WinDVA2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally got around to upgrading my machine at home, and went from a WinXP machine to a Win7 machine. In doing so, found that WinDVA no longer worked.

So, I came up with WinDVA2. It's my attempt to replicate what was done by j.m. in 2004 in his original WinDVA. However, I do not currently have the option of installing it as a service.

I also wanted it to add similar functionality for programs other than DVArchive. (I have a Weather Station that updates a website with the weather info every so often).

You can download the program and documentation in the zip file located here:
http://www.gerfsc.com/WinDVA2/WinDVA2.zip

If you'd like to give a whirl, please let me know of any issues. It is currently working for me.

Rob

Thanks: ijprest, waynethedvrguy, Remmer99, hdonzis, gduprey, LeeThompson, j.m., archdog99, FlipFlop, The Dreamer, chriv and all the other Replay Hackers out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Rob,
Just saw your new version of WinDVA and have it downloaded but will have to wait until the AM when my wife is not on that computer to try it out. I am curious what problem you had with the initial version on Windows 7 as that is exactly where I'm using the older version already. While I may have had problems (cannot recall off hand) when I upgraded to Windows 7 my copy in running well there and was interested in hearing your issues. I have just in the past few days started having trouble in DVA itself that I do not believe have anything to do with me running it under WinDVA nor with running on Windows 7 as this setup has been running there for a year or more without incident. The DVA issue I'm having (in case you know how it might be related to either the older WinDVA or to Windows 7, and might be resolved using WinDVA2) is it cannot get TVGUIDE updates. The exact error I see in the message window of DVA is:

ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Error doing periodic TV Listings update -- Error receiving providers -- Connection establishment timed out

I have searched for this and Gary indicated it could be a corrupt DVA_TV.xml file but the issue he spoke of presumable was fixed in DVA 3.2 according to that posting and the work around of removing the DVA_TV.xml file he offered there did not help in my case. Trying to resolve that issue was how I came upon your posting in Planet Replay and to this posting in AVS.

Simply one man's opinion!
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

If you have WinDVA running under Win7 and have been running DVArchive well for a while, then I doubt my version will fix your problem/issue with downloading guide info.

I just couldn't get WinDVA to work. I installed it several times, and tried different compatibility mode settings, and gave up. I figured it was an issue running under Win7, and thought I remembered some posts relating to this:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1308732/windva-in-win7-source-code
http://www.dvarchive.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

If you don't mind me asking what version and bit-ness of Win7 are you running? Are you running WinDVA as a service or as an app? And, do you have any compatibility settings on your WinDVA when it runs.

Rob

Thanks: ijprest, waynethedvrguy, Remmer99, hdonzis, gduprey, LeeThompson, j.m., archdog99, FlipFlop, The Dreamer, chriv and all the other Replay Hackers out there.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlichtefeld View Post

I finally got around to upgrading my machine at home, and went from a WinXP machine to a Win7 machine. In doing so, found that WinDVA no longer worked.
So, I came up with WinDVA2. It's my attempt to replicate what was done by j.m. in 2004 in his original WinDVA. However, I do not currently have the option of installing it as a service.
I also wanted it to add similar functionality for programs other than DVArchive. (I have a Weather Station that updates a website with the weather info every so often).
You can download the program and documentation in the zip file located here:
http://www.gerfsc.com/WinDVA2/WinDVA2.zip
If you'd like to give a whirl, please let me know of any issues. It is currently working for me.
Rob

I think there may be a problem running DVArchive with JRE7. I've been running WinDVA for a quite a while on XP with JRE6 and it suddenly stopped working recently after I installed JRE7.

Fortunately, I didn't uninstall JRE6 and pointed WinDVA2 at that and it is working on XP (I tried with both). I probably could have pointed WinDVA at JRE6 (or maybe I had DVArchive finding the latest) and been OK but I have it working with WinDVA2 now so I think I'll leave it.

Thanks for updating!
post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 PM

I don't know if this will help, but I am currently running DVArchive 3.2 under Windows XP SP2 with JRE 1.7.0_07-b11 to access my Replay 5040 and 5080 player units, two of which have much larger than stock hard drives (replaced after factory drives failed).

I'm also running DVArchive 3.2 under OpenSUSE 12.2 x64 Linux with JRE Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode)

On both platforms I'm able to play shows onscreen through DVArchive 3.2 using VLC media player 2.0.3.

This provides a very convenient way for me to watch News and Good Morning America with stereo sound (headphones or speakers) on either of the dual computer screens in a VLC window while I do other things with the computer(s). Random time index seek (moving the VLC slider) to avoid commercials also works seamlessly. With today's computers, none of the processors goes over 10% usage while playing shows. I believe this is partly because the fan-less NVIDIA GT520 type display card I'm using is doing the MPEG decompression for MPEG1, MPEG2, and MPEG4 (and x264) media streams. Both platforms seem to run with only one flaw I occasionally see, which is DVArchive 3.2 sometimes loses track of the ReplayTV unit after about 1/2 hour or more of inactivity. Using "File...", "OpenDVR..." seems to cure the loss with just a few mouse clicks. I'm using a wired gigabit network. I'm very happy with this Replay50x0/DVArchive/VLC setup.

Craig
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 PM

I just asked my son to open DVArchive 3.2 (click on dvarchive.jar) on his Windows 7, JRE 1.6 environment. After accepting default locations for DVArchive 3.2 data files in his user account space, DVArchive fired up and displayed all four of the Replay 50x0 units (we don't own any other models) in the house. So I can say DVArchive 3.2 also works under Windows 7/JRE 6. I didn't ask him to try (because he said he wasn't interested), but I'm pretty sure if we configured his DVArchive instance to find VLC, he could have also watched ReplayTV programming on his machine. The DVArchive package is on a network drive accessible by all machines. So the same binary "dvarchive.jar" is being run on all platforms mentioned in my prior post and here. On the Linux machine, VLC is at /usr/bin/vlc and on the Windows machine it is at "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"
post #7 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i had trouble with jre6 update 28 i think , jre7 hAS worked well for me. the pro blem i have with dva and w7 is the ram gets used up and dva crashes, im up to 1g and it still crashes.. i guess thats subject for a new thread however---d
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page