Picture quality comparison and request for recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5500 connected directly to cable and a Directv box.

Interestingly the ReplayTV recorded Directv picture is much better looking than the recorded cable.
They are both SD but it's "smoother, sharper".

I have a selection of CECB (coupon eligible converter boxes) that I collected when they were mostly free. I haven't tried any of them.

I have been planning on hooking one up for OTA, I have scanned with the ATSC tuner in the TV and it finds something like 78 channels, or more.

But I know, now that the coupon program is over and Channel Master for example came up with a replacement for their CECB that is "better". It has actual HD, which the CECB couldn't have by law.

Has anyone compared the picture from any CECB on OTA with the new crop of non coupon eligible converters like the Channel Master CM-7001, which has HD and HDMI outputs?

http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_TV_and_HDTV_HD_digital_Antenna_Tuner_CM_7001_s/287.htm

Are there any new converter boxes that have better picture and can be used with ReplayTV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-21-2012, 11:57 AM

I have both a Replay and Channel Master. The Replay is hooked up to cable via cable box. I am on "limited" meaning just the local broadcast stations. The Channel Master 7000 PAL is hooked up to an indoor antenna and I got nearly identical channels on both. My Samsung has HDMI so I can hook up the CM that way. The difference is astonishing between the Replay and CM when the channel is transmitting in HD. On Replay it looks washed out compared to full HD on the CM. In fact I prefer to use the CM to watch HD programs. But the Replay unit has the superior EPG as it is updated nightly. The CM gets its guide information from OTA TV Guide, which is not always accurate compared to Replay. I get extra stations on CM because I can pick up the extra HD broadcast channels not covered in my limited cable subscription. So the difference is pretty obvious: the CM has the better quality digital and my tv (a Samsung) has a digital tuner requiring no converter. I keep the Replay for two main reasons: 1) antenna reception is not always steady (weather etc), 2) The epg is superior to CM and costs nothing as well (TIVO charges monthly or pay upfront, new CM still uses OTA epg but you can pay extra for TV Guide nightly updates via broadband).
post #3 of 3 Old 08-25-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

medtaylor, so you have one of the new non CECB Channel Master units.

Did you have to do anything to get the IRBlaster to work with the RTV 5000, or did it just work and change channels when the RTV told it to?

I have one of the CECB Channel Master STBs but I haven't tried it.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page