post #31 of 35 Old 05-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

Why not XBox?

The new Slim models are quiet and bulletproof for this application, and you can find them for as little as $135 if you're careful.

Adam1991, I'm going to try the xbox as an extender. What did you mean about the "if you are careful" comment?

I see some on Craigslit locally that I'd try if I knew what to look for.

I'd look for a 360 slim with 4GB. Is there any thing else I need? If it is strictly for an extender, do I even need a controller? Do they have AV and HDMI outputs?

GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 05-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I mean, Amazon sometimes has them on sale plus giving an Amazon gift card on top of that.

You don't need anything more than the most basic 4GB, no-hard-drive Slim. Yes to HDMI and composite. You don't need a controller; all you need is a simple Media Center remote control. There's an XBox Universal Media Remote that works great; get the older white one, not the newer black one.

Mine are strictly extenders. They boot into MC, and that's that. With the remote, I can easily also use the DVD player. It's nice to have that.
post #33 of 35 Old 05-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:

I mean, Amazon sometimes has them on sale plus giving an Amazon gift card on top of that.

You don't need anything more than the most basic 4GB, no-hard-drive Slim. Yes to HDMI and composite. You don't need a controller; all you need is a simple Media Center remote control. There's an XBox Universal Media Remote that works great; get the older white one, not the newer black one.

Mine are strictly extenders. They boot into MC, and that's that. With the remote, I can easily also use the DVD player. It's nice to have that.

Thanks. I picked up a 4GB basic version at Fry's for $179 with a $20 gift card. (so $159 plus the tax at $179).

It works great so far. One more question. I'm using a Harmony remote. It seems the "media" command will turn on the xbox. What command will turn it off again? I want to have it turn off so that if it was last being used for live TV, I want to free up the tuner it was using. I try to avoid the power toggle commands when possible because if it was already off, it will turn it back on. Is there a command in the Media Center SE set to turn it off?

GB
post #34 of 35 Old 05-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I use a Harmony 300; one of the buttons is for the XBox, and the power button simply toggles the XBox on and off.

I'm not sure. I don't use the event-based stuff on the Harmony.

Can you set something up to press "stop" on the extender? At least that will free up the tuner.
post #35 of 35 Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:

I use a Harmony 300; one of the buttons is for the XBox, and the power button simply toggles the XBox on and off.

I'm not sure. I don't use the event-based stuff on the Harmony.

Can you set something up to press "stop" on the extender? At least that will free up the tuner.

I gave up trying to find a discrete off commend so I set it up to use the powertoggle for shutting it off. It's fine. The "media" command starts the xbox and if I assume it's still on when I select power on the remote, it will shut down the xbox.

I watch recorded TV 99% of the time anyway so it's not likely to ever hang up a channel on the tuner. I was just trying to set it up so it works consitantly. Power toggle can really mess things up when automating things.

GB
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page