RTV gets stuck and then reboots - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-13-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Once or twice a week I'll be watching a recorded program, and my 5504 will get stuck, repeating the same from an a fraction of a second of audio over and over. It will do this for about a minute, and then finally reboot.

This sounds like it may be the disk corruption problem mentioned on Mikeyboy's site. But after it reboots, I can play the same show just fine, so I don't think it's a bad spot in that file. I also think it has happened when I was watching a show streaming from a networked RTV.

Does this sound like a power supply problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
My guess is the hard disk. Intermittent problems on a failing hard drive are common.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2012, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
that happens to me when im watching a recording show. i just watch a recorded show until the recording ones done and alls well. i think it hAS to do with heavy internet traffic screwing with the tiny chip these things have,smile.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't noticed it happening specifically when watching the show that's being recorded. But I think it's always when I'm watching and recording at the same time. Often the show I'm watching is being streamed from my other unit -- it might even be always, I haven't kept track.

But I was on vacation for a week and a half, and it doesn't look like it rebooted in the middle of any of the shows it recorded while I was away -- there are no short recordings during that time.

It's been doing it more and more often, so I'm going to get a new disk.

post #5 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmar View Post

I haven't noticed it happening specifically when watching the show that's being recorded. But I think it's always when I'm watching and recording at the same time. Often the show I'm watching is being streamed from my other unit -- it might even be always, I haven't kept track.

But I was on vacation for a week and a half, and it doesn't look like it rebooted in the middle of any of the shows it recorded while I was away -- there are no short recordings during that time.

It's been doing it more and more often, so I'm going to get a new disk.

This typically happens when you view the Replay Guide of a remote RTV while the local RTV is recording and the remote RTV has more than something like 120 shows stored on it. So, if that's the case, you don't need a new hard drive, just fewer shows stored on your remote RTV.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This typically happens when you view the Replay Guide of a remote RTV while the local RTV is recording and the remote RTV has more than something like 120 shows stored on it. So, if that's the case, you don't need a new hard drive, just fewer shows stored on your remote RTV.

But that's not when the problem happens. It's always when a show is playing, I'm not even touching the remote. And the remote machine only has about 60 shows stored on it.

Anyway, I put the new disk in today, we'll see how it goes.

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page