to ReplayTV and the internet, your PUBIC WAN IP is the main number and your PRIVATE LAN IPs are the "Hunt Group", but there's no hunting going on because for Poopli, for example, each ReplayTV needs a specific PORT. Then your router re-directs in incoming request to the proper RelayTV (4XXX and above ).

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #273 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyzersoce View Post

After many failed downloading attempts in the LA area, I changed the area code to 626, used a Pasadena Zip Code(91103), and was able to connect with the national Replay service, where I couldn't before. Then, using 626-463-6309, I downloaded 8 days of guide. I went back, changed the area code to 310, and was able to get LA Time Warner guide using a San Pedro #: 310-221-3996. Been working smoothly ever since.

My SS has been unable to download Guide data for over a month, and I've been lurking around here for clues. The above procedure seems to have done the trick for me. I followed keyzersoce's process exactly, including using the Pasadena area code & zip (Pasadena's only a hour away). Got the same results that keyzersoce's reports. Then changed settings back to my location, and it worked. I now have 8 days of Guide data (woo-hoo!). I'll come back here in a few days to follow up on how my nightly automatic updates have gone.

Here's some background in hopes it helps the experts here figure out what happened.

1. My automatic nightly updates started failing consistently over a month ago. The Guide drained down to emptiness. The error messages always said "network error," but I noticed the fine print varied. Sometimes it was "could not connect" or similar. But a few (most recent?) said "because the modem hung up."

2. Manual connections always seemed to start OK, but progress was very slow. It would always get through most of the steps. After about 45 minutes, during "checking for new software" it would suddenly stop and report a network error. Although it had looked like Guide data had been downloaded, the Guide remained empty. I tried these manual connections maybe 10 times over the past couple weeks, and they all went exactly like this.

Speculations: (1) modems on the Pasadena lines are working better than the ones here in Thousand Oaks, (2) timeouts are involved, and (3) some of the data and parameters in the RTV/SS don't get replaced until after a comm session successfully completes. Possible tell-tale example: before my successful session thru Pasadena, my SS listed my cable service as "Thousand Oaks Time Warner Cable". After the successful connections, my service is now listed as "Newbury Park Time Warner Cable" (NP is just a subdivision of TO). Over the years, TW has restructured their service -- the SS menu to select my service is now longer than the old list was before having a successful connection. I suspect that something old like this was causing my connections to go so slowly that they eventually exceeded a timeout threshold. Since those connections never completed successfully, the culprit never got flushed out. Then the successful connection through Pasadena flushed it out, and when I came back to the Thousand Oaks node, I got a normal 20-minute download.

Thank you keyzersoce!
post #274 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 03:54 PM

Where my SS used to abort the guide download at the "combining data" point at the end of the guide 243 download (or on the nightly connection either), it now aborts near the end after it has paused on the message "checking for new Hard Disc Recorder software". That might not be the exact phrase word for word, but that is when the download tanks.

To make matters worse, when I changed the phone info to get my unit to call in for the telephone numbers for my area and channel numbers and hopefully get guide info again, I get a network connect error in the middle of that download as well. I got the error before and after I cleared the channel guide twice. So now I have nothing at all on this Panasonic SS unit. Great, just great. Anybody else having troubles again with these particular units? Had been operating just fine for about 10 days. Hey DNNA, come on, I now have 1 functioning unit (my 4516) out of 4 units!!
post #275 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 04:41 PM

dbir - Newberry Park and Thousand Oaks share the 91320 zip, so if that is your area it would make sense. You can clear the channel guide and then reload via 243 zones too. I have been having the same download problems as you with my SS units. DNNA is aware that these units are having particular problems in this area, and things were good for me up in Spokane for about 10 days, but now they are worse than before. Thanks for validating my finding on the latest connect error.
post #276 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbir View Post

Speculations: (1) modems on the Pasadena lines are working better than the ones here in Thousand Oaks, (2) timeouts are involved, and (3) some of the data and parameters in the RTV/SS don't get replaced until after a comm session successfully completes. Possible tell-tale example: before my successful session thru Pasadena, my SS listed my cable service as "Thousand Oaks Time Warner Cable". After the successful connections, my service is now listed as "Newbury Park Time Warner Cable" (NP is just a subdivision of TO). Over the years, TW has restructured their service -- the SS menu to select my service is now longer than the old list was before having a successful connection. I suspect that something old like this was causing my connections to go so slowly that they eventually exceeded a timeout threshold. Since those connections never completed successfully, the culprit never got flushed out. Then the successful connection through Pasadena flushed it out, and when I came back to the Thousand Oaks node, I got a normal 20-minute download.

If you really believe the Pasadena numbers work better, then why change back to the Thousand Oaks numbers? The phone numbers & area codes have nothing to do with each other.Phone numbers determine what locals call in numbers your unit has, and zip codes determine the television lineup. So just use the Pasadena number with your Thousand Oak zip, and don't bother with the faulty local dial ins. Unless you are paying for long distance?

I'm afraid I tried the Pasadena numbers without success. It really seems to be a hit or miss thing.

Joe

post #277 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CStoe View Post

Where my SS used to abort the guide download at the "combining data" point at the end of the guide 243 download (or on the nightly connection either), it now aborts near the end after it has paused on the message "checking for new Hard Disc Recorder software". That might not be the exact phrase word for word, but that is when the download tanks.

To make matters worse, when I changed the phone info to get my unit to call in for the telephone numbers for my area and channel numbers and hopefully get guide info again, I get a network connect error in the middle of that download as well. I got the error before and after I cleared the channel guide twice. So now I have nothing at all on this Panasonic SS unit. Great, just great. Anybody else having troubles again with these particular units? Had been operating just fine for about 10 days. Hey DNNA, come on, I now have 1 functioning unit (my 4516) out of 4 units!!

see my description above. same as you. It is a Panasonic unit as well. I'm still not convinces that has anything to do with it -- everything is too intermittent.

Joe

post #278 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwz View Post

... But back to my orginal suggestion. The setup process goes to an 800 number. That number should be lightly loaded on the weekend. You *might* get lucky and bypass the DNS failure, and resolve "production.replaytv.net". ...

A note of caution; everyone probably knows this but it bears repeating. If you are using the trick of putting a local access number into the dialing prefix, THAT'S the number which will be called when you change your Setup to trigger a call to RTV, not the 800 number. You can test this by putting your own mobile number (for instance) into the dialing prefix.
post #279 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post

see my description above. same as you. It is a Panasonic unit as well. I'm still not convinces that has anything to do with it -- everything is too intermittent.

Joe

But you are having connect problems, and I can connect but not complete the downloads, so not the same problem. The download aborts every time, not intermittently, and at the same place in the download. If it can be recreated repeatedly, it's a bug as far as the QA rules I had to follow years ago.

Since we both have SS units, I have been following your posts to see if it has gotten any better for you. I started getting guides while you were unfortunately left hanging. I have been looking for parallels, but I cannot tell sometimes if it is your SS unit or Replay unit you are talking about.

Now I'm back in the muck. I just got booted from a phone numbers download for the 10th or so time in the past two days, always at the same spot near the end.
post #280 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

A note of caution; everyone probably knows this but it bears repeating. If you are using the trick of putting a local access number into the dialing prefix, THAT'S the number which will be called when you change your Setup to trigger a call to RTV, not the 800 number. You can test this by putting your own mobile number (for instance) into the dialing prefix.

I've been leaving my phone area code and prefix as the real thing, but wiping out the zip code. I save these changes and exit setup. When I go back into setup I get a message that info is missing, it then takes me through the phone and zip info process. I put back in my real zip code and "continue". At this point my unit dials in (where - an 800 # ?) To get my phone access numbers and channel lineup.

I used to be able to do this and it worked, I could get back my original settings, but starting yesterday or Friday this process began aborting too, with a network connect error message at the end. My hard drive churned away, and I get messages that stuff is being retrieved, just like a 243, but then it aborts. This is new behavior from my experience. Maybe the server is offline for the weekend. Now I have no guide, no channel numbers, and no list of phone access lines and cable providers. NDT.
post #281 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

I noticed this too. You can also use the 800 number itself as a dialing prefix -- but it doesn't seem to allow for successful forced connects.

Joe

post #282 of 409 Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:

I noticed this too. You can also use the 800 number itself as a dialing prefix -- but it doesn't seem to allow for successful forced connects.

Joe

That's surprising - I'd think the 800 number would be the most reliable - how did you come up with it and can you share it with the AVS audience?
post #283 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 04:02 AM

I followed RobMan's instructions and I did get a new channel lineup for Chicago (ZIP code 60609) and then I changed it back to my real location (Plano, TX). The channel lineup is correct, but the tv listings are still empty. I am using a known good number as a prefix and the connection seems to run properly (i.e. my RTV says Disconnecting, combining info, etc.) Since this is an RTV 3030 (modem only), I can't use wireshark.

One odd thing I have noticed is that the date is set to Nov 13, 1999. Perhaps that's why there are no tv listings?

Mike

Quote:

It's the weekend, a good time to try RobMan's procedure at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1403214

I've learned a lot from:
- enabling PTVIO, and looking at R3k, R5k console messages

- looking at those messages and Wiresharking an R3K try an update from the Replaytv servers through FREESCO (which it appears is now also broken)

- comparing all that with R3k thru FREESCO to WiRNS V2 which as previously mentioned works fine. Note that WiRNS V2 uses the Replaytv servers for data, and seems to solve the hung session when going directly from FREESCO.

Without going into a lot of detail, it appears to me that their "authentication change" has crippled DNS resolution. Here's a typical PTV messsage that happens after sitting on "connection established"

Nonfatal ERROR OCCURRED -
MODULE - DNS Module error number 0x907, parameters: 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
Task id is 0x1001c
Highest mem is 0x9c3cf22b
Task error code 0x0

But back to my orginal suggestion. The setup process goes to an 800 number. That number should be lightly loaded on the weekend. You *might* get lucky and bypass the DNS failure, and resolve "production.replaytv.net". Your replaytv will cache that IP address for some period of time, so if you do the 243 zones net connect soon after (no reboot in between), you will hopefully get a refreshed channel guide

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. one thing I've learned is that those "progress" messages after "Connection Established" during a long session, they just mean that the given step has timed out. Other people have mentioned this with respect to the setting clock message, but it also applies to all those percentage countdowns. This from observing the replay screen messages while observing the error messages on the PTV console, and observing the lack of any progress on a failed FREESCO wireshark.

post #284 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 AM

Sounds like "setting the clock" failed during your connection. I'd try again, hopefully before the work week network traffic kicks in.

The only way I can trace is a "dial" into freesco.

After "connection established", the messages are almost meaningless but the timing of the messages can be helpful. If you sit a long time forever on "setting the clock" it's failed. Try a net connect with 2- toggle clock on and see if the clock changes during the start of the connection
post #285 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's surprising - I'd think the 800 number would be the most reliable - how did you come up with it and can you share it with the AVS audience?

My home phone is a Vonage voip line. Among other services, Vonage logs all numbers called or received. After forcing a number change, I looked in the logs and saw what number I dialed... The number that comes up in the log: 800-XXX-XXXX

I thought the same thing -- maybe I could bypass all of the local telephone number reliability problems. But, as I said, it doesn't seem to be very useful, because when I tried to do a forced connect using it as the dialing prefix it didn't download guide data. I think it is a "one-trick-pony" and only gives out new phone numbers. Let me know if it works differently for you.

As far as reliability goes, it hasn't connected for my Panasonic ReplayTV unit. It took several tries the last time I changed numbers on my ReplaTY branded unit.

Joe

post #286 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 AM

Yes, that's the same number that the replaytv 5k's advertises in their PTV messages on a setup connect. I guess they were proud of themselves for closing the long prefix bug.

Quote:

I think it is a "one-trick-pony" and only gives out new phone numbers. Let me know if it works differently for you.

As far as reliability goes, it hasn't connected for my Panasonic ReplayTV unit. It took several tries the last time I changed numbers on my ReplaTY branded unit.

Joe

I'm conflicted replying to your take that the 800 number only works for setup. The system was designed to only use the 800 number for setup as replaytv has to pay a surcharge for that usage. The off-hours calls are supposed to be non-800. If everyone puts the 800 number in the prefix it might give DNNA motivation to try and kill the service again (instead of just crippling it) due to increased cost. But if your unit is crippled, it's worth trying the 800 number as the nightly dial prefix. 800 numbers are typically used by businesses and they aren't typically making Internet calls at 2 in the morning.

The other reason to try the 800 number (if you have to) is what I call "the server of last resort". I've had several freesco wireshark traces that show the replay trying a last ditch raw IP server contact about 40 minutes into the connection. This overrides the failure to resolve production.replaytv.net

Now freesco with replaytv fails for a different reason than real dial, but that 40 minute last ditch connection might explain why some people continue to work (and why many of the local numbers are jammed up from long sessions). In my case that IP address was 192.168.3.11 - my WiRNS V2 server (the last successful connection that replaytv had) and the update completed successfully.

Joe, it would be interesting if you look at your vonage phone logs from January or so when things worked. How long were your nightly connections? Since then do you see any much longer sessions?

Another thing we can try, that I've setup as a backup for my mom's dial r3k, is have you dial a freesco to resolve production.replaytv.net. That connection would hang, you'd then cancel it (takes a long time for the stop to complete). Then change the prefix to real dial, and now that you have the IP address of a replaytv server you should be able to download an update

I'm surprised you even work with modem connections over VOIP. Do you force the speed down to 9600?
post #287 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joe, it would be interesting if you look at your vonage phone logs from January or so when things worked. How long were your nightly connections? Since then do you see any much longer sessions?

Looking at my logs (and remembering that I have two units and don't know which call is for which each night), I dialed 207-755-9036 from May through November of last year, and the calls took 4-8 minutes on average, 5 minutes being the most common number, but a few that were longer (10-12 min) and a few that were longer still (20min). There was also quite a few 1 min or less connections -- I used phone-jack-over-powerline to get the two Replay's to a phone jack and if the lines were noisy (like when a laptop power supply is plugged in overnight), the line would be too noisy for the modem connection.

And yes, I run at the slowest modem connection speed because of VoiP bandwidth. Have for many years.

In November, I switched to 207-622-8165 on one unit and 207-541-5584 on the other. 207-541-5584 continued in the 5-6 minute range, but was 13-20 minutes if there were several days between successful calls (i.e. no call in log or only 1-2 minute calls several days in a row). 207-622-8165 behaved similarly, but with a lot more 1-2 minute calls and a lot more 12 min calls. I think this must be my bedroom unit (the Panasonic Showstopper), because the phone jack was much noisier than the one in the living room (the ReplayTV).

In Feb/Mar everything went to hell and I tried all kinds of numbers (I also got extension lines that allow the Replays to both plug directly into the phone line and bypass the power line jacks).

Looking at the last week, what I am assuming are the "good" calls on the ReplayTV unit where I get guide data are on the order of 8-10 minutes. The unsuccessfull calls on the Showstopper are 1-2 minutes. Maybe the time for the ReplayTV call in has increased by a few minutes.

Quote:

Another thing we can try, that I've setup as a backup for my mom's dial r3k, is have you dial a freesco to resolve production.replaytv.net. That connection would hang, you'd then cancel it (takes a long time for the stop to complete). Then change the prefix to real dial, and now that you have the IP address of a replaytv server you should be able to download an update

Let me know what number to have it dial and I will try it. I'd love to give it a shot. If you go to my homepage (link below) there is a link to my email -- you can email the number/instructions if you don't want to make them public.

Joe

post #288 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 AM

email and PM sent. Please try soon as this is my only phone line. If want to do this later just let me know the time.

Oh, I forgot to mention in the instructions that your second call should quickly progress to "setting clock" but pause there as the NTP server isn't resolved.
post #289 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I was out cutting the lawn... should be around the rest of the afternoon/evening... drop me a line and we can try again.

Joe

post #290 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 AM

The server that DNNA put back online so users could download user manuals (and I tested a download at the time) is down again. Perhaps that is why we have been getting network connect errors when we attempt to retrieve the phone access numbers and channel lineup? (Not the program guide via 243) They're on the same server?
post #291 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 PM

Please take that 800 number down. I am afraid that if RTV users swamp that line, then DNNA will kill everything right now. Too many calls could swamp that prefix entirely at the phone provider's servers before calls even reach the DNNA number and cause a busy circuits problem, like call in shows get - the double fast busy signal or the "try your call again later" message. An over abundance of caution perhaps, but . . . .
post #292 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please take that 800 number down. I am afraid that if RTV users swamp that line, then DNNA will kill everything right now. Too many calls could swamp that prefix entirely at the phone provider's servers before calls even reach the DNNA number and cause a busy circuits problem, like call in shows get - the double fast busy signal or the "try your call again later" message. An over abundance of caution perhaps, but . . . .

I took it down, but... it isn't secret. Anyone can look at the call log they get when the phone company sends them their bill every month and see what it is. It is also posted elsewhere on the net and can be found with a little google search action. It appears that it really is an access number for an international telecommunications company -- and I would think would have enough support for any number of dial-ins.

Joe

post #293 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 02:25 PM

After 10 days of no guide on my SS unit, and not able to get access numbers either, I just completed a download of access numbers and then immediately did a 243 connect and got a full 8 day guide (which is the normal number of days for this unit). The net connect went quickly even though I needed to have the whole guide downloaded. I was holding my breath when the checking for new software message came up, but it completed immediately. Happy for while at least !
post #294 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

It really seems to be a hit or miss thing.

Joe

Joe.

The 'hit or miss thing" is what I've been saying about the mlhg. Sometimes you get a good terminal, and all goes well with the download. Another time, you get a bad terminal, and little or no download. All you can do is keep trying, and hope for the best.

Don H
post #295 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 'hit or miss thing" is what I've been saying about the mlhg. Sometimes you get a good terminal, and all goes well with the download. Another time, you get a bat terminal, and little or no download. All you can do is keep trying, and hope for the best.

I have come to agree with you -- very good insight, I think.

Joe

post #296 of 409 Old 04-09-2012, 02:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

After 10 days of no guide on my SS unit, and not able to get access numbers either, I just completed a download of access numbers and then immediately did a 243 connect and got a full 8 day guide ... Happy for while at least !

Congratulations, CStoe! I like your process also, following up on a successful access number download with an immediate 243/zones connect to a known good number.

Since my last such breakthrough on Mar 23, my Guide has been refreshed each night, though I still can't stop crossing my fingers each morning. Hope your luck holds up as well.

Perhaps the reports of the death of our Showstoppers are premature? :-)
post #297 of 409 Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

With Jon's help, my Showstopper is back "online"

--> we used freesco to resolve production.replaytv.net
--> it was able to connect
--> there was still no guide data
--> John suggested checking the date -- sure enough it was 1999
--> Date would not update via regular connection
--> I pulled the hard drive (C183 looks fine, no bulges/leaks, but I did not remove it from the board to look closer)
--> I installed the "set time" hack (http://www.oocities.org/flipflop7146/#clock)
--> I manually set the time
--> It took three connects to get it all, but the guide has 8 days now

This needs to be added to connection trouble shooting: verify the time/date is correct!

notes on settime:

--> the program is now extract_rtv5
--> It runs from a command prompt in Windows 7
--> settime plus would not install (size was wrong as described in the readme)
--> When I turned it back on, was initially stuck in the "quick set" setup mode -- 777-Zones took me out of it
--> I enabled set time in 777-Zones from setup/Brightness/888-Zones; lets you update time without a reboot
--> When you scroll time zone, it over-writes itself. If you change time zone with no time entered and hit "record", it tells you time is in the wrong format, then if you arrow up or down you can read the time zone.
--> Eastern Time is six arrows to the left of Pacific (Pacific - Mtn no DST - Mtn - Central no DST - Easterm no DST - Eastern)

Joe

post #298 of 409 Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

With Jon's help, my Showstopper is back "online"

--> we used freesco to resolve production.replaytv.net
--> it was able to connect
--> there was still no guide data
--> John suggested checking the date -- sure enough it was 1999
--> Date would not update via regular connection
--> I pulled the hard drive (C183 looks fine, no bulges/leaks, but I did not remove it from the board to look closer)
--> I installed the "set time" hack (http://www.oocities.org/flipflop7146/#clock)
--> I manually set the time
--> It took three connects to get it all, but the guide has 8 days now

This needs to be added to connection trouble shooting: verify the time/date is correct!

notes on settime:

--> the program is now extract_rtv5
--> It runs from a command prompt in Windows 7
--> settime plus would not install (size was wrong as described in the readme)
--> When I turned it back on, was initially stuck in the "quick set" setup mode -- 777-Zones took me out of it
--> I enabled set time in 777-Zones from setup/Brightness/888-Zones; lets you update time without a reboot
--> When you scroll time zone, it over-writes itself. If you change time zone with no time entered and hit "record", it tells you time is in the wrong format, then if you arrow up or down you can read the time zone.
--> Eastern Time is six arrows to the left of Pacific (Pacific - Mtn no DST - Mtn - Central no DST - Easterm no DST - Eastern)

Joe

Joe.
are you using a DVR that can connect to the internet? My model doesn't do that. I don't know how I would accomplish that. I hope I never have to try.

Don H
post #299 of 409 Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joe.
are you using a DVR that can connect to the internet? My model doesn't do that. I don't know how I would accomplish that. I hope I never have to try.

Don,

All ReplayTV's connect to the internet. They just do it in different ways. Older ReplayTV's (2000 & 3000 series) have a modem that uses a phone to connect to a dial-in server which connects over the internet to to a ReplayTV server that gives your ReplayTV its channel guide info. Newer models connect via ethernet cable. But they all use the internet one way or another.

There are addresses internal to the ReplayTV that tell it where to look for the ReplayTV server. Sort of like when you type "www.cnn.com" into your web browser, your computer service has a "DNS lookup" that points the "word address" (URL) you typed to the actual numerical IP address (157.166.255.18), and then lets your browser find the page you are looking for. That's all I meant when I said I was back "online". I'm dialing in and getting guide data again.

The Freesco thing I talked about -- you can set up a PC with a modem on it to act as a dial-in server (or even connect it directly modem-to-modem). This type of dial-in server is called "Free Cisco" or FreeSco. The computer can then do a number of things -- like connect your dial in device to the internet. Some savvier people than me have figured out how to point the ReplayTV to a non-ReplayTV (on-line) channel guide source by using a setup like this.

Jon thinks that one of the (several) problems the dial-in ReplayTV community is facing is that the "word address" (production.replaytv.net) for ReplayTV's guide servers is not attached to correct IP address any more after the changes that were made in February. When I dialed his computer, it set my address to the correct value, and I was finally able to connect. What he couldn't do was fix my clock (and it might have been when I called his server that the clock got set to 1999). I had to fix that with the hack.

Jon,

How badly have I mucked up the explanation? Please correct me!

Thanks,

Joe

post #300 of 409 Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 PM

After many attempts, I have now gotten my Mother's Panasonic SS and my Replay 3000 loaded with 8 days of guide data. I have no magic, but persistent retrying of the steps outlined previously this thread.

1) Force a connect to the 800 number. I used the method described here. Until you get a successful connection to and download from this number, proceeding further does not seem warranted. A successful download is one that once the connection is established, the unit rapidly proceeds through setting the clock, timezone, etc. Getting this was very hit and miss, but does seem to have improved in the last few days.
2) Once you have your local access numbers, find one that is valid. A valid number will be on this list. You should also verify the number by calling it with a regular phone. When the modem answers you should here a continuous tone with 2 'ticks' per second for several seconds, then a second higher pitched tone (with ticks) for a few more seconds. This is a good modem. If you hear a short 2 tone burst, then silence, then the continuous tone, this is a bad number.
3) After a successful connect to the 800 number, immediately force a net connect to the number you have identified as good.

If you have multiple connection failures (maybe 6 ore more,) I suggest a warm boot (hold the power button until the system reboots.) This seemed to help my Mother's unit get the initial 800 connection. However, more than once we got the initial 800 connection successfully, then the second one with the real phone/zip would time out. If anyone has a suggestion for forcing an 800 connection with a valid phone/zip in one shot please post it. The only way I know how to do it is to clear the guide data, which leaves you with a non-functioning unit (no channel information) until you get the connection.

Once the systems were loaded with data, they both picked up one additional day's guide data overnight.

MrPopman - Anybody want to play a game of Pinball?
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page