Dish Network 4-Digit channel numbers don't show up in the Channel Guide - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Dishnet has once again rearranged their "ethnic" channel numbers.
My wife's Greek language programming has moved from the old channel 601-605 range to channel 9829 thru 9833 range now.
Problem is... the Replay Channel guide doesn't go into 4-digit channels, so now we can't see her channels in the Channel Guide. I've reset my zipcode- and set the provider as Dishnet- National lineup with no results.
Any Ideas how to get the channel Guide to show the new 4-digit Dish Network channels?

Thanks.... Rob

FWIW- here's the (pretty) current Dish Network channel lineup:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dish_Network_channels_in_the_United_States

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Dishnet has once again rearranged their "ethnic" channel numbers.
My wife's Greek language programming has moved from the old channel 601-605 range to channel 9829 thru 9833 range now.
Problem is... the Replay Channel guide doesn't go into 4-digit channels, so now we can't see her channels in the Channel Guide. I've reset my zipcode- and set the provider as Dishnet- National lineup with no results.
Any Ideas how to get the channel Guide to show the new 4-digit Dish Network channels?
Thanks.... Rob

It is possible that your RTV has remapped the 4-digit channels to an unused 3-digit channel.

Have you scrolled through your RTV Channel Lineup to see if the programming callsign has been moved to something else?

Cheers!
-Doug
post #3 of 13 Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

It is possible that your RTV has remapped the 4-digit channels to an unused 3-digit channel.
Can it do that?
If that has happened (I'll have to look at the Channel Guide), would it still tune to the correct 4-digit channel on the Dishnet receiver via the I.R. balster?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #4 of 13 Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Can it do that?
If that has happened (I'll have to look at the Channel Guide), would it still tune to the correct 4-digit channel on the Dishnet receiver via the I.R. balster?

If Tribune Media has picked up on the change, the simplest way to see if your RTV will tune the correct channel is to go to Setup, and look at the lineup for your service. Those digits are the ones that the RTV will send to the IR blaster, regardless of how they are mapped on your Channel Guide.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #5 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 4 digit channels in my program guide.
I have directv and cable connected,
When I put the directv on the cable went to 4 digits.

All by itself on a 5500.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-20-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55 View Post

All by itself on a 5500.
Understood- but does DTV have native 4-digit channel numbers?
My issue is- we want to watch the Greek language channel "ERT" on Dishnet channel 9830- our Replay guide stops at ch 999.

post #7 of 13 Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:

My issue is- we want to watch the Greek language channel "ERT" on Dishnet channel 9830- our Replay guide stops at ch 999.

The only experience I have is recently with my own 5500. As I said I added a DirecTV box to the unit on another input after a cable input on the tuner.
The Cable channels were shifted by the ReplayTV to 4 digits at that time, 1000+

I suspect this is what is supposed to happen on yours but for some reason it did not.
I suggest what you should try is to reset up the inputs on the ReplayTV and it might handle it all correctly as long as the guide data is correct.
Mine was, but I can't say if the Dish data is correct or not.

You should try and see if it fixes the problem. I think it's supposed to but there are obviously dependencies .
post #8 of 13 Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All by itself on a 5500.
The only experience I have is recently with my own 5500. As I said I added a DirecTV box to the unit on another input after a cable input on the tuner.
The Cable channels were shifted by the ReplayTV to 4 digits at that time, 1000+
I suspect this is what is supposed to happen on yours but for some reason it did not.
I suggest what you should try is to reset up the inputs on the ReplayTV and it might handle it all correctly as long as the guide data is correct.
Mine was, but I can't say if the Dish data is correct or not.
You should try and see if it fixes the problem. I think it's supposed to but there are obviously dependencies .

As Doug explained, the ReplayTV only supports 3-digit channel numbers in the Channel Guide, it uses the 4th digit, when necessary, for different inputs. You can read about it here: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/channelmapping.htm
post #9 of 13 Old 07-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayLurker View Post

As Doug explained, the ReplayTV only supports 3-digit channel numbers in the Channel Guide, it uses the 4th digit, when necessary, for different inputs. You can read about it here: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/channelmapping.htm

I had an exception to this once (on a 2020). I had cable (no digital available then) that used channels 2-71. I then added DirecTV (no local channels). This became:

2-71 cable
100-999 satellite

Nothing was put in the 1xxx area.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-20-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

I had an exception to this once (on a 2020). I had cable (no digital available then) that used channels 2-71. I then added DirecTV (no local channels). This became:
2-71 cable
100-999 satellite
Nothing was put in the 1xxx area.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to get too much into specifics, just explaining the situation. If the RTV can fit multiple input lineups together, it will. Your case had to be pretty special at the time, that DirecTV didn't have any channels under 100, so that's why it could squeeze them together. Anyway, the OP was about having a single channel lineup with more than 3-digit channels, so that's what the page on ReplayTVUpgrade addresses...
post #11 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the info guys- guess I'll have to look through all the channels on the guide to see if our 4-digit Dishnet channels are indeed being remapped to 3-digit channel numbers.
My new Dish 500 Plus dish (for Western Arc coverage) is due to arrive sometime this week- so I'll be installing it next weekend.
Kind of a pita- but, it is what it is at this point with a 10 y.o. system...

Thanks again... Rob

PS- nice thing is, my original Lifetime 5040 crapped out- so I was able to pop it's socketed eeprom out and simply place it in one of the three spare 5040's I had bought for spares last year.

post #12 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBTITLE: Yeah, But, Umm, It *REALLY* Wasn't Necessary. wink.gif
Quote:

...PS- nice thing is, my original Lifetime 5040 crapped out- so I was able to pop it's socketed eeprom out and simply place it in one of the three spare 5040's I had bought for spares last year.
But, you see, as of June/July 2011, *ALL* 5XXXs, both Monthly and Lifetime, became biggrin.gif 'Activated' biggrin.gif (aka Lifetime), so, you really didn't have to bother moving the EEPROM. wink.gif

Read the AVS Archives for that 2-month period for more details.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #13 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

SUBTITLE: Yeah, But, Umm, It *REALLY* Wasn't Necessary. wink.gif
But, you see, as of June/July 2011, *ALL* 5XXXs, both Monthly and Lifetime, became biggrin.gif 'Activated' biggrin.gif (aka Lifetime), so, you really didn't have to bother moving the EEPROM. wink.gif
Read the AVS Archives for that 2-month period for more details.
Yup, thanks- I know all the RTV's are lifetime now- but Since I was moving our 300GB? HD over to the replacement unit- it only took another 20 seconds to swap the eeproms. It also kept my network settings, inputs, remote codes, etc.. this way.
My new dish arrived today... so it's up to the roof next! Found a dish aiming app for my Nexus 7 tablet- I plan on using it for the rough alignment...

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page