Stream live TV from ReplayTV 5000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-22-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to stream live TV from a ReplayTV 5000 to an XBMC box or some other box? I've seen where XBMC can stream recorded shows from a ReplayTV. Basically I am wanting to output live TV from a single Dish Network receiver to multiple tv's over wireless. Running wires in this rent house is not an option. Hardware I currently have:

- Couple ReplayTV 5000's
- PC running 24x7 (no video capture card though)
- Xbox 360
- Original Xbox with XBMC installed

If using a ReplayTV will not work, could anyone recommend the cheapest option. Would like the streaming to be HDTV quality if I have to buy hardware. Note that having the same channel playing on multiple TV's is not an issue. Also, I do not want to pay for multiple boxes through Dish Network. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Not possible from the Replay.

I'm sure there are many distribution systems out there, some wireless--but not doubt all expensive.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-23-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBTITLE: You Can't Make Apple Pie From Oranges...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra View Post

...Hardware I currently have:

- Couple ReplayTV 5000's
- PC running 24x7 (no video capture card though)
- Xbox 360
- Original Xbox with XBMC installed
  1. Is it possible to stream live TV from a ReplayTV 5000 to an XBMC box or some other box?
  2. I've seen where XBMC can stream recorded shows from a ReplayTV.
  3. Basically I am wanting to output live TV from a single Dish Network receiver to multiple tv's over wireless.
  4. If using a ReplayTV will not work, could anyone recommend the cheapest option. Would like the streaming to be HDTV quality if I have to buy hardware. Note that having the same channel playing on multiple TV's is not an issue. Also, I do not want to pay for multiple boxes through Dish Network. Thanks.
  1. Sort of...
    If you download the shows from a ReplayTV to a PC running DVArchive or WiRNS, you can then use a Media Streamer to view those shows. I've successfully used both the Patriot PBO and the Seagate FAT+; don't have an XBMC so can't answer for that. Be aware that you'll LOSE Commercial Advance.
  2. Please post the LINK. Until then, I don't believe that is possible. ReplayTVs are *VERY* fussy about who they'll talk to.
  3. As long as *ALL* of the Multiple TVs will be happy watching the *SAME* channel, since most Cable / Satellite receivers have single dedicated tuners; DVRs have 2, but you can't control which one you'll feed to the 'House' - the 'Last One Selected' will usually be the chosen one. WIRELESS is *NEVER* a good idea for streaming - *ESPECIALLY* for Multiple TVs.
  4. ReplayTV is 'Old School' 480i (or is it p? confused.gif ) SD MAX. There is *NO* CHEAP OPTION to record and then stream HDTV. SEARCH the AVS HTPC Forum for "Assassin's Guide" for several hours of reading to enable you to firm up your requirements and re-estimate how much you wish to spend.

Can you install an OTA Antenna? Will you ever need to watch / record CBS / NBC / ABC 'Prime Time' simultaneously?

If you had Cable / FiOS, you'd have 'ClearQAM' channels that you could record with a Magnavox DVDR w/HDD or a SiliconDust HDHR3-US 2-Tuner device. But, with Satellite, I feel that you're STUCK with using a Hauppauge PVR-1212, recording *EVERYTHING* - 'ClearQAM' *AND* 'ScrambledQAM' - to either a PC with a large HDD, or using Task Scheduler to copy the files from the PC to a NAS from which your Media Streamers could present them to your TVs. But, I would NEVER try WIRELESS - *IF* you have 'N', you could give it a shot - but, overall, NO ONE recommends wireless...
Bottom Line: If you insist on wireless, I'd look into DVArchive and/or WiRNS for the reduced bandwidth requirements. SEVERAL ReplayTV streams could fit in the space required by ONE HDTV stream.

Good Luck! smile.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page