wrong time on replaytv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My replaytv clock is slow by 1h 51m. I first noticed this issue a week or two ago. I've tried:

- forcing a dial-up connect
- changing setup to use a different cable provider. The replay connected and claims to have set the time, but the clock is still wrong.
- changed setup back to original provider. Time is still incorrect.

If it were exactly 2 hours behind, it may be a timezone related issue, but I'm a bit baffled as to why it's 1h 51m behind.

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is the dial-in successful? Do you have guide data?

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #3 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the dial-in is successful, with new guide data.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 AM

Please update us on what has happened in the meantime. Did the clock correct itself? If not, is the error still 1 hour and 51 minutes?
post #5 of 12 Old 03-04-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The replaytv clock is CPU cycle based that and only keeps crude time. The clock deviates several minutes every day. The replayTV relies on nightly connections set the clock keeping it accurate. There is a software hack (a custom disk image) that allows you to go into the claw foot portal (243-zones button) and set the timer manually whenever you want. That would be cumbersome but would work. You may have already known all of that, I don't know.

Apparently your replay TV is not resetting the clock when you dial in. I don't know how to fix that and I don't know if it's on the server side or something erroneous about your replay TVs software.

Scattershot approach:
Try having your replay TV connect to a completely different city

Try unplugging everything from the replay TV for several hours.

Reimage the replay TV hard drive, if you know how.

Or try to gain the attention of someone who knows what the hell they're talking about.

Hope that helps!
post #6 of 12 Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 AM

Please review the posts in the "Panasonic Showstopper internal battery" thread. I suspect that you are being plagued by two problems:

1) Your machine is not actually setting the clock during the "Setting the clock" phase of the nightly network connect procedure. I have found that no error was reported during that phase, but the clock remained set to a Nov. 1999 date and time.

2) You may have a bad C183, which draws current. As a result, less than 5 volts may be delivered to the power pins of real time clock IC, impairing its timekeeping function.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrlentil View Post

My replaytv clock is slow by 1h 51m. I first noticed this issue a week or two ago. I've tried:

- forcing a dial-up connect
    - changing setup to use a different cable provider. The replay connected and claims to have set the time, but the clock is still wrong.
    - changed setup back to original provider. Time is still incorrect.

If it were exactly 2 hours behind, it may be a timezone related issue, but I'm a bit baffled as to why it's 1h 51m behind.

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on how to fix it?

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by cap_ncrunch View Post

...I suspect that you are being plagued by two problems:

1) Your machine is not actually setting the clock during the "Setting the clock" phase of the nightly network connect procedure. I have found that no error was reported during that phase, but the clock remained set to a Nov. 1999 date and time.

2) You may have a bad C183, which draws current. As a result, less than 5 volts may be delivered to the power pins of real time clock IC, impairing its timekeeping function.

The new information about the shorted C183 is good news (for the ReplayTV Community, not particularly the OP).

Referring to the ReplayTV 'lying' about 'Setting the Clock', if the clock set message passes in:
  • ~10 seconds, the clock has been set.
  • > 60 seconds, the clock has NOT been set.
  • If you go to 243-Zones and turn on the 'On Screen Clock', you can immediately see if it changes.
  • Many strange 'Net Connect' problems seem to be corrected by *TWO* 'Clear Channel Guide' steps.
Good Luck!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #8 of 12 Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

My clock issue may very well be related to the shorted C183 issue. My replaytv has successfully refreshed channel info the last several nights, but the clock has still been 1h 51m slow. So last night I unplugged the unit for 9 minutes. When I turned it back on, the clock was 2 hours slow. I also noticed that there's a message about a power loss right around when this first started.

I'm guessing that means an issue with the C183. I'll try some options like clearing channel guide twice, dialing up to a different city, etc as soon as I get a chance. Hopefully there's a quick fix, otherwise I'll look into installing the manual clock setting panel.

The good news is that doing the math on manual records is much easier now that the clock is exactly 2h slow

Thanks for the suggestions - I really appreciate it.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 AM

It sounds like your ReplayTV is somehow saving the current time and date and restoring it following a power outage. If your machine is one of the Panasonic Showstopper HS1000/2000/3000 series or earlier ReplayTV models, it sounds like C183 provides enough voltage to retain memory but not enough to keep the clock oscillator running. The behavior would be like that of a mechanical electric clock, which stops when power goes off and picks up when power goes back on.

TheRealAnubis disassembled C183 and posted his results in the internal battery thread. There are two capacitors in series inside C183. If one failed and the other were still good, there might be just enough voltage to retain memory with the clock oscillator shut down. The one thing that does not fit: does the capacitor retain enough charge to retain the real time clock's memory through a 1 hour 51 minute power outage?

I like ClearToLand's observations about setting the clock from the server. His suggestion to enable the on-screen clock is excellent. There is an implication that the machine requests the time from the server. If the server doesn't respond in 60 seconds, the machine moves on to Setting timezone without reporting an error.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlentil View Post

...but the clock has still been 1h 51m slow. So last night I unplugged the unit for 9 minutes. When I turned it back on, the clock was 2 hours slow.

Quote:

It sounds like your ReplayTV is somehow saving the current time and date and restoring it following a power outage...

...I like ClearToLand's observations about setting the clock from the server. His suggestion to enable the on-screen clock is excellent. There is an implication that the machine requests the time from the server. If the server doesn't respond in 60 seconds, the machine moves on to Setting timezone without reporting an error.

cap_ncrunch,

I don't see how you reached the conclusion that mrlentil's ReplayTV is saving the CURRENT TIME, when it's obvious that NINE MINUTES unplugged moved him from 111 min off to 120 min off.

Enabling the 'On-Screen' Clock and timing the 'Clock Set' period will shed a great deal of light on the OP's problem.

Not discounting C183 as a potential problem, IMHO, *IF* the ReplayTV connects to the 'Mothership' and resets the time, it *SHOULD* be good for the next minute (or more! ). Whether it gains or loses time is up to the hardware. If it's *NOT* resetting to the CORRECT TIME, it appears to be a software problem...

post #11 of 12 Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM

I meant the current time in its memory. Let's say mrlentil's clock reads 9:00 AM but is 1 hour 51 minutes slow, so it is really 10:51 AM. He stops his clock for 9 minutes, so now it is really 11:00 AM, but his clock still reads 9:00 AM, the time retained in its memory. He starts his clock again, so it tracks 2 hours behind the actual time.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I meant the current time in its memory. Let's say mrlentil's clock reads 9:00 AM but is 1 hour 51 minutes slow, so it is really 10:51 AM. He stops his clock for 9 minutes, so now it is really 11:00 AM, but his clock still reads 9:00 AM, the time retained in its memory. He starts his clock again, so it tracks 2 hours behind the actual time.

A few more brain cells came back on-line with your detailed explanation!

There are TWO problems that need to be corrected:
  1. The ReplayTV needs to re-sync to the CORRECT time with the ReplayTV Servers during a Net Connect (probably software-related).
  2. The Capacitor / Battery backup circuitry on the ReplayTV motherboard is NOT keeping the clock running, BUT it is saving the time from the moment the ReplayTV was unplugged and resuming from there when AC is restored.
Interesting...

When our beloved ReplayTVs act as they should, many of us are never exposed to the 'oddities' of hardware and/or software problems. Thus, if you asked me right now if my 5XXXs retained the time from when they were unplugged, I couldn't answer for sure without actually experimenting.

Thanks for the clarification.

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page