No Audio on Replay TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So recently, I had to install these Comcast DTA-100 boxes because they wanted us to change to digital.

So I did, and I tried to hook it up to my replayTV. However, I finally got it so that the video worked and the replayTV controller could change channels and what not, but then no matter what I did, there was no audio coming out. It was just static. (The DTA box is connected to the replayTV with just the coax cable, and the replayTV is connected to the TV with the regular audio video cables (the yellow, white and red ones, dunno the name))

Anyone know what I could do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is the Replay box tuned to the correct output of the Comcast box (ch3 or ch4)?
post #3 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 02:46 PM

The Comcast DTA has the ability to control the sound volume directly. Normally you program the remote control so its volume buttons send codes to the TV to control the volume there. But if you don't program the remote to do that, the volume buttons speak directly to the DTA and it will actually adjust the sound volume that is being multiplexed into the coax signal. You can tell this by watching the screen while pushing volume up or down. You will see a slider bar appear at the bottom of the screen if the remote is speaking directly to the DTA.

So take an unprogrammed remote, or follow the instructions to "change the volume lock from TV to DTA":
Press and hold SET until red light blinks twice
Enter 993 (red light blinks twice)
Enter 1 (red light blinks 4 times)

Now aim the remote at the DTA and press volume up until the screen shows maximum volume.

If this worked, you definitely don't want the remote control speaking directly to the DTAs volume control. Follow the above instructions except press 2 after the 993 to get the remote talking to the TV again.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post

Is the Replay box tuned to the correct output of the Comcast box (ch3 or ch4)?

Yes its correctly tuned to ch3 (The video works fine, so I think its correctly tuned)

@empyle
I tried what you said. This only made the amount of static go up and down.

Still need a fix for my problem :/
post #5 of 14 Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

bumb
post #6 of 14 Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
  1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBubz View Post

So recently, I had to install these Comcast DTA-100 boxes because they wanted us to change to digital.

So I did, and I tried to hook it up to my replayTV. However, I finally got it so that the video worked and the replayTV controller could change channels and what not, but then no matter what I did, there was no audio coming out. It was just static. (The DTA box is connected to the replayTV with just the coax cable, and the replayTV is connected to the TV with the regular audio video cables (the yellow, white and red ones...

2. Quote:
    Originally Posted by empyle View Post

The Comcast DTA has the ability to control the sound volume directly. Normally you program the remote control so its volume buttons send codes to the TV to control the volume there. But if you don't program the remote to do that, the volume buttons speak directly to the DTA and it will actually adjust the sound volume that is being multiplexed into the coax signal. You can tell this by watching the screen while pushing volume up or down. You will see a slider bar appear at the bottom of the screen if the remote is speaking directly to the DTA...

3. Quote:

Yes its correctly tuned to ch3 (The video works fine, so I think its correctly tuned)

@empyle
    I tried what you said. This only made the amount of static go up and down...

4. Quote:

bumb

Well, I really thought that empyle nailed it, so let's try "Divide & Conquer" - a troubleshooting method where you pick a point in the middle and verify if BOTH sides are working.
  • If you play a previously recorded ReplayTV show on your TV, do you have sound?
  • Disconnect the OUTPUT of the DTA from the INPUT of the ReplayTV and temporarily connect it to the INPUT of your TV. Tune your TV to Channel 3. Do you have sound?
  • Do you have another DTA that you can try on the 'problematic' ReplayTV? I suggest FIRST verifying the sound using the TV tuned to Channel 3.
Good Luck!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Remember, it's only TV...
post #7 of 14 Old 05-10-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

Well, I really thought that empyle nailed it, so let's try "Divide & Conquer" - a troubleshooting method where you pick a point in the middle and verify if BOTH sides are working.
  • If you play a previously recorded ReplayTV show on your TV, do you have sound?
  • Disconnect the OUTPUT of the DTA from the INPUT of the ReplayTV and temporarily connect it to the INPUT of your TV. Tune your TV to Channel 3. Do you have sound?
  • Do you have another DTA that you can try on the 'problematic' ReplayTV? I suggest FIRST verifying the sound using the TV tuned to Channel 3.
Good Luck!

Ok, well I've tried all that before.

Previously recorded tv shows do have audio.
When the DTA box is connected straight to the TV there is audio,
And I have 2 boxes and I tried it with both of them and neither worked. Both had the same problem, just static instead of sound.

Thanks for your advice, but it did not really shed any light of the problem

I guess that means the only thing left is that there is something wrong with the replayTV not being able to read the digital signal correctly or something. :/

Anyone else have any suggestions?
post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2012, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Ok, well I've tried all that before.

Previously recorded tv shows do have audio.
When the DTA box is connected straight to the TV there is audio,
And I have 2 boxes and I tried it with both of them and neither worked. Both had the same problem, just static instead of sound.

Thanks for your advice, but it did not really shed any light of the problem

I guess that means the only thing left is that there is something wrong with the replayTV not being able to read the digital signal correctly or something. :/

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Does the comcast box have line audio and video out jacks? If it does, try hooking them up to the line 1 or line 2 inputs on the DVR. Then select that input, instead of ch 3, and see if you have audio & video then. I haven't used the tuner in my Replay 2000 for years. I use it to record from satellite dish. In this mode, it will also record in HD.

Don H
post #9 of 14 Old 05-10-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a LANG (language) button on the Comcast remote? If there is, try pressing it.

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #10 of 14 Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does the comcast box have line audio and video out jacks? If it does, try hooking them up to the line 1 or line 2 inputs on the DVR. Then select that input, instead of ch 3, and see if you have audio & video then. I haven't used the tuner in my Replay 2000 for years. I use it to record from satellite dish. In this mode, it will also record in HD.

Don H

Hmm, no. Unfortunately, the comcast box doesn't have line audio and video out jacks. If it did I would have used it. I trust those more than the coax jack it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman View Post

Is there a LANG (language) button on the Comcast remote? If there is, try pressing it.

Tried it, still no change, just a bunch of static coming out.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm going to play around with it for another day, if I can't get it to work I might just have to go shell out some more money for a better box that works with the replayTV.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-11-2012, 09:36 AM

Liked: 12
Another test could be run if you still have a VCR about; it has the same coax input and composite output as the RTV, plus a coax output. The DTA is designed to work with a VCR between itself and the TV, so you could install it in place of the RTV to see if there was a difference in function between the coax and composite outputs.

p.s. Not discussed (but assumed) so far is that the DTA is authorized with Comcast, and that things are no better using the DTA's remote?
post #12 of 14 Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Don H

I regularly record widescreen from a cable box. Tell the box it's connected to a 16x9 TV and actually have a 16x9 TV. The Replay in the middle doesn't affect that. However, it's not HD. While the Replay (later models) do have HD outputs (RGB on 4xxx, YUV on 5xxx), there are no HD inputs.

Mark Lloyd

post #13 of 14 Old 05-14-2012, 09:23 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

I regularly record widescreen from a cable box. Tell the box it's connected to a 16x9 TV and actually have a 16x9 TV. The Replay in the middle doesn't affect that. However, it's not HD.

Still better than a 4x3 picture, so I went through the menu on my Motorola STB looking for such a setting and found none. :-( Perhaps the box is too old (does do digital, though)? Might there be another way to do this?
post #14 of 14 Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Still better than a 4x3 picture, so I went through the menu on my Motorola STB looking for such a setting and found none. :-( Perhaps the box is too old (does do digital, though)? Might there be another way to do this?

Yes, I prefer 16x9 too. Actaully, I currenlty consider that more important than HD. HD is good, but with all this corporate paranoia (misleadingly called "protection") it's less usable.

I have 2 cable boxes here, both Pace models. Both do have the switch, the "Aspect" button on the remote switches the composite output between letterbox and widescreen. However, theres the annoyance that after a power failure it resets to letterbox (WRONG for this Replay setup), also it's a ***** TOGGLE that can't be set right without being able to see the video output (it's normally just connected to the Replay, so it requires some switching).

Mark Lloyd

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page