Replay Connection and Closed Caption - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-23-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of the things I like about ReplayTV is the variety of connections available (except no HDMI). Usually I have an S-video and the 2 RCA plug audio cable. Those S-video pins are pretty touchy and recently while checking connections in order to try to improve the picture, I broke off one of the pins . That was the end of that cable. I connected up a 5-part component cable and was back to viewing but noticed there was no Closed Caption which I need because
  1. My hearing isn't what it used to be
  2. Actors mumble or speak in regional dialects that not all of us are used to, or
  3. Combination of the above
My question to the group is, have you experienced the lack of captions while using the component cables between Replay and tv's that normally display the captions? This has happened on different tv's (Sony and Samsung) that, during normal viewing or with Replay playback using S-video and audio cables, show the captions. It is just when I switch to the component cable that I can't get the captions to appear.
For those familiar with audio/video, is this a function of the cable used or should I be trying different settings for receiving captions in each tv?
I "solved" it by getting another S-video cable and removing the component cable.
But I am wondering what the norm is for transferring closed captioning from Replay to a caption capable tv.

And while I'm on the connection subject, I see that most of the tv's offered nowadays do not have an S-video connection. Have you also experienced that when looking at equipment? This makes my caption question even more serious (for me, anyway).
Thanks.
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Really, does no one on this forum have the experience of connecting their ReplayTV via component cables (the 5 connector type) and getting closed caption to work? Over 500 views of my question and nobody has any ideas? confused.gif

If you have this connection to a late-model TV and have made closed caption work (even for a short time to see if it is possible) could you let me know what CC settings you used? The settings are usually in the TV's menu tree. As far as I know, there are no CC options within the ReplayTV settings.

As I mentioned in the original post, the tuner in the ReplayTV seems to send out the CC information since it works through S-video and composite (three connector type) cables. It would be nice if it were possible to see CC through the component cables, too since the picture is much better through them:
Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.
Joel
post #3 of 5 Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Haven't visited this forum in awhile, but that was my problem with the Replay component connection. Visually better, but lacked the CC I require. Somewhere someone gave a technical explanation for this but it is very frustrating. Search for closed captioning, component and maybe you can track down the lunacy.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-28-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Haven't visited this forum in awhile, but that was my problem with the Replay component connection. Visually better, but lacked the CC I require. Somewhere someone gave a technical explanation for this but it is very frustrating. Search for closed captioning, component and maybe you can track down the lunacy.

CC cannot be done over HDMI nor Component connections unless the device sending the stream overlays the captions. The RTV would have to overlay the CC on the outgoing stream itself, and it cannot do that. It wasn't designed to do it, just pass the old signal through.

For NTSC, Component, and S-Video, the CC is passed through on "Line 21." (it is embedded in the SD analog signal), and your TV can display it. Your TV does the overlaying. There is no equivalent "Line 21" in a component connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning#HDTV_interoperability_issues

You learn something new every day.

Cheers!
-Doug
JReplayFan likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-28-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Sonyad for relaying your experience.

And thanks, Doug, for your definitive answer. There are boxes with jacks and circuitry to convert composite or S-Video into a HDMI signal and send the info out a HDMI cable.
examples:
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/stohdco1.html

But thanks to your answer, apparently that would not send the closed caption signal either. There does not seem to be any solution except to use the three-cable composite connection with the ReplayTV and put up with the lesser quality picture. frown.gif
Joel
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page