Replay TV Not Connecting To Server - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 409 Old 02-06-2012, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the same problem, zip code 94704, area code 510 (SF Bay area).

Last night I tried changing to a different area code but the Replay couldn't reach the service to get the list of numbers.

This morning, though, I changed the area code & exchange (not zip code, since I still need my local lineup) to 410-358-xxxx, and I was able to get a list of numbers for Maryland. I picked the first one, for Bel Air, and it's downloading the channel guide as I type.

Thanks for the tips on this thread, sharing information really helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 409 Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfendrick View Post

I had to do this when I tried out the LaHo dial-up server last summer. (I wonder if they'll be back up and running again...)

Laho has never been down.... except for the experimental dial-up line which went down a couple of weeks ago, but I was the only one using it anyway.

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #33 of 409 Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM

Thought I had it for a minute; 40 of them, in fact. I had tried to time the connect process, but all tries failed or terminated at random times. Then I tried DrJoe's suggestion of lowering the modem baud rate from "Default" (56k?) to 28.8k. It seemed to be working properly (if slowly) going through all the steps, including getting the Guide and phone numbers, but came to 'additional information' and terminated. I see another report of that failure mode earlier in this thread. But that's by far the best I've been able to do, so maybe I'm getting warmer, though I still have an empty guide plus (thankfully) the correct date, time, & channels. The only change is that I used to see last Thursday's Guide if I skipped around, but now that's gone. Doing Manual recordings for now, and unplugging the phone line.
post #34 of 409 Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrudderham View Post

I've now tried all the primary and alternate numbers in my list here in San Diego without being able to download channel guide info. Does anyone in California have a number that still works? If so, how can I change to use a number in a different area - so far I haven't been able to get different numbers by changing my phone number in Setup.

I have had problems dialing in on a couple of my showstoppers this last week. I have had to do a forced net connect on them and just waited and after about ten minutes they went ahead and started downloading the information. At first I did not think they were going to work but they finally did. I did have a few times where the modem hung up on me but I did a 243 net connect again and kept trying till I got through. I said earlier it is a bit flakey, but eventually I get in touch with the mothership! one box took about 45 minutes to get its info. I am checking every day, and when the guide is not eight days ahead or there is a message that it did not connect I do the 243 net connect. Sometimes I get a message that there is no dial tone and I think as someone said earlier that is when another showstopper in my house is using the phone. Also I am using a magic Jack Plus for all four of my showstoppers and could not be happier! P.S. Also forgot to mention I did a soft reboot between tries.
post #35 of 409 Old 02-06-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI.. I spoke to my contact at Replay (not tech support) and the dialup problem is caused by a protocol change in the dialup network authentication mechanism (specifically periodic re-authentication).

It should be fixed soon.

Robert

---
post #36 of 409 Old 02-06-2012, 02:07 PM

I have 3 Showstoppers (living room, family room and BR) and 2 have been unable to update exhibiting the same issues discussed in this forum. What's weird is the 3rd one has been updating daily successfully. Setup is identical in all 3. I've tried changing the numbers and baud rate in the other two but no dice. If Replay stops providing updates, does anyone know how to set the clock manually so I can use them as a VCR?
post #37 of 409 Old 02-06-2012, 02:46 PM

I also have 3 Showstoppers, only one of which has downloaded to Sun. 2/12. I'm in San
Diego but have a different primary 619# than the one listed by CAJON. I'm on Time-Warner cable and all the phone numbers listed do not correspond to the # he has. I assume he might have Cox cable service, which could explain the different #.
post #38 of 409 Old 02-06-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2012 View Post

I also have 3 Showstoppers, only one of which has downloaded to Sun. 2/12. I'm in San
Diego but have a different primary 619# than the one listed by CAJON. I'm on Time-Warner cable and all the phone numbers listed do not correspond to the # he has. I assume he might have Cox cable service, which could explain the different #.

Mike2012, Yes I am on Cox cable and also have Direct TV in my lineup. I did not know that made a difference. I hooked up a fifth showstopper as a test after my last post and it at first got a "no answer" message then did not complete the next time, but the third time it worked fine. I am not sure how long it took but it did eventually get all the info up to next Tues. This Showstopper is a spare that I have in case one of the other ones go belly up!
post #39 of 409 Old 02-06-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

FYI.. I spoke to my contact at Replay (not tech support) and the dialup problem is caused by a protocol change in the dialup network authentication mechanism (specifically periodic re-authentication).

It should be fixed soon.

Robert

Thanks Robert! How long do you think this will take? We have one "fixed" (Fri) showstopper & it updated ok Sun night. It even looks different now. But I use same "good" phone number on our other boxes & get same old bad results. Getting a "working number" doesn't work for us.
post #40 of 409 Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 AM

It seems that with the correct channels, time, & date but no program Guide that you can schedule single recordings, but cannot schedule repeat recordings: right?
post #41 of 409 Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Well the same problem down here in

Dallas Texas will not connect....just freezes on connection established
post #42 of 409 Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmem View Post

Well the same problem down here in

Dallas Texas will not connect....just freezes on connection established

Sportsmem, Just let it stay there on connection established. It might take it 10-15 minutes to move beyond that. My showstoppers were hanging there but eventually they downloaded the data. If they disconnect I would force another net connect and eventually they worked.
post #43 of 409 Old 02-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Just got off the phone with customer service
at Replay and they are addressing the issue now and
some of the numbers are working again.
She suggested I try more numbers in the selection for my area ( I tried 20 on sunday) that some are now working again.m Guess I'll try that. They are totally aware of the issue and are on it so cross your fingers.

Going to try the 6-8 primary numbers now.

edit** still nothing tried them all
post #44 of 409 Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Well, the Showstopper in my family room successfully logged in this morning after I forced it to log in so now I have 2 out of 3 working. The 3rd one still can't download the guide & clock. Hopefully this issue is corrected soon.
post #45 of 409 Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well we got one more to work early this day by using the area code from the WI member. (Thanks!) But when I tried all day to get a third one to work it failed. Long ago we switched to a universal remote to eliminate paying $40 when the SS one(s) failed. Until now we never really missed the "force" function. Our version of the "force" is to make a change to our setup, call in & "reset" to nothing, then re-setup the cable box, call in & get our programming. Does anyone have another less cumbersome way to accomplish this using a universal remote?
post #46 of 409 Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekgolf View Post

Well, the Showstopper in my family room successfully logged in this morning after I forced it to log in so now I have 2 out of 3 working. The 3rd one still can't download the guide & clock. Hopefully this issue is corrected soon.

are you using local numbers that you used to use or numbers out of area ?
post #47 of 409 Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

My primary Maine number still isn't working. I set one of my Replay's to 410-358, and had the same luck with the first number (Bel Air?) as the Maine numbers. I tried the second and it connected and downloaded 25% of the guide -- but combined data and I had guide data good through Thursday. I connected a second time, and it downloaded 50% and was good through Monday. Tried one more time and got the whole enchilada.

I put the number, 410-972-0209 in as a "prefix" on the other Replay (with the Maine number) and got 20% on the first try. It just crapped out on the second try at 60% (which gets me to Next Tuesday). It is running a third time now.

It seems like it doesn't connect on the first try -- force connect, crap out, force connect, begin download.... and then go really slow when downloading data and crap out again before completing -- but the next time it connects it skips quickly to where it left off last time.

good luck everyone,

Joe

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #48 of 409 Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittentail View Post

Thanks Robert! How long do you think this will take? We have one "fixed" (Fri) showstopper & it updated ok Sun night. It even looks different now. But I use same "good" phone number on our other boxes & get same old bad results. Getting a "working number" doesn't work for us.

Based on our discussion, I hope to see improvement by COB Wednesday. That's my gut feeling based on my understanding of the problem, certainly not a guarantee from Replay (who's not even at fault, it's the ISP who made a change)

Robert

---
post #49 of 409 Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 PM

I tried all the local (HI) numbers. But it looks like the problem may be resolving itself as two of the three logged in.
post #50 of 409 Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM

Found this on Replay's site to try and repair my blank channel guide. Have no problem connecting and completing the download but guide remains empty. Tried the first part 234+zones and reboot twice and guide data is back after successful download.

Quote:

The ReplayTV Connects successfully, completes the download, but the Channel Guide is still blank.

Answer:
This can happen if the ReplayTV is having trouble updating the channel guide files on the hard drive.
Clear the Channel Guide Twice
Press 243 + Zones on the remote.
Choose Option #2 - Clear Channel Guide.
The ReplayTV will restart. Repeat the process once.
Force a connection.. If it works, you can stop here.
Download a different Channel Lineup.
Press "Menu" on the remote and choose "SETUP".
Select "Network and Input Settings".
Use the UP and Down arrows to highlight "Change IN1", "Change IN2", or "Change ANT/CATV."
Write down your current settings.
Set all inputs to Nothing.
Set "ANT/CATV" to Antenna.
Choose "Keep all settings."
Check the Channel Guide when it's finished.
Now, go back into setup, and configure the inputs for you original setup.

post #51 of 409 Old 02-08-2012, 12:40 AM

my guide was empty today, and I couldn't get a net connect to work! panic again, they finally turned off the lights!

Glad to hear they know of, and are fixing the issue. I'll patiently wait a few days to see if it resolves.
post #52 of 409 Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 AM

I'm in the Los Angelese area, and both of my Showstoppers ran out of guide on different days. I managed to get one up and running with a Lakewood number yesterday, but the second one refuses, even with the same settings. Hopefully it'll be better soon.
post #53 of 409 Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 AM

Here in San Diego the downloads are working normally on all my Showstoppers, finally!
post #54 of 409 Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajon View Post

I have had problems dialing in on a couple of my showstoppers this last week. I have had to do a forced net connect on them and just waited and after about ten minutes they went ahead and started downloading the information. At first I did not think they were going to work but they finally did. I did have a few times where the modem hung up on me but I did a 243 net connect again and kept trying till I got through. I am using the primary San Diego number. It is 619-849-6709. At times as I said earlier it is a bit flakey, but eventually I get in touch with the mothership! one box took about 45 minutes to get its info. I am checking every day, and when the guide is not eight days ahead or there is a message that it did not connect I do the 243 net connect. Sometimes I get a message that there is no dial tone and I think as someone said earlier that is when another showstopper in my house is using the phone. Also I am using a magic Jack Plus for all four of my showstoppers and could not be happier! P.S. Also forgot to mention I did a soft reboot between tries.

I'm having some luck with 949.255.1159 (Irvine in Orange County). But it's still sporadic. Some of my four machines will connect on one day, but not the next, it seems just hit or miss for now. Some forced connections will work, but when I replaced a hard drive yesterday, it got a BUSY when dialing out for the numbers for my area code. I tried about a half dozen times btwn late aft and into the evening.
post #55 of 409 Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 AM

I have three Showstoppers/Replaytvs hooked up. One of them is still receiving the downloads nightly and working just fine - calling the same local number as the other two. I have tried manual connect - goes through long "downloading" and then fails to receive from Replay or line is busy, try again, etc., etc. I called Panasonic and they told me to do a factory reset, which I did last night on one of the Showstoppes - DO NOT DO THIS. It will then not call in at all and you cannot reset. I called Replaytv and they said it was a hardware problem - the same problem with two of them at the very same time???? Said not to do a factory reset on the other one. He said I would need to replace the hard drives in both boxes. I have one that was struck by lightening taking out the modem - I will try putting that hard drive in one and see what happens.

He also said they wouldn't determine until after February 2012 if they were going to continue the guide service or not - couldn't not guarantee it, so don't spend a lot of money on new drives, etc. I just can't understand one is working fine and the other two are not. I do have one in another room that isn't hooked up - will try that and see what happens.

Maybe if enough of us call??????? It worked before.

Replay TV 254-299-2705
post #56 of 409 Old 02-08-2012, 09:19 PM

I followed the procedures outline by Seti1 on my 3rd showstopper after failing (again) to get it to 'call home' and VOILA!! IT WORKED! Thanks for the info. I did find that my showstoppers can't get all the channels they used to get (2 or 3). Hopefully it resolves by itself in the near future and that Replay continues the service. If they do decide to stop, hopefully somebody comes up with a way to hack in to set the clock & channels so the machines can be used as a VCR.
post #57 of 409 Old 02-09-2012, 03:35 AM

Here in SE Michigan (Detroit area). I have two Showstoppers set to dial into into the ISP nightly on two different phone lines. I 243 force net connection, and watch the screen. Although slow, it goes through the entire protocol and completes the cycle. In the end, the clock and date are still incorrect, and the channel guide unpopulated.

Both units failed exactly at the same time yesterday, so clearly NOT an issue on my end. Units perform as expected without being given data.

Problem rests solely with data download source, but unsure how far back up the line to the main server. The local dial-up is not the problem, but rather the connection back to the main server maintained by the Replay service.

An earlier post remarked that Replay had changed a syncronization protocol. This appears to have caused a major failure, and an immediate roll-back until the bugs in the new protocol can be resolved until going live again.

BOTTOM LINE: Don't waste time hopping around different areas of the country. All the access points (Dial-in ISPs) eventually connect back to the same server, and that is where the problem seems to be.
post #58 of 409 Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 AM

Both of mine are working again.

I'm in the Seattle area and my Replays first quit updating in late January so maybe they (whoever 'they' are) started screwing things up in the Northwest before moving to the rest of the country? (I was really puzzled because no one in any forums seemed to be experiencing a problem...)

But, and maybe this is encouraging for everyone else, both of my units have been updating fine for 3 or 4 nights now so it looks like its fixed up here. So maybe they screwed Seattle up first and have corrected us first... and hopefully that's an indication that the areas of the country who lost service a bit later than Seattle will also get corrected a bit later than Seattle (which would theoretically be in a few days or week?). So maybe a fix is on the way for the rest of the country.

One note: I've been doing multiple forced 'net connect's in the mornings for 2 or 3 days in a row and not one 'net connect' has worked (gets to 'combining data' and crashes), but as soon as I let it do its auto-connect overnight it works just fine. So those of you who are only doing 'net connects' might want to try to let it connect on its own overnight and see if that works, (and maybe disconnect all but one unit from the phone lines overnight while testing). <:-)

Good luck out there to everyone! Hopefully Replays will run forever!
post #59 of 409 Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seti1 View Post

Found this on Replay's site to try and repair my blank channel guide. Have no problem connecting and completing the download but guide remains empty. Tried the first part 234+zones and reboot twice and guide data is back after successful download.

I'd like to try this, but am hesitant since I still have the clock setting & channel numbers (but no Guide data), so I can do single recordings like a VCR; I'd hate to lose that. Does clearing the Channel Guide erase the clock setting and channel numbers?
post #60 of 409 Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 AM

Just did another force connect this morning and it worked! Yeah, Replay is still alive for another day.

Don't mess with a bunch of 'fixes' here, just wait. It's on their end.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page