Well, I got the part and installed it. It is slightly smaller than the original, but it fit back in the spot with no modifications.
I'll attach pics of before and after, in case anyone wants to have a look.
As far as soldering on a 10 year old board, that's the fun part! I soldered the 1541 serial to PC cable onto my old 1541 drive with no problems, and that's from the early 80's!
try that cable if I get a chance - It can't hurt to have other options.
I had a problem again with getting the time to update correctly. I went into 243 zones and toggled the clock so I could see when (or if) it happened.
I cleared all of the guide data 2 times to start with.
I tried 3 times on my local number with no change, and it took 2 tries to the 505-213 number (but I didn't update the channels, just that first dialup where it gets the numbers and stuff - the 5 minute dial in) but it did finally update the clock. After that it was all ready to go! I'm letting that cap charge for a day or two, then I'll pull the plug and see what happens. Wish me luck!
Here's a pic of the board without the part (looking from rear of unit):
and here's a pic with the part installed (looking from rear of unit):
*&*&*&*&* Update *&*&*&*&*
It works! I had to unplug my system to replace the UPS battery, so it was all off for a couple of hours. When I got it powered back up, the Showstopper had the correct time and the channel guide was intact!
So if you are thinking about replacing the part, the one from ebay works fine!
I also got the power loss messages in the messages area.