Hello All but specifically wtkflhn and gring40,
I was out of the country for three weeks. I didn't have time to fix my ReplayTV device until now.
I finally got it to download the channel guide and record repeating shows! :-) What I did, based on your suggestions, is:
- cleared the channel guide using the 243-zones screen
- went to menu and temporarily changed to a nearby phone number prefix and zip code
- that makes the ReplayTV download a new list of access numbers
- forced a net connect using the 243-zones screen
- went to menu again to change back to my real phone number prefix and zip code
- that made the ReplayTV download my original list of access numbers
- forced another net connect to make sure the original access number is working
Thankfully the ReplayTV device kept my hide/show channel settings after clearing the channel guide.
However, it still sucks that ReplayTV requires an active channel guide to perform a repeating manual record. Someday, hopefully not soon, we won't be able to download a channel guide. At some point in the future we'll need to be able to use a ReplayTV machine without it calling a server. I read about a 49152-zone option to make it an "expensive VCR". However, I didn't try it because I didn't want to risk the progress I made. It would be great if someone could write about their experiences using 49152-zones.
Thanks for your help on this.