Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 173 Old 02-03-2014, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post

Would you post or PM me with the number that works for you so I can try it?

I'm already slow on the medem settings, but can try slowing down further.

thanks,

Joe

Number PM'ed..

Don H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 173 Old 02-04-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Don. I'll give it a try tonight.

Joe

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #153 of 173 Old 02-04-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

IAs far as the clock resetting to 1999, that happens after a power failure when your clock capacitor/battery has worn out. Once it connects via dialup it should reset the clock. (you can also replace the capacitor)

As far as not getting local stations when calling a non-local number, it doesn't work that way. The Area Code question in setup is used to present a list of phone numbers. The zip code question is used to present lineups. There doesn't have to be any correlation of the two.

As far as a new 4k, 5k getting auto-registered that should happen calling ReplayTV's servers. If it doesn't you can connect to LaHo or WiRNS V3 and that will activate it. (only the LaHo dialup was shut down, network units can connect).

Robert

Robert,

The clock isn't resetting because since the power outages (which may have instigated the problem), it isn't connecting.

I'm not sure what your point is about local stations -- I tried changing area codes on the screen you speak of to force a dial in for new local numbers, and I don't get anywhere with it. It lock up at "connection established", doesn't reset the clock, doesn't download new numbers, and stays that way until it times out or I reboot it. Then, if I try dialing in again (either a "normal" call in to update the channel guide or another attemtp to get local numbers), it does the same thing over again.

I'm going to look into upgrading to a 5000 series. In the short run, I could let it connect in my office once a week and then bring it back to the TV in between, right? Until I am able to get a WRT54G?

Thanks,

Joe

post #154 of 173 Old 02-05-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

In the short run, I could let it connect in my office once a week and then bring it back to the TV in between, right? Until I am able to get a WRT54G?

Since your unit loses its clock settings when the power fails, I would expect the same result after unplugging it.

You could bring the unit to a place when it can dial in, set its clock, and let it update, but when you bring it home, its clock will think it's 1999 again.... since its been unplugged during the duration of your commute. No different that a power failure in the eyes of your SS.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #155 of 173 Old 02-05-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, Don's number isn't working for me. I tried slowing down to 9600 Baud and it didn't make a difference.

I was NOT under the impression that clocks were lost after a power outage. I seem to remember recordings occurring as normal after an outage before a nightly dial in. I thought there was a battery that kept time. It seems fishy to me that both units (one a Panasonic, one a Replay, bough a couple years apart) would lose their batteries at the same time. I wonder if a power surge did something to the hardware?

Anyway, this seems to be it for now.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Joe

post #156 of 173 Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was NOT under the impression that clocks were lost after a power outage. I seem to remember recordings occurring as normal after an outage before a nightly dial in. I thought there was a battery that kept time. It seems fishy to me that both units (one a Panasonic, one a Replay, bough a couple years apart) would lose their batteries at the same time. I wonder if a power surge did something to the hardware?

Rechargeable batteries lose their ability to hold a charge over time. I have had to replace the rechargeables in my clock radio, Motorola FRS radios, iPod, cell phone, and cordless phone numerous times over their lives.

The other method to "keep time" would be a capacitor. Those, too, fail over time. The capacitors in my CM7000s failed and required replacement.

Nothing lasts forever. Especially electronics.

The batteries in your RTV and Panny may have "failed" at different times, but you may not have noticed since the power was not out for an extended period...

Cheers!
-Doug
post #157 of 173 Old 02-06-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi, folks:
I've become desperate!
I live in NYC (Queens to be more specific). I'm using Time Warner digital phone.
I've been getting consistent connections on a Showstopper (with TWC phone). Several months ago I was losing the guide and simply changed the modem speed to 14.4. That's all I did and it started connecting again.
Now suddenly, no matter what I do, I can't get a successful connection! It's been this way for a week. I've tried various numbers, various modem speeds and even left a phone off during the connection process (thinking it might slow the modem down even further, since even 9600 didn't work).
I'm at my wits end. I had this same issue with my 5000 unit and had to switch to broadband.
I could never quite understand why the Showstopper worked like a charm using TWC phone service and the 5000 didn't but after talking to Replay and them convincing me that their servers were OK, I conceded and switched the 5000 to broadband (I resisted because I have a very limited budget and truly can't afford additional monthly charges). I'm not using a computer at home and don't require broadband (except for the 5000).
Now I'm really stuck (since broadband isn't an option with the Showstopper)!!
Is there an known issue with their servers?
Unfortunately, I can't switch to an alternate area (for other phone numbers that would still be compatible with TWC in NYC) since it won't complete the connection to the mother ship.
HELP!!!!......what (if anything) can I do?
PLEASE!.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!
post #158 of 173 Old 02-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Hi, folks:
I've become desperate!
I live in NYC (Queens to be more specific). I'm using Time Warner digital phone.
I've been getting consistent connections on a Showstopper (with TWC phone). Several months ago I was losing the guide and simply changed the modem speed to 14.4. That's all I did and it started connecting again.
Now suddenly, no matter what I do, I can't get a successful connection! It's been this way for a week. I've tried various numbers, various modem speeds and even left a phone off during the connection process (thinking it might slow the modem down even further, since even 9600 didn't work).
I'm at my wits end. I had this same issue with my 5000 unit and had to switch to broadband.
I could never quite understand why the Showstopper worked like a charm using TWC phone service and the 5000 didn't but after talking to Replay and them convincing me that their servers were OK, I conceded and switched the 5000 to broadband (I resisted because I have a very limited budget and truly can't afford additional monthly charges). I'm not using a computer at home and don't require broadband (except for the 5000).
Now I'm really stuck (since broadband isn't an option with the Showstopper)!!
Is there an known issue with their servers?
Unfortunately, I can't switch to an alternate area (for other phone numbers that would still be compatible with TWC in NYC) since it won't complete the connection to the mother ship.
HELP!!!!......what (if anything) can I do?
PLEASE!.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

What number are you using in NYC?

Don H.
post #159 of 173 Old 02-07-2014, 04:18 AM

Thanks for responding!
I've now officially used each and every phone number listed for my area (14 in total)!
The area covers Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island, NY
The number that I was using all along is:
718-807-2909. As I mentioned previously, I'm unable to test numbers outside of my area, since I have the same problem when attempting to connect to (what i assume is) the mother ship.
In the interim, I tested the unit in a friend's home. He's using Verizon Fios. I believe that it's also digital phone (vs. plain old copper wire). Interestingly enough, when I lost my dial up service on the 5000, it worked fine with his Verizon Fios. Now, even the Showstopper won't make a successful connection there.
I'm thinking that the server (or servers) may be down.
The final test (in my opinion) would be for me to test the Showstopper on an plain old copper phone line (to attempt to rule out any potential issue with my unit).
If the server(s) are down, my unit would fail to connect on a basic (analog) phone line as well.
It will be a challenge, since everyone that I can think of has digital phone service.
First things first.....
is the server (or servers) down?
Any additional help would be greatly appreciated!
post #160 of 173 Old 02-07-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks for responding!
I've now officially used each and every phone number listed for my area (14 in total)!
The area covers Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island, NY
The number that I was using all along is:
718-807-2909. As I mentioned previously, I'm unable to test numbers outside of my area, since I have the same problem when attempting to connect to (what i assume is) the mother ship.
In the interim, I tested the unit in a friend's home. He's using Verizon Fios. I believe that it's also digital phone (vs. plain old copper wire). Interestingly enough, when I lost my dial up service on the 5000, it worked fine with his Verizon Fios. Now, even the Showstopper won't make a successful connection there.
I'm thinking that the server (or servers) may be down.
The final test (in my opinion) would be for me to test the Showstopper on an plain old copper phone line (to attempt to rule out any potential issue with my unit).
If the server(s) are down, my unit would fail to connect on a basic (analog) phone line as well.
It will be a challenge, since everyone that I can think of has digital phone service.
First things first.....
is the server (or servers) down?
Any additional help would be greatly appreciated!

The Servers are not down. All can say is I use the Primary number is the 212 AC, and it works fine. I did have to slow down my modem to 31.2. I (knock on wood) haven't had any trouble connecting since then. And yes, I am using AT&T pots service.

I'm using a Showstopper Panasonic DVR. I think it's a model 2000. I have model 5040 and as much as I have played with it, it won't work as a dialup.
It hasn't had a connection in well over a year. It is at the far end of the house and has no interconnection available. But it still works with manual records. The clock has drifted off a few min. But I can live with that.
Don H
post #161 of 173 Old 02-07-2014, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the input!
If the servers aren't down, then should it really matter which phone number I'm using? The 718 and 347 numbers I have access to may even feed off the same server as the 212 numbers.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to switch to the 212 numbers, since no matter what I do, I can't connect.
You're using AT&T pots service (which is actually Verizon lines). I'm using TWC digital phone and my friend is using Fios digital phone. What confuses me is what is the likelihood that both of them made changes (simultaneously) that may be interfering with the modems in these units?
I get the impression that if I connected my unit to a pots line it would dial out successfully.
This is not an option for me, since, where I live, the pots lines are so bad that just about everyone had to switch to TWC digital phone.
Otherwise, whenever it rains, the service cuts out (I'm not exaggerating)!
This remains a serious problem for me!
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
post #162 of 173 Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input!
If the servers aren't down, then should it really matter which phone number I'm using? The 718 and 347 numbers I have access to may even feed off the same server as the 212 numbers.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to switch to the 212 numbers, since no matter what I do, I can't connect.
You're using AT&T pots service (which is actually Verizon lines). I'm using TWC digital phone and my friend is using Fios digital phone. What confuses me is what is the likelihood that both of them made changes (simultaneously) that may be interfering with the modems in these units?
I get the impression that if I connected my unit to a pots line it would dial out successfully.

VOIP phone service will more likely fail to work with old modems and fax machines. It's just the conversion of sound to IP packets and the reconstruction of the data on the other end. Look at is this way. VOIP (Your TWC Phone Service) is like a low-bitrate mp3 audio file. You need uncompressed wav.
Quote:
This remains a serious problem for me!
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Getting your dial-up only unit to work with broadband is probably more trouble than its worth. Since you write that you are on a fixed income, here is what I recommend.

1. Sign-up for TWC Everyday low cost internet... $15/mo. for 2 Mbps. Way fast enough for anything you will need. (I had their Lite Internet - 1 Mbps, and had NO ISSUES what-so-ever with speed for what I needed to do -- and yes, I streamed to a Roku over that connection)
2. Get yourself a MagicJack Plus. ($30 / year or something) When it arrives, have your existing phone number ported to the Magic Jack. If you don't mind a new number, just get a new number.
3. Cancel your TWC phone service.

You will then have broadband internet, and phone service at home for less than $20 / mo. Maybe a little more if you need to rent a modem from TWC. You may wish to invest in a cheap router and buy a modem so you need not rent one.

Do you use TWC for TV?

You can also buy 5000 series RTVs for almost nothing, and just use them via broadband.

The more copper gets replaced by fiber and VOIP, the less stable modems and faxes will be.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #163 of 173 Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 AM

Thanks, Doug!
As I mentioned in my original post, I have broadband (specifically the $14.99 variety).
I'm using it currently for the 5000 unit. My phone service is only $9.99 (one year promotion). I'm uncertain as to whether or not to use a magic jack, since my primary concern is to be able to use the Showstopper. I'm assuming (for now) that the magic jack will be incompatible with the Showstopper's modem.
What's confusing about all of this is that, even though I'm acknowledging that digital phone can be problematic for the Showstopper, it was generally reliable for years.
What could have suddenly caused this conflict with TWC digital phone (literally over night)?
Is there a possibility that a different modem (either from TWC or my own) could help?
Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thank you again!!
post #164 of 173 Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's confusing about all of this is that, even though I'm acknowledging that digital phone can be problematic for the Showstopper, it was generally reliable for years.
What could have suddenly caused this conflict with TWC digital phone (literally over night)?
Is there a possibility that a different modem (either from TWC or my own) could help?
Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thank you again!!

What sounds perfectly fine to the human ear does not sound perfectly fine between two modems.

As more and more copper (in the infrastructure) is replaced, different algorithms will be used to convert the signal from one medium to the other. Information is lost at each conversion. Again, not perceptible to the human ear, but to computers... yes.

I was under the impression you wanted home phone service, thus is the reason for suggesting the magic jack plus, as it will be much cheaper than anything the cable company will sell you. You could have land-line VOIP, and broadband internet for less than $20 / mo (assuming you don't need to rent anything -- modem / router). You are correct to assume that you will have the same problems with the MJ and SS as you have with TWC Digiphone and the SS.

You will eventually need to give up the SS unless you want to host your own dial-up server... and again, I don't think that is worth the trouble. Just acquire another 5000 series RTV. They occasionally are put up for adoption here for the cost of shipping....

Cheers!
-Doug
post #165 of 173 Old 02-09-2014, 01:24 PM

You're using AT&T pots service (which is actually Verizon lines). [/quote]

No. I'm retired from Bellsouth and live in New Orleans, La. Trust me, I'm using AT&T pots service.

Don H
post #166 of 173 Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 AM

I live in Ohio, and the same thing happened to me with twc.  I called twc, and they told me that even though they are digital, their phone lines still work with analog devices such as fax machines and dvrs...  I don't think they wanted to help me..lol.

post #167 of 173 Old 02-12-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
When I had AT&T DSL I was able to do dialup and FAX through my OOMA VoIP phone.

When I switched to Time Warner Internet, it would never work.

I recently switched to AT&T UVerse and once again faxes work. (haven't tried dialup)

Latency and jitter were both fine according to http://phonepower.com/speedtest but jitter was about 3 with Time Warner, and now only 0.5 with UVerse. Voice quality was fine on both.

My point is there are lots of variables in "modern" phone systems you can't see. Even with POTS, you never know how it's being routed any more!

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #168 of 173 Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 PM

I still can't connect the ss 2000.  I did the test on my time warner  phone line. 1.2 ms jitter no packet loss.  4.1 mos.  Any chance dial up numbers  aren't working?  It says it's connecting.  gets to time zone, then disconnects.  It won't let me force connect.  I've tried all the tricks.  Replay customer service says it's my phone line, but twc says it's fine.  I'm lost.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

post #169 of 173 Old 02-16-2014, 03:01 PM

Well, knock on wood, my SS 2000 still connects about every 3 days without a failure. If it's still possible to get pots line from your local telco, I'd kick that TWC bundle phone to the
curb and go with a pots line. you don't have to get all the bells and whistles on it. Just get Touchtone which a lot of places is free.

Don H.
post #170 of 173 Old 07-10-2014, 07:18 PM

No response again.

I hate to ask this, but is anyone having trouble with dialup to Longview, Tx? This started yesterday for me. So far, I still have a program guide, for the time being. Rebooting would loose all that, So, I don't want to do that until the guide runs out. Hoping this will clear up by it's self. I did a 243 zone connect. At first, I got no answer. I dialed the number myself, and it did answer. I tried a couple of more times, I got "Replay failed to transfer data" error. Tonite, I tried again. It connected with a very slow transfer.
Just thought I see if anyone else was having trouble. The number dialed is 903-220-0022. And yes, the modem is slowed to 31.2, I think.

Don H.
post #171 of 173 Old 07-11-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
I hate to ask this, but is anyone having trouble with dialup to Longview, Tx? This started yesterday for me. So far, I still have a program guide, for the time being. Rebooting would loose all that, So, I don't want to do that until the guide runs out. Hoping this will clear up by it's self. I did a 243 zone connect. At first, I got no answer. I dialed the number myself, and it did answer. I tried a couple of more times, I got "Replay failed to transfer data" error. Tonite, I tried again. It connected with a very slow transfer.
Just thought I see if anyone else was having trouble. The number dialed is 903-220-0022. And yes, the modem is slowed to 31.2, I think.

Don H.
That's the number I've been using for my 2020. I got a similar error message.
It never has before, but this time slowing the modem down to 31.2K works, although it's very slow.
post #172 of 173 Old 07-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
That's the number I've been using for my 2020. I got a similar error message.
It never has before, but this time slowing the modem down to 31.2K works, although it's very slow.
I've never seen it actually work that slow, Usually it just says "can't transfer data, will try again later. Maybe it's actually working, and faking me out. One can always hope. The last time I booted this thing, it lost its date and time. And essentially became a boat anchor. The Longview Tx connection brought it back to life. I will watch it to see happens. I've got unlimited long distance, so I don't care how long it takes, as long as it does it! I should be used to slow. I've still got an XP computer running.
Thanks again.

Last edited by wtkflhn; 07-11-2014 at 02:42 PM.
post #173 of 173 Old 07-11-2014, 08:05 PM

bee.net numbers work!

Please see my post at the end of the "Did Replay TV go out of business?" thread. (No one has posted afterward so far!) I have been using the http://local.bee.net numbers for over a month now with very successful results. They may appear as primary or alternate numbers in some areas, but not for me! You will likely need to program the selected number as a prefix. If you have set a slower baud rate, after you achieve success, try increasing the baud rate.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page