DrJoe ... It's hard dealing with a black box (your RTV), and much harder dealing with three (your local access point and the Replay Server). Computer problems like this are like a combination lock, which won't open until you get all the right numbers, as well as in sequence. In my R&D lab I had to keep a log of the trials I ran, or over time I would lose track. This is needed here as well, as the forum format is poor at separating truth from fiction, or summarizing problems & solutions. Add to that most of the experts are MIA.
Nobody has explained how the dialup process works in any detail, though I've posed the question, so there's nothing to go on but experience and common sense. IMO, this is what's up, in no particular order;
- An access # that won't 'answer' actually is picking up (I've listened), but the RTV doesn't acknowledge it. Don't know why.
- An access # that won't go beyond "connection established" has not contacted the server, probably because something is overloaded.
- A connection that starts downloading anything (even "Setting Clock") is talking to the RTV server, and that means the access number is OK.
- In all this time, I've never had to reboot to force a second or third connection from 243/zones.
- When I had problems adding to Guide data, I was advised to force clear the Channel Guide twice (once for main guide, once for the backup) to remove all corrupted guide data.
- When my Guide expired over time, I still had channels, and also could scroll forward and back in time, and could see expired data a few days back. Looked like a corruption to me.
- I like Cap'n_Crunch's idea on server load, which suggests there are better and worse times to get data. I find when the server response is brisk I have good luck, if not, I might as well quit.
- I've never gotten a partial Guide download; i get either all or nothing. Sounds like Guide corruption.
- Since I posted last, I've gotten 2 successive nightly updates, so it may be easier to update a populated Guide than an empty one, or it may be that the Guide is now uncorrupted.
- My working access# is one you've tried (312-705-3309).
- I like the strategy of changing the zip code slightly to stay within the cable or OTA service area, and only forcing a net connect if the server response is brisk.
- I like the strategy of recording the session by time-lapse to rapidly see exactly what happened.
- I like and am willing to do Manual records with no guide, using either computer or smartphone TV listings.