Replays don't always communicate? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I have three Replay Units. 5000 series. Actually have a fourth that is a dial up unit that I finally gave up on but I digress.
When I got the two additional units I was amazed to find out that the units communicated and that I could watch recorded content on the unit in the family room while watching the one in the bedroom. Love it!
But they don't always communicate with each other?
One of the units does it's updates wireless while the other two are hardwired to the router. The one that is wireless is the least likely to communicate with the other two but sometimes it works fine and other times it doesn't see the other two.
In an effort to shake it loose, I have initiated a net connect; it downloads all of the channel info etc but still doesn't see the other two machines.
The other two see each other but not the wireless communicating machine. At least not consistently.
Not the end of the world but once you taste chocolate you want to keep tasting it.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

ReplayTV boxes have somewhat fragile networking. Even wired they can get lost. I bought some Motorola MOCA boxes off eBay to eliminate the wireless links I was using with mine and things got way better. MOCA boxes work with cable TV cables only.

If there is any way to eliminate that wireless link, I'd try that. Even running a long CAT-5 or CAT-6 cable over the floor to try it out for some days might be worth doing. Lucky for me, my wife is an engineer and tolerates such experiments.

Bye.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-22-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
I thought about stringing the cable across the floor to see if that mattered. I might try that, I just figured that it is talking to the router fine if it can get it's channel guide info.
Hopefully I get some more tips and if not I'll try stringing the cable.

P
post #4 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sleigher1 View Post

...When I got the two additional units I was amazed to find out that the units communicated and that I could watch recorded content on the unit in the family room while watching the one in the bedroom. Love it!
    But they don't always communicate with each other?
    One of the units does it's updates wireless while the other two are hardwired to the router. The one that is wireless is the least likely to communicate with the other two but sometimes it works fine and other times it doesn't see the other two....

Could be the wireless, or could be the "Dual IP Bug", or...

Communicating with the 'Mothership' is different from communicating with each other.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sleigher1 View Post

...I thought about stringing the cable across the floor to see if that mattered. I might try that...

...Hopefully I get some more tips and if not I'll try stringing the cable.

Connection help can be found at:
    1. ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions:
    2. The STICKYs at: Poopli Forum: Poopli Help

Run the cable while you're troubleshooting. Otherwise, IMHO, you're wasting your time. Once you get everything working WITH the cable (i.e. hard-wired), you can try going back to wire-less.

Good Luck!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #5 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You probably have everything set to DHCP. Set the Replays to static and put address reservation for them in the router.

Tony
post #6 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

You probably have everything set to DHCP. Set the Replays to static and put address reservation for them in the router.

I used to have a lot of communication problems with Replays (5xxx). Mostly, they work reliably now, since I've set up address reservation (also called static DHCP) on the router.

Once this is done. Setting the Replay to static addressing will NOT help any more, and just complicates maintenence. It's better not to do this, unless you need to for something like WiRNS.

BTW, I use WiRNS and leave the Replays on dynamic. This works because my router supports dnsmasq, which allows a specific IP (the one of the machine running WiRNS) to be returned for *.replaytv.net.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
When we use the "static ips not necessary" answer, we get replies of "Wow, that's great, my replays don't talk only "occasionally" now replies. So apparently the bug somehow still allows 1 part to be incommunicado. But in dozens of Replay over YEARS, I NEVER had one go off line from the others with static.

Tony
post #8 of 8 Old 03-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

When we use the "static ips not necessary" answer, we get replies of "Wow, that's great, my replays don't talk only "occasionally" now replies. So apparently the bug somehow still allows 1 part to be incommunicado. But in dozens of Replay over YEARS, I NEVER had one go off line from the others with static.

I tried static (on the Replay) at first. It would still get an IP through DHCP (this can be verified by looking at your router's DHCP table).

Changing DHCP (on the router) tells DHCP to ALWAYS return that particular IP to a device that has the MAC address you set. There's now no way the Replay can get any other address from DHCP.

Once that's done, setting static on the Replay either causes the problem (if you set it wrong) or makes no difference (if you set it right).

Setting the Replay to static NEVER helps with the DHCP bug. I didn't say it would hurt (unless you do it wrong).
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page