Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 173 Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

It will still be WiRNS and Schedules Direct for internet capable boxes...

Why? The DNNA servers are still working just fine for internet capable ReplayTVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 173 Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayLurker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

It will still be WiRNS and Schedules Direct for internet capable boxes...

Why? The DNNA servers are still working just fine for internet capable ReplayTVs.
True, and of course SS has no internet option, but dialup is working almost fine.

When I do have to restore the Guide, I can tell if I've got a brisk connection after a zip change in less than a minute, after which I cancel and try again later.

What I don't understand is why the SS takes so very long (10 min?) to finish "stopping" after I tell it to cancel the connection.
post #93 of 173 Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
sometimes it takes a long time for mr ethernet connections to cancel--even over ten minutes--dont worry about it. if someone needs a working phone number i have one
post #94 of 173 Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 PM

My usual method to restore a failed Guide download had been: in Setup, change to another zip within TV service area, cancel when the connection is not brisk, try again later. After success, click through the settings & immediately force a net connect via the 243/Zones menu.

I now realize that the zip change is not needed; just hit STOP to delete the zip, cursor left, hit CONTINUE, and re-enter the zip. This prompts a dial-in.

(Latest crisis averted; SS lives on :-) )
post #95 of 173 Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
That worked! Thanks biggrin.gif

Arvy
post #96 of 173 Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

My usual method to restore a failed Guide download had been: in Setup, change to another zip within TV service area, cancel when the connection is not brisk, try again later. After success, click through the settings & immediately force a net connect via the 243/Zones menu.

I now realize that the zip change is not needed; just hit STOP to delete the zip, cursor left, hit CONTINUE, and re-enter the zip. This prompts a dial-in.

After latest SS Guide restore, as above, instead of forcing a 243/Zones connect, I tried letting the nightly connect do it. >> Success!! I'll let you know if it reproduces; write if it works for you.
post #97 of 173 Old 06-14-2013, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I saw mine SS trying Sunday morning about 6 am to get a progame update, with no success. I let it wait till Monday, and it's fine now.
post #98 of 173 Old 06-14-2013, 04:50 PM

Never works that way for me; once my SS has failed to update the Guide, it won't update by itself, ever. BTDT.
post #99 of 173 Old 07-19-2013, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrdan View Post

sometimes it takes a long time for mr ethernet connections to cancel--even over ten minutes--dont worry about it. if someone needs a working phone number i have one
i posted this number and it still works as of 7/19/13 in this pm witch im now posting here for all: sorry it took so long to check in again--this number worked thru a town 20 miles from me a few months ago--1-732-751-4002. ok i just dialed thru with it and it does work but it may only work in the daytime so a manual connect is in order as per your plan anyway. let us know how it works and if its cost effective. im gong to post this pm so others get the number. it costs me 1.00 + 10c ents a minute so i dont want to keep checking it---d
post #100 of 173 Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 AM

Update - my local # works most of the time, but has been failing to update the Guide (over POTS) with increasing frequency (restoring not a problem using brisk response method previously described). Failure rate has progressed from months to weeks to partial weeks; wonder if others are noticing this.
post #101 of 173 Old 08-08-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:

(restoring not a problem using brisk response method previously described). Failure rate has progressed from months to weeks to partial weeks...

How many times do you typically have to manually kick off a dial connect to achieve a "brisk response" to reset the failure?
post #102 of 173 Old 08-08-2013, 05:56 PM

Well. I might regret saying this, but my SS 2000 rarely ever misses a connect. I hope it doesn't come back and make a liar out of me.
post #103 of 173 Old 08-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwz View Post

Quote:

(restoring not a problem using brisk response method previously described). Failure rate has progressed from months to weeks to partial weeks...

How many times do you typically have to manually kick off a dial connect to achieve a "brisk response" to reset the failure?

# of times is variable; maybe 4-6 on average. Sometimes 2 or 3, sometimes 7 or 8. I can tell in a few minutes if it's not brisk, so I cancel out and try later; I usually can restore within a few days, putting in ~10 minutes total.
post #104 of 173 Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:

# of times is variable; maybe 4-6 on average. Sometimes 2 or 3, sometimes 7 or 8. I can tell in a few minutes if it's not brisk, so I cancel out and try later; I usually can restore within a few days, putting in ~10 minutes total.

The next time you lose your channel guide, consider trying the number posted by srfrdan. That appears to be a working "alternate" number. Alternate numbers don't have the "non-brisk" connection problem.
post #105 of 173 Old 08-12-2013, 11:18 AM

gring40's method also works best for me. I would like to add: 1) If the number you have been using was working fine, changing the telephone number won't help (barring a very slight risk that the number you have been using has been removed from service.) 2) It does not seem to matter when you call.

I find that if, after your SS hangs on "connection established", it is fastest to hold down the power button for about 10 seconds to force a "warm reboot." After the machine reboots, repeat the procedure through "Menu", "Setup," ... Don't try 243 Zones until you have success with "Setup." Success may only take one try, but sometimes takes a lot, maybe as many as 20.

When going through the setup after the phone connection ends normally, always pause for a few seconds at "What is connected to the Line 1 input?" If I don't, I find that my machines often "hang."

Once in a while, a machine enters the "out of the box" sequence after a warm reboot. Just follow the instructions, the machine remembers your phone number, zip code, etc. Once you succeed through setup, you can go to 243 Zones and download the guide, or just let the machine update the guide during the next nightly connection.
post #106 of 173 Old 08-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Well crunch, I respectfully disagree with most everything in your last post. But if you like banging your head against a wall for a few days to repopulate your channel guide, I guess that's your choice. My mom's SS lost it's guide. I had to do other stuff to restore it, but now that I see that some "alternate numbers' actually work, using one of those would have saved me a lot of time.
post #107 of 173 Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Don't mind trying an alternate #, although last I looked, the concensus was they were all down, and I wasn't getting any response at all. I'm not paying for a non-local connection, though, mostly on principle.

I wouldn't call the 'brisk' restore method hard, however, since it only takes 10 minutes spread over a few days, and has worked for me dozens of times, without fail. Glad to hear it's working for others as well.
post #108 of 173 Old 08-16-2013, 10:14 AM

The advice is for SS owners who have been getting schedule updates and have not changed their local phone service provider. However, if you are using a telephone service other than your local phone company, be sure to check with your service provider to make sure that the service supports modems.

When your SS calls in following the "Change Dialing & Input Settings" sequence, it is calling a toll free number that is the same for everyone. Once you succeed by going beyond the "Connection established" status, making choices from the menus, etc., you should be able to force a network connect through 243-Zones and get a schedule download from the number that you were using previously. I have several SS machines connected to the same phone line and have used this method many times, sometimes more than once a week.

The problem with failing to connect appears to be with addresses programmed into the machines. At one time, there may have been several "server farm" addresses and the machines always address the same one as long as the previous access succeeded. If not, on the next attempt, the machine tried another address from its list. Thus, when we reset the machine following its hanging on "Connection established", it tries a different address on the next call. I don't know if the choice is made in some random fashion or if the next address in a fixed sequence is chosen. However, the number of tries needed to get a valid address does appear to be random.

Anyway, it makes sense that some of the server farms have been removed from service and machines hang trying to connect to an invalid address. If so, we need some way to update the address lists in our machines to remove invalid addresses.
post #109 of 173 Old 08-19-2013, 05:32 PM

Dial up who in this day and age use dial-up .I thought you could connect with Ethernet For the program guide why would you need dial-up unless you have no choose but to use dialup if you have no high speed in your area .
post #110 of 173 Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 AM

The early ReplayTV machines and Panasonic Showstopper machines have an internal dialup modem but no ethernet port. There is a way to connect the phone lines on these machines to a modem in a computer and reach the internet for schedule updates. Considerable work went into putting that all together when it was announced that the electronic program guide would no longer be supported. Details are provided here:

http://wiki.xmltv.org/index.php/ReplayTV

It does require some effort to set that up, but it is the preferred, long term, solution. The above link will take you to the details.
post #111 of 173 Old 10-14-2013, 03:53 PM

Hi there,

I see this thread has not been very active lately, and I'm hoping that's a good sign for those of you who have had connection errors.

Mine stopped working last week. I saw the program guide just slipping away, but since it had been working absolutely flawlessly, I figured it would eventually download.

I have the RTV 3000 series, and nothing has changed in my phone service. (Time Warner, SoCal)

I have tried just about everything I could think of, as well as many of your tips here.

Where we stand now is ... nowhere. frown.gif

I've cleared the program guide twice. I've changed area codes, prefixes, zip codes, modem speeds... over and over and over, and all to no avail.

We no longer have the accessibility to even get the access phone numbers.

Here is the constant result of trying:

dial
connect
contact server
set clock
set timezone
disconnect with network connect error. frown.gif

And yes, I've rebooted.

I also tried 243 Zones to connect, and this was the result:

checking service activation
setting the clock
checking for new channels
checking for new info about Replay Zone 1-18
transferring additional information

now checking for new phone numbers
transferring additional information
checking for new replay tv software
There was a problem transferring information from the RTV service
Your RTV will try again later.

I would be so very appreciative for any and all help that you might provide.
post #112 of 173 Old 10-15-2013, 04:55 PM

Sorry to say my SS also lost the Guide last week, and though the 'brisk connection' method (describe above) had been working over and over, this time it just didn't. Kept trying for about 5 days, then bailed and retired the SS and popped in a used 5500 as backup. Guide is still available online, FWIW.
post #113 of 173 Old 10-15-2013, 08:12 PM

Sorry to have to report this, but one of my Panasonic Showstopper dial up machines failed to update the guide a week ago and, despite well over a hundred tries using the "Change Dialing and Input Method" that I've described previously, I've been unsuccessful with getting beyond the "connection established" stage. In the past, it might have taken just a few tries or maybe, at the most, 20 or 30 tries, but I always succeeded. The other machines continued to do the nightly updates until now, but a second machine has failed to update. I am at a loss as to what to do at this point, other than go to the WIRNS solution, which will take some effort on my part, since I will probably have to set up a dedicated computer with modem just to keep my machines updated.
post #114 of 173 Old 10-15-2013, 09:40 PM

Uh oh,,,, sounds like I'm not the only one...
post #115 of 173 Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Kween, you said "nothing has changed in my phone service. (Time Warner, SoCal)". You may not have changed anything, but there's no way to know that Time Warner hasn't. That pretty much goes for everyone (no idea if your local or long distance providers changed anything).

I think it's a safe bet if you have POTS (plain old telephone service) from a traditional phone company you're still being served by a digital switch (5ESS, DMS100, etc) and your "local loop" probably hasn't changed. Your calls are encoded to a full 64kbs no compression and switched using very low latency circuit switching techniques. Modems/faxes work great with this setup on local calls.

For everyone else, (VoIP, Cable phone, etc) all bets are off. They probably use packet switching and probably even compress the data to make things more efficient. Yes, you can get more calls down a wire, but the latency increases and that and compression makes modem use very difficult. If it worked yesterday, it may not today because the call could be routed differently or equipment somewhere is "upgraded" to be more efficient.

Now let's add long distance into the mix. While a traditional phone company may not have replaced it's switches, the long-distance market is very competitive and more modern. They are much more likely to use packet switching and even VoIP making modem calls less reliable.

For the LaHo dialup modem, I have a single POTS line with a high quality modem right next to me (US Robotics V.Everything). I know I'm connected to a 5ESS switch less than a mile away. Very often I hear folks try and call and are unable to connect. Their modem tones sound great on the speaker, but the modems just don't sync up. It hurts to hear them keep trying smile.gif

I think those folks who can't connect to me, can't connect to ReplayTV (well, Earthlink, or whoever) for the same reason. The technology has changed and they no longer have full bandwidth low latency connections. There's nothing we can do about it. Like analog TV, I'm thinking a modem's time is almost up.

If you want to keep using a ReplayTV reliably, you should upgrade to an Ethernet connected unit. (4k or 5k). They're cheap and should keep working no matter what happens to the ReplayTV service or dialup.

For now, if you want you can try calling the LaHo test line. (search the forum for LaHo Goodwill, or read at Percdata.com for instructions ) If you want me to listen in on this end we can set up a time convenient to both of us.

Note 1: I work in voice telecom on systems doing routing and billing. I'm somewhat familiar with how these systems and industry work, but am certainly not an expert, nor do I know how your particular system is set up. I've been playing with modems since the early 80's. (Novation Cat acoustic! @300bps)

Note 2: I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping the LaHo modem line around. It's costing $36/mo and there are no paying customers using it. One person uses it to set their clock daily, so I know it's working smile.gif. It's been a while since it passed guide data to anyone. LaHo isn't going away, but the modem line might.

:Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #116 of 173 Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Robert, thank you. PM sent. smile.gif
post #117 of 173 Old 10-17-2013, 11:11 AM

I have 4 Panasonic Showstoppers connected to the same telephone line. At first, one of them failed to get nightly schedule updates and the "Change Dialing ... method failed to work as it had always done in the past, but the others continued to update late at night normally for over a week. Now, a second machine is failing to get nightly updates, but the remaining 2 machines are continuing to update.

I am inclined to rule out the phone line, which is POTS provided by the local phone company. I tend also to rule out the telephone company trunk connections to the local access lines connected to AT&T's modems (from which, the connections are made via the internet to the ReplayTV servers.) The toll free 800 number accessed by "Change Dialing ..." could be a variable, but I've removed it by programming the local number as an access code. The sequence routinely, though not always, reaches the "connection established" state, where it, now, always hangs.

It is possible that time of day makes a difference. I haven't tried late at night. A packet based connection might work better at night due to a reduction in packet traffic. Furthermore, if the ReplayTV servers are taken off line in the daytime and placed back in service at night, that would explain the problems that we are having.
post #118 of 173 Old 10-23-2013, 01:48 PM

Well, I don't like to brag, but untill today, I haven't had a failure since 8/21/13. As I say, it failed today, I forced a connection with 243 zone. The DVR connected and that was all. No clock set, nothing. Will try again tomorrow.
post #119 of 173 Old 10-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Just to update. Got an auto connect today which completed. All Ok.
post #120 of 173 Old 10-24-2013, 06:03 PM

Hey All,
I have 2 pv-hs2000's & I am having the EXACT SAME problem kween described in post #112 above. Ok the weird thing is 1 SS just fixed [?] itself magically! & the other just hangs like kween's post. Any body have any ideas? I have tried all the usual fixes to no avail. I finally re-set the hanginging SS back to factory defaults and still no joy. It dials out, connects, sets time zones yada-yada-yada and returns "Network connect error" after about 15 minutes of connect time. At this point I am thinking pull the drive & re-image it to see if that helps, has any one done this "drastic" of a fix? Not sure if I should use the image off the working unit or one from the web. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks ALL!

Jack of All, master of NONE
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page