Recommended Digital OTA converters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 04-07-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
jlv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm working to repair my two CM-7000s that both died 24 hours apart, but on the offhand chance I don't succeed, I'm wondering what my next options are. What OTA converters are still for sale that provide S-Video output and that ReplayTV can tune subchannels via the IR Blaster? The CM-7000 did both of these, but it doesn't look like it's for sale anywhere anymore.

I'm looking through http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/Additiona...es_Matrix.html as well as what Amazon has for sale and I'll summarize what I find there, but I'm just wondering if there is something known that already works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-07-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
jlv

I guess I should add: available at a reasonable price.

I'd reluctantly give up S-Video, for instance, and use the Zenith DTT901 as mentioned in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170286, but I don't see that available at under $140!
post #3 of 31 Old 04-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Does your cable provider offer a limited basic lineup of just the locals, for example, for a very small fee? And, more importantly, are they still providing NTSC over their cable?
post #4 of 31 Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
jlv

I'm really looking for OTA, not cable. I've got a good price on a FiOS data plan (25/25), but all the 'offers' they send me to include cable cost more and drop the data speed. And the OTA digital ATSC quality is superb.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
jlv

Any recommendations? Can any of these tune subchannels (by using 3 or 4 digit channels)?

(ClearToLand's original thread)

Works with subchannels (but not available for sale inexpensively):
Channel Master CM-7000 (see this thread for help fixing a dead CM-7000)
Zenith DTT901

Currently available for sale:
    tune subchannels?(*) notes
Zinwell ZAT-970A $40 Yes RID file S7951 or RID file C1003 (but see thread below for issues)
Magnavox DTV $39    
Access HD 1080D $30 +$5.50s/h   product page
Apex DT250A $30 +$11s/h no? iirc, this is just like the DT502 and the Replay won't be able to tune subchannels
iView 2000STB $35    
iView 1000STB $36 +$8s/h   product page
Supersonic Converter Box Sc55 $42.43    
(*)e.g., tunes a subchannel by sending 3 or 4 digits, without the need of a "." or "-" (thus avoiding the "unused digit" hack described below)
SD_Shadow likes this.
post #6 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Liked: 10
I don't mean to change the subject (so you can answer in a private message), but were you able to use the ir blaster to control the Zenith after you uploaded codes to the photo partition, or did you find existing codes that worked? If so, can you share which ones? I was under the impression that no existing codes could control the Zenith at all, that you had to upload new ones.

Thanks!
post #7 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
jlv

I merely found reports that it was able to work -- it may have required new IR blaster codes; I don't recall. I updated the IR blaster codes for the CM-7000, and with WiRNS it is relatively simple to do.

I'm even willing to try and make (or update) the .RID file for a device, if I knew it worked for 3 digits to tune a subchannel.
post #8 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlv View Post

I'm even willing to try and make (or update) the .RID file for a device, if I knew it worked for 3 digits to tune a subchannel.

I think we've touched on this subject before, but a RTV can be made to work any D2A converter, but you'll need a custom blaster file, and some luck....

We know the RTV does not accept dashes. But, if you can determine that one digit between zero and nine is NOT used in your market, you can map the hash (-) to that digit, make a custom blaster file that sends (-) instead of the digit, and use WiRNS to re-map channels to four digits, you are good to go.

For example, in the New York Market, digits 6 and 8 are not used (primarily). Therefore, all the sub-channels on 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 21, 31, 41, 47, 55 can be mapped by substituting a 6 or an 8 for the -.

i.e.:

Channel 2-1 becomes 281.
Channel 4-4 becomes 484.
Channel 11-3 becomes 1183.

Not trivial, but not difficult. You need some luck in your market and hope you have an unused digit....

Cheers!
-Doug
post #9 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
jlv

Wow... that's twisted, but I guess it would work. How I'd explain that to the wife is a different story.

9 (and 0) are the only numbers not used by a station I care about. OK, this is a possibility.

Thanks!
post #10 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow... that's twisted, but I guess it would work. How I'd explain that to the wife is a different story.

9 (and 0) are the only numbers not used by a station I care about. OK, this is a possibility.

Thanks!

You could use WiRNS to change the call signs of the stations to something that helps, unless you NEED to have WNBC-DT4 or something similar.... Here is an example for the NY market.
WPIX Channel 11 has 4 subchannels.
WPIXDT, 11-1
WPIXDT2, 11-2
WPIXDT3, 11-3
WPIXDT4, 11-4

If I was going to use "8" as my hash, I'd have the WiRNS channel map file read:
WPIXDT, 11-1, ,1181
WPIXDT2, 11-2, ,1182
WPIXDT3, 11-3, ,1183
WPIXDT4, 11-4, ,1184

But Then I could also change the call sign for the station:
WPIXDT, 11-1, WPIX,1181
WPIXDT2, 11-2, Estrl,1182
WPIXDT3, 11-3, ThisTV,1183
WPIXDT4, 11-4, AntTV,1184

or...
WPIXDT, 11-1, 11-1,1181
WPIXDT2, 11-2, 11-2,1182
WPIXDT3, 11-3, 11-3,1183
WPIXDT4, 11-4, 11-4,1184

The channels will still sort in the same order. Do whatever helps you find your station....

Cheers!
-Doug
post #11 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

You could use WiRNS to change the call signs of the stations to something that helps...

...But Then I could also change the call sign for the station:
WPIXDT, 11-1, WPIX,1181
WPIXDT2, 11-2, Estrl,1182
WPIXDT3, 11-3, ThisTV,1183
WPIXDT4, 11-4, AntTV,1184

+1

Back in ~2005-2006 I had a difficult time getting WiRNS 1.2x+ to stay running on a Pentium 233 with Win98. Eventually I tried WiRNS 2.0.0.0 on a P4 2.4GHz and its been MUCH more stable. So much so that since the 'False Mayday' back in June 2011, I set up Channel Mapping, using the method I quoted, to restrict two FiOS Guides to:
  1. ONLY the Clear QAM channels that I can receive on my Magnavox DVDRs.

NOTE: I had 3 PCs crash, one-a-day, one right after the other back in the end of March. I got my Gateway6400 DVArchive / Print / File / Music server back up first, I got my Dell4100 Workstation (that crashed around 2007) back up second, but since I'm now totally dependent on WiRNS I can't get my Dell400SC IVSMagic / WiRNS server back up (with a repair - I HESITATE to do a full format; it takes SO LONG to set up a PC just the way you want it).

Thus, until I get the Dell400SC back up, I further limit #1 at each ReplayTV 5XXX to just one channel each - CBS, NBC, ABC - and set the DVDR to record the appropriate channel daily at 8-Hr mode for 18:30 and 23:00 News and 20:00-23:00 Prime Time. This feeds 16x9 Anamorphic via S-Video to the ReplayTVs which record it @ Medium. Works good until I can get the .RID I created installed and debugged. Can't find a discrete 'Power ON' for the DVDRs so I have to re-map 'Eject Tray' to turn them on. Anyway, it's a fun project that I'm looking forward to completing. Along with finally building a 'Coat Hanger UHF Antenna', putting it up into the attic (~24 miles from the Empire State Building) and playing with my collection of "$40 Coupon' CECBs (~12 IIRC) that I WISELY assembled back in ~2009, IIRC.
  2. ONLY the actually channels that I subscribe to on my FiOS 'FREE for 1 year' Motorola 7232 DVR and Motorola 2500 STB.
As you pointed out, 'AntTV' is much beter than 'WPIXDT4'. WLIW is the same with the regular 'PBS', then 'Create' and 'World'.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #12 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I should add: available at a reasonable price.

I'd reluctantly give up S-Video, for instance, and use the Zenith DTT901 as mentioned in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170286, but I don't see that available at under $140!

Around 3-4 years ago, I looked into DVDRs with ATSC / QAM tuners. My first purchase was a $99 'Open Box' Panasonic DMR EZ-17 @ Target. Using DVD-RAM discs, I was able to enable 'Chase Play' and it was nice - BUT, it didn't have a HDD.

While reading the AVS DVDR Forum for tips on the EZ-17, I discovered a devoted community to the Magnavox DVDRs - 2160 at the time. I bought 1 new from Walmart ~$230?), and then a year or so later 1 refurbished from J&R (~$160). Even though they're SD, not HD, the 16x9 Anamorphic 'Prime Time' recorded @ SP looks fine to my 'Over a Half-Century' eyes from the couch ~12' away. Sure you can see the graininess @ 2' but I don't watch shows from 2'. Plus there have been several EXCELLENT PBS Masterpiece Theater series (i.e. Downton Abbey Seasons 1 & 2) that I have recorded, edited out the 'fluff' and burned to DVD to watch again a few years from now. I have ~1TB of STD Analog shows saved on several DVArchive instances that now look like CR@P on the new LCD HDTVs, so except for the YEARS of Cooking and Home Repair shows that I plan to export to DVDs, the rest is going to be 'canned' and I'll start anew with the 16x9 Anamorpic @ MEDIUM shows. Time moves on...

I posting all this because you too might want to give the Magnavox DVDRs a look. Sadly, they've been discontinued. So, while I was able to purchase refurbished 513s for ~$170 and refurbished 515s for ~$200 @ J&R, SCALPERS seem to now be buying as many as randomly appear @ J&R and then attempting to resell them @ ~$300-400+ on eBay and Amazon Marketplace. Any way to make a buck, even at the expense of other fellow human beings.

At least take a look and see what you think. I'm sad to read that the Channel Master 7000 turned out to be such poor quality. I thought that would be my MAIN box. Luckily, Whitebar has documented the 'Repair Procedure' for WHEN (not IF) mine die.

Good Luck!

post #13 of 31 Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
jlv

It looks like the there is a RID file for the Zinwell. Someone I know has one and is giving it to me, so I'll be able to test it over the weekend.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-26-2012, 03:11 PM

I am a total dummy. I own several harddrive-upgraded SonicBlues. Right now, I'm paying for a cable settop box to feed each Replay.

I've tried FIOS, and Comcast DVRs, but their version of the "TV Guide/Schedule a recording" is so crude and user-unfriendly compared to the Replay, that I've gone back to plain STBs for each Repaly. But I hate, hate, hate spending that kind of money.

I have a Zinwell ZAT-970A Digital to Analog TV Converter Box (for Antenna Use), and an antenna that works well with it (Mohu MH-ANT-1000). I've figured out how to make them talk to my TV, but don't know how to make them talk to my ReplayTV. I guess the problem is figuring out how to make the IR Blaster work with the Zinwell. I did find a comment on Amazon about the Zinwell that said: "The TiVo Series 2 I have is compatible with this unit, but note that I had to input an "IR Code" into the TiVo (used IR code 10112)."

I'm *certain* I will never be able to figure out how to use the various software things you techies have invented. I've been reading these forum messages for years, and just don't seem to have what it takes.

So, is there any configuration of gadgets that is simple enough for a total dummy to just plug into one another to make a SonicBlue work with an over-the-air antenna? (BTW, I did pay for that great service that some of you techies created, which if I remember right, made the translation of TV station numbers from NTSC to ATSC numbers. If that's the only answer, I'll re-up with it,if I can remember what that service was called.) But would that resolve all my IR Blaster problems?
post #15 of 31 Old 04-26-2012, 03:51 PM

Downloadable RID file found on "JP1 Remotes::File Section"

"Rid file for using the ZAT-970A DTV box with a ReplayTV. Based on the Zinwell_ZAT_970A.rmdu file posted on this site."

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...4cbb658e09b3f2
post #16 of 31 Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
jlv

I'm successfully using a Zinwell ZAT 970A. I'm using a modified version of the RID listed above; using RIDgen, I changed the type to Cable and the code to 1003. You can get mine in the JP1 files section.

(The S7951 RID above one should work, but I didn't want to change my setup from "Cable" to "Satellite" in case it caused any heartburn with my existing recording schedules. Probably not necessary, but I was just being cautious).

The 970A appears to work fine. Channel changing is quicker than with the CM-7000. I've seen one weirdness where, via the Replay, using channel-down multiple times caused the 970A to display the setup screen. I wasn't able to make it happen again.

The big downside to the 970A is that is only does composite video. I see a noticeable difference in quality from the CM-7000, where I used S-video instead.

When my CM-7000s are back working again, I'll compare them side-by-side.
post #17 of 31 Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
jlv

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyss View Post

I own several harddrive-upgraded SonicBlues. Right now, I'm paying for a cable settop box to feed each Replay.
So, is there any configuration of gadgets that is simple enough for a total dummy to just plug into one another to make a SonicBlue work with an over-the-air antenna? (BTW, I did pay for that great service that some of you techies created, which if I remember right, made the translation of TV station numbers from NTSC to ATSC numbers. If that's the only answer, I'll re-up with it,if I can remember what that service was called.) But would that resolve all my IR Blaster problems?

(by SonicBlue's, I'm guessing you might mean a 4k unit).

It's possible to add new IR Blaster codes - the master thread to start from: [How-Do-I] Control My NEW OTA / CABLE Digital STB With My OLD ReplayTV?

I'm guessing the service you refer to is LAHO -- which has it's own forum at http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=46. I think the LAHO folks (whom are well known here) may even have a way to download new IR blaster data into your Replay's so that you just need to enter the new IR code in the Replay's setup. If so, that would be your simplest, non-techie answer.

If you didn't use LAHO, you'd need a way to get updated guide listings into your units. The best way is with WiRNS. Using that, I'm able to take the DNNA guide data, select a cable provider with all the OTA stations, and remap the channel numbers so that they are usable to tune the OTA converter. Thus, my OTA digital channels like 2-1 and 7-2 become 021 and 072. And WiRNS feeds that modified data to my units.

I also utilized WiRNS to copy the new IR Blaster RID file onto my units, and supply the commands to make the Replay install it. Once installed, I was simply able to enter the new IR code in the Replay's seutp.
post #18 of 31 Old 04-30-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

jlv,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

...At least take a look and see what you think...

While I appreciate that you pointed folks to my FAQ #45 entry regarding CECBs / STBs ([How-Do-I] Control My NEW OTA / CABLE Digital STB With My OLD ReplayTV?) as the "...master thread to start from...", I'm disappointed that you didn't take the time to reply, positive or negative, to my Magnavox DVDR suggestion.

IMHO, it really is a *GREAT*, relatively-low-cost 16:9A ATSC / 'Clear QAM' tuner and it's *VERY* sad that market demand convinced Funai / Magnavox to discontinue production.

Realistically, even if I continue to buy as many "Reasonably-Priced" Spare 5XXXs as I can find, *EVENTUALLY*, one day, that "Beautiful / Wonderously Simple" Method of recording TV Shows *WILL* die. And, as I see it now, with Funai / Magnavox discontinuing production of their DVDRs, the *ONLY* option remaining will be PAY-PER-MONTH DVRs. Of which, the "Pay-Once" $600 TiVo appears to be the best alternative if you ever wish to burn a DVD and/or BR copy of something that you would like to watch again.

Comments (from *ANYONE*)?

post #19 of 31 Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
jlv

As I said above, I got gifted a pair of Zinwell ZAT 970As. While they worked, the picture they gave me was marginal. I got my CM-7000s back from Whitebar yesterday and back into service with my RTVs last. No surprise, but the S-Video on the CM-7000 that looks remarkably better than the composite-out from the Zinwell.

(I think the $50 I sent to Whitebar for his help repairing my CM-7000s was well worth it!)

I also had a second instance of the Zinwell going into the setup when the RTV started recording a show. It caused my wife to miss 30 minutes of Dancing With the Stars. She made it clear to me that was not acceptable! I'm not sure if it's a problem with the RID (e.g., more inter-digit delay) or interference from some other IR source (the Sony TV?).

So, I'm happy not to be using the Zinwell anymore and am back using the CM-7000s.
post #20 of 31 Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
jlv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

I'm disappointed that you didn't take the time to reply, positive or negative, to my Magnavox DVDR suggestion.

Well, I didn't comment because I didn't think I had anything useful to say about it. I also didn't want to be recording onto DVDRs, and I wasn't looking for an ATSC converter solution for my ReplayTVs that was anywhere near $100.

While I've been happy with medium recordings of shows via the CM-7000, I realize that at some point my ReplayTVs will need to be replaced. I still love them for the ease of watching that they provide, whether for locally recorded shows or streamed shows (including from DVArchive & WiRNS). I far prefer to convert shows to MPEG2 for viewing via the RTV, rather than using any of the UPnP or DLNA setups I've tried.

A year and a half ago I picked up an HDHomeRun Dual for about $80. It's a dual ATSC(/ClearQAM), network-connected tuner (mine is a 2nd gen; the 3rd gen sells for about $110, and their "Prime" 3-tuner cable-card unit is about $220). It works perfectly, and any computer in the house can access a tuner over the network. For now, I've been using it to feed either a MythTV backend and WMC, and then viewing the resulting recordings via DLNA to my TV or (after converting to MPEG2) via my RTVs. That is, I don't have either system directly connected to my TV.

I plan to use the HDHomeRun full-time when I build a DVR to replace my RTVs. I'm looking at it costing somewhere under $400 (based upon what I've been reading in the HTPC forum).
post #21 of 31 Old 12-17-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

So I was browsing a newegg email, and this converter box came up:

iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box with Recording and Media Playback
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882037002&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL121713&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL121713-_-EMC-121713-Index-_-SatelliteTVAccessories-_-82037002-L017A

There is a 80+ page thread here at AVS.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread

It would appear that the original revision of the box did not come with a remote that had a (-) or (.), and therefore needed someone to enter 3 or 4 digits to tune subs...

This box also has a DVR function that will send the stream being tuned to an external HD via USB...

But does anyone have this box, and if so, is there a set of IR Codes that can be used with Replays? Since the box doesn't need a (-) or (.) to tune subs, it would appear to be a good replacement. And under $50, too?

Cheers!
-Doug
post #22 of 31 Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can still find CM7000 OTA D2A converter boxes on Ebay. I just looked. I have 2 of those myself and still use 1 for OTA recording on Replay. It's IR code is directly supported by Replay, so no need to download and install a new rid file. It also outputs s-video which gives you a far better picture then analog or channel 3.

But... you do need Wirns in order to get your sub-channels. In Wirns you just put 032 as the channel for channel 3 sub-channel 2, etc, etc. It works perfectly. Only thing you may need to do is customize Replay to make sure it always sends the correct number of digits, but it does not need to send a "." or "-" or anything like that. I did have to mess with it awhile to get it right and I did that a couple of years ago, so don't recall all the details. But it works just fine and is very reliable.

Of course the key is finding a working CM7000. I'm not selling mine as I may need them some day.

But before I need it I will probably be on a HTPC box so I can get everything I want in HD.

Good luck.
post #23 of 31 Old 12-19-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHarry View Post

You can still find CM7000 OTA D2A converter boxes on Ebay. I just looked. I have 2 of those myself and still use 1 for OTA recording on Replay. It's IR code is directly supported by Replay, so no need to download and install a new rid file. It also outputs s-video which gives you a far better picture then analog or channel 3.

But... you do need Wirns in order to get your sub-channels. In Wirns you just put 032 as the channel for channel 3 sub-channel 2, etc, etc. It works perfectly. Only thing you may need to do is customize Replay to make sure it always sends the correct number of digits, but it does not need to send a "." or "-" or anything like that. I did have to mess with it awhile to get it right and I did that a couple of years ago, so don't recall all the details. But it works just fine and is very reliable.

Of course the key is finding a working CM7000. I'm not selling mine as I may need them some day.

But before I need it I will probably be on a HTPC box so I can get everything I want in HD.

Good luck.

I am not looking to buy. I have two CM 7000s myself that have been recapped, so they should last another 10 years should I need to continue using them.

I was more or less curious if anyone had one and was playing around with it...

Cheers!
-Doug
post #24 of 31 Old 12-19-2013, 07:04 PM

I got an iView 3500STB last summer with the intention of trying it out with my Replaytv's. I was unsuccessful in my search on-line for a useable remote code at that time, so my plan was to fool around with it when time permitted. So far, time hasn't permitted!

Jim
post #25 of 31 Old 12-22-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweinel View Post

I got an iView 3500STB last summer with the intention of trying it out with my Replaytv's. I was unsuccessful in my search on-line for a useable remote code at that time, so my plan was to fool around with it when time permitted. So far, time hasn't permitted!
JP1 File Section:
  1. iView 3500STB - Submitted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:19 am
  2. RM file for the iView 3500 - Submitted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:32 am
Happy Holidays! smile.gif

post #26 of 31 Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 PM

ClearToLand, thanks for the links to the recent JP1 files for the 3500STB.

Merry Christmas!

Jim
post #27 of 31 Old 12-27-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

So I was browsing a newegg email, and this converter box came up:

iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box with Recording and Media Playback
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882037002&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL121713&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL121713-_-EMC-121713-Index-_-SatelliteTVAccessories-_-82037002-L017A

There is a 80+ page thread here at AVS.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread

Cheers!
-Doug

Thanks for this tip. I ordered one on 12/23 from Newegg for $32 and free shipping. It arrived 21 hours later eek.gif .

I have basic cable with Brighthouse that sends analog and digital over the air stations. I've been using my Replays but obviously they don't get the digital, so I've been thinking about what to do. I'm going to try using this to do simple recording of the digital signals, and keep the Replay going for the guide/ zones and analog (that this box can't see).
post #28 of 31 Old 12-27-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

JP1 File Section:
  1. iView 3500STB - Submitted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:19 am
  2. RM file for the iView 3500 - Submitted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:32 am
Happy Holidays! smile.gif

Thank you!

But can we get .rid's / .obj'sfor RTV's?

Cheers!
-Doug
post #29 of 31 Old 04-12-2014, 06:31 PM

I have the CM-7000 and a Samsung unit. The CM-7000 has a more sensitive tuner and the Samsung is sitting at the moment as my backup. When my CM-7000 died, I sent it to WhiteBar who repopulated the capacitors. This fixed my unit, in fact better than when I first got it used. If he is still doing this repair, I'd recommend him. He was excellent to deal with - even send back the removed capacitors. Good luck with your repairs.

P.S. - Just noticed this was not a current "April" post. eek.gif
post #30 of 31 Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark888 View Post

I have the CM-7000 ... When my CM-7000 died, I sent it to WhiteBar who repopulated the capacitors. This fixed my unit, in fact better than when I first got it used. If he is still doing this repair, I'd recommend him. He was excellent to deal with - even send back the removed capacitors:

I can confirm ALL of the above re: Whitebar's service quality. About a month ago, not wanting to be stuck, down the road, when one of my CM-7000s died, I inquired and was happy to learn that he *is* still offering this repair service. He's already repaired a couple broken units I'd purchased off eBay (they're working great!) and I've begun shipping him my healthy, still-working units to mitigate the risk (especially since they're all remote and hours away).

edit: p.s. Since I'm here, I'm running 2 CM-7000s at my place (considering 1 more); 2 at my mom's; and will be running 3 at my sister's (migrating her off Comcast) -- each paired with a 5000 series Replay unit.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page