Can ReplayTV 4500 be used with hotel TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a Replay Tv 4050 that I have been using at home for a number of years. However, I have just moved into an extended stay hotel for the next 3-6 months.

Is there any way to configure the Replay TV to work with the hotel TV system? I have connected the coax cable to the Replay unit, but I can't get the Replay's tuner to recognize the signal - it is not being provided by the usual cable systems in the area. Is there a way to manually tune the Replay to pick up the TV signals?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman56 View Post

Hi,

I have a Replay Tv 4050 that I have been using at home for a number of years. However, I have just moved into an extended stay hotel for the next 3-6 months.

Is there any way to configure the Replay TV to work with the hotel TV system? I have connected the coax cable to the Replay unit, but I can't get the Replay's tuner to recognize the signal - it is not being provided by the usual cable systems in the area. Is there a way to manually tune the Replay to pick up the TV signals?

Thank you

It's possible, BUT you may need additional hardware (like a set top box) and a PC to feed the unit custom guide data... AND a source for the guide data...

There is probably a custom head end for the hotel's TV system. Your solution will be unique.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #3 of 16 Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

A little additional information:

the TV set in the room is a Sony Trinitron KV27FS120 made in 2004. I assume that this set does not have a digital tuner, so the standard tuner (set to "cable") is able to handle the TV source without the need of a set-top box. This would lead me to believe that a set-top box wouldn't be necessary for the replayTV to make use of the signal.

I am having trouble getting the Replay connected to the hotel internet, so I will try dial up as a means of establishing a connection to the replay network.

If I can get the Replay tuner to recognize the signal, I don't mind not having the channel guide data, and just set up manual recordings.

Thanks
post #4 of 16 Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Watchman.

Some PBX's in places like hotels use digital telephones which would not compatible with the Replay tv. If have a problem, that might be what it is.

Good luck.

Don H
post #5 of 16 Old 05-26-2012, 05:31 AM

I am guessing that the hotel system is likely to be all digital and you need a
QAM and/or ASTC tuner to convert to the analog signal needed by our beloved ReplayTVs. This can be done but gets more and more complicated if the hotel also has a custom lineup that would not be available at the mothership server.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-26-2012, 11:11 AM

Have you thought about a cheap OTA digital-2-analog box? Would at least give you some benefits?

Or try a sling-box setup and leave the RPTV at home?
post #7 of 16 Old 05-26-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since your set is so old, you're probably staying at an older place and it's just analog. No reason not to hook it up and manually go through the channels on the Replay. If it works, you've got hope.

There's a chance the hotel just pipes through standard cable. I stayed in a few that did.

The next step is to get guide data... WiRNS with a custom lineup should work. So you'll need a PC as well.

Since it's a 4k plus you'll need WiRNS, you shouldn't need dialup. If you did, most hotel PBXs do support at least 28.8k dialup.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #8 of 16 Old 05-27-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

Since your set is so old, you're probably staying at an older place and it's just analog. No reason not to hook it up and manually go through the channels on the Replay. If it works, you've got hope.

There's a chance the hotel just pipes through standard cable. I stayed in a few that did.

The next step is to get guide data... WiRNS with a custom lineup should work. So you'll need a PC as well.

Since it's a 4k plus you'll need WiRNS, you shouldn't need dialup. If you did, most hotel PBXs do support at least 28.8k dialup.

Robert

You'd need to select a nearby cable system that has an analog lineup so that the RTV will attempt to tune standard cable channels. The fuller the lineup, the better. At least you will know that the RTV's internal tuner can tune the analog channels being provided.

And as suggested, you will need WiRNS to customize the channel lineup.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #9 of 16 Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

There is a chance even if a channel is not in a lineup you can type channel # to tune that channel.

---
post #10 of 16 Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 PM

The Sams Photofact service manual is available for the Sony Trinitron KV27FS120 model, implying that this TV set is a consumer set, not a model specifically designed for hotels. Thus, it should tune the standard over the air and cable channel frequency assignments.

I really can't understand why a hotel would use a nonstandard set of frequency assignments. I am aware that some cable TV systems did assign the lower VHF channels 2-6 differently at one time, but I am quite sure that was done away with, later on. The only reason to do something differently, as best I can tell, would be to secure premium channels, if offered. However, that is usually done with an external box, or a TV model designed for that purpose.

From what you tell me, the TV has video and audio jacks for connecting the ReplayTV. For normal viewing, the TV connects to the hotel's TV room jack without a converter box. I am assuming that you are able to switch the TV to video input and see the ReplayTV screens. You get a message "no video signal detected" when you try to tune in a channel, even though you have detached the hotel's TV coax from the TV and connected it to your ReplayTV.

That said, you might try adding a splitter to feed the hotel TV signal to your ReplayTV and the room TV simultaneously. Both the room TV and the ReplayTV should be able to tune in the same channel.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-28-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap_ncrunch View Post

I really can't understand why a hotel would use a nonstandard set of frequency assignments.

Most hotels I've stayed in have lots of custom channels: hotel information, ads for VOD movies, special features like reviewing your bill, playing games, etc.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-29-2012, 09:05 AM

"Most hotels I've stayed in have lots of custom channels: hotel information, ads for VOD movies, special features like reviewing your bill, playing games, etc."

Yes, but I believe they follow the standard frequency assignments for cable TV, so standard TV tuner hardware can be used.

The hotels may use a "set top" box, or custom TV sets with the equivalent of the set top box built in, to control access to the channels. When you review your account or watch a movie on demand, you are assigned a channel within the hotel's closed system and your box or TV is tuned to that channel. Other sets on the system are restricted from tuning the same channel. However, people have been known to bring their own TV equipment and tune in those channels, e. g. for watching movies on demand ordered by other guests in the hotel. The other guest doesn't know when an eavesdropper is watching the movie he ordered or reviewing his account at the same time he reviews it.

Note that some of the ReplayTV units deliberately do not record programming when Macrovision is present. Macrovision is a non standard sync signal which normally doesn't affect TV sets but wreaks havoc on VCRs when recording. The specific ReplayTV units just detect the non standard sync and shut down the recording, posting a message on the screen. (Earlier ReplayTV units record programs with Macrovision present and reinsert the Macrovision non-standard sync on playback.) The movies on demand may have Macrovision present.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-30-2012, 05:25 PM

Most hotels have some sort of agreement/acknowledgement before you can get out on the internet. Most then use your MAC address to verify that you've accepted their agreement. Since you can't see that page on a Replay, you won't get a connection to the outside world.
There are a number of free programs that will allow you to change your MAC address. Use one to set another device, like a laptop, to the Replay's MAC address and connect through to the internet. Disconnect that device, and plug in the Replay. You should now be able to download the local guides, choosing one that is closest to you actual lineup. You can use manual records if the channel exists but the guide is wrong or Wirns if you want to get fancy. Don't forget to set you device back to its original MAC before you plug it in or you will have a conflict with the Replay.
Jerry
post #14 of 16 Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry1818 View Post

Most hotels have some sort of agreement/acknowledgement before you can get out on the internet. Most then use your MAC address to verify that you've accepted their agreement. Since you can't see that page on a Replay, you won't get a connection to the outside world.

Chances are you'll have a router to share the connection, just like in a residential area.

Remember folks, this is a long-term stay hotel... usually these are more like apartments than "normal" hotels. (most folks haven't stayed in one)

---
post #15 of 16 Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

Chances are you'll have a router to share the connection, just like in a residential area.

Remember folks, this is a long-term stay hotel... usually these are more like apartments than "normal" hotels. (most folks haven't stayed in one)

I actually have had the 'pleasure' of staying in one. Just sharing my experience, in case it might help.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I know that the Replay is having trouble connecting via broadband, and dial up isn't working (it may be a PBX issue). My Tivo Series 2 had no difficulty in getting set up, but it allows me to enter a password to access the wifi network here.

I was surprised that the Replay wouldn't just recognize a basic analog signal (I had it set up at home to get signals both directly from an analog feed and from a set-top box). In any case, I will try the MAC spoofing suggestion and see what happens. I'll let you know.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page