AVS Forum banner

Replay TV Not Connecting To Server

42K views 408 replies 61 participants last post by  kgo81 
#1 ·
We have lost the programming several Replay TV boxes in our home. The past week we have experienced errors attempting to call in. Either no dial tone or will not connect. When I try to manually get the programming it fails. Can you help? Thanks!

See less See more
#28 ·
Guide data expired approx. 4:30 p.m. on 2/3. Interestingly enough, I also showed a "power loss" at about 7:30 a.m. that morning. Tried manually connecting to all Omaha, Nebraska numbers on Saturday without success - never got pas the "connecting..." message when dialing up. Said "the modem hung up" as the reason for the failure. Date and time are still correct, and the channel guide still has the correct channels. This was just used as a secondary DVR in a bedroom to record a few kids' shows, so I was able to set manual records for the time being.

It's probably over for dial-up, I can accept that. I already migrated my main setup to HDTV, Windows Media Center, and CableCard. As long as I can manually record and change the clock as need be, I'll keep using this Showstopper as a DVR.

#29 ·
I've now tried all the primary and alternate numbers in my list here in San Diego without being able to download channel guide info. Does anyone in California have a number that still works? If so, how can I change to use a number in a different area - so far I haven't been able to get different numbers by changing my phone number in Setup.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrudderham /forum/post/21604710

I've now tried all the primary and alternate numbers in my list here in San Diego without being able to download channel guide info. Does anyone in California have a number that still works? If so, how can I change to use a number in a different area - so far I haven't been able to get different numbers by changing my phone number in Setup.

If you find a number that works, you can enter that number in the dialing prefix box on a Showstopper - it will hold around 20-25 characters, IIRC. The phone system will ignore the balance of the numbers dialed. I had to do this when I tried out the LaHo dial-up server last summer. (I wonder if they'll be back up and running again...)

#31 ·
I had the same problem, zip code 94704, area code 510 (SF Bay area).

Last night I tried changing to a different area code but the Replay couldn't reach the service to get the list of numbers.

This morning, though, I changed the area code & exchange (not zip code, since I still need my local lineup) to 410-358-xxxx, and I was able to get a list of numbers for Maryland. I picked the first one, for Bel Air, and it's downloading the channel guide as I type.

Thanks for the tips on this thread, sharing information really helped.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfendrick /forum/post/21604830

I had to do this when I tried out the LaHo dial-up server last summer. (I wonder if they'll be back up and running again...)

Laho has never been down.... except for the experimental dial-up line which went down a couple of weeks ago, but I was the only one using it anyway.

#33 ·
Thought I had it for a minute; 40 of them, in fact. I had tried to time the connect process, but all tries failed or terminated at random times. Then I tried DrJoe's suggestion of lowering the modem baud rate from "Default" (56k?) to 28.8k. It seemed to be working properly (if slowly) going through all the steps, including getting the Guide and phone numbers, but came to 'additional information' and terminated. I see another report of that failure mode earlier in this thread. But that's by far the best I've been able to do, so maybe I'm getting warmer, though I still have an empty guide plus (thankfully) the correct date, time, & channels. The only change is that I used to see last Thursday's Guide if I skipped around, but now that's gone. Doing Manual recordings for now, and unplugging the phone line.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrudderham /forum/post/21604710

I have had problems dialing in on a couple of my showstoppers this last week. I have had to do a forced net connect on them and just waited and after about ten minutes they went ahead and started downloading the information. At first I did not think they were going to work but they finally did. I did have a few times where the modem hung up on me but I did a 243 net connect again and kept trying till I got through. I said earlier it is a bit flakey, but eventually I get in touch with the mothership! one box took about 45 minutes to get its info. I am checking every day, and when the guide is not eight days ahead or there is a message that it did not connect I do the 243 net connect. Sometimes I get a message that there is no dial tone and I think as someone said earlier that is when another showstopper in my house is using the phone. Also I am using a magic Jack Plus for all four of my showstoppers and could not be happier! P.S. Also forgot to mention I did a soft reboot between tries.

#35 ·
FYI.. I spoke to my contact at Replay (not tech support) and the dialup problem is caused by a protocol change in the dialup network authentication mechanism (specifically periodic re-authentication).

It should be fixed soon.

Robert

#36 ·
I have 3 Showstoppers (living room, family room and BR) and 2 have been unable to update exhibiting the same issues discussed in this forum. What's weird is the 3rd one has been updating daily successfully. Setup is identical in all 3. I've tried changing the numbers and baud rate in the other two but no dice. If Replay stops providing updates, does anyone know how to set the clock manually so I can use them as a VCR?

#37 ·
I also have 3 Showstoppers, only one of which has downloaded to Sun. 2/12. I'm in San

Diego but have a different primary 619# than the one listed by CAJON. I'm on Time-Warner cable and all the phone numbers listed do not correspond to the # he has. I assume he might have Cox cable service, which could explain the different #.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2012 /forum/post/21606591

I also have 3 Showstoppers, only one of which has downloaded to Sun. 2/12. I'm in San

Diego but have a different primary 619# than the one listed by CAJON. I'm on Time-Warner cable and all the phone numbers listed do not correspond to the # he has. I assume he might have Cox cable service, which could explain the different #.

Mike2012, Yes I am on Cox cable and also have Direct TV in my lineup. I did not know that made a difference. I hooked up a fifth showstopper as a test after my last post and it at first got a "no answer" message then did not complete the next time, but the third time it worked fine. I am not sure how long it took but it did eventually get all the info up to next Tues. This Showstopper is a spare that I have in case one of the other ones go belly up!

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden /forum/post/21606104

FYI.. I spoke to my contact at Replay (not tech support) and the dialup problem is caused by a protocol change in the dialup network authentication mechanism (specifically periodic re-authentication).

It should be fixed soon.

Robert

Thanks Robert! How long do you think this will take? We have one "fixed" (Fri) showstopper & it updated ok Sun night. It even looks different now. But I use same "good" phone number on our other boxes & get same old bad results. Getting a "working number" doesn't work for us.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmem /forum/post/21610200

Well the same problem down here in

Dallas Texas will not connect....just freezes on connection established

Sportsmem, Just let it stay there on connection established. It might take it 10-15 minutes to move beyond that. My showstoppers were hanging there but eventually they downloaded the data. If they disconnect I would force another net connect and eventually they worked.

#43 ·
Just got off the phone with customer service

at Replay and they are addressing the issue now and

some of the numbers are working again.

She suggested I try more numbers in the selection for my area ( I tried 20 on sunday) that some are now working again.m Guess I'll try that. They are totally aware of the issue and are on it so cross your fingers.

Going to try the 6-8 primary numbers now.

edit** still nothing tried them all

#45 ·
Well we got one more to work early this day by using the area code from the WI member. (Thanks!) But when I tried all day to get a third one to work it failed. Long ago we switched to a universal remote to eliminate paying $40 when the SS one(s) failed. Until now we never really missed the "force" function. Our version of the "force" is to make a change to our setup, call in & "reset" to nothing, then re-setup the cable box, call in & get our programming. Does anyone have another less cumbersome way to accomplish this using a universal remote?

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekgolf /forum/post/21612886

Well, the Showstopper in my family room successfully logged in this morning after I forced it to log in so now I have 2 out of 3 working. The 3rd one still can't download the guide & clock. Hopefully this issue is corrected soon.

are you using local numbers that you used to use or numbers out of area ?

#47 ·
My primary Maine number still isn't working. I set one of my Replay's to 410-358, and had the same luck with the first number (Bel Air?) as the Maine numbers. I tried the second and it connected and downloaded 25% of the guide -- but combined data and I had guide data good through Thursday. I connected a second time, and it downloaded 50% and was good through Monday. Tried one more time and got the whole enchilada.

I put the number, 410-972-0209 in as a "prefix" on the other Replay (with the Maine number) and got 20% on the first try. It just crapped out on the second try at 60% (which gets me to Next Tuesday). It is running a third time now.

It seems like it doesn't connect on the first try -- force connect, crap out, force connect, begin download.... and then go really slow when downloading data and crap out again before completing -- but the next time it connects it skips quickly to where it left off last time.

good luck everyone,

Joe

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittentail /forum/post/21607240

Thanks Robert! How long do you think this will take? We have one "fixed" (Fri) showstopper & it updated ok Sun night. It even looks different now. But I use same "good" phone number on our other boxes & get same old bad results. Getting a "working number" doesn't work for us.

Based on our discussion, I hope to see improvement by COB Wednesday. That's my gut feeling based on my understanding of the problem, certainly not a guarantee from Replay (who's not even at fault, it's the ISP who made a change)

Robert

#50 ·
Found this on Replay's site to try and repair my blank channel guide. Have no problem connecting and completing the download but guide remains empty. Tried the first part 234+zones and reboot twice and guide data is back after successful download.

Quote:
The ReplayTV Connects successfully, completes the download, but the Channel Guide is still blank.

Answer:

This can happen if the ReplayTV is having trouble updating the channel guide files on the hard drive.

Clear the Channel Guide Twice

Press 243 + Zones on the remote.

Choose Option #2 - Clear Channel Guide.

The ReplayTV will restart. Repeat the process once.

Force a connection.. If it works, you can stop here.

Download a different Channel Lineup.

Press "Menu" on the remote and choose "SETUP".

Select "Network and Input Settings".

Use the UP and Down arrows to highlight "Change IN1", "Change IN2", or "Change ANT/CATV."

Write down your current settings.

Set all inputs to Nothing.

Set "ANT/CATV" to Antenna.

Choose "Keep all settings."

Check the Channel Guide when it's finished.

Now, go back into setup, and configure the inputs for you original setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.