RTVPatch with a Win7 laptop? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm cleaning-out my basement, and I have an old tower system with Windows XP that I haven't used in years. The only reason I keep it is for if/when I need to replace another Replay drive.

My question is, can I use a current Windows 7 laptop to Patch a drive if I use a USB to IDE converter like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812232002 ?

Also, what are the chances I'll be able to actually find a hard drive to put into the Replay?

It's getting tougher to know if its worth hanging on to the Replay lifestyle, or when the next drive goes should I take it as the sign to move on to another technology

Thanks for your thoughts on this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

haven't tried the usb drive, but rtvpatch definitely works in win7 64-bit.. just did a drive myself, but have an older mobo with ide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback on Win 7. I'm going to go ahead and purchase the USB adapter and one of these refurbished drives and see if they work. I'll report back in a few weeks.

Drive:
http://serversupply.com/HARD%20DRIVE...3160215ACE.htm
post #4 of 8 Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbolen70 View Post

haven't tried the usb drive....

I've used USB IDE adapters in the past to patch RTV hard drives, even with a laptop.

Biggest issue nowadays will be finding not only IDE Drives, but IDE Drives that are compatible with a 50/55xx series RTV's hard drive controller...

Cheers!
-Doug
post #5 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

I’m very pleased to report that the USB IDE adapter & the ServerSupply 160GB Seagate drive appear to work with RTVPatch & Replay.
Here are the details....

Both the Newegg USB IDE adapter & the Seagate DB35 drive shipped with free shipping, and arrived within a few days. The USB adapter worked as advertised. I connected the "new" (the listing indicates its a refurbished drive) Seagate drive. Per SeaTools for Windows, the drive has firmware 3.ACH and Power-On Hours of "0". It has a date code of 10166 (mfg end of October 2010).

I was able to use the USB adapter to backup both of my Replay drives. It was nice to be able to bring the laptop to the Reply! For one of the units, I performed the backup with the videos cables still connected to the back, and the drive still screwed in place to the chassis.

I restored one of the images to the new160GB Seagate drive, and then put this drive into the Replay. The Replay booted OK, and all of the settings were OK (I didn’t attempt to copy the shows, but the channel guide was correct, and the Replay Guide had all of the scheduled recordings present). I only ran the Replay for a minute or two before I shut it down and put the old drive back in. So, I don’t know for sure that the new drive will perform well in the long term with recordings, or not rebooting.

In summary, I spent about $50 and I now have a drive ready to go if/when one of the Replay drives fail. With the USB adapter, I have a means to patch drives with the laptop. So, I am proceeding with cleaning out the basement and recycling all of my old PCs (and old PS/2 keyboards I kept around from the days of the Linux Replay Patch boot disks). I will be keeping an eye on the Ceton Q as a potential long-term replacement. But, for now I figure I’m set for another year or so with the Replays.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 AM

do you have the latest patch for the 50xx. I have 2 old ones but when I use them the menu screen is not complete. It does not show the "connect to replay" screen. Any suggestions?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

I've used USB IDE adapters in the past to patch RTV hard drives, even with a laptop.

Biggest issue nowadays will be finding not only IDE Drives, but IDE Drives that are compatible with a 50/55xx series RTV's hard drive controller...

Cheers!

-Doug

I have added 4 Replay 5xxx units I got on eBay since July 2011 (and reimaged the 2020 this year, to include manual clock set). All of these, I did without removing the drives from the Replays and using a USB IDE adapter. It makes it a lot easier. The Replay itself is a power supply for the drive.

Mark Lloyd

post #8 of 8 Old 08-31-2012, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i just ordered one and a ide to sata converter to see if that works in a replay---d`
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page