Dial in Owners Need Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you have been following the thread about the dial in connection problems, you know some of us are getting desperate. Please, post your dial in number, and rate it for reliability from 0 to 5:

0 -- modem doesn't answer
1 -- connects but doesn't get beyond "connection established"
2 -- gets stuck on "downloading channels" (no guide data)
3 -- sometimes doesn't answer but usually gets some guide data
4 -- always gets partial download of guide data
5 -- successfully connects

These are only meant as guides -- if your number doesn't fit exactly, rate it and then let us know your feelings about it.

Thanks,

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My main number for two units is 410-510-9009 (Maryland)

I rate it of late a "2". It often doesn't answer, when it does it connects and moves through downloading channel info, then gets stuck. My two Replay units have no guide data. all the other numbers I have tried recently have been worse -- either no answer/connection or never moves past connection established.

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #3 of 3 Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My own experiments indicate that your guide status and when you call may be more important than which number you call.

Many of the primary numbers may be on this list of AT&T dialup numbers:

http://www.southcentralpower.com/bro...ss_numbers.pdf

I really feel that each of these numbers should work as well as any other on this list.

Guide Status

My recommendation is to check the messages and guide each morning, verifying that your guide has been extended one day into the future following the nightly update. If you get a message that the nightly connect failed, no need to check the guide, proceed with forced network connect. If no message, the guide should include a partial day one week from tomorrow. If not, force a net connect. Check the guide after the net connect completes. If you have a partial day one week from tomorrow, you are all set.

If you get 2 days behind, i. e. no guide data at all for one week from today, it is very unlikely that net connect will help. If you have more than one machine on the same phone line, disconnect the phone line from the machine with the incomplete guide. Otherwise, that machine may tie up the phone line with two or more long attempts to download the guide during the night, and cause the other machines to fail to get access to the phone line.

When to Call

Some users have reported that their machines recovered a fresh guide during the nightly update after the current guide became empty.

I've found that I had success downloading a fresh guide using tricks that I posted elsewhere on the forum. I used the same number each time, but some times of day work better than others.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page