Replay TV Not Connecting To Server - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 409 Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reden

Thanks to you and Perc Data for the clockset, just as I was going to crack the case on my DIW unit.

I may have stumbled upon something that may be a cause of units that stop connecting. My SS was going along fine again (after a session of the jump through the hoop machinations we have figured out here) but suddenly it stopped updating the guide again. I remembered that one night I was watching a live show and cancelled the nightly connect when the message appeared that my unit was going to connect in a minute or so. When it popped up again a few minutes later (still watching a live show), I cancelled it again. On this night I did get a message on the unit that the nightly connection failed because it was stopped by a user.

Later in the week I discovered that my SS had stopped retrieving guide info altogether and there were no messages. I looked at the days which remained in the guide, and counting back, my unit stopped making nightly updates after the night on which I manually stopped the connections. Perhaps in working on something, the developers made an inadvertent tweak to the code. I've had the developers I worked with accidentally change a process, not the way they intended . The DNNA people were working on connection problems I believe, so is it possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 409 Old 05-12-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You're welcome. Henry deserves the credit..... he did the code changes to support anonymous access... I've just been too lazy to disconnect my test line.

We honestly don't know what the connect problem is... Folks who are able to capture traces, don't use the Earthlink dialup network so don't run into the problem.

As far as code changes go, I'm not sure there's an active development environment, much less staff to do it. The last code change on the showstopper was what... 10 years ago?

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #363 of 409 Old 05-26-2012, 07:13 PM

My Showstoppers are not accurately resetting their clocks on the nightly updates. They're off by a few minutes due to local power outages.

Anyone have any ideas on how to just reset the clocks for PDT? TIA.
post #364 of 409 Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
rallenr - You can install software to allow you to set the Showstopper clock manually. Instructions and a link to download the software are provided here:

http://www.oocities.org/flipflop7146/

Scroll down to "setting the clock manually."

Please note that you need to remove the hard drive from your Showstopper and install it in a PC which supports PATA drives. You also need to be somewhat Linux/UNIX savvy. So, this patch is only for those with computer technician skills or who can turn the job over to a friend with those skills.

Alternatively, go to Menu, Setup, Change Dialing & Input Settings, Change Telephone. Step to Zip Code and change it. Now, go back to the previous screen. Press select to return to the zip code screen and enter your correct zip code. Continue through the steps. Your unit should dial the replaytv servers. If the "Setting the clock" step completes quickly, your unit now has the correct time. If the step lingers for a minute or more, your clock did not get set. Let the connection complete. If you get a network connect error, select "try again."

Now, an update on our Program Guide Update issues:

Normally, each night, your machine dials to the servers and appends one day of listings to the program guide. If you check during the day, your program guide should include a partial day one week from tomorrow. To check, bring up the guide and page through 12 hours at a time with the fast forward button. I find that the guide runs through midnight UCT, so the end time varies with time zone and whether standard or daylight saving time is in effect.

If your machine failed to append a day, in the past, all missing days would be appended the next time the machine did a successful nightly update. However, I find that the guide will fail to update if it needs to append more than one day. If you have two or more machines connected to the same phone line, it is best to unplug the phone line from the machine that did not update. Otherwise, that machine may hog the phone line and prevent the other machine(s) from updating.

With perseverance, the program guide can be restored. I posted a method on page 12 of this thread. I find that all you can do is keep trying. I use the same local number every time. I don't think it helps to use a different number. Furthermore, there does not seem to be one time of day that works better than others.

However, I have found something that may help. First, use the above procedure for setting the clock from "Change Telephone." Keep trying until you get all the way through without a "network connect error." Then, use my method on page 12.

One advantage of my method is that you don't need to erase the program guide first. If you fail, the existing program guide remains intact. Thus, you can keep trying for about a week without missing any scheduled recordings. When I have been able to get a guide for local broadcasters, I have always been able to follow up and overwrite it with the guide for my local cable TV provider.
post #365 of 409 Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM

Liked: 12
Here we go again :-(

After a 6 weeks of nightly Guide updates, it failed to connect or update on the 27th, and every night after. Sadly, I was away and didn't catch it until today, with only a few days left on my Guide. So I'm back on Guide Repair duty. Clock seems ok for now.

Anyone else having this problem these days?
post #366 of 409 Old 06-01-2012, 06:01 PM

Yes, my Showstopper is not updating, again. I had problems last month, and after resetting the clock (and adding the Comcast IR codes) with LaHo it had been updating normally. It quit last week and none of the workarounds are working this time.... My clock IS set to the correct time. Located in south Florida.
dd
post #367 of 409 Old 06-02-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

After a 6 weeks of nightly Guide updates, it failed to connect or update on the 27th, and every night after. Sadly, I was away and didn't catch it until today, with only a few days left on my Guide. So I'm back on Guide Repair duty. Clock seems ok for now.

Anyone else having this problem these days?

Well, I took a look at my bedroom unit last night because of your note -- it had been a week since I last had it on because the rerun season is now on us. I found that the jack had been knocked out of the plug and I had 6 days of "no dialtone". I plugged it back in, and this morning have a full guide. I didn't have time to check the living room unit (it is plugged into the same jack, and so was disconnected too). I work Tues-Sat, so will have more time to look thid evening when I get home.

If you have long distance, try connecting to 410-510-9009 (just enter it for the dialing prefix) and see if it works better for you -- this is working well for me.

Joe

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #368 of 409 Old 06-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post

Well, I took a look at my bedroom unit last night because of your note -- it had been a week since I last had it on because the rerun season is now on us. I found that the jack had been knocked out of the plug and I had 6 days of "no dialtone". I plugged it back in, and this morning have a full guide. ....

If you have long distance, try connecting to 410-510-9009 (just enter it for the dialing prefix) and see if it works better for you -- this is working well for me.

Joe

It was good luck, then, that you found you were unplugged, and that your Guide is back.

I don't have long distance, but my local # is good. I got my Guide back by changing to another zip within my town, canceling when my connection was slow (as it would fail anyway), trying later until I completed a brisk connection, and then immediately forcing a net connect. 5th time this has worked for me. :-)
post #369 of 409 Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Just got back home from a week away. Noticed the guide on my 4000 series hadn't been updating. [Over broadband, not dial-up.]

I did a manual update, and it reboots at the "checking for new channels" stage every time. Ugh.

--
-mS
post #370 of 409 Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 AM

Here we go again, again :-(

After 2+ weeks of nightly Guide updates, it failed to connect or update last week leaving me with only a few days left on my Guide. Got it back by changing to another zip within my town, canceling when my connection was slow (it would fail anyway), trying later until I completed a brisk connection, and then immediately forcing a net connect. 6th time this has worked for me.

Anyone else having problems?

Any theory why my RTV needs to touch base with the mothership after a failure to update?
post #371 of 409 Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I have learned from Jon, et. al., is that this likely has to do with the various URL lookups. When it works, it uses the last-used address for looking up the time, the channel guide, etc. It reuses this "previous good" connection until something causes it to fail -- it could be a reboot which flushed the memory, or it could be that for whatever reason your dial in failed. Then it tries the "name of last resort" -- which no longer points to the right place. Now, every time you dial in, the unit is using this bad "last resort" address to try to connect to the ReplayTV network, and it fails. It seems that when you dial in for new channel numbers, it resets the pointers. Then they are good again until they aren't.

Joe

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #372 of 409 Old 06-18-2012, 04:10 PM

Joe ... That makes a lot of sense, thanks. Now if only there was a way to tell it to use the present good url's as the "last resort" url's.

Maybe our brownout last week was the cause? We had ~ 100-105 V at the outlets, but only very low power gadgets would work.
post #373 of 409 Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM

I need to connect my Showstopper to LaHo to set the clock but when it dials 19722911335 or when I try myself it is ringing but no answer. Help please! Thanks!
post #374 of 409 Old 06-27-2012, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishona View Post

I need to connect my Showstopper to LaHo to set the clock but when it dials 19722911335 or when I try myself it is ringing but no answer. Help please! Thanks!

Change you area code and tel prefix. This will make the showstopper call replays 800 number to get you a list of alternate phone numbers. you can then go in and change the number, and you should be good to get new guide data and set that clock.

Don H
post #375 of 409 Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 PM

Hi Don, I've done that and I see it says 'setting the clock' when it connects, but no change, I'm stuck at 11/12/1999.
I'm hoping what this member did would work for me. I even added long distance to my home phone so I could call Dallas..
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgitd View Post

OK, I tried everything I could find on this board short of cracking the case of my SS2k, but could never get an update - this seemed to be due to the inability to set the clock. I tried the PercData/Laho dialup to Dallas last night - worked like a charm. Set the time on the first pass and then I got programming data. Just like old times.
post #376 of 409 Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Hi Don, I've done that and I see it says 'setting the clock' when it connects, but no change, I'm stuck at 11/12/1999.
I'm hoping what this member did would work for me. I even added long distance to my home phone so I could call Dallas..

Well! I hate to say it, but i'm running out of ideas. I do have a couple of more b4 i though in the towel. Do a 243 zone again, and toggle the clock. This will display the clock untill you toggle it again. Delete the program guide again and do a net connect again. You should be able to see the clock reset (hopefully). And then it should download the guide. Before you do this, power cycle the DVR.

And, may the FORCE be with you!

Don H
post #377 of 409 Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm stuck at 11/12/1999.
I'm hoping what this member did would work ...

We have Replays. We are all stuck at 11/12/1999.
post #378 of 409 Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 PM

Here we go again, again, & again:-(

After 2 weeks of nightly Guide updates, it failed to connect or update last week leaving me with only a few days left on my Guide. Got it back by changing to another zip within my town, canceling when my connection was slow (as it would fail anyway), trying later until I completed a brisk connection, and then immediately forcing a 243/zones net connect. Took a few days of intermittent attempts to get the brisk connection (over in several minutes). 7th time this has worked for me; the 243/zones connect ONLY works after I get a brisk mothership connection, after changing my setup.
post #379 of 409 Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post

Well! I hate to say it, but i'm running out of ideas. I do have a couple of more b4 i though in the towel. Do a 243 zone again, and toggle the clock. This will display the clock untill you toggle it again. Delete the program guide again and do a net connect again. You should be able to see the clock reset (hopefully). And then it should download the guide. Before you do this, power cycle the DVR.
And, may the FORCE be with you!
Don H
The FORCE was with me tonight!!

I did something similar to these steps that I found on PlanetReplay (Thanks Rob):
1) Change your zip code to something else, proceed forward.
2) Stop to connection, back up and change it back to the correct zip code.
3) Proceed and let the unit connect.
4) First time you should expect to get a "network connection" errror. <=== this didn't happen
5) Try again and this time it should work.
6) Select your local phone number and proceed. <===== Time updated after this!
7) Once that is done, do a 243-Zones and force a network connection <===== Guide updated

smile.gif
Becky
post #380 of 409 Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My bad... the Perc dialup VM wasn't running for some reason... if anyone gets a ring/no answer let me know. I normally check the logs daily (there is one regular dial-up user) but I didn't do that the past few days. (I've been sick, so not even checking the forums as regularly as normal)

BTW, The PERC dialup is still officially unsupported and could go away when I get tired of the $35/mo for it. It doesn't make financial sense but with the "Goodwill" project, I'm keeping it running for now.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #381 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 01:55 PM

My regular dial up connection failed last nite. (The first time in a month). I tried a 243 zone, but could tell it wasn't going to complete because it was running slow. I watch the overnight pgm that came in for about 90 min. I tried my dial up again, and it completed in about 5 min.

Don H
post #382 of 409 Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:

My regular dial up connection failed last nite. (The first time in a month). I tried a 243 zone, but could tell it wasn't going to complete because it was running slow. I watch the overnight pgm that came in for about 90 min. I tried my dial up again, and it completed in about 5 min.

Don H

It seems to depend on why it failed; what was the message? Usually after the server won't answer, it will the next time and makes the connection, which happens to me regularly. The recent connection problems come after service has been 'out' for several days (or at least that's when I discover them).
post #383 of 409 Old 07-02-2012, 01:31 PM

It just said it failed to connect.

Don H
post #384 of 409 Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:

It just said it failed to connect.

Don H
• your Hard Disk recorder was recording a show.
• the server did not answer the phone (or some such), etc.

You're probably referring to the first of these? I get this whenever my SS needs it's settings refreshed by contacting the mother-ship.
post #385 of 409 Old 07-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

• your Hard Disk recorder was recording a show.
• the server did not answer the phone (or some such), etc.

You're probably referring to the first of these? I get this whenever my SS needs it's settings refreshed by contacting the mother-ship.

Yes. The first one is what it said. The same thing happened again, today. I did a 243 zone net connect. And the run seemed really slow. I tried it later, after 10 am, and though is was slow, it did complete successfully.

Don H
post #386 of 409 Old 07-12-2012, 10:36 AM

Here we go again; lost my connection.

To restore it, I change the zip slightly, wait for a brisk mother-ship connection, then immediately force a net connect. Nth time this has worked for me, though it took several days to get the brisk connection this time.

One thing bothers me. If the mother-ship connection is slow it will fail eventually, but selecting Cancel is very slow as well, almost as long. Anyone know why, or how to speed it up (retrying soon after a failure often gets you another modem in the bank, with a better chance of success)?

I get no response from the remote, even tried unplugging the phone line to no effect.
post #387 of 409 Old 07-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Here we go again; lost my connection.
To restore it, I change the zip slightly, wait for a brisk mother-ship connection, then immediately force a net connect. Nth time this has worked for me, though it took several days to get the brisk connection this time.
One thing bothers me. If the mother-ship connection is slow it will fail eventually, but selecting Cancel is very slow as well, almost as long. Anyone know why, or how to speed it up (retrying soon after a failure often gets you another modem in the bank, with a better chance of success)?
I get no response from the remote, even tried unplugging the phone line to no effect.

I haven't had any trouble with getting my machine to drop the connection, if I think it's slow. I wonder if your HD may be getting flaky. I would try a power cycle reboot for sure, and see if that helps.

Don H.
post #388 of 409 Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Don ... Thanks, I'll give the power cycle/reboot a shot.
post #389 of 409 Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 AM

Here we go again; lost my connection, restored it.

To restore, change the zip slightly, wait for a brisk mother-ship connection, then immediately force a net connect. Nth time this has worked for me, though it takes some patience.

Is it just me, or do others have to do this every week or so?
post #390 of 409 Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 PM

I have 2 replay tv's. One I was given (Model 5040 I think), gets it update via the internet. In the 2 months or so that I've had, it has only missed its' update once.
The other get its' update via dial up connection. It misses about once a month or maybe a little more often. I do a 243 zone and force a connection. Usually, that works. Sometimes i have to try it twice.

Don H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page