manual repeat recording not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I've accepted that we will no longer get TV listings from ReplayTV networks. Now I want to use my Showstopper as a VCR without connecting to the servers.

I was able to manually enter the clock time using a patch I found in a forum. I thought I'd just have to manually enter the all the show channels, hours, and days but "repeat manual recordings" are not working. What's strange is that my showstopper will record single recordings. I don't understand why it won't record shows that are on Monday-Friday.

Any help would be appreciated. My mom is addicted to this machine. She's practically suffering withdrawal not being to watch her shows without commercials.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedatil4 View Post

... I've accepted that we will no longer get TV listings from ReplayTV networks. Now I want to use my Showstopper as a VCR without connecting to the servers.

I was able to manually enter the clock time using a patch .... but "repeat manual recordings" are not working.

AFAIK, it can't be done; you need to manually enter each show, one by one.

You need to put more effort into getting the RTV network to cough up the listings, using one of the methods suggested earlier in this topic. Once you get it to work, you'll be good to go.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedatil4 View Post

Hello All,

I've accepted that we will no longer get TV listings from ReplayTV networks. Now I want to use my Showstopper as a VCR without connecting to the servers.

I was able to manually enter the clock time using a patch I found in a forum. I thought I'd just have to manually enter the all the show channels, hours, and days but "repeat manual recordings" are not working. What's strange is that my showstopper will record single recordings. I don't understand why it won't record shows that are on Monday-Friday.

Any help would be appreciated. My mom is addicted to this machine. She's practically suffering withdrawal not being to watch her shows without commercials.

Thank you.

You may have the right time. But, are you on the right date? Calls to the mother ship are the best way to keep that right.

Don H

By the way, who says were not getting TV listings any more? I'm getting mine pretty regularly. If it fails at night, I can get it the next morning.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

AFAIK, it can't be done; you need to manually enter each show, one by one.

You need to put more effort into getting the RTV network to cough up the listings, using one of the methods suggested earlier in this topic. Once you get it to work, you'll be good to go.

Repeat manual recording work for me, 5 days a week, and never fail (knock on wood). Explain what kind of problems you're having. Are the date and time correct on your machine?

Don H
post #5 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post

Repeat manual recording work for me, 5 days a week, and never fail (knock on wood). Explain what kind of problems you're having. Are the date and time correct on your machine?

Don H

To be specific, I meant to say that if you have no Channel Guide listings on your RTV, then you cannot do repeat manual recordings, even if your date and time are ok.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-31-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

To be specific, I meant to say that if you have no Channel Guide listings on your RTV, then you cannot do repeat manual recordings, even if your date and time are ok.

I was in that situation back when RTV was trying to shut us down. But once I got the listings working again, I haven't had that trouble. If the downloads fail at night, which rarely happens, I get them with no trouble in the morning.
I was also having date and time issues when they were trying to shut us down. I remember trying to get the guide to download by blowing away the existing guide, and that reset the clock/date back to 1990. Until I got the guide fixed, I couldn't record at all. You need to work at getting the guide working. This sometimes means getting the guide from other telephone areas. This means paying toll charges on your phone. I have unlimited long distance, so for me, it's not an issue. As long as you keep your zip code correct for your area, you will get the correct listings.

Post here if I can help you.

Don H.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post

I was in that situation back when RTV was trying to shut us down. But once I got the listings working again, I haven't had that trouble. ... Don H.

Exactly, and the original poster had no Guide, wanted to do repeat recordings like a VCR, and couldn't do it, understandably.

Interesting how these discussions linger on so long after the original poster has gone MIA.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hello All but specifically wtkflhn and gring40,

I was out of the country for three weeks. I didn't have time to fix my ReplayTV device until now.

I finally got it to download the channel guide and record repeating shows! :-) What I did, based on your suggestions, is:

- cleared the channel guide using the 243-zones screen
- went to menu and temporarily changed to a nearby phone number prefix and zip code
- that makes the ReplayTV download a new list of access numbers
- forced a net connect using the 243-zones screen
- went to menu again to change back to my real phone number prefix and zip code
- that made the ReplayTV download my original list of access numbers
- forced another net connect to make sure the original access number is working

Thankfully the ReplayTV device kept my hide/show channel settings after clearing the channel guide.

However, it still sucks that ReplayTV requires an active channel guide to perform a repeating manual record. Someday, hopefully not soon, we won't be able to download a channel guide. At some point in the future we'll need to be able to use a ReplayTV machine without it calling a server. I read about a 49152-zone option to make it an "expensive VCR". However, I didn't try it because I didn't want to risk the progress I made. It would be great if someone could write about their experiences using 49152-zones.

Thanks for your help on this.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedatil4 View Post

Hello All but specifically wtkflhn and gring40,
I was out of the country for three weeks. I didn't have time to fix my ReplayTV device until now.
I finally got it to download the channel guide and record repeating shows! :-) What I did, based on your suggestions, is:
- cleared the channel guide using the 243-zones screen
- went to menu and temporarily changed to a nearby phone number prefix and zip code
- that makes the ReplayTV download a new list of access numbers
- forced a net connect using the 243-zones screen
- went to menu again to change back to my real phone number prefix and zip code
- that made the ReplayTV download my original list of access numbers
- forced another net connect to make sure the original access number is working
Thankfully the ReplayTV device kept my hide/show channel settings after clearing the channel guide.
However, it still sucks that ReplayTV requires an active channel guide to perform a repeating manual record. Someday, hopefully not soon, we won't be able to download a channel guide. At some point in the future we'll need to be able to use a ReplayTV machine without it calling a server. I read about a 49152-zone option to make it an "expensive VCR". However, I didn't try it because I didn't want to risk the progress I made. It would be great if someone could write about their experiences using 49152-zones.
Thanks for your help on this.

You're welcome. Glad it worked out for you!
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page