AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/27-replaytv-showstopper-pvrs/)
-   -   ReplayTV won't complete a dialup connection (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/27-replaytv-showstopper-pvrs/1395363-replaytv-won-t-complete-dialup-connection.html)

gring40 02-20-2012 02:39 PM

Since earlier this month, my RTV has been unable to complete a dialup connection, leaving me with a partial Guide (soon to go empty). My local primary number usually answers, goes through most of the steps, gets to the combining data' part, and then the process is cut off: same for other primary numbers in the Setup listing. If I put in a new local home phone number, it dials the ReplayTV server for new access numbers and channels, but again terminates early. In both cases, no new data is downloaded to my SS. The message I get is that the modem hung up, and will try later.

First question; would that hang-up be by the SS modem, or the ISP (or Server) modem?

I've tried changing the modem speed by pressing Zones' at the dialing prefix option, and get a choice of Default' and then a range of modem speeds from 33 kb/s down to 9600 or so, but trying those hasn't helped. My line does not sound noisy to me. The termination comes at random intervals, so the connection is not timing out.

Second question; the SS modem is specified at 56 kb/s, but that option doesn't appear. Might there be a problem with my own modem?

I've tried both warm and cold reboots. I've tried disconnecting everything from the line except the SS, all to no avail. I do have call waiting, but I've tried the code to disable it, and anyway none of the connections have been interrupted by an incoming call.

I've tested putting other numbers into the dialing prefix slot, and I can call my own cell-phone that way, so that method will work to dial other numbers, and the modem is dialing properly. Putting in Earthlink listings for nearby Chicago gives no connection at all, however.

Third question; does anyone know the access numbers for the Northern part of Chicago?

I guess I might have a corrupted Channel Guide, but am hesitant to clear it since I would lose all data. As it is, I still have my channel lineup and clock, so I can use the SS to make manual recordings.

Finally, does this problem sound familiar, and can someone comment or help with this? Thanks

ClearToLand 02-23-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Since earlier this month, my RTV has been unable to complete a dialup connection, leaving me with a partial Guide (soon to go empty)....

...I've tried...

...I guess I might have a corrupted Channel Guide, but am hesitant to clear it since I would lose all data. As it is, I still have my channel lineup and clock, so I can use the SS to make manual recordings...

Sorry that I originally missed this thread.

You seem to have rather thoroughly covered ALL the bases. And, whenever I see this problem on one of my 5XXXs, Clearing the Channel Guide TWICE is, IIRC, always the solution. Well, maybe a few times I had to COLD BOOT with the Ethernet Cable unplugged, then COLD BOOT again with it plugged in... ) So, you're between a 'Rock-and-a-Hard-Place'.

You can SEARCH the Archives here at AVS or over on PlanetReplay. Or you can "Ask Henry" over on PlanetReplay. (Henry stopped participating on AVS back during the "06/15/11 - 07/31/11 DNNA Guide Data Going Away" period.)

Blowing away your expired / EMPTY Guide Data is a decision you're going to have to make. Yeah, you'll still have your 'Drifting Clock', but no channels to manually select from. And, by your report above, you're getting past the 'Setting the clock' so that part should be covered.

I can't help you any further, but I'll be watching for your reply as to what you decide to do AND whether or not it solves your problem.

Good Luck!

P.S. Since this place is now a relative 'Ghost Town', you might trying PM'ing Reden and KenL. IIRC, you can include up to 3 UserIDs in 1 PM. I'd look through the 06/15/11 threads for long-time users that briefly popped back on and see if you can pick out a 3rd that might have ShowStopper experience.

gring40 02-24-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

... You seem to have rather thoroughly covered ALL the bases. And, whenever I see this problem on one of my 5XXXs, Clearing the Channel Guide TWICE is, IIRC, always the solution. Well, maybe a few times I had to COLD BOOT with the Ethernet Cable unplugged, then COLD BOOT again with it plugged in... ) So, you're between a 'Rock-and-a-Hard-Place'. . ...

Very nice to know that clearing the Guide ought to work, that there's probably no other option, and that I've done all I could; thanks.

For now, I'm planning to let the guide expire of natural causes and clear itself, but it's behaving oddly. For today I see a blank guide, but the data is still there from 2 days ago (normally I can access just one day earlier), and goes back from there. Yesterday there was two days worth of data, today just one day. Earlier than that there is a blank Guide going back a very long way. We will see if it's all clear tomorrow, and then combining might work.

There are now several people on the "Replay won't connect to Server" topic posting about this, and also some at Planet Replay. Misery loves company.

gring40 02-25-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

.... For now, I'm planning to let the guide expire of natural causes and clear itself .... We will see if it's all clear tomorrow, and then combining might work. ...

UPDATE: I got an overnight connection and a complete and normal Guide this morning. I had no chance to check that the junk data in my Guide was gone, but it was disappearing each say, and should have been gone by today. With a normal Guide, it is now impossible to look back that far.

So if you don't want to clear your Guide in order to at least keep your channel lineup for manual recording, you can just wait for it to self-clear.

I've no idea how it got corrupted in the first place, however.