Problem with manual recording from RF3 Direct - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I used to have my 5500 connected to my digital cable box using RCA connectors. If I wanted to record something from On Demand, I would use the Input button to switch to Line 1, use the cable box's remote to go into On Demand and find the show. I would then press the RTV's Record button, set the recording time, then press the On Demand play button, and it would create a manual recording from this input and record the show.

After replacing my hard drive today, when I was hooking everything back up, I was having trouble with my audio input. I tried replacing the RCA cables, but it didn't help. So I changed the connection to use coax. Watching live TV and recording shows from the guide works fine.

But I just now tried to record something from On Demand. I followed the same procedure as above, except I selected RF3 Direct as the input. But the recording never starts -- I get an empty manual recording and it says that no video was detected. But it obviously had a video input, since I was looking at the screen live through the RTV when I was starting the recording.

Any idea what could be wrong?

I'm working around it by creating a manual recording from the main menu, and selecting channel 1 as the channel to record. I just have to leave extra time to go through all the On Demand menus after the recording starts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is just a wild guess, but since you dealing with On Demand programs, I'll bet you running into "copy protection" of some sort. To test that out, why not try to record something from a regular cable station on the cable, using your same digital cable box. The only reason I can see that happening when you changed your hard drive was a change to the software on the drive that you didn't have before.

Don H
Old 07-30-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

If it were copy protection, wouldn't it also affect the manual recording that I create with the workaround? Also, at the time that I start the recording, I'm not even playing the program, I'm still on the menu screen -- I click the On Demand "Play" button after starting the recording.

I'm starting to think that it has something to do with creating a manual recording with the start time in the past rather than the future. When you click the Record button, it initiates creation of a manual recording with the current time as the start. But if I create a manual recording through the menu, I usually set the start time for a minute or so in the future, then wait for the recording to start before I go through the On Demand menus.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm not sure what you cable box is. In my market, the cable company uses Motorola. The channel 3 output is analog, and copy protection doesn't exists on the analog ch 3 output. Therefore, there's no problem recording anything and everything. The DVR that is in the cabinet next to my cable box is a TIVO series 3. They, unfortunately, don't have in line inputs on them. So, I don't have a handy way to record from thel line out on the cable box. I'm not sure if it analog or not. I have heard of other people trying to use them to record to a VCR line in, without success.

Good luck,

Don H