Replay TV Not Connecting To Server - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 409 Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still down... anyone heard anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 409 Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett3 View Post

I'm still down... anyone heard anything?

So what does 'down' mean, exactly? Do you have a clock? Channels? Guide missing? All three?
post #63 of 409 Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM

I haven't been able to download listings in a week. I called ReplayTV and they told me some licenses have expired and if the access number isn't working now, it never will be; they won't be renewing these licenses.

I'm not sure what this means.
post #64 of 409 Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgriffith View Post

I haven't been able to download listings in a week. I called ReplayTV and they told me some licenses have expired and if the access number isn't working now, it never will be; they won't be renewing these licenses.

I'm not sure what this means.

ReplayTV never operated its own dial-up network. They leased (licensed) access from other dial-up Internet Service Providers.

If what you say is true, in efforts to reduce costs, they have decided NOT to continue paying for all those access numbers.

Some numbers are working. I suggest you configure your Replay to use a different one by telling it you live somewhere else (select a new area code and prefix - NOT zip code for channel lineups.)

I doubt there is anyone left at DNNA who will know how to send a current list of numbers out to units....

Cheers!
-Doug
post #65 of 409 Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

Some numbers are working. I suggest you configure your Replay to use a different one by telling it you live somewhere else (select a new area code and prefix - NOT zip code for channel lineups.)

If there is anyone out there who is having success on a consistent basis, would you please share your dial in number?
post #66 of 409 Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 AM

Doug ( 'dstoffa' ) probably has the best assessment of the problem, and solution.

I contacted ReplayTV yesterday, and while they did not specifically say when (if) all the ISPs dial-in services will be restored, they did hint to the problem by offering the same solution as "dstoffa" above. The service representative said that for the near future, I would be better off using ISPs in a "major city." That would indicate to me that (yes) they are probably curtailing the number of local access points, and pushing the remaining Replay guide users on the periphery to large regional centers.

That said: Here is the solution posted again...........

Simply go to setup, change the "telephone" settings with a new area code and prefix. Be sure to LEAVE YOUR ZIP UNCHANGED !! The unit will dial a standard 800 number back to the main server to get the new "list" of access number based on the area code you entered (it WON'T be dailing your local ISP number).

Assuming your unit worked correctly before the whole ISP fiasco, you will see the download of the basic operational functions (i.e. "setting clock" etc) occurring on the screen.

After the "disconnecting" appears on the screen, you can either force a 243-zones "Net Connect" or just wait for the nightly download. Either way, in the end all you'll be doing is paying a small lond distance fee (if any) to use an access point in a distant city, rather than your own local ISP.

All should be good again................
post #67 of 409 Old 02-11-2012, 10:48 AM

Another success story.

I've had a 'working' number all along, but my RTV either would not connect or would not complete the download, since late Jan. I had channels, a clock, and a blank Guide, so I've been doing manual records.

I put in another phone number for my general area, and the RTV connected to the mother ship, but failed to complete the download, so I changed back to my original number. This time it completed the download of phone numbers (all the same as before, BTW) and clock setting, and then walked me through the complete setup routine. (Make a note of all your settings, inputs, IR code, etc before you start this). Then the forced Net Connect completed successfully (using the same number that has failed for 2+ weeks), and the Guide is back!

My take is that a working number is not enough, and that one has to connect with RTV central and go through setup to right the ship. So if you have succeeded with a long distance number, it may be partly the process that did it, and it might work to go back to your local number, if it has been connecting.

Write back if you have success.
post #68 of 409 Old 02-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I lost the guide and connections for them a couple weeks back but was able to restore them both after switching zip codes and waiting over 2 hrs for a total replacement. But my question now is about DNNA rolling back on the available number and possiby the number of days of guide downloaded. My SS is getting just over 7 days and two 55xxs 12 days (through WiRNS). Didn't SS used to get about 11 days of guide listings? it occurs to me there may be less phone numbers and guide data, too.

Arvy
post #69 of 409 Old 02-12-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post

My SS is getting just over 7 days and two 55xxs 12 days (through WiRNS). Didn't SS used to get about 11 days of guide listings? it occurs to me there may be less phone numbers and guide data, too.

My SS has been getting just over 7 days of Guide data all along (many years), my phone numbers were unchanged, and the Guide data seems exactly the same. Even the junk channels I had deselected were still crossed out, possibly because I never cleared my Channel Guide.
post #70 of 409 Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Another success story.

My take is that a working number is not enough, and that one has to connect with RTV central and go through setup to right the ship. So if you have succeeded with a long distance number, it may be partly the process that did it, and it might work to go back to your local number, if it has been connecting.

Update: still ok - had my first successful nightly connect in 2+ weeks, and the Guide info is good for one more day.

My take is twofold;

a) If your local number doesn't connect, you need to find one that does by putting in another home phone number still within your local calling area, if possible.

b) If your local number connects but won't get the Guide data, change your home phone to another area code, let it work on that, and then change back to your original home phone and local access number. That should work; did for me.
post #71 of 409 Old 02-12-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post

I lost the guide and connections for them a couple weeks back but was able to restore them both after switching zip codes ....

Oops, missed that bit. People have said the zip code gets you the data for your area, so you don't want to switch that. Maybe you meant you switched the area code?
post #72 of 409 Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 AM

Last night I kept trying to connect and it became frozen on connection established.....well I left the room and 10 minutes later I checked it and it had a welcome screen on it.....like the one I got 12 years ago when I first purchased it.
Now it can not be used for manual recording or anything else....I have attempted to connect for the phone numbers but no luck it never gets past connection established. Any suggestions
post #73 of 409 Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmem View Post

I have attempted to connect for the phone numbers but no luck it never gets past connection established. Any suggestions

Nothing special about a soft reboot. Mine does it occasionally, or I do it when my SS hangs (press power button on the SS for ~ 10 sec).

Hard to believe there are no working numbers in Dallas. Try option a) or b), just above.
post #74 of 409 Old 02-12-2012, 01:15 PM

I have done A < B but neither finishes. I get connected then a network link down message It will not download a list of local numbers
post #75 of 409 Old 02-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Liked: 11
My two PV-HS2000 have been down for two weeks & I've finally got them back up & running.
Here's how I finally did it, hopefully it will work for you.
1. From the main menu select setup
2. Select Change Dialing & Input Settings scroll through your settings, (Change Telephone, Change Line 1, Change Line 2, & Change ANT/CATV) write down your system setting that previously worked.
3. Select Change ANT/CATV
4. Within the ANT/CATV configuration select Antenna.
5. I changed my area code so that my pvr had to contact the server and request new numbers. (it was like the handshake protocol wasn't correct any longer. I had tried every number in my area code with no success, it would connect to the server but not complete a download)
6. After new numbers were downloaded I chose a number within the new area code & selected Keep all settings.
7. System began to download. (if you see an increasing percentage completed, you're on your way)
8. Time and date should now be downloaded with antenna channels. (Not sure why you have to use an antenna setup first but without that step it will not download)
9. Return to setup & change your input setting connections to their original setting you noted previously.
10. Select Keep all settings. (again, if you see an increasing percentage completed you're on your way)
11. Good luck & thanks to all of you that placed messages on this forum that got me back up and running!!!
kellylee likes this.
post #76 of 409 Old 02-12-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmem View Post

I have done A < B but neither finishes. I get connected then a network link down message It will not download a list of local numbers

There seem to be several issues. The one where you have to connect with Replay central to get a handshake and new numbers, and also this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

FYI.. I spoke to my contact at Replay (not tech support) and the dialup problem is caused by a protocol change in the dialup network authentication mechanism (specifically periodic re-authentication).

It should be fixed soon.

Robert

Guess they haven't gotten to your ISP yet, but should eventually. Try again later?
post #77 of 409 Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Oops, missed that bit. People have said the zip code gets you the data for your area, so you don't want to switch that. Maybe you meant you switched the area code?

I had first tried changing zip codes and wound up with an empty guide listing then changing zip codes before it was determined the zip change would get a guide download. My SS still won't manually download the guide data (243-Zones), but it is now doing it by itself nightly. Now I remember SS to have 7 days of guide and the newer 5xxx models with more RAM to be 11-14 depending.

Arvy
post #78 of 409 Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 PM

Goes to connection established and then craps out
post #79 of 409 Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinrain View Post

Just tried again and got 217-689-4461 SUCCESS , great because at least now the date and time is correct again In case the box turns back into a brick

I just used this number with success. Had to enter it as a prefix, but it worked. Luckily I have unlimited long distance for now...
post #80 of 409 Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 AM

I have tried for about 1 and 1/2 weeks and nothing. The number Kendrick supplied connects and I getto the timezone setting prompt before it craps out. And is there any place I can get a newer Image for my hardrive Showstopper edition other the the Falls River Ma because that one does not have the updated software I Believe
post #81 of 409 Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 PM

much like others, I have been unable to transfer new data for the last week or so. Mine is a Panasonic HS2000 dial up model.

I get thru 'connection established', then 'contacting server' then 'setting clock' then to 'setting timezone' then 'network connect error'.

This is really a mess. At this time my HS2000 is basically a brick.
Any word on when this is going to be resolved?
post #82 of 409 Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 PM

Turn off unit, wait till hard drive spins down, then unplug for about a minute. This worked for one of my showstoppers that would not complete a download yesterday.
post #83 of 409 Old 02-16-2012, 08:05 AM

3 showstoppers

tired sportsmans instruction and now I don't even have a video connection
after restore to the old defaults.

1 brick
2 bricks I can watch live tv
post #84 of 409 Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whenley View Post

much like others, I have been unable to transfer new data for the last week or so. Mine is a Panasonic HS2000 dial up model.

I get thru 'connection established', then 'contacting server' then 'setting clock' then to 'setting timezone' then 'network connect error'.

This is really a mess. At this time my HS2000 is basically a brick.
Any word on when this is going to be resolved?

My 2020 was like that (taking longer than usual for what it did). It connected fine this morning, after being off (unplugged) all night.

Channel Guide is 2/16 through 2/24.

BTW, Does LaHo still exist?
post #85 of 409 Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

BTW, Does LaHo still exist?

Yup... not many folks using it (expected, mothership is free!) and we've scaled back the servers to save money but we're still running and waiting to see what DNNA eventually does.

I never signed up for a dialup network and the test modem line is currently down (I was the only one using it). I'll be picking up a new motherboard today so hopefully the test dialup will be back soon.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #86 of 409 Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 PM

wonder when these goofs will complete this
post #87 of 409 Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 PM

What is Laho and where do I sign up?
post #88 of 409 Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Laho & Wirns are Internet based, accessible with some difficulty using your modem based Showstoppers; you can look them up.

Many have worked through this problem; perhaps read thru this topic from the beginning and look for ideas?

If you can't access the ReplayTV 800 number by changing your home phone # to a different area code and exchange, perhaps it's a problem with your phone line or service?
post #89 of 409 Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

LaHo is the name of the hosted version of WiRNS. For the most part, it's currently in limbo, waiting for DNNA to decide what they're going to do.

You can sign up at http://percdata.com but modem access is not currently working (no one was using it but me) and when it is it requires a long distance call to Dallas.

I have information to subscribe to a national dial-up service but won't try it until the volume reaches a point to justify it... and that won't happen unless DNNA drops service.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #90 of 409 Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

LaHo is the name of the hosted version of WiRNS. For the most part, it's currently in limbo, waiting for DNNA to decide what they're going to do.

You can sign up at http://percdata.com but modem access is not currently working (no one was using it but me) and when it is it requires a long distance call to Dallas.

I have information to subscribe to a national dial-up service but won't try it until the volume reaches a point to justify it... and that won't happen unless DNNA drops service.

Robert

I tried to use it when I couldn't connect my 2020 to Replay's service. There was no answer every time I tried.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page