ReplayTV remote failing 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-30-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My ReplayTV remote control is failing. When I hit channel guide the Replay box crashes. Cannot then be turned on or off, must then turn off power to the box to restart. Are new remotes available?
Thx, Arlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlene911 View Post

My ReplayTV remote control is failing. When I hit channel guide the Replay box crashes. Cannot then be turned on or off, must then turn off power to the box to restart. Are new remotes available?
Thx, Arlene

If it is JUST when you press "Channel Guide" it could be that there is some corrupt data in the guide the RTV doesn't understand, so it hangs...

Had this happen back in the day when I EuroNews was in my channel lineup. There would be some obscure character in the gudie data, and any time that I would scroll by that channel, my RTV would re-boot.

The solution? Remove that channel...

I don't think your remote control is to blame here...

Cheers!
-Doug
post #3 of 7 Old 03-30-2012, 04:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

If it is JUST when you press "Channel Guide" it could be that there is some corrupt data in the guide the RTV doesn't understand, so it hangs...

Had this happen back in the day when I EuroNews was in my channel lineup. There would be some obscure character in the gudie data, and any time that I would scroll by that channel, my RTV would re-boot.

Of course you could also try to access the Channel Guide through the Menu, which would rule out a problem with the Guide key. If it still crashes you can proceed as above, or if that fails, clear the entire Guide (twice). If it is the remote, there are lots on eBay.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 AM

Many universal remote controls are compatible with the ReplayTV. I have one of the oneforall models with a PVR device key and it works well. The down side is that it doesn't have the Zones button. For normal viewing, this is a minor inconvenience. You can access Zones through the menu using two or more button pushes instead of just one. However, the Zones button is needed for some of the special functions. An example is 243 Zones to get to a menu which provides a forced network connect. I keep my original remote control, which has a number of buttons that don't work well, just for the Zones button.

I agree with dstoffa and gring40 that the remote is probably not causing your machine to crash.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 AM

From another post, I think you have a 5040. A good test might be using a "softremote" as found in DVArchive or WiRNS. DVArchive would probably be easiest as you just download a zip file,execute the jar file, enter your DVR's IP address, and start DVR Remote control.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

Cheers!
-Doug

It's fixed! I went on the remove channels function, deleted around 200 channels that I never view, and it now works perfectly. DirecTV as added so many useless channels that the old Replay just could not handle. I can't thank you enough. I love this machine and thought the end may have arrived, but now I am convinced it will go on for another year or more. Cheers, Arlene
post #7 of 7 Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

It's fixed! I went on the remove channels function, deleted around 200 channels that I never view, and it now works perfectly. DirecTV as added so many useless channels that the old Replay just could not handle. I can't thank you enough. I love this machine and thought the end may have arrived, but now I am convinced it will go on for another year or more. Cheers, Arlene
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page