Replay won't download all channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-07-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I'm on my 4th Replaytv.. I bought a new 5504 on Ebay that crapped the bed in a year. I think it overheated.. I recently bought a used 5540 and it took me a while to program it to make it work right. My problem is it won't download all the tv shows on the channel guide.. I did the usual, 2-4-3 zones, and cleared the channel guide, but it just downloads a 4th of my channels. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 AM

So when you watch the progress of the Channel Guide update, does it get to about 25% of receiving data and then stop? Or does it receive the data and then stop when it gets to about 25% of consolidating the data? Or does it seem to complete and you only have 1/4 of the data? And just to be sure, does the ReplayTV have the latest software?

I don't have any knowledge about the technical details how ReplayTV works but in case it is storing this information on the hard drive, could it be there is something wrong with the hard drive?

Also, seems to me (although again, not sure) that if you were to set up WiRNS for delivering the ReplayTV guide, you could monitor the WiRNS log to see if the data is being sent or does it not accept all of it...
post #3 of 18 Old 02-11-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I clear the channel guide, then do a "net connect", but when it checks for new channels it goes 14%, 28%, 42%, 57%, 71%, 85%, then gets channel guide info.. It goes relatively fast considering I use a telephone line.

I assume I have the latest software because it looks for it whenever I net connect it.

I know the previous owner changed the hard drive because it has tons of space. It could be the problem. Is it easy to replace it with a better hard drive?

I'm a little lost about what Wirns is?

Thanks..
post #4 of 18 Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTple View Post

My problem is it won't download all the tv shows on the channel guide.. I did the usual, 2-4-3 zones, and cleared the channel guide, but it just downloads a 4th of my channels. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks..

Take a look at Setup > Add or Remove Channels, and see if the ones you are missing are deselected (crossed off). If so, reselect them to have them displayed in the Channel Guide.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

I just checked the add/remove channels and they don't show the ones that are missing..

Thanks..
post #6 of 18 Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM

How about describing your signal source and how it's connected to the RTV?
post #7 of 18 Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
  1. Quote:

...I'm on my 4th Replaytv.. I bought a new 5504 on Ebay that crapped the bed in a year. I think it overheated.. I recently bought a used 5540 and it took me a while to program it to make it work right. My problem is it won't download all the tv shows on the channel guide.. I did the usual, 2-4-3 zones, and cleared the channel guide, but it just downloads a 4th of my channels. Does anyone have any suggestions?

1. With 3 previous 5XXXs, I'm sure you have enough experience to eventually figure it out.
    2. Was it in a tight, poorly-ventilated space?
      First things to check are the P/S outputs, the Circuit Board Grounds and the HDD via a Diagnosic Program on your PC.
    3. Go visit Zap2It.com and compare the Channel Guides for your zipcode with what you're seeing on your *NEW* ReplayTV. Are you selecting the SAME Channel Guide on #4 as you have on #1-3?
  2. Quote:

I clear the channel guide, then do a "net connect", but when it checks for new channels it goes 14%, 28%, 42%, 57%, 71%, 85%, then gets channel guide info.. It goes relatively fast considering I use a telephone line.

I assume I have the latest software because it looks for it whenever I net connect it.

I know the previous owner changed the hard drive because it has tons of space. It could be the problem. Is it easy to replace it with a better hard drive?

I'm a little lost about what Wirns is?

1. Clear the Channel Guide *TWICE* - once clears the Active copy, twice clears the Backup copy.
    2. If you can replace the HDD on a PC, you can do it on a ReplayTV.
      1. GOOGLE: "WiRNS OR DVArchive" without the quotes but keeping the capitalization.
      2. Visit the forums at PlanetReplay and DVArchive and read a bit.
      3. With the inevitable demise of the DNNA Channel Guide, you're going to need to learn how to use WiRNS 3.X sooner or later. Best you learn now so that when the time comes, you can just 'Flip-a-Switch'.
  3. Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Take a look at Setup > Add or Remove Channels, and see if the ones you are missing are deselected (crossed off). If so, reselect them to have them displayed in the Channel Guide.

I just checked the add/remove channels and they don't show the ones that are missing...

1. If the missing channels are *NOT* in the Menu, you've selected the wrong listing. Look at your other three ReplayTVs.
    2. What's feeding your ReplayTVs (#1-4)?
      • CECB and OTA?
      • Cable STB?
      • Satellite STB?
      • Direct RF from the wall?
      • ???
BTW, have you read my ReplayTV FAQ, STICKY'd at the top of the page? I also wrote FAQs (~2005) in the forums over at:
  1. DVArchive
  2. PlanetReplay
  3. Poopli
Good Luck!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #8 of 18 Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

[*][*]Clear the Channel Guide *TWICE* - once clears the Active copy, twice clears the Backup copy.

Does that clear the channel lineup and the clock/date as well, or are they left intact? (FAQ's seemed to be down when I searched for an answer to this.)
post #9 of 18 Old 02-18-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does that clear the channel lineup and the clock/date as well, or are they left intact?...

When you clear the Channel Guide TWICE, you'll have NO Channel Guide Data - no Active, no Backup. To make your ReplayTV useful again, you'll need to 'Net Connect'. The FIRST thing 'Net Connect' does is set the clock.

Does it really matter if the Clock/Date are cleared?

post #10 of 18 Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

When you clear the Channel Guide TWICE, you'll have NO Channel Guide Data - no Active, no Backup. ... Does it really matter if the Clock/Date are cleared?

Thanks for the answer. It matters since keeping the lineup and clock allows me to do manual recordings on a blank Guide, while I line up a replacement for my SS. I am unable to complete a dialup net connect of any sort now, either to get numbers from RTV or a Guide from a local access number. I was thinking clearing the Guide might help my SS complete a download, but it's not worth the risk.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.. I would have replied sooner if my dog didn't decide to impale himself when I took him for a walk in the state park.. Geez, he'll be the death of me.

Anyways, I contacted the person who sold me the unit and he said he would send me a different hard drive for free.. So, for now, I'm just going to wait and replace the hard drive when I get it.. I can replace a computer hard drive so I guess it should be easy..

Thanks everyone.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I contacted the person who sold me the unit and he said he would send me a different hard drive for free.. So, for now, I'm just going to wait and replace the hard drive when I get it...

Sounds like you're putting the 'Cart-Before-the-Horse'.

If/When you change the HDD and it DOESN'T solve your problem, answer the questions in Post #7.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
When volunteers invest ~30-60 minutes, or sometimes even more, of their Personal Time carefully laying out a Troubleshooting Procedure, with a series of questions to answer, and then you come back OVER TWO WEEKS LATER and decide to do something TOTALLY unrelated , it doesn't encourage volunteers to continue participating. Sorry about your dog. Good luck with your problem(s).

post #13 of 18 Old 02-23-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...while I line up a replacement for my SS. I am unable to complete a dialup net connect of any sort now, either to get numbers from RTV or a Guide from a local access number. I was thinking clearing the Guide might help my SS complete a download, but it's not worth the risk.

The 5040 was my first exposure to the ReplayTV Community back in 2005 with the RadioShack Lifetime 5040 for $150 deal, so my knowledge of its predecessors is limited to what I've read on the 4 forums.

When I woke up this morning, I thought you weren't able to connect at all, so I was going to refer you to:
Replay TV Not Connecting To Server since it appears that 'Active' Dial-Up Numbers are getting "Scarcer-Than-Hen's-Teeth". But, glancing through that ACTIVE (aka currently popular) thread, I see that you CAN connect but just CANNOT COMPLETE a session. That gave me two more ideas:
  1. I once read that you can 'Fine-Tune' your Modem Connection.
    I believe it had to do with a Modem-Only user trying to use VOIP. Possibly LOWERING your modem speed might help.
  2. The next idea related to 'What Are You Going to Do When the Hammer Falls?' and DNNA shuts down? According to dstoffa, PercData wasn't very popular, so you're going to need either a different model ReplayTV with an Ethernet Port or you can do that 'Trick' where you utilize ICS (IIRC, Internet Connection Sharing) on a Windows PC where the PC acts like a normal WiRNS PC, getting data through the Ethernet Port BUT it also shares that data with an 'OLD' Modem-Only ReplayTV through a modem card.
    Can be done but don't know if YOU are up to it.
Finally, grabbing a used WORKING 5XXX (I bought 2 'Duds' that I'm repairing) would certainly be the SIMPLEST solution.

Good Luck!

UPDATE: The first pot of coffee just finished brewing while I was composing this reply, so I'm running just on a glass of Orange Juice. Then I found:
ReplayTV won't complete a dialup connection where you THOROUGHLY answered my questions from today and more. So, soon as I pour my first cup, I'll reply over there.

post #14 of 18 Old 02-25-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

I did a few of the things that you mentioned and they didn't work. I appreciate your help but this stuff isn't my forte..

The hard drive decided to die before the new hard drive was delivered so I guess I'm screwed.

I hooked the replaytv the exact way I hooked the others up so I can't see that being the problem..

The old Replay was a victim of overheating so there's no way to look at the hard drive..
post #15 of 18 Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

If you search, you are likely to find ISO images of the replaytv drive. There is software out there that can properly format the drive and then burn the image to the drive. Drive failures are the simplest problems to fix.

Joe

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #16 of 18 Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.. I had a local guy replace my hard drive and everything is working great...
post #17 of 18 Old 03-12-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

TTPle,

Your "overheated" ReplayTV -- is it just the drive that went bad? I've had two 3000-series units for 10 years and have had only two hardware problems:

1) multiple bad hard drives (which can easily be replaced with new drives with new images).
2) a bad power supply (for which I was able to purchase a replacement by searching for the part number on the power supply & buying from a surplus electronics company).

Aside from my issues, I've heard of the modems going bad.

These things seem pretty bullet-proof otherwise. I wonder if you could just replace the hard drive on the "overheated" unit and get it working again.

Joe

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #18 of 18 Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I probably could have just replaced the hard drive in the 5504 (one that overheated), but I gave it to the guy that repaired my 5540..
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page